#61 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

View Postvenomman2, on 25 June 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

Look, I'd love to know what's going on behing the scenes too but that's the thing, it's behind the scenes. And with the laundry list of projects PGI is working on, I would hope the dev team has their collective faces glued to their monitors rather than spending an hour or two writing a posts about it.

To Saxie,
If you don't believe the product has value to you, you generally don't buy it. There's no difference here except that the "product" has additional value in an immaterial fashion. The value comes from the fact that we have a new Mechwarrior game after almost a decade without, with fantastic graphics, and a development team that is willing to communicate and accept feedback on their game design, in a limited manner of course.

And I will personally support this game until the servers are shut down and the last developer cleans out his/her desk because I have faith that each one of the people working on this game cares as much about the IP as each one of us. And I believe that one day, this game will become a *great* game and that right now we are all climbing that mountain.

I agree, and I'm in your line of thinking. That's what I'm arguing, that there isn't value over the total body of the game to warrant 80 dollars. Essentially I am throwing money their way hoping that we get something we like. I'm not willing to take that gamble with PGI, and I didn't get the founders pack as you can see. Their body of work previous to MWO didnt impress me so I took a wait and see approach. After the game went beta I was impressed and bought into a few hero mechs, and MC. I would look more at this package If we had CW, Role warfare as they first envisioned it, a chat/game lobby maybe lol? Right now I feel as if I would be paying on a hope and a prayer

#62 Gamgee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationCanadia's Royal Reservation

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

I will admit its great value, but I'm not so sure of this games long term stability. When I see some plans to address many of the concerns with the game I might take the plunge. I need some kind of communication. I am a legendary backer, I like this setting, I do believe with a lot of hard work this game can be great, and I even have some cash to spare just for this if they can convince me before the early backer deal on Project Phoenix is done. So roughly two patches to convince me to invest more into this game.

I'm not holding my breath, even though I have the cash right here. Highest tier backer too, but not likely to happen.

#63 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:31 PM

View PostGamgee, on 25 June 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

I will admit its great value, but I'm not so sure of this games long term stability. When I see some plans to address many of the concerns with the game I might take the plunge. I need some kind of communication. I am a legendary backer, I like this setting, I do believe with a lot of hard work this game can be great, and I even have some cash to spare just for this if they can convince me before the early backer deal on Project Phoenix is done. So roughly two patches to convince me to invest more into this game.

I'm not holding my breath, even though I have the cash right here. Highest tier backer too, but not likely to happen.

Well you have 30 days ;) Thats the good thing, I mean if they can really show something outside of a mech (the Orion), then I'll buy in.

#64 Gamgee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationCanadia's Royal Reservation

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:35 PM

View PostSaxie, on 25 June 2013 - 07:31 PM, said:

Well you have 30 days ;) Thats the good thing, I mean if they can really show something outside of a mech (the Orion), then I'll buy in.

I'm looking for a plan, and how to full full that plan. A timeline update on production of various features and why they have been delayed. I also want some good balance ideas, and I also want to see them have feed back on some of th emore popular forum suggestions to balance the game.

I doubt even one of these will happen. Hey 30 days though, I can always pray. Haahhaaha.

#65 Darokin Korin

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 21 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

I went for the Overlord package. What it boils down to for me is rather simple...am I having fun? So far the answer is yes. It was certainly frustrating as all hell when I kept getting dropped with that Malformed Packet bug for about 2 months straight. Nowadays though, I have very little stability/gameplay issues. I still like to use just about every mech (COM-TDK my absolute favorite), and the ones I don't particularly care for (looking at you Blackjack, oh how you mock me), I chalk up to me not playing them 'right'. I'm looking forward to the phoenix release in the fall.

#66 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

View PostDarokin Korin, on 25 June 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

I went for the Overlord package. What it boils down to for me is rather simple...am I having fun? So far the answer is yes. It was certainly frustrating as all hell when I kept getting dropped with that Malformed Packet bug for about 2 months straight. Nowadays though, I have very little stability/gameplay issues. I still like to use just about every mech (COM-TDK my absolute favorite), and the ones I don't particularly care for (looking at you Blackjack, oh how you mock me), I chalk up to me not playing them 'right'. I'm looking forward to the phoenix release in the fall.
This is basically exactly how I saw it. Deal came up on the front page. I saw $80. Read what I was getting and thought for a bit - the features coming, how soon release is, am I having fun, will I still be having fun, etc. It didn't take long to click the buy button lol. I also bought the overlord package for my friend.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 25 June 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#67 venomman2

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWisconsin (SE)

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

View PostSaxie, on 25 June 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

Right now I feel as if I would be paying on a hope and a prayer

When you think about it, that's what the community has been doing ever since the first founder's package.

