Can someone recommend a good joystick for MW:O?

60 replies to this topic

#21 FactorlanP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • LocationMy Wallet is closed until I see real progress.

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

View PostThomas Hogarth, on 09 June 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is not what I would call a reliable stick.

I've had two. Both developed severe spiking issues. The first developed severe spiking in all axis, but particularly the Z(twist rudder) axis. The second developed severe spiking in the Z axis and moderate spiking in the others axis before I replaced it. Both had been on my desk for less than six months.

The T.Flight HOTAS X is not a bad setup. Thrustmaster can make a fine product, but their customer service stinks. For the money, I'd get an old Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro if I could (Saturn ring centering, optical sensors), or a Thrustmaster T.16000M if I had to(easily the most precise joystick in the price range thanks to hall sensors).

I will defer to your opinion on the Logitech3D Pro. Haven't had one myself, but know a couple guys who have used them in a flight game that I play with no complaint other then they wear out in about a year. Which didn't seem that disturbing at the price point.

Edited by FactorlanP, 09 June 2012 - 09:16 AM.

#22 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

I've had two. Both developed severe spiking issues. The first developed severe spiking in all axis, but particularly the Z(twist rudder) axis. The second developed severe spiking in the Z axis and moderate spiking in the others axis before I replaced it. Both had been on my desk for less than six months.

The T.Flight HOTAS X is not a bad setup. Thrustmaster can make a fine product, but their customer service stinks. For the money, I'd get an old Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro if I could (Saturn ring centering, optical sensors), or a Thrustmaster T.16000M if I had to(easily the most precise joystick in the price range thanks to hall sensors).

Well the Thrust master T.16000M reviews say that the buttons on the base are difficult as they are not separate and as for the Microsoft, I don't even think it will work on my PC, wrong cables. I think it would have to be a USB device.

#23 Zerik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 158 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

I've have my Logitech 3D Pro for...Well, my dad gave it to me a few years back, who knows how long it's actually been in use.
Seems to be a reliable stick, has plenty of buttons that are quick to access, throttle, and all that good stuff. Haven't had any problems with it, except there was one point where it stopped responding in MechWarrior 4, but that I'd attribute to my old laptop's USB ports more than the joystick itself. I plan to use it and keyboard with MW:O, unless I somehow come across a large lump of cash wanting to be thrown at the Artemis.

#24 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

I may have to defer to your opinion on the Logitech as well. I know it's cheap but I don't want to be replacing them all the time.

#25 Honsau

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 12 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

Thrust Master T-Flight Hotas X is a good stick. I have used mine for Mercs and flight sims. Works great.

#26 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostZerik, on 09 June 2012 - 09:20 AM, said:

I've have my Logitech 3D Pro for...Well, my dad gave it to me a few years back, who knows how long it's actually been in use.
Seems to be a reliable stick, has plenty of buttons that are quick to access, throttle, and all that good stuff. Haven't had any problems with it, except there was one point where it stopped responding in MechWarrior 4, but that I'd attribute to my old laptop's USB ports more than the joystick itself. I plan to use it and keyboard with MW:O, unless I somehow come across a large lump of cash wanting to be thrown at the Artemis.

Damn too many contradictions, I knew this would happen :)

View PostHonsau, on 09 June 2012 - 09:21 AM, said:

Thrust Master T-Flight Hotas X is a good stick. I have used mine for Mercs and flight sims. Works great.

Yea that's starting to look like the favourite to me. Does it have any Force Feedback or vibration on it?

#27 BlakeAteIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 394 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

I've always had better luck rocking the keyboard+mouse combo in Mechwarrior games.

#28 CapnTytePantz

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 46 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

You can pick up a new Saitek X52 for around $80 or a refubished one for $60. The great thing is that you get a throttle control assembly AND a joystick for that price. That and Saitek makes some of the best (simulator) flight control systems. Just sayin'!

#29 Zerik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 158 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

View PostCorralis, on 09 June 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

Yea that's starting to look like the favourite to me. Does it have any Force Feedback or vibration on it?

That's the fun thing about hardware...Some people can destroy it in a month, others can make it last for decades. <_<
Unfortunantly though, force feedback is the one thing it dosen't have.

#30 dogowar

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationEssex UK

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

I used to have a Speedlink Blackwidow & have to say it was a very good & comfortable stick. I used it for flight Sims such as IL2 & Rise of flight with no problems.

#31 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

First off, I personally use a variety of joysticks... I'll walk you though each one I've used.

