21 replies to this topic

#1 Clasbyte

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:15 AM

Salve,

anyone knows why this happens or even better to stop it from happening?

If thread title is not enough to explain what happens here a bit longer version,
after an disconnect from the game, due inactivity or dropped ISP connection, from time to time
when i log back in all my Ingame settings are reset to the default settings and i mean everything, graphics, sound and controls, that is really annoying.

brgds

CB

#2 Swift Hatchet

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 50 posts
  • LocationVegas

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

I'm have been experiencing the same thing. Which I assume is a local issue, as nobody else I play with or have asked have this issue.

It's quite frustrating as I usually don't notice until I go to shoot someone, or at a minimum until I'm in the game. Not really the preferred time to be redoing this stuff. I'd prefer not to have to do it at all.

Since I've been playing, a month or so now ... I have had to reset my controls at least 8-10 times. :)

*edit*
Read some of the older posts related to this stuff..

I do run with administrator privileges. Have tried repairing. Have not deciphered when or why it happens. I don't time out very often. I was thinking for a while that it happened when closing the game window via the top-right 'x', opposed to quitting via the in-game menu. But it happens at other times.

Guess it could be some database corruption (?), or are the setting stored locally? My impression is they are called from a remote db. Would make sense for portability anyway.

Edited by SwiftHatchet, 03 July 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#3 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

The settings are stored client side. Previously people would see this issue if they were running more than one account but I do not remember if any changes had been made to prevent it from occurring.

The question though is, when the issue does occur, have you logged out properly and logged back in to see if the settings are correct or do you do and make the changes immediately?

Also, did you use the default installation or customized install and place MWO somewhere other than Program Files or Programdata location?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 04 July 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#4 Swift Hatchet

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 50 posts
  • LocationVegas

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

Ok took a little time to attempt to sort this better. It would appear this 'mostly' happens with timeout/disconnects. Or lack of activity as the message indicates. That being said, it has happened twice since my original post in this thread after shutting down 'properly'.

MWO is installed on one of my SSD's, which is not the OS SSD. So it is custom, granted everything gaming on this particular rig is this way. I lean towards thinking this should not be an issue (technically speaking), which is not to say something related to it is not proper.

In total over the last week and a half I've had to rework all of my setting 8 times. 6 of those happened after intentionally allowing the server to boot me for loitering. Would be awesome to fix this, as it is suboptimal.

*edit* was grammatical

*edit duece*
I'm wondering if perhaps I have some issues hanging around from the original install. I tried last week and today to install the Public Test. Last week it simply would not get past a checksum failure.

Today I attempted to install it to >D:\MWO Public Test, same as before. But for whatever reason, the installer seems to believe I already have "the beta" installed there (note: the directory structure does not even exist). It is/was installed to >D:\Piranha Games\MechWarrior Online.

What's interesting is that today I decided to ignore the fact it was telling things are installed someplace they are not. The installer for the Public Test completed successfully, however nothing new was installed. ;)

My normal process of sorting things does not usually included erasing all relative data to a game from the rig. But I have now, in hopes that I can participate in the 12vs12 test today. And maybe fix whatever is causing this reset of things.

Edited by SwiftHatchet, 18 July 2013 - 03:04 PM.

#5 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:40 AM

I wonder if its a issue with installing MWO on a SSD drive, Maybe the SSD drives are causing file corruption because of how they store and access data. I think I read a post somewhere that someone was having issues with mwo installed on a ssd drive the switched the install to a standard drive and the problem was solved. I run MWO on my standard drive and only have my OS on the SSD and I haven't run in to any issues. do you have a standard drive that you could install MWO on?

#6 Swift Hatchet

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 50 posts
  • LocationVegas

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

I could put it on one of the Raptors. I'd be very disappointed and surprised to find that is the case though. I run everything from SSD's, and the guys I play with (who also play some MWO) run SSD's. And I imagine a great number of the fairly hardcore gamers/enthusiasts run SSD's.

I'm hoping that something magically corrected itself when I wiped everything related yesterday. If not I'll consider looking into your suggestion. Appreciate the reply.

Edited by SwiftHatchet, 19 July 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#7 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

I wonder if its a issue with installing MWO on a SSD drive,

My SSD (Crucial M4) handles the OB and public test clients without issue.

#8 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

When you disconnect, do not log back in with that window.
Close the window, then re-launch the patcher and this does not happen.

#9 Swift Hatchet

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 50 posts
  • LocationVegas

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

View PostevilC, on 20 July 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

When you disconnect, do not log back in with that window.
Close the window, then re-launch the patcher and this does not happen.

I will give this a go next time. Unfortunately after the reinstall process and giving it a couple days, the issue persists. Although somewhat better as it's only happened once since the last post. And that was indeed after leaving the client up, and letting the system disconnect me. I believe I've almost always utilized the same screen to log back in, so hopefully the suggestion is progress. Appreciate the replies as always.

#10 zinetwin

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

I'm glad it's not just me. Been happening everyone once in a while for a few months now. I figured it was just the client crashing or freaking out and recreating the settings file because it didn't get closed properly.

