- - - - -

New Battlemech Movement Behaviour - Feedback

522 replies to this topic

#361 KhanHeir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

I hate it and you people should be ashamed for enabling more ridge humping.

#362 Kodjak

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:36 PM

I love the new way of movement!! Never change it back!

#363 VXJaeger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:47 PM

Well, otherways ok but I'd take one step back. 45deg -> 55deg and movement never reached 0 would be more practical solution. Right now mechs tend to stop right to the apex of the hill, and get "stuck" when momentum runs out. Very frustrating.
Also Stalkers, which weren't exactly ballet dances before, are now near useless 'cause every tinyest rock on flat land will stop them immediatelly.

#364 Will HellFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:59 AM

Great addition PGI, I absolutely love it.

It makes every map more tactical as limiting movement "channels" maneuvers along definite lines, which in turn limits lines of fire.

#365 Milt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:04 AM

i like this new feature, however i believe that jj need to have forward movement based on throttle instead of momentum. i also believe that mechs with hand actuators should never reach a speed of 0 since they should be able to "climb".

#366 Emery Radick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 202 posts
  • LocationOutreach. Looking for new hires

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:14 AM

Awesome job PGI! please don't listen to the "OMFG NERF EVERYTHING!" crowd. We have a few bugs to work out and that should be expected with any major feature.

Now for feedback. The slowing as you run over rocks thing can be annoying but I like it. It adds a dynamic that should be there. Big robots should not be able to run over really rough rocky places without slowing down.

My only real gripe is when jump jetting up a hill you can get stuck really easy. If your not moving forward when you jump you just jump straight up into the air and fall back where you were. If your at full throttle froward/backward and jump your mech should move just a bit in that direction to avoid being hill stuck. Think of it like jumping forward without getting a running start.

Great patch all in all. Thank you!

#367 Further

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:25 AM

I like it. But it has been VERY frustrating to me. I've had it where I'm jumping around with my Quickdraw and land right on the edge of a slope that I can't get up and it brings me to a DEAD STOP, which of course is crap and usually results in me getting exploded everywhere.

#368 Disapirro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 254 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:26 AM

View PostSteel Claws, on 02 July 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

This is the worst thing they have ever done to the game. I have yet to meet anyone who has actually played with the changes and likes it. The maps are not designed with this in mind. And lets just forget about that "IF it has snow on it you can climb it" line because it isn't true. Why bother upgrading engines when your going to be slowed to a crawl by every little change in elevation. I see no real reason for this.

I like it, so there goes your whole argument.

#369 Disapirro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 254 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:30 AM

Some minor tweaks to how JJ work, and I think movement is in a very good place.

#370 Dremnon

• PipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 60 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:19 AM

The idea is sound, but it needs some desperate fine tuning now. Almost ever map has areas now that were once easily accessible, and now you just can't reach them. Unless I've missed something, the criteria that PGI has come up with to limit movement up slopes is based on angle in terms of how your speed decreases (20 to 45 degrees) or if you stop (greater than 45), but there is no way of knowing what the angle is you're travelling on, so you could go from a 45 to 50 and stop dead, and worst yet the graphics really don't show a small change like that on a map. It's like mounting a weapon and not showing the cross hairs, and then that weapons is moving around all over the place and you're expected to hit something. If you're going to use a criteria to limit movement, you need to have an angle indicator on the HUD, but I think in terms of gameplay and map utilization as it stands right now, I'm finding this extremely difficult to play, especially on Alpine and Canyon.

#371 Kraven Kor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,434 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:35 AM

Generally, I like it. It is realistic, makes jump jets more of a mobility advantage as they should be, and has changed up how maps are played a bit, already.

I agree with others saying the rules on what slows down and when and by how much seem... odd. Just make it a function of tonnage and engine rating. Weight class and such should not matter. Just tonnage and engine rating.

#372 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:37 AM

Decent concept, horrible implementation:

1) Entire map regions are basically cutoff now, unless you have jump jets. This just encourages less creative play.

2) Ridge humping is back, but made far worse by mechs regularly being stuck near the top of a hill, unable to move forward, and thus being blasted to pieces before being able to reverse and try again.

3) Tourmaline is a disaster thanks to all the crystals everywhere and often at crazy angles. It is far to easy to get stuck on them, particularly if you slide off a higher point and end up in a spot where you can't find an effective way out.

4) Rocks may as well now be infinitely tall pillars. This makes about as much sense as a person being unable to cross a phone book since the book has an over 45-degree slope on all sides. Oh, and most maps have a lot of rocks.

5) Too much time is now wasted worrying about the terrain. I get it - I shouldn't be able to scale near vertical walls, but I also shouldn't have to keep a constant eye out for rocks that will stop me, slopes that might be a bit too steep, etc. just to avoid coming to a crashing halt in the middle of a fight.