On another note, I'm pretty sure all of us want MW:O to succeed. If there is anything else we can all agree on, I'm pretty sure it's that launch is going to have a major impact on the future of the game. Either PGI is going to hammer out 12v12, CW, and weapon balance by launch and gain some momentum, or things won't be finished and the launch gets pushed back and many more community members lose faith in the future.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens. But until then, I'll stand in the line of fire for MW:O.

#68 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

I also went for the overlord plan. I had regreted not getting the founders package with the Atlas. And I had been thinking about getting more mech bays and mech with the 30% bonus etc etc. So the value with what I was already planning on doing made it make sense to me. Plus as some of the others have said even with game balance issues etc I still have fun playing the game. The only thing that really frustrated me was the HUD and map bugs but those are fixed now.

Also having a background in "free" UO shards I am used to paying for content in free games that have bugs ;) And free UO shards almost always go away after a few years.

#69 Tice Daurus

• 2,001 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOak Forest, IL

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:09 PM

I bought the 80 dollar package. I believe in this game will get better over time. PGI does listen to the fanbase, although sometimes it does take a brick over the head to help make them get the point, but for the most part, the game is still going, they are adding more content, and it's getting better.

I don't care what anyone else thinks. They listened to me. I told them I wanted the Reseens, I told them I didn't want to pay Harmony Gold a single cent of money, and they aren't going to get a single cent of money thanks to PGI listening to the fans. 'Nuff said, I'm happy they listened to me and the rest of the fans, and they are giving us the older mechs in a newly reseen form with new art from PGI. I'm HAPPY.

If you're not, **** you, don't spend the money. But don't go peeing in my corn flakes telling me I made a bad choice. I don't go around telling you the bad things you do wrong, and in the long run, if I want to give PGI more money to help this game get better and have them pay their workers for the hard work and effort they've put into the game so far, who in the hell do you think you are telling me and the rest of the people what to do? Go **** off to some other game for all I care.

I'm done now. ;)

#70 Tezcatli

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:28 PM

It is a good deal. If you intend to keep playing MWO for the forseable future. However if you feel doubt in where the game is heading and your own interest in continuing not only to October, but beyond. Then you should probably not buy this pack.

Frankly. I think a lot of us can agree we need a show of faith from the developers. We need to know more about Community Warfare which is what almost everyone is waiting for. Balance is always an on going thing and they're trying to implement a new mechanic to work around the PPC issue. ( ;)) But Community Warfare will make or break this game in the long term. I like the idea of popping in once in a while and checking out new mechs. But if I or we are to invest in this game we need to know it's heading in a direction that won't make us regret doing so.

Edited by Tezcatli, 25 June 2013 - 09:29 PM.

#71 Ralgas

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:33 PM

<- Another overlord buyer.

I see myself here till December, at the very least (Damn all these good deals going on atm though!!!).......

#72 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

View Postvenomman2, on 25 June 2013 - 06:34 PM, said:

. And if the sour responses I've been reading are indictive of the player majority, PGI deserves a better fanbase.

they had a better fanbase...

#73 The Verge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 146 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:50 PM

Honestly, who can say that the founder mechs were rubbish? the Jenner-D(F) is the best variant, the catapult and hunchback are good, and the Atlas is still fantastic.

You pay LESS (120 vs 80 in Dollars) for the best pack. You get more time, mechs, and mech bays; if any of the mechs are not your style, sell them. I funded this game, and it has given me new friends for it. I've discovered NGNG as well, and enjoy all of the crazy matches I have played against and with them. For about 9 months, I enjoyed more about this game than my work. So call me insane, but this game HAS shown improvement. It is slow, but new mechs are always SO FREKIN COOL!

I will pay for more, as PGI and IGP have show they are working on this game, by patching any major issues either the next day or day of patch, by changing the balance when asked by this often torrid but sometimes graceful forum, and by even letting us buy this option early.

And remember; this is all opinion. I only represent the memories of my self and my friends on occasions.

#74 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostWolvesX, on 25 June 2013 - 12:23 PM, said:

Normaly, I would buy that in an instant...

but the balance is so ****** up.

---

Hard choise.

Got plenty of time, I say take it, I know I am.

#75 Adrienne Vorton

• 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 25 June 2013 - 09:55 PM

View PostTice Daurus, on 25 June 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

I bought the 80 dollar package. I believe in this game will get better over time. PGI does listen to the fanbase, although sometimes it does take a brick over the head to help make them get the point, but for the most part, the game is still going, they are adding more content, and it's getting better.

