What players do you expect to see in Mechwarrior: Online?

119 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Insane

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:43 PM

CoD "spray and pray" guys? Arma II "teamwork" players? MW1,2,3, and 4 players?

I definitely expect to see some Mechwarrior veterans, no doubt about that: but I can't quite see too many CoD-style gamers trying it because if they saw the trailer, they most likely think the gameplay is far too slow.
As far as teamwork goes...yes. Lots of it. At least that's what I hope for in the average MW:O player. Just have to wait and see imo.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: I'm surprised at how fast this thread grew. It's cool seeing other peoples' side of things. :blink:

Edited by Mr Insane, 09 June 2012 - 05:02 AM.

#2 Serevn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 472 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

The swarm of Russians from World of Tanks. :blink:

#3 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:46 PM

I see dead ones. They're everywhere.

#4 FactorlanP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • LocationMy Wallet is closed until I see real progress.

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:47 PM

I expect Mech player fun... Lots of it... Nuff said...

Edited by FactorlanP, 08 June 2012 - 08:50 PM.

#5 Mr Insane

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

View PostSerevn, on 08 June 2012 - 08:45 PM, said:

The swarm of Russians from World of Tanks. :wub:

That just made my day. Although it wouldn't be surprising to see some WoT players here. Especially considering I am one :blink:...well, started like a week ago. Played in Beta (closed or open, idr. I just know a code was involved) WoT, so...yea. I guess kind of veteran?

#6 ShoveI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 208 posts
  • LocationSolaris

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:22 PM

I've already had a few gamer buddies say they weren't interested in playing it because the gameplay seemed too slow for them, which is understandable based on their gameplay. Others are extremely excited about it while others are willing to try it out and see. I think this is pretty much gonna be the consensus of most of the people out there.

Overall though, I believe that most new players to MWO, that aren't following it on these boards, will most likely be picking a heavy or an assault to begin with. This coming from the assumption that they will make little effort to actually research the different roles/aspects of the game and go with the mentality that bigger = better. That's why I'm all for having some sort of "training" missions to help them understand the different roles and which mechs go best with those roles. It doesn't have to be anything complicated and no AI, just a basic map with stationary targets to shoot at and maybe some sort of obstacle course of sorts to help with driving and aiming.

That being said, I see an over abundance of people on these forums that are wanting to do scouting and command roles, which I think will help offset the plethora of assault/defense coming in from the general population.

I truly believe that we, the pre-release forum community, will be the backbone of what makes this game successful. If we are willing to put the time and effort to treat the newbies (to both the BT universe and MW) with a little respect, patience, and maybe some training at the beginning, the rewards will come back to us tenfold. A lot of us have been waiting over a decade for this game and I know I will be happy with whatever they put out, shoot, anyone who played MPBT on aol should be ecstatic! lol
http://youtu.be/7rLR4McpjHs

Edited by ShoveI, 08 June 2012 - 10:23 PM.

#7 shortpainter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

The A.D.D. CoD kids will rage quit and their loud whiny exodus will only enhance the play experience for everyone else.

#8 SaiVanas

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

A niche group I see coming in are people that liked Tribes 2 "base," the original team fps gameplay that over-emphasized teamwork through slower, more methodical gameplay.

MWO's videos show that twitch isn't supreme, which allows for strategy to play a bigger role; a welcome change of pace.
If I want twitch, I got plenty of other games to fulfill that desire.

#9 BenEEeees VAT GROWN BACON

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSingapore, South East Asia

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

I expect to see my status go from PENDING to URINBRO!! :blink:

#10 Mr Insane

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:44 PM

View PostShoveI, on 08 June 2012 - 10:22 PM, said:

I've already had a few gamer buddies say they weren't interested in playing it because the gameplay seemed too slow for them, which is understandable based on their gameplay. Others are extremely excited about it while others are willing to try it out and see. I think this is pretty much gonna be the consensus of most of the people out there.

Overall though, I believe that most new players to MWO, that aren't following it on these boards, will most likely be picking a heavy or an assault to begin with. This coming from the assumption that they will make little effort to actually research the different roles/aspects of the game and go with the mentality that bigger = better. That's why I'm all for having some sort of "training" missions to help them understand the different roles and which mechs go best with those roles. It doesn't have to be anything complicated and no AI, just a basic map with stationary targets to shoot at and maybe some sort of obstacle course of sorts to help with driving and aiming.

That being said, I see an over abundance of people on these forums that are wanting to do scouting and command roles, which I think will help offset the plethora of assault/defense coming in from the general population.

