What Questions Would/should You Ask Before Throwing Money At Project Phoenix?

70 replies to this topic

#21 Adrian Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 545 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 25 June 2013 - 04:56 PM, said:

Here's my question:

Why in the everloving hell did they pick the 4 ballistic 1 energy hardpoint Locust to be the one with the bonus?!?!?! That variant is genuinely horrible. Like a slower version of the worst spider variant with less armor and no jumpjets and no ECM. Seriously? This is how you treat your light mech pilots? I was actually probably going to buy this, but why....why.....whyyyy wouldn't you pick a useful variant!?!

Because you're supposed to pay up for the assault mech. Because that is what is going to shine in the current meta.

#22 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

Here's my question:

Why in the everloving hell did they pick the 4 ballistic 1 energy hardpoint Locust to be the one with the bonus?!?!?! That variant is genuinely horrible. Like a slower version of the worst spider variant with less armor and no jumpjets and no ECM. Seriously? This is how you treat your light mech pilots? I was actually probably going to buy this, but why....why.....whyyyy wouldn't you pick a useful variant!?!

It's the prime variant.

All the phoenix mechs are the prime variants of their chassis.

#23 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:48 PM

View PostValore, on 25 June 2013 - 04:47 PM, said:

I don't think those are readily available on the market.

There are. There are several people working for them who do nothing but balance available/upcoming champs/items in League of Legends.

~60 of the ~100 champs were used in the world championship finals. Results speak for themselves.

Edited by Chavette, 25 June 2013 - 06:51 PM.

#24 PEEFsmash

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostRoland, on 25 June 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

It's the prime variant.

All the phoenix mechs are the prime variants of their chassis.

What does "prime variant" mean? It is a freaking awful variant is what it is. Going with some battletech history "prime" variant instead of going with what I like to call a "good variant"...that does match up perfectly with PGI's way of doing things. Like when they destroyed the Large Pulse Laser for the sake of "normalizing" some arbitrary set of numbers for no reason other than to...satisfy some dev's obsessive compulsive issues?

Edited by PEEFsmash, 25 June 2013 - 07:04 PM.

#25 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

View PostFupDup, on 25 June 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

Yes, this community. Browse some of the threads here. There are some genuinely great ideas floating around out there on what needs to be done. Yes, there are also some bad ideas, but the ones that are bad are very obvious and get called out for it pretty quickly.

yes there are a few gems in the **** pile, but it is a really big pile with very few gems.

#26 Devastrius

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:21 PM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 25 June 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

What does "prime variant" mean? It is a freaking awful variant is what it is. Going with some battletech history "prime" variant instead of going with what I like to call a "good variant"...that does match up perfectly with PGI's way of doing things. Like when they destroyed the Large Pulse Laser for the sake of "normalizing" some arbitrary set of numbers for no reason other than to...satisfy some dev's obsessive compulsive issues?

Prime Variant means it's the basic loadout produce amongs the whole universe (stock mech) Think on a Tank produced in a country then sold to a different one, who then choose to modify it with specific weapons that suits what they can produce like it happened to the sherman in WW2 (check foreign variant and use, then imagine that across a whole galaxy)

View PostChavette, on 25 June 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

There are. There are several people working for them who do nothing but balance available/upcoming champs/items in League of Legends.

~60 of the ~100 champs were used in the world championship finals. Results speak for themselves.

Lol it's absolutely different in terms of balance since there is 5x specific roles wich can be somewhat opposed.

I know friends in LOL since they started and at first the game performance/stability and balance pretty much sucked until Riot took it and began a straight up job and even then They still screw it introducing champions absolutely unbalanced on day one.

and let's be serious riot Dev had several years od DoTA experience before hand.

#27 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

Here's my question:

Because it is the "standard" variant- just like the others are standard variants for the Phoenix Mechs. Just happens that The Locust has a less than optimal standard variant.

Edit- damn, Devastrius totally got in before me, and better. Well Done sir!

Edited by Lord Ikka, 25 June 2013 - 07:32 PM.

#28 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:38 PM

one last question: Is all the money received from Phoenix Project going to MWO's development or will it go to other IGP projects?

#29 A banana in the tailpipe

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,705 posts
  • Locationbehind your mech

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

If I were to throw ANY money at project phoenix the one question I would have is , how many unique maps does it come with?

Mechs don't take squat for your artists, so I'm interested in a real value like entire maps which cost a pretty penny in this industry. So long as PGI continues to poop out mechs that do the same thing but look different, I won't be interested.

#30 Andrew Cranston

• PipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 50 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:52 PM

My concerns mostly relate to balance and upcoming content. Personally I'm waiting until ATD 41 and July Dev Update before I get out my wallet. I won't put 80 dollars into the game if I don't think they are planning on a major revamp on weapons systems in the near future. Some of their recent twitter posts suggest that they don't see a need for that, so perhaps the game just isn't going to be what I want it to be. No amount of Mech chassis or cockpit items are going to make up for the core gameplay not being enjoyable (to me) so I guess I'll just wait and see what they say over the next week and a half.

I also want to hear some actual details on CW... July is supposedly a big month, which I'm hoping means the introduction of CW, the Phoenix Project and some decent balancing changes to go along with the large improvements theyve made to HSR and client stability.

