36 replies to this topic

#21 Iceman486

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 24 posts
  • LocationFlorence

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:05 AM

I find it hilarious that pretty much every pilot i've seen wastes autocannon ammo on a light. I just find it pathetic that it takes an ac/20 or ac/10 to kill a light in everyone's eyes. Save the ammo for the the heavier mechs. Not our fault that you can't kill us with anything else

#22 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:23 AM

View PostManDaisy, on 27 June 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

When your slow and they are fast its really hard to aim. While in most cases its best to pick apart mechs little by little, using controlled damage, this is never the best option when facing light mechs. Instead save your heat for big alpha volleys. The chances of a good hit are few due to lags shields and their natural speed. That is why when you have a good shot you have to make it count by doing as much damage as possible, while having it spread the least. A good leg shot all at once is always better then trying to do a little leg damage all the time.

I'll be honest, I've watched more mechs overheat and shut down trying this. Especially if the poor ****** gets caught alone, it seems that once the pilot starts to panic they start to alpha more often, which just gets them killed faster. A 20 ton mech traveling at 150+ kph is just not going to be easy to hit, and trying to blast them off the planet in a single giant salvo is going to do more harm than good.

Some weapons are better against lights (lasers, SRMs, SSRMs, LB-10X), and if you aren't going to bring them along, you really need a buddy who does.

#23 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

View PostIceman486, on 12 November 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

I find it hilarious that pretty much every pilot i've seen wastes autocannon ammo on a light. I just find it pathetic that it takes an ac/20 or ac/10 to kill a light in everyone's eyes. Save the ammo for the the heavier mechs. Not our fault that you can't kill us with anything else

On one of my Shadowhawks I have mlas, streaks, BAP and an AC10. Until a light it legged, I only fire the AC if he is running straight away from me. Otherwise, I work on his legs and nail him with streaks. Once he's legged, I fire an AC round at his other leg and watch him go boom.

#24 DyDrimer

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationRight here.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

back up, shot low, sweep legs....die..get mad bring KTO-18 in next match and take revenge. Always works well. :)

#25 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

View PostSpiral Eddie, on 27 June 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

Logical, do you mean walk backwards? that is something i do when faced with a light mech and you are correct to say lots of people don't do it.
I walk backwards and find a wall if i can.
regarding the OP, an alpha strike to take a mech out is all good but what if u miss, lots of eggs in one basket.
I'm of the school of though keep shooting them and make a hard target of yourself. lots of light pilots target you cause they think you are easy kill but if you make it harder they will likely find someone else to harass.
Also streaks seems to put a lot of as well.

Depends on your situation and intent. If you are alone and wish to drive the light away then a little constant leg damage will scare off most mech drivers, they will go find another target versus risking losing their leg. If you are with friendlies and can survive a shutdown(even if you will not shutdown) then by all means go for the alpha leg shot. But again it is situationally and intentionally dependent in my experiences.

#26 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

Pray your teammates hit the light and not you. The last thing I need when getting nipped in the leg by a light is an AC10 to my shiny metal rear end.

#27 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

View PostMootrix, on 01 July 2013 - 09:19 PM, said:

Of course its a little known fact that lights are like the monsters under the bed - the only way to make them go away is to hide under the blankets.

Of course we light pilots recognise that this is not very practical in the middle of a battle - we suggest that you walk away slowly, keeping your back turned to us at all times, if you pretend that we do not exist then we vanish in a puff of smoke...

...on an unrelated note where is your rear armour weakest?...just asking :)

Read this as "Monsters in bed." I like to think my Raven is pretty good, but I'm not sure that it's a monster.

#28 Nakamura Takeshi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 177 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

A well placed AC/20 round can leg a light quickly if you are a good shot, blew a Commando leg off this morning then finished him with another round as he hobbled (I call it the "ol' One Two Boom"). Plenty of ammo in my Cataphract and I shoot pretty well.

Edited by Nakamura Takeshi, 15 November 2013 - 08:19 AM.

#29 Gtbuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts
  • LocationSoutheast US

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:27 AM

I didn't get a chance to read every post, but my 2 cents....if your using a mech with ballistics and or missles against a light with JJs...when they go airborn aim for their landing spot and fire off an alpha just as they land. There's about a .5-1 second window when they will be slowed or completely stopped.

#30 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

All I can say is "Thank the gods for the Kintaro!"

#31 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

View PostOnTheRocks, on 27 June 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

and also try to put your back as close as possible to a wall to prevent being circled non stop.

I've done mroe than 80% of my time in a light mech. THIS is the best advice for frustrating me. It's going to make you a better/easier target for my non-light buddies, but if you're one-on-one against a light, keep it in front of you. Your weapons fire FORWARD, your sensors (and vision) work FORWARD, and your armor is thicker FORWARD. You CAN NOT turn as quickly as a Jenner can circle you, and it's pathetic to watch you try.

If I can't stay out of your forward firing arc, then I can't fight you one-on-one (unless you're another light/Cicada). Of course, I CAN drop artillery right behind your head if you stay put. ;-)

#32 The Boz

• 1,317 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:07 AM

I'm most often piloting my Atlas. Most fights that I lose against lights is because I did everything right (reversed straight into a wall, unlocked arms, etc), but the light humps my crotch, and I can't even see the light, let alone hit it with more than one arm laser on a random, unaimed part.

Edited by The Boz, 16 November 2013 - 06:16 AM.

#33 Davinelulinvega

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCorridan IV

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

View PostThe Boz, on 16 November 2013 - 04:07 AM, said:

I'm most often piloting my Atlas. Most fights that I lose against lights is because I did everything right (reversed straight into a wall, unlocked arms, etc), but the light humps my crotch, and I can't even see the light, let alone hit it with more than one arm laser on a random, unaimed part.

don't panic! you can't see the light if you're hectically looking to either side.
lock your target! you'll at least see it on the minimap (and the sensors will see it, even if you can't)
turn your legs to the side and twist your torso with your back to the wall.
never get caught alone. no really, a lone atlas is a dead atlas...

#34 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:37 AM

Also, if you're alone, lock your target on that light. There's a chance your buddies will see your fatlas battling a jenner and come to help.

#35 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

And if you're getting crotch-humped, it might not be a bad idea (unless you're already shredded) to drop artillery right in front of yourself (which is, right BEHIND the oblivious light pilot). You can absorb the damage a lot better than can he, assuming you don't take one in the brain. And if he DOES get wise to it, at least maybe he'll run off a bit--then you can take a shot or two at that soft, soft back armor. Just a thought.

#36 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:20 AM

I have hunted lights before. And been hunted. I find that the 2MPLaser on my CPLT-K2 are adequate or anti-light work. I aim for the legs and blow them off. Or if the poor fool runs, I chance it with the PPCs.

#37 Urdasein

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:32 AM

Ive one shoted countless lights with AC40. When landing after a JJ, the light make a little stop... and bewm. Pest control. Also try some luck shot fireing AC20 shells one by one. Sometime it works. When i got the leg, i smile.

But yeah, it is stupid to run after lights unless you are a light yourself or a kintaro.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users