Posted Image
Logitech Extreme 3D pro 20-30$: This was one of the first joysticks I used. it has the common 'sidewinder' action, which is that the joystick twists for torso twisting. it's a good stick, plenty of buttons, [which can be doubled up if you make one of the buttons a 'joystick shift' key but this is a feature on all sticks] and it feels good and fairly natural. still a tried and true stick you'll hear a LOT of mechjock's talk about, and with good reason, the stick is stable and good. I have both the standard and the 'force 3d pro' which is a force feedback version... both are good sticks.

Posted Image
Saitek Cyborg v.1:20-25$ The Cyborg V.1 is a decent stick, but it's definatley an entry level stick, it has a throttle built in[as will all sticks I review] and a few buttons to choose from but really, this stick felt... lacking. it's still quite a responsive stick, and if you don't want to pay any more than 20 bucks for a stick, this is a decent buy, still I'd spring a bit more money for one of the other options.

Posted Image
Saitek X45 flight control system. 20-50$

This is the older version to the x54 flight system that many people use. It's a sturdy hotas setup that offers quite a bit in the way of buttons and options. the problem I've run into with this stick is that in Mechwarrior 4: Mercs, the secondary hat switches do not regester as buttons, and thus will not read for the game. That said, this is still my primary HOTAS stick, and one that I still use constantly to this day. The primary issue i've had with this stick is that the buttons feel a bit... cheep. it's not a HUGE problem, but it does feel kinda meh. still it's my most highly recommended stick. The only issue you may find with it is that the joystick itself does not twist, instead on the throttle is a 'rudder control' rocker, which you would use for torso twist. I personally prefer the rudder control rocker to the twisting joystick method... but that's mostly due to how I set up firing groups on my additional firing studs on the joystick.... it's a personal prefernece.

Posted Image
Thrustmaster Top GUn Afterburner. 30-45$
This stick is a bit unique also it feels a bit loose, and that wasn't something I could fix while I owned this stick, It was however, my first HOTAS stick, and as such I feel in love with the options it presented me. It has plenty of buttons, and it's most unique feature is that you can switch between the rudder lever on the throttle, and twisting the joystick for torso twist... it offers both.
I personally felt this joystick was a bit, floaty, and didn't offer the response the other sticks did.

Posted Image
Last, but certernly not least....
The VTC [Vertical Tank Controller] Steel Battalion X-box controller. {Good luck getting it for less than 200$]

This, is in a way, the holy grail of Mechwarrior simulator controllers, offering 45 buttons [that's including toggle switches] the Steel Battalion VTC is a beast of a controller, also it take some work to get it honestly working the way you want it to, first off, you have to buy an x-box to USB dock to plug the controller into... well that's assuming you have the 200 bones to throw down on this bad boy. It's also assuming you have windows XP as the controller has issues working with anyhthing above that [no one's written a driver for it for modern OS] Now this controller is far from perfect for Mechwarrior, however if you want to feel like a true Mechwarrior [and be a bit closer to an accurate mech cockpit setup as described in the novels] this offers two joysticks, one which control torso movement, the other turning... the footpedals your forward and back movements, while the 'slide step' control from steel battalion functions to fire your jump jets. the gear shift takes you though different preset speeds...

really with this controller, you need the MW4 profile that was written, that way you have a diagram of what everything does. I've only played a couple of matches with this controller, what I will say is that the right stick feels very good, and while a bit slow, is accurate in it's movements, allowing you to aquire target's fairly sure... it's simply an akward controller to get used to. Still fun to play with.

My overall recommendation is to get the Saitek x45 or 54... it feels good, it's responsive, and it's not overly sensative.

Please note, this is almost a word for word post of my joystick review over at Mektek.net and as such, some things may not apply to Mechwarrior: Online.

Also, after thinking about it... The VTC may be the way to go for MWO, however for your price range, I have some decent choices here.

And to the hater's for the Logitech 3d Pro... NUTS! [just kidding] It's a decent stick... it excels nowhere, but for the pricerange... is solid.

#32 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

Posted Image

So now we have to add this to the list. I have to be honest, It looks great and it's the right price.

#33 Nitrodamus

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

I've been rocking my Logitech 3d pro for a year now with no issues and I can definitely say it's worth the money (a measly 30$).

It's one of the most reliable and cheap joysticks out there; excellent for joystick virgins

#34 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• 5,339 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

View PostCorralis, on 09 June 2012 - 09:31 AM, said:

Posted Image

So now we have to add this to the list. I have to be honest, It looks great and it's the right price.

Saitek X54... the 'big brother' to the x45... I really want to get my hands on this stick.

Oh and for those curious... my current 'primary' stick, is my Logitech Force 3d Pro [the force feedback version of the 3dPro.]

Edited by Jade Kitsune, 09 June 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#35 CompleteTanker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

I'm in a similar boat to the OP.