#11 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:34 AM

The other is, have the setting actually been cleared out or did they simply not load that session?

Does the settings completely disappear if the file has been marked read only?

#12 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:53 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 23 July 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

The other is, have the setting actually been cleared out or did they simply not load that session?

Does the settings completely disappear if the file has been marked read only?

My guess is this:
When you lose conn and reconnect, the variables held in memory are re-initialized.
During *that* session, it re-saves the controls, but seeing as it is using the defaults instead of your controls, this in effect wipes your controls.

#13 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

View PostevilC, on 24 July 2013 - 02:53 AM, said:

My guess is this:
When you lose conn and reconnect, the variables held in memory are re-initialized.
During *that* session, it re-saves the controls, but seeing as it is using the defaults instead of your controls, this in effect wipes your controls.

(nods) if it is due to a time out, has the system gone into hibernation/sleep/etc mode, etc? Besides the time out, what else was going on with the computer system? There may other conditions that ties in with the issue.

Unfortunately we have the symptoms but not enough information about the conditions at the time of incident.

#14 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:26 AM

No, no other conditions.
You fire up MWO, have a few games, then go AFK for a bit.
You come back and the game says "Logged out due to inactivity".

At this point, the game has forgotten your option customizations. They are still on disk, but not in memory (Or not part of the options data object, just the "config file" data object").

If you re-log in using the same window, it takes what it has in memory (ie just the options data object, it does not re-parse the config file) and writes it to disk.

If you close the window then re-launch the patcher, it re-reads the control setup from disk and you are golden.

#15 Swift Hatchet

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 50 posts
  • LocationVegas

Posted 30 December 2013 - 12:26 AM

I still to this day have this issue. Which is really annoying. If I select, 'LOG OUT' it happens almost 100% of the time. The fact that it is not 100% of the time is honestly more frustrating. Continues to happen if I'm logged out due to inactivity. Seemingly without fail. No amount of restarting/reconnecting does anything. The settings are 'reset'.

Pretty ridiculous. Don't think I've ever played a game that does this (17yrs or so..). Granted updates and the like sometimes requires these things, this is a horse of a different color. And the color is broke. Would love a workaround.

#16 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 December 2013 - 06:57 AM

Download MwO repair tool.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=MwO+repair+tool

Also, make sure you check with your video card manufacturer for the latest video card drivers if you have not done so.

We had a guy in our unit last night with this issue. the repair tool resolved it.

#17 Swift Hatchet

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 50 posts
  • LocationVegas

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:01 PM

Appreciate the reply, but as noted months ago I've used the repair tool many times. I've also completely uninstalled (fully cleaned) and tried again. Both then and now. Which is extreme by my standards, but unfortunately had no effect. I've even dropped it on a clean VM just to be sure something in my normal dev stuff and related tools/software wasn't being weird. And yeah, my video drivers are typically up-to-date, although I'm pretty confident that would be unrelated to this particular issue.

I'm fairly tech savvy, but this one evades me. Wouldn't be quite as frustrating if I didn't have to change so many things. That and I don't usually notice until I'm in-game. Kind of a non-issue at the moment. The continuous disconnects over the holidays here is a much larger issue. Which I mention because oddly enough that 'feature' does not seem to affect things.

Perhaps one day I'll care enough to go looking and see how these things are handled. Would appreciate someone with some technical knowledge dropping a hint. I'm still willing to attack it if someone wants to clue me in. Don't dink around with CryEngine stuff at all really. :)

Edited by SwiftHatchet, 30 December 2013 - 10:15 PM.

#18 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:55 AM

Well if you can rule out the O/S and the client, *MY* next step would be to look at the rest of your software. Mind you, this is more out there, but is it possible antivirus/firewall or some other security software is not allowing writes? Are you running the client as administrator? [shouldn't have to, but I've seen it suggested of late to fix various ills]

Do you have some kind of write protect enabled on the drive, or encryption? Are you the administrator on the O/S? Are there ANY basic settings changes you make inside the O/S for performance that could affect writes?

Are you overclocked AT ALL??? If so, have you dropped everything back to stock clocks and voltages? [or, conversely, have you tried bumping up the voltage another .010 or so? I've seen some weird situations where I don't crash, but sometimes my preferred wifi network and auto connect settings reset after every reboot. . and adding another .010 or .020 fixed it]

Also, have you submitted a support ticket???

At this point I'm just brainstorming to see if ANYTHING helps you out. Running in a VM SHOULD negate most of the software checks, but it doesn't hurt to throw the ideas out. ANYTHING that may help spark something.

#19 Swift Hatchet

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 50 posts
  • LocationVegas

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

Guess I'll go the support ticket route. Fairly confident I know what I'm doing. :)

#20 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

Fairly confident I know what I'm doing.

I *ALSO* am "fairly confident I know what I'm doing". I'm also wise enough to know that it's really easy to get so focused on the problem you miss unconventional peripheral issues that could be causing said problem. I assumed that's why you'd come to post on the forums. I apologize for being wrong.

Good luck with PGI support, hope they can help you fix your issue.

Edited by Sen, 31 December 2013 - 10:45 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users