Edited by Andrew Cranston, 25 June 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#31 mindwarp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 250 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:55 PM

View Postnitra, on 25 June 2013 - 06:10 PM, said:

hard to be positive .. especially when they offer a package like this .

it make it seem like being a founder is not appreciated .

im so glad i did not buy legendary.

How does this package devalue our founders packs in any way? It's not like they made the founders skins available - our (F) mechs are still unique.

#32 Gamgee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationCanadia's Royal Reservation

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

1. What do you think of some of the most popular balance suggestions put forward on this forum. (Top 3 in terms of posts).
2. Do you have any sort of balance plan in mind?
3. What do you think needs balancing?
4. Why?
5. Why don't you think pin point damage and high alpha's are worth looking at?
6. When are you going to make other chassis a little more viable?
7. Mech quirks, where are they?
8. Is all of this money going to you?
9. If not, then why?
10. Why are we missing features long ago promised?
11. If delayed or cut then why?
12. Do you have any of Project Phoenix actually done and developed or this a spur of the moment thing?
13. Did you have to get into any legal kerfuffle to get the rights to the reseen or was this planned a long time in advance?
14. If it is planned far in advance why is nothing done?
15. Why does DX 11 keep being pushed back?
16. Why does community warfare keep getting pushed back?
17. Why have you stopped supporting role warfare?
18. Do you have any sort of rough time table as to your next and last six updates before launch happens.
19. Do you honestly think this game is ready to launch? Or are you being forced by the publisher?
20. Can you offer any sort of proof to the claims that other players want 3PV?
21. Why is the balance so far off?
22. Why does it take so long to balance this game out?
23. Why is communication with you so bad?
24. Why do you think you deserve my money?
25. Do you think the work you have done is representative of the initial vision?
26. If not then why?
27. Why did you decide to launch Project Phoenix when you still haven't upheld most of your promises from Founder's program.
28. What is the status on drop ship mode?
29. Do you have any plans to strictly match by weight class?
30. Is there a push to make this game more casual?
31. Was it ever your intention for this game to be competitive, or casual? Which one and why?
32. I can't stress this enough, but I need details on your balancing plan and methods. What are they?
33. How do you feel about how far you've come, and how you have failed to measure up to your initial goals?
34. Surely there must be something you can say to get me to buy into Project Phoenix?
35. Do you think we should take a break from seeing each other? I think at this point your as annoyed with the hardcore fans as they are with you. What do you think of this?

I call it, the dirt thirty five. We need some hard answers here.

Edit
If they can answer at least 60% of that satisfactorily I will be almost guaranteed to invest. Depending on which ones.

Edited by Gamgee, 25 June 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#33 OneEyed Jack

• 2,500 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

View Postmindwarp, on 25 June 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

How does this package devalue our founders packs in any way? It's not like they made the founders skins available - our (F) mechs are still unique.

Because some people bought founders packs on the assumption it meant "forever advantaged over everyone else." They don't want P2W... unless of course you paid early. Or they at least think it means they should get ongoing freebies for the life of the game, whenever anything new comes out.

I in no way mean that all founders, or even a majority, feel this way. But it's inevitable that there are some, and they will continue to pop up and gripe for as long as the game continues.

#34 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

#1 for me is Community Warfare....every game should be counting toward something rather than useless Cbills and XP

#35 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

View PostCoolant, on 25 June 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

#1 for me is Community Warfare....every game should be counting toward something rather than useless Cbills and XP

buy more medium lasers. everyone needs more of those.

#36 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

Here's my question:

THIS....

Although come to think about it, its only 20 tons. I would rather have the 3M (2 Small Lasers LA, 2 Small Lasers RA & 1 Med CT) , or the 3S (1 SSRM2 RA, 1 SSRM2 LA & 1 Medium laser CT)

... not the 1V.... 2 machine guns and a medium laser... wooo.... Even if they give me ECM....

#37 LTGear

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

HARDPOINTS OR SPECS OF EACH VARIANTS PLEASE???????????

#38 I am

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

Anyone seriously considering this needs beat with a 4 by 4. It would be tantamount to a wife giving her husband a bhlow jhob, after he breaks her nose. After all of this, the lies, misimpressions, the changing of stances on breaking canon, the mismanagement that has forever sentenced the mech warrior IP to "niche-dom." I would hope not one single person lets PGI "fool them twice". But you know what they say about fools and money... This game coulda been the end all of FPS shooters, instead you get this. Don't positively reward bad behavior or poor performance, or that is all you will ever get out of PGI. Don't believe me, look at their track record with previous titles. PGI has been failing to meet the expectations of gaming communities their entire careers.

#39 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:38 PM

I'd ask,

how many threads like this do you think will get posted in game balance instead of upcoming features?

Edited by Soy, 25 June 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#40 Thuzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationMemphis, TN

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

View PostInRev, on 25 June 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

The question on my mind that is giving me pause before buying in to Project Phoenix is . . .

. . . how big are the damn mechs going to be?

It sounds stupid but I don't wanna dump money on a bunch of mechs if they're going to be uselessly big, especially the Shadow Hawk.

This.

Given their past couple of releases, the Shadow Hawk will probably be huge.

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users