60 replies to this topic

#21 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

At the moment i take the 4G out, 360XL, 4xML 2x SSRM2... Speed is good and JJs help but i don't think it's a problem with the loadout.

The problem is that if you take a heavy mech with the weapons of a light mech, expect not to do very well on average except maybe against light mechs. The minimum weaponry I would go with is something like 2 large lasers, 2 medium lasers, and 2 streaks.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...935307f624df44c

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 08 July 2013 - 10:55 AM.

#22 Sh4dow78

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 234 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:51 AM

I play this support and its work very good:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3cefde621e400ed

#23 Smitti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 475 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFrog-blasting between BioVent Core #88A and #88B

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

On my 5K, I've been running twin ERPPCs in right torso, twin MLAS in the left, xl360 engine and four jump jets, using the arms to soak up fire. Fairly light firepower in the grand scheme of things, but speed, manoeuvrability and the near-instant, accurate 20 damage punch of the ERPPCs makes for decent hit-and-fade tactics. Out of all my mechs, this build suits my play style best. That being said, it's effectiveness for me really depends on how the team is playing and how combat is progressing, so it can be a mixed bag of results. Some matches end up with quite decent kills/damage scores (being in the right place at the right time, charging in to someone's aid with a well-placed shot or two to ruin the distracted enemie's day) , others end up with a meagre 150 damage at most and early death due to turning the wrong corner or the enemy having too high a concentration of forces in one spot. Of course that's mostly due to piloting error:P, and happens a lot less now I've got advanced wall hack installed.

Great fun for rapid response and clean-up work but not much good for a straight-up fight, even against most mediums.

#24 wickwire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationIgnoring The Meta Since 2012

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:26 PM

the problem are the antennas

#25 Verrue

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

i did try some strange setup for the quickdraw:

4H :

boost up max armor on chest, vanilla armor is really thin.
standard 240 engine
LRM20
LRM 15
4 ML
5 ammo of LRM
remove all jump jets.

People will overlook you until you fire that train of missiles (you got 15 lunch tubes, so it lunch in a train)
nobody suspect a quickdraw to be a LRM boat.
Launch all you can and assist bigger mechs with Mlaser. You can take quite a beating with max armor.

4 G

ERPPC
2 SRM 6
2 MLas
standard 240
7 jumpjet
Max armor on chest

Here your jumping ambusher ! It can brawl good too, surprisingly, you can stay in a fight. ERPPC give you some range too.

5 K

2 ERLL
2 med pulse or mlas
5 jump jet.
Max armor

Just annoy other mech with ERLL. Its mostly a support mech for an assault. Your atlas will love you. You can brawl with it.,

#26 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

I only have the 4G and it's not even basic'd yet, and I've sort of been struggling with 4 medium lasers, an LRM 10 and an LRM 5. That's with the speediest engine (XL 360), maxed armor and 7/7 jump jets.

I know I could be piloting it better, too. It's my first heavy, and pretty different from the spiders I'm used to.

I'm kind of stubborn about those -- maxing my engine, armor and JJ. I almost always use an AMS, too. Which leaves just 12.44 tons to work with:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...08e05e4e47869a7

13.78 free tons but only 4 slots if I add ferro-fibrous armor, so probably not that unless I want to do two large pulse lasers.

I could compromise a little bit. I commonly drop armor to the next ton if it's close, for example. Or I could remove a JJ or two or downgrade the engine one or two models -- though that would be a long-term goal, given the cost.

I think eliting this bad boy will make a big difference simply by doubling anchor turn (which I don't even have yet) and a couple of other handy efficiencies. But I'm not sure what to do in the meantime.

#27 Lucian Nostra

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

QKD-5K

QKD-4H

I don't think running an engine above the 325 is worthwhile 4.5 extra tons for 10 km/h isn't a good trade when the engine is already eating 1/3rd of your mech.

89.1 after tweak with a 300xl is more than adequate. and USE THE JJs... I see far to many people ripping them out...

