New Battlemech Movement Behaviour - Feedback

522 replies to this topic

#181 Mofwangana Bogogono

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

Great change. It'll take some getting used to, but will make assaults just a little less dominant.

#182 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

Minor observation - there are shaded patches on the water in River city and where some of the steps used for access there is no shading for the gradient.

So, if we walk up the stairs we wont be slowed down, but if we walk over some small undulating (and pretty much flat) terrain out in the water we will?

Not sure this makes much sense.

Image below for some examples:
  • Ramps in centre, upper and the upper city spawn do not have gradient attributed according to the image
  • Gradient is going to clip mech speed in the water/shallow area - im not sure this is intentional?
  • Gradient applied to inaccesible areas e.g water/lower city boundary you cannot actually climb - will this affect mechs that jj over and onto this zone even though its a straight wall?
  • Blue area circled - apparently no effect, even though there are obstacle and the area circled is lower then the surroundings.
  • Flat area on the edge of the upper cap appears to have a 45 degree deceleration rate?
N.B. I really hope that small boulders will not have the same impact as a 45+ degree slope? Can the devs provide any details on the distance/object size threshold used?

Posted Image

Edited by White Bear 84, 27 June 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#183 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

I love it. It gives JJ the power they deserve and it adds more options for balancing different chassis.

#184 General Kefka

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 24 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

If traversing an incline slows a mech then by that logic, a mech traversing a decline would accelerate?

Possibly fall down if too fast? Think fat kid running down hill. Movement faster than thunder-thighs could safely handle.

#185 Scott Masterson

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

Hmm... I'm definitely in favor of this, but could it be rejigged by tonnage bands rather than size?
It would give the mediums and fast heavies a band of their own to excel in. Same for the Large 'Mechs.

Odd that the Stalker is in a similar band to the Awesome.Similarly, I'm slightly annoyed that the Cataphract and JagerMech are in the same band as the rest of the Mediums and light heavies.

Tiny: Jenner, Commando, Spider
SlowdownAngle: 40°

Small: Raven, Cicada
SlowdownAngle: 35°

Medium: Blackjack, Centurion, Hunchback, Trebuchet, Dragon, Quickdraw
SlowdownAngle: 30°

Large: Catapult, JagerMech, Cataphract, Awesome, Victor
SlowdownAngle: 25°

Huge: Stalker, Highlander , Atlas
SlowdownAngle: 20°

Edited by Scott Masterson, 27 June 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#186 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

Having read multiple posts from people commenting on the difficulty non-JJ mechs will have I'd just like to stop and take a moment and......

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Feeling like a smug smartass cause I only pilot JJ capable mechs!

#187 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

View PostscJazz, on 27 June 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

Having read multiple posts from people commenting on the difficulty non-JJ mechs will have I'd just like to stop and take a moment and......

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Feeling like a smug smartass cause I only pilot JJ capable mechs!

Trolololol.. ..lol.

Posted Image

#188 Capt Cole 117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationSeattle Aerospace Defense Command, Terra

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:29 PM

Its good to know JJ will finally fill their intended role.

#189 Ph30nix

• 2,444 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

i think 45 is a bit harsh to be honest, 60-70 sounds better to me at a drasticly reduced speed of course

#190 hoverstorm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

Good change, making the need for jumpjets... Now, can Catapult-K2 have jumpjets (even if it is just 2)? I am saying this, cause, K2, currently have an disadvantage over other cats. There's no risk of a poptarting K2, with PPCs as well since JJs are shaking so much.

#191 Nutlink

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMountain Man!

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:34 PM

Personally I wish it was tied more to the engine and not the mech itself. A Centurion capable of going 97kph should have less of a problem going uphill than a Centurion that goes 64kph. Bigger engine, more power to push itself upward. Still, this is better than having all mechs have the same restrictions, and definitely better than no change at all.

#192 Cylence

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

If volume is being used as the primary factor in determining the slowdown level, can this perhaps lead to a revisiting of mech scaling? A larger, more properly scaled Stalker would then be better justified at the Huge slowdown level.

I would like to see tonnage and engine size have some part in the calculation, but I'm happy to see even this as a starting point. Let's see some more critical thinking like this PGI, and less dumbo idea machine like the suggested boating solution.

#193 Dexion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationWestern Ma.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

Hummm... I really want to try out Alpine (Did I realy just say that?) once this goes live.. Cutting off the "Shortcut" over the mountain to anything non-jump capable might get more of the map used.

#194 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

View PostDexion, on 27 June 2013 - 07:56 PM, said:

Hummm... I really want to try out Alpine (Did I realy just say that?) once this goes live.. Cutting off the "Shortcut" over the mountain to anything non-jump capable might get more of the map used.

yeah, it funnels one team to three locations, while there is more flexibility for those coming from the south, be interesting to see how it impacts tactics. Seems like it is unbalanced to the south team.

#195 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

Supergiant step in the right direction

#196 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

I like that this is going to get implemented, but would it simply be easier to create a mechanic based on weight and the engine rating that decides if you can climb a certain slope?

It would save some work when implementing new designs.

#197 Erwiin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:03 PM

+1 to this idea. Now we just need to wait for water and rough terrain to slow 'Mechs down. :)

#198 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

View PostThontor, on 27 June 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

green means doesn't mean no slope, it means "0-20" according to the legend. I assume those ramps are around 20 degrees

That is true, but i would argue that they may be more than a 20 degree slope. The small ramp heading into upper city definately is.. ..this will call for some screenshots and testing on the weekend..

Posted Image

For the images to be a bit more represenative on a map like this i think that surfaces with a 0 degree angle should be transparent.

#199 armyof1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

I don't really think the Stalker needs any more advantages, it's already designed to be too small for its' weight. But now it'll walk up slopes better than the 5t less Victor?

#200 Haitchpeasauce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

I like these changes. Will bring a new dynamic to maps that will be good.

But, is a light mech is impeded by a slope in the land, but not impeded by being partially or fully submerged in water?

PGI, I challenge you to run through a river and tell me you can manage the same speed as on dry land.

Edited by Haitchpeasauce, 27 June 2013 - 10:00 PM.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users