36 replies to this topic

#1 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:13 AM

When your slow and they are fast its really hard to aim. While in most cases its best to pick apart mechs little by little, using controlled damage, this is never the best option when facing light mechs. Instead save your heat for big alpha volleys. The chances of a good hit are few due to lags shields and their natural speed. That is why when you have a good shot you have to make it count by doing as much damage as possible, while having it spread the least. A good leg shot all at once is always better then trying to do a little leg damage all the time.

#2 Ub1k

Rookie

• The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

and also try to put your back as close as possible to a wall to prevent being circled non stop.

#3 LogicalTightRope

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 146 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:15 PM

For those of you struggling to keep your front facing a light, try turning your throttle to the negatives, it will make it a lot easier to turn to face the lights. This may not do it for assaults, but a good pilot should be able to in mediums and many heavies. It's better than nothing in any case, and I almost never see anyone employing this tactic.

#4 Spiral Eddie

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

Logical, do you mean walk backwards? that is something i do when faced with a light mech and you are correct to say lots of people don't do it.
I walk backwards and find a wall if i can.
regarding the OP, an alpha strike to take a mech out is all good but what if u miss, lots of eggs in one basket.
I'm of the school of though keep shooting them and make a hard target of yourself. lots of light pilots target you cause they think you are easy kill but if you make it harder they will likely find someone else to harass.
Also streaks seems to put a lot of as well.

#5 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

I find that lasers (with beams) often help a lot. Glazing their legs helps.

#6 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

protip: aim.

#7 HozeMonky

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

Backing up helps! Another good idea is when you're being orbited by lights and they get out of your line of sight, immediately start turning in the opposite direction to get them back in your crosshairs more quickly, then track them in the direction of their travel. This may give you two or three opportunities to fire per orbit rather than one or two. Also if you have arm mounted weapons (especially lasers) un-lock your arms either in the control options menu or by holding down the shift key. In most humanoid mechs this will give you much more horizontal firing arc.

#8 WVAnonymous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

Lead the target,
pull the trigger,
aim low,
do not, under any circumstances, overheat

#9 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

I like acting like I lose interest in them, I find alot of pilots in general will stop to carefully aim at me if I shoot at someone else then yell SURPRISE as I unload on them with the rest of my lasers. (Note this only works if no one ELSE is shooting said light for obvious reasons.)

#10 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 30 June 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

I like acting like I lose interest in them, I find alot of pilots in general will stop to carefully aim at me if I shoot at someone else then yell SURPRISE as I unload on them with the rest of my lasers. (Note this only works if no one ELSE is shooting said light for obvious reasons.)

Wow. Those guys must be really dumb. If someone stops turning to find me, I have a great tactic. I get behind them and keep unloading at their back. Either they will turn around, or I will core them from the rear. No skin off my Spider either way.

Edited by mailin, 01 July 2013 - 07:55 PM.

#11 Mootrix

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

Speaking as a dedicated Spider pilot all the tactics above are better than trying to circle strafe. However the best advice is do not get stranded by yourself - when you do you're my meat :)

#12 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

I love it when bigger mechs just run around in circles twisting their torso from left to right.
The hard ones to get close to are the ones who stand still and walk backwards in circles.

#13 BR0WN_H0RN3T

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 701 posts
  • LocationElysium

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

View PostOnTheRocks, on 27 June 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

and also try to put your back as close as possible to a wall to prevent being circled non stop.

There's good synergy between this and alpha-striking as it keeps the light mech in front of you and u have the opportunity to alpha strike each time they change direction

EDIT: Oh, and Streaks + BAP are your friend.

Edited by Brown Hornet, 01 July 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#14 Mokou

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 417 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

Tips: shoot mechs to kill them.

#15 Mootrix

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

Of course its a little known fact that lights are like the monsters under the bed - the only way to make them go away is to hide under the blankets.

Of course we light pilots recognise that this is not very practical in the middle of a battle - we suggest that you walk away slowly, keeping your back turned to us at all times, if you pretend that we do not exist then we vanish in a puff of smoke...

...on an unrelated note where is your rear armour weakest?...just asking :)

#16 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:32 PM

View PostMootrix, on 01 July 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

Of course its a little known fact that lights are like the monsters under the bed - the only way to make them go away is to hide under the blankets.

Of course we light pilots recognise that this is not very practical in the middle of a battle - we suggest that you walk away slowly, keeping your back turned to us at all times, if you pretend that we do not exist then we vanish in a puff of smoke...

...on an unrelated note where is your rear armour weakest?...just asking :)

haha, it's funny you mention that as I have lead several unsuspecting lights right into a group of 4 or 5 team mates by walking away slowly in my atlas. The lights get so frenzied at how easy a time they are having shooting my back, and desperate to get that atlas kill, they push WAY to far into a hoarde of heavy mechs thirsty for revenge and get anihilated. Now I wouldnt try to walk like 500M or something this way, but I am never that far from my team. So long As I have the light targeted, and the little triangle is on the map, any team mate with have a brain will see it on the minimap/radar and instinctively turn to kill the invader.

Of course, I only do this after reverse/back up to wall/etc has proven ineffective due to light pilot's skill level vs how ponderous my 100 ton mech can turn. or how undergunned my 8R LURMPOCKOLYPSE is to fight you off.

#17 Mootrix

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:58 PM

View PostEldagore, on 01 July 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

haha, it's funny you mention that as I have lead several unsuspecting lights right into a group of 4 or 5 team mates by walking away slowly in my atlas. The lights get so frenzied at how easy a time they are having shooting my back, and desperate to get that atlas kill, they push WAY to far into a hoarde of heavy mechs thirsty for revenge and get anihilated.

yes, target fixation is risky for anyone but certain death for light pilots - however see my previous advice for heavies about not getting too far from the pack.

#18 Hauser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 976 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:18 AM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 30 June 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

When splat cats were useful and had an incredible torso twist range I used to do just that. Stop. Turn your legs slightly so you can do the whole 180 degree turn. Turn around to face them and splat!

#19 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

Best way to kill a light: bring a teammate.

#20 Asmosis

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:35 AM

Best advise when fighting lights?

If you absolutely can't hit it, SHOOT SOMETHING ELSE (or get ssrms).

Light pilots: just because he can't hit you, doesn't mean his 4xPPC stalker buddy 600m away isn't lining you up. *never* decelerate. Pull a figure 8 if you need to stay behind him, you needed a bit of time to cool off your lasers anyway.

Edited by Asmosis, 02 July 2013 - 06:37 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users