I have a Saitek ST290 pro, and like the X52 it has a naked spring at the base of the stick.

What's putting me off Saitek sticks is the amount of creaking and squeaking my current stick makes (I don't hear it with my headphones on, but the people around me complain), so I'm hesitant to buy something that will do the same thing.

I'm also looking at the ThrustMaster T-FLight Hotas, but I'd prefer separated joystick and throttle. Probably be a "Premium Feature" and out of this price range :-/

#36 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

Although it's good value for money, I'm hesitant to recommend the X-52. There are too few buttons on the stick itself, the pinky trigger is annoying as hell, and a lot of the stick's upper real estate is taken up by two enormous fidgety hat switches. The throttle is a solid, but the stick is also a bit floaty. It centers well, but it doesn't feel like it has much resistance at all, which, IMO, makes it a bit twitchy.

I have a Saitek Cyborg Evo. Personally, I think the button placement on the Evo is excellent. There are plenty of inputs, a nice, responsive hat switch in the center, and virtually everything is adjustable to your ergonomics. The Evo, however, has a hell of a time centering after a few years of gentle wear, meaning I need a pretty healthy dead zone. :\ Some cursory googling shows me it might be tough to find, though.

Personally, I think I'm going to save up for the Hawken controller. I really like the throttle + keypad arrangement on the Artemis, but I can't justify whatever hundreds of dollars they are going to charge for that ridiculous screen.

#37 Corralis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 577 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

Well thanks a lot for your reviews Jade, very helpful. I think the Steel Battalion one is out cause it's gonna cost too much and probably won't work with my PC.
I am liking the Saitek X52 though. The Logitech Force 3D Pro is actually quite expensive (over £60, although the non FF version is a lot cheaper), so I'm not sure that's possible.

#38 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• 5,339 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

an update on the VTC... someone did make windows 7 64bit drivers.

and no problem corralis. That sucks about the Force 3dpro... I picked mine up at an 'entertainment exchange' out here in the states called Bookmans [all over arizona] for relatively cheep[around $40usd I do believe...] I lucked out on my VTC aswell, and got ahold of it for $75 USD.

Edited by Jade Kitsune, 09 June 2012 - 09:45 AM.

#39 Thomas Hogarth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 463 posts
  • LocationTharkad

View PostCorralis, on 09 June 2012 - 09:19 AM, said:

Well the Thrust master T.16000M reviews say that the buttons on the base are difficult as they are not separate and as for the Microsoft, I don't even think it will work on my PC, wrong cables. I think it would have to be a USB device.

Buttons on the base generally get ignored fairly frequently. The real selling point of the T.16000M is the hall sensors - the same hall sensors used in the Warthog at a much higher price. Hall sensors are contactless, so they'll last a lot longer than regular potentiometers.

View PostCorralis, on 09 June 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

Force feedback generally has one downside: Force feedback stick centering. This tends to be imprecise and mushy. For a flight sim where you spend much of your time outside of center, that's not a terrible thing. For a 'Mech game where you spend most of your time aiming at center detent? Very bad thing. In fact, I'd say center detent performance is very high on the list of requirements for a 'Mech joystick.

View PostCapnTytePantz, on 09 June 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

You can pick up a new Saitek X52 for around $80 or a refubished one for $60. The great thing is that you get a throttle control assembly AND a joystick for that price. That and Saitek makes some of the best (simulator) flight control systems. Just sayin'!

Saitek has one major problem: Spring-and-plate centering. This is by far the worst system for center detent performance, although their X52 Pro isn't too bad thanks to the metal plate.

View PostZerik, on 09 June 2012 - 09:24 AM, said:

That's the fun thing about hardware...Some people can destroy it in a month, others can make it last for decades. <_<

Logitech has some well-documented issues with their potentiometers. Compare that with CH Products, who also use pots, but are known as a very, very reliable brand. I feel sorry for the G940 owners who spent a nice lump of cash on their sticks only to find the throttle and rudder spiking in a few months. (G940s use hall sensors for the X and Y axis, and those seem to be holding up quite well)

#40 Blaze32

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 428 posts

View PostCorralis, on 09 June 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

The final one I have seen is this

Posted Image

Logitech 942-000005 Extreme 3D Pro Joystick

Much more simple from the looks of it but also from Logitech so it should be a decent bit of kit.

So out of the 3, which one should I go for? Or is there any I have missed which you think are better?

Thanks a lot in advance.

This on is the best... had it since it came out and it still works like brand new!
And it has a 8 way hat on top great for cycling weapon groups and weapons This one has great quality and and many buttons!

EDIT: i have been using it for around 4 years i think...

Edited by Blaze32, 09 June 2012 - 09:56 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users