Edited by Lucian Nostra, 12 July 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#28 Ordate

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:40 PM

View PostFelio, on 12 July 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

I only have the 4G and it's not even basic'd yet, and I've sort of been struggling with 4 medium lasers, an LRM 10 and an LRM 5. That's with the speediest engine (XL 360), maxed armor and 7/7 jump jets.

I know I could be piloting it better, too. It's my first heavy, and pretty different from the spiders I'm used to.

I'm kind of stubborn about those -- maxing my engine, armor and JJ. I almost always use an AMS, too. Which leaves just 12.44 tons to work with:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...08e05e4e47869a7

13.78 free tons but only 4 slots if I add ferro-fibrous armor, so probably not that unless I want to do two large pulse lasers.

I could compromise a little bit. I commonly drop armor to the next ton if it's close, for example. Or I could remove a JJ or two or downgrade the engine one or two models -- though that would be a long-term goal, given the cost.

I think eliting this bad boy will make a big difference simply by doubling anchor turn (which I don't even have yet) and a couple of other handy efficiencies. But I'm not sure what to do in the meantime.

I think your going to have issues all over the place. Your engine and number of jjs don't match up with the type of weapons you took, and the weapons themselves aren't terribly complimentary in nature. Personally I wouldn't run LRMs except on the 4H. The 4G with the size engine you have I would run MLAS and SRMs or SSRMs. If you really do want to run LRMs, I would suggest dropping down to a 300xl as this provides enough speed to manuver to a good spot and site your own enemies. Also with either the 4G or 4H I would drop one laser if running LRMs and put in a tag. Specifically in an arm as this allows you to run and LuRM at an angle.

#29 Smitti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 475 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFrog-blasting between BioVent Core #88A and #88B

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:00 PM

View PostLucian Nostra, on 12 July 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

QKD-5K

QKD-4H

I don't think running an engine above the 325 is worthwhile 4.5 extra tons for 10 km/h isn't a good trade when the engine is already eating 1/3rd of your mech.

89.1 after tweak with a 300xl is more than adequate. and USE THE JJs... I see far to many people ripping them out...

+1

The additional weight of an xl360 over the 325/330 isn't worth the ~7km/h speed difference (with speed tweak). It's tonnage better spend on arms & armour. Also found that running the 360 while trying to maintain a semi-potent load out required removing too many jump jets or stripping too much armour, which sort of defies the point of the QKD IMO.

#30 Gelf

Rookie

• Sergeant
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBudapest

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:45 AM

I use this setup for a long time and my darling serves me really well. I often try to use 5K as a guerilla. Hit and run, never stop (except if you are behind a lonely assult).
The setup: 2xERLL (in the arms), 4 MLas (torso), XL325 engine, 4 JJ, Armour: 382, heat: 1.21 (DHS), spd: 96.5 km/h (with elite)
It is totally ammo undependant, jump capable, alpha strike machine. Able to support biggies (mostly you are not the primary target when an Atlas is near to you) with the ERLLs. Chase away the lights and when the situation is proper to a guerilla, run in, alpha on one location of the enemy mech, smile, run/jump out, move, appear in a differet location(very important), alpha on one location of the enemy mech (try to shoot the same), smile, run/jump out....and so on. If I have to choose a mech which I use in the real world, this would be the one.

#31 Gelf

Rookie

• Sergeant
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBudapest

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:01 AM

Addition to my previous comment:

I usually use 4xMLas as a secondary weapon, fire only in the right time. Use them without a good reason will lead you to a quick overheat and an unwanted shutdown. But...(big breath)...ERLL use won't lead to overheat. Even if you use them continiously in chainfire mode. In alpha mode there will be a slow heat build up, after 12-15 strike you will overheat. In alpha you have 4-5 shot chance. But.....the cool down period i really short (thx 8 dhs), just stay in cover for 5-6 sec and you became an iceberg.
So this was my build and tactics. Any opinion or advice?

#32 dr bongstorm

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:12 AM

I use four large lasers and an xl 300. all four mounted to the torso. three weapon groups, the two on each side and the last all four. on a hot map, put the first two groups on chain fire.

i find if i keep back to about 300 meters, play it like it is a dragon, im going to have a good match. when i forget i am in a quickdraw and try to brawl, i have a bad match.

this thing is a great finisher if you can keep your armour fresh it can sow a huge amount of discord at the right time.