I don't care what anyone else thinks. They listened to me. I told them I wanted the Reseens, I told them I didn't want to pay Harmony Gold a single cent of money, and they aren't going to get a single cent of money thanks to PGI listening to the fans. 'Nuff said, I'm happy they listened to me and the rest of the fans, and they are giving us the older mechs in a newly reseen form with new art from PGI. I'm HAPPY.

If you're not, **** you, don't spend the money. But don't go peeing in my corn flakes telling me I made a bad choice. I don't go around telling you the bad things you do wrong, and in the long run, if I want to give PGI more money to help this game get better and have them pay their workers for the hard work and effort they've put into the game so far, who in the hell do you think you are telling me and the rest of the people what to do? Go **** off to some other game for all I care.

I'm done now. ;)

if the unseen/ reseen were everything you ever cared about, that´s fine... i doubt anyone can blame you for your opinion... to me,they broke every single design promise invested in... CW HAS tobe really really great to make up for that... and as long as i am in doubt about that, i´m done purchasing stuff that will be delivered in months... as i said earlier (somewhat) mechs are fine, and it´s good to know the battlemaster and the other guys will be in the game end of 2013...

but that´s just not enough to make me forget about all the flaws... anyhow,it´s not enough to make me pay 80$... to each their own though

#76 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

View PostWolvesX, on 25 June 2013 - 12:21 PM, said:

3600 MC Mechbays --- 20 x 75 1500 MC Locust 55 x 75 4125 MC SH 65 x 75 4875 MC TB 85 x 75 6750 MC Battlemaster --- 2000 MC - Medallions --- 120 Premium - 10000 MC (with early bird) + STD Variants. (unknown) --- = 32850 MC + STD Variants.

Did a qoute earlier, some differences:

To give you an idea - lets assume the average MC value of the 12 mechs in the overlord package is 2000. 12 X 2000 = 24000mc = $100

Secondly, lets look at the cost of the 120 DAYS premium time; $80/120 = $0.66 per day

While the cost of the premium is average compared to the standard cost e.g. 180 Days = 13500MC = $53.97-$75.06 = $0.30-$0.42/Day, on top of that your getting 12 mechs which if purchased outright would effectively cost around $100.

If we only consider the 4 'unique variants' given the bonus they offer and that they can be likened to hero mechs, 8000mc = ~$30 so the value of the premium time would be around $50 = $0.41

120 days x 0.41 = $49.2
12 x 2000 (avg per mech) = 2400mc = $100

plus cockpit items - 750mc x 4 = 3000mc = ~$12
plus unique camo for all four variants and colour (750 x 4) + 750 = 3750mc = ~$15

= $177 value

Disclaimer: Estimate only, i did this while at work so didnt have much time.

Looks like similar values, it was a rough from memory calculation though! I have included the standard variants (estimates) and the camo/paint too ;)

Edited by White Bear 84, 25 June 2013 - 10:39 PM.

#77 Ultra-Laser

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

View PostBlackBeltJones, on 25 June 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

and I don't think PGI wants a better fanbase, I think they want a paying fanbase.

Maybe then they could afford a more robust programming team.

#78 repete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 522 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:55 PM

View PostKyynele, on 25 June 2013 - 03:40 PM, said:

You suggest that "stop giving them money" -> game evolves to something that you like more.
While the reality is "stop giving them money" -> game dies.

I have heard it said by those in the game industry, either game devs/publishers or journos, that your money comes from casual players. This doesn't seem implausible. If so, to be honest, I don't expect anyone protesting over things like 3PV to make any difference. But for those that do, it is the principle of it, and I can respect that.

In the scenarios you've outlined above, hopefully before "game dies" someone goes "Hey. Revenue is declining. What's going on?", and perhaps a stat in there is, players who were previously paying are not any longer. Perhaps. A lot of MWO players I know talking about Star Citizen at the moment. A LOT.

#79 repete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 522 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:16 PM

I imagine a fair number of people will wait down the clock, and see where the game is going over the next 30 days before pulling the pin. Additionally, it WILL sell well as well.

How they could have REALLY panicked the fanbois* was to say "Only 1000 available, and when they are gone, they are gone". They'd be gone in 24 hours. :)

* Of which I am one...One who is watching...And waiting...

#80 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:11 AM

I didn't understand the package when I first read it... I thought you got to pick.

In any case, the $20 package is clearly the worst, and PGI should be ashamed of even suggesting it. If you got to pick the Shadow Hawk over the Locust, it would be a better deal... since the Locust is literally DOA IMO and not worth the money you'd be paying for it (even for the special mech and the extra lab space you'd get).

Edited by Deathlike, 26 June 2013 - 04:12 AM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users