For newer players, what unit role do you recommend?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Head Crusher

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:54 AM

I am a newer player crossing my fingers for a beta key. Reading my dad's old Battletech books I instantly fell in love, sadly in my area there are no gaming stores for me to actually play the Battletech board game. I hope to be a useful piece to my lance but I do not know what people recommend. I know that not all people playing this game will know what role they should go for, so what would your recommendation be? Newbies should be defenders if they like.....Be a Commander if you.... Get what I'm saying?

Please help the newer players make a name for themselves for the glory of House Davion!

#2 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:57 AM

Defender, probably. :)

Scouts must know how to give out info, while actually surviving for some time and harassing in the right time.

Commanders must've multitasking and also have to think on the move a lot + need to know how to communicate.

Attackers are also like defenders, but they get all the opponents love in forms of scouts, LRMs and whatsoever.

Edited by Adridos, 09 June 2012 - 06:59 AM.

#3 Blu C

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 46 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:01 AM

Question: Which role seems like the most fun to you?

That is what I recommend you play because you will likely enjoy it. Put another way, how do you see yourself playing the game? If you really like the idea of being in the thick of heavy combat you probably want to go Assault/Defender. If you more enjoy the idea of hanging back a Commander might make morse sense since it will be easier for you to divide your attention. If you love the idea of going fast and spotting for allies then scout may be right for you.

#4 tabaskao

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:05 AM

im wishing to go scout or suport arty , im no bruiser but i like t be light on my feet

#5 MacSquizzy

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:19 AM

I'd probably avoid the Commander role until you get some experience or have done similar in another game.

I'd actually recommend Scout for a new player as it is less dependent on your ability to shoot than it is your ability to pilot - start as a Scout will provide you with a fast and maneuverable mech that generally only needs to be able to LoS the enemy to benefit your team. You can focus on being a better pilot while your team gets invaluable intel.

Of course, I'm biased - I believe that you should learn to pilot before you learn to shoot; when the enemy has trouble hitting you, that's when you have time to focus on shooting back :)

#6 Head Crusher

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 9 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

I like all the input, but I think I might go with the Defender. I prefer being the bulky reliable guy everyone can depend on. I hope that this forum is helping other players as well. :)

#7 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

Until you can get some game time in, for the newer folks, you won't know what your preferred role is going to be.

Some are happy out on their own, scouting, which means you take a lot of flak first if your no good at piloting.
Mediums and heavies are for attackers really, mobility and weapons to back it up, with Assaults being there for defenders and (if you have the speed) attacking and applying heavy firepower where its needed.

Me, I go for a mix of defender/attacker. I like to mix it up and be where i can be of best use during a firefight.

I'll probably spend most of my time in the Centurion and the Cataphract of K2 Catapult or something like that.

Time will tell.

Hope you find your niche.

#8 Beo Vulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 739 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationHalsey, NE

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

Get the Mektek version of MW4 and play the announced mechs to see which suits you best. If you can find the box version of MW4 even better, it won't freeze as often. Try to figure out which play style suits you best, attacker, support, defense, or recon.

#9 Victor-Two-Five

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:44 PM

I can say from experience in a number of games of different genres, if you are unsure of what role you wish to play, choose a chassis that has flexibility and will allow you to be what your team needs.

I am actually quite eager to give the Centurion a try. Solid medium 'mech with (depending on variant) appreciable speed, and decent armor and firepower. It can survive a fight better than a light 'mech, has a varied array of weapons and could easily be a heavy scout or light skirmisher. And there's no shame in the unit commander piloting a medium, escpecially if it is a Davion Light Guard unit ;)

#10 Shootanoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 248 posts
  • Locationin a Jenner right behind you

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:26 AM

I'd say, there is no way how to be sure since we have no ingame-experiences yet. On the other hand, its quite simple: do what you dream of. Reading the books, youn might have found one or two heroic roles you'd like to take over? Then go for it.

In any case, you will have to learn how to play well - like all of us. And that's something way easier if done in an environment and role that you really like.

By coming here to the Davion sector of the forum, you already made an important step - you have chosen the winning side ;-) (or at least, the best). Now let's build your further carreer step by step by choosing the right mech for the job you like to do.

Want to scout? - Choose a Raven.
Want to skirmish? - Choose a Jenner
Want to have a nice allround punching Machine? - Choose a Centurion or a Cataphract.
Want do deal serious long range damage? - Choose a Stalker or Catapult.
Want to have a real sluggish bad beater? - Choose the Atlas or the Awesome.

Have picked one and like to have a different role? No problem, just Mechlab it to your liking.

#11 Nekki Basara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

View PostHead Crusher, on 09 June 2012 - 06:54 AM, said:

sadly in my area there are no gaming stores for me to actually play the Battletech board game.
Slightly parallel-to-topic but have you considered MegaMek? It's a decent representation of tabletop and it's not impossible to find games.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users