Edited by dr bongstorm, 08 April 2014 - 05:14 AM.

#33 kesuga7

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:40 AM

This can be quite fun

despite missile tube amount iv managed to have success/fun with this build
Your jumpjet amount allow you to easily target mechs and lrm them -
Use your jumpjets to lock onto a mech - Then before the 3..75 lock time is up jumpjet up again and Tag them when the lrm's are about to hit the mech

Lrm 25 artemis total - 1260 lrm ammo - 7 jumpjets - 3 medium lasers - 78.7 kph
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0fe63df078d70c8

Edited by kesuga7, 08 April 2014 - 07:43 AM.

#34 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:44 AM

Speed, JJ's, and PPC's.

Sometimes its fun to just be a flying ER PPC turret lol

#35 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:48 AM

I don't own any but I've spectated more than a couple people tearing it up in theirs with a couple PPCs and a handful of MLs and SRMs.

#36 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:57 AM

I actually just bought back my Quickdraw 4G for its fast arm and torso movement (speed and degree increase). I came up with an extremey flexible build that I think you might like.
XL360
ENDO + FERRO
Max armor
2 JJs
3 MLs
1PPC in RT
1 SRM4 + 1 SRM6 + 2-3 tons ammo
3 extra DHS in engine

This build can hit them at any range although it does rely alot on SRM hit registery, so that part is iffy, but its the most succes Ive ever had in a Quick, so I highly recomend it.

You can trade out the SRMs for SSRMs and add 1JJ and an extra DHS (or a BAP if you think you need it)

P.S. it can take 7JJS! It is insane how high you can jump with 7 although you get far less weaponry, it is really fun.

Edited by DONTOR, 08 April 2014 - 07:59 AM.

#37 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:19 AM

I have tried "couple" of setups in my quickies,mainly the 5K:

340 XL,2 LL,4 ML,Endosteel,DHS,JJ:s Mah lazors

Overall evaluation:

Pros: Good laserboat with jumpjets,goes like stink and dishes out nice amount of damage,surprises many by its durability,speed and firepower.
Cons: USE ONLY NORMAL LARGE LASERS OTHERWISE ITS AN OVEN aka. it runs hot.

360XL,6 Medium lasers,SRM6+2 tons,Endosteel,1 JJ,400 armor

This is my best best performing build overall,and also the most fun build have played in this game.

Pros: runs rather cool,2-3 alphastrikes depending on the map,SPEED
Cons: lacks range and 1 jump jet makes fighting in cities or close quarters hazardous.

Oh and those 6 Med pulse laser builds,ER PPC or triple PPC builds,dont even bother,they run too hot,trust me,i have tried :)

#38 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:29 AM

Here, have some links to previous iterations of nearly this exact same discussion:

http://mwomercs.com/...build-opinions/

http://mwomercs.com/...w-sniper-ideas/

http://mwomercs.com/...-a-bad-chassis/

http://mwomercs.com/...653-quickdraws/

#39 Flyto

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:17 AM

I bought a 5K when they first came out, gave it two large lasers in the arms and four mediums in the torso (I remember playing with medium pulses, but couldn't find the tonnage), plenty of JJs and heatsinks and something like an XL300 or XL320, I forget.

It had the speed of a good medium, it was agile, and it was a lot of fun to play in a hit-and-run backstabbing sort of mode... but ultimately I gave it up when I realised that with the exception of the jump jets, my AWS-9M was better in every way: Faster, more armour, more firepower, more cooling, and very nearly as manouverable. And, thanks to the Quickdraw's silly scaling, not actually any bigger.

#40 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

Awesome's dont compare to a quickdraws mobility in ANY way, they are also quite a bit larger / easiest mech to hit in the game. Your quickdraw should not have been slower than an awesome, less firepower sure, and lastly because an awesome has more armor doesnt mean it will live longer than a less armored mech.

Edited by DONTOR, 09 April 2014 - 11:37 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users