I truly believe that we, the pre-release forum community, will be the backbone of what makes this game successful. If we are willing to put the time and effort to treat the newbies (to both the BT universe and MW) with a little respect, patience, and maybe some training at the beginning, the rewards will come back to us tenfold. A lot of us have been waiting over a decade for this game and I know I will be happy with whatever they put out, shoot, anyone who played MPBT on aol should be ecstatic! lol
http://youtu.be/7rLR4McpjHs

Yea, I agree with all of that. A training mission would be a nice way to introduce new guys to the MW:O universe.

I have no doubt that there will be a bunch of Assault and Heavy mechs being piloted by new guys at open beta/post release. Although honestly, I'm probably going to try out the Jenner, and then go for a medium mech. I don't really feel like controlling the big guns yet. I'm one of those newer guys, I've only played a very small bit of Mech Warrior 4, so this is kind of new to me. I'm a huge fan of Mech Commander series though, currently that's my main game, Mech Commander 2, so I know some of the basics as far as weapons and all goes.

I think this just got off topic...can't really tell. It's almost 2 AM. lol

EDIT: I want my Beta Key. Yarrr! I r angry! Alright, I'm going to bed before I end up causing chaos throughout the forums.

Edited by Mr Insane, 08 June 2012 - 10:49 PM.

#11 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

View PostSerevn, on 08 June 2012 - 08:45 PM, said:

The swarm of Russians from World of Tanks. :wub:

What? You fear them? :blink:

#12 Nightborn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:27 PM

I am pretty sure we will see a vast range of different types of players. I do think the majority of the CoD players will leave early because as people have said, this is going to be a much slower paced game, and they won't be able to run around with a knife.

#13 Freyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 413 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:35 PM

We'll see a huge influx of people that try to suggest that MWO should be more or less than it should be. They'll try and compare it to the likes of Armored Core (ick..) or Celestia forbid, any of the Gundam games.

Hopefully we'll manage to get enough people that adjust to the pace and enjoy a bit more. I always preferred the "These are big armor pieces" mentality than physics defying crap.

#14 Joe Davion 86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 269 posts
  • LocationCLT-NC

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:45 PM

Min/Maxers, greifers and Team Killing Fktards to name a few...once they get squashed by the community, we will have solid tactial gameplay with giant war-machines blowing the S*** out of other giant war-machines.

#15 Shootanoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 248 posts
  • Locationin a Jenner right behind you

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:46 PM

I think, there is a solid base of Battletech-fans who have played one to all of the previous Mechgames, single or multiplayer. Those you can count in for sure.

Than there'll be a 2nd group of players from games like World of Tanks or Heroes in the Skies who just like to try out something different.

And maybe some of the shooter-people will also pay a visit, but I doubt that if your only/main interest is playing CS or Battlefield you find MWO in any kind similar. But maybe you'll get enlightened, anyway :-)

#16 Nightborn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 128 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:47 PM

View PostJoe Davion 86, on 08 June 2012 - 11:45 PM, said:

Min/Maxers, greifers and Team Killing Fktards to name a few...once they get squashed by the community, we will have solid tactial gameplay with giant war-machines blowing the S*** out of other giant war-machines.

The above bolded text worries me, hopefully it won't be as bad as it is in some games with FF.

#17 Tyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 242 posts
  • LocationSin City

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:55 PM

View PostSaiVanas, on 08 June 2012 - 10:30 PM, said:

A niche group I see coming in are people that liked Tribes 2 "base," the original team fps gameplay that over-emphasized teamwork through slower, more methodical gameplay.

MWO's videos show that twitch isn't supreme, which allows for strategy to play a bigger role; a welcome change of pace.
If I want twitch, I got plenty of other games to fulfill that desire.

I think we'll see that.

We'll see the MW2-5 and the MWLL crowd. We'll see the BF3 teamplay players way more than we'll see CoD type too, I think.

Maybe some of the TF2 and TFC crowd as well.

Generally with the emphasis on teamwork we'll see players that enjoy that, in addition to those that like a mix.

#18 name51875

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:01 AM

Veterans i presume
Most of my teammates are from UTS Wolf team, i personally don't know what is UTS Wolf but i believe they have experience

Edited by Viper Centurion, 09 June 2012 - 03:46 AM.

#19 Freyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:08 AM

Hopefully the impact of TKers won't be significant in the long run. Being a Free-to-Play game, I'm significantly worried about anti-cheat.

#20 ZekeTheZealot

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:12 AM

Honestly, from what i've read in the Forums thus far, i expect a far less troll/dick-populated game experience. People seem to be intelligent individuals in this forum, which is strange and terrifying to me.

Hopefully this translates to in-game.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users