So, yeah... good idea, bad implementation. The max slope needs to be steeper, the speed should never go to zero, and something needs to be done about little rocks and crystals that now stop mechs cold or slow them to a crawl.

Edited by oldradagast, 03 July 2013 - 05:40 AM.

#373 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:45 AM

The climb changes are ok but the mechs seem even slower and harder to maneuver than before. A x5 movement buff would be good. Or better yet why don't the staff load up a CD of MechWarrior 4 Mercenaries and see how the mechs move and maneuver in FPV and 3rdpv and you will get the picture. Here I will even put a link to some MW4 action for you all to learn from. http://www.bing.com/...cenaries+videos

#374 Enigmos

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

Very small objects will stop an Atlas in his tracks as if he could not lift his feet a millimeter.

If caught on a slope, or even a small rock, Jumpjets afford no forward momentum on their own. Lifting off after becoming stuck only gives a moment of vertical lift without moving the mech from the impassible location.

In order to maneuver while in combat while in close proximity to slopes the mech must stand in place and pivot only. An Atlas on a slope is little better than a stationary turret.

Some engines that seemed adequately robust pre-patch now seem quite underpowered.

Edited by OriginalTibs, 03 July 2013 - 06:21 AM.

#375 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:32 AM

Overall, I like the changes. I have played every map except Alpine in every class of mech.

It definitely adds another layer of strategy to the game, and will take adaptation, but this is a good mechanic that only needs some minor tweaks. I believe Canyon Network *MIGHT* need some slight reworking on SOME slopes, as it seems there are a couple of corridors that are a little too boxed, effectively making them deathtraps for non-JJ mechs. (Or maybe that is the intent).

It definitely gives you an adrenaline rush in a fast (non-JJ) mech when you are suddenly slowed and less maneuverable and you just know you are under an enemy's reticle.

#376 Michido

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:33 AM

I like it. but i only pilot a CTF-3d with all 4 JJ's so my opinion is a little biased

I had a fun game yesterday of conquest in the canyons where both teams funneled straight to a capture point and pushed over it for a good long while. A clear line of contention was drawn and the canyon walls gave me an excellent opportunity to poke at their flanks and run away.

how much fun the non JJ mechs on the ground were having I cannot say.

#377 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

I like the idea, but the effect seems to be rather arbitrary. Why not an across the board formula

((45-slope angle)/45) = adjusted speed

45 degrees =((45-45)/45)=0% of dialed speed
35 degrees = ((45-35)/45)=22%
25 degrees = ((45-25)/45)=44%
15 degrees = 66%

Even small slopes should have an effect, they would just be less noticeable as they should. (Get on a treadmill and walk at 0 degrees for 5 minutes, then try 10 degree slope for 5 minutes. You'll feel the difference.)

Other things that I think should be included as they would determine the momentum that you are carrying with you.

mech mass
gravity
dialed speed
engine rating compared to max rating

So an Awesome on Forrest Colony with a 300 would get stuck faster than a Catapult with the same 300 or an Awesome with a 400.

my initial observations last night on Alpine were that some of the snow covered slopes were not climbable either in spite of what Garth said.

#378 Punk Oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

For the most part I have enjoyed the new mechanic, it has made me re-think a few times where I want to set off too.

I agree that a sweep needs to be made on all the maps eliminating the "rock pillars" that are randomly everywhere.

Also I am not sure if it has made alpine better or worse... I have had matches that point in both directions haha.

#379 Cest7

• Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

Less vertical faces on doodads (rocks, etc.)

#380 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

To add to this, a mech is not a bowling ball, and that's what I feel like I'm piloting now. I can only "roll" along slopes, vs. being able to lift my feet and step over silly little obstacles like rock pillars and small crystals. The result is very arbitrary "forcefields" which I cannot traverse. While I agree that mechs walking up 80-degree slopes was absurd and made Alpine and Tourmaline very strange places, this change in its current form has resulted in unpredictable behavior on all maps when mechs simply get stuck because they effectively cannot lift their feet. It's not realistic - mechs are not balls - and is frustrating in gameplay and feels sloppy in design.

As I said before, it makes about as much sense as a person being stopped by a phonebook or being unable to climb stairs since both intersect the ground at an angle over 45-degrees.

Significant changes are needed:

1) The speed drop is faster than it should be (it's rather unrealistic now) and mechs should not go to 0 speed. If you want to climb Alpine at 1 kph, fine, but at least let folks get out of stuck spots vs. being locked at 0 kph.

2) While jumpjets are a good way over terrain, the interaction between their lack of forward momentum and steep angles can easily lead to jumping mechs being stuck in locations, which also feels unrealistic and is frustrating.

3) Small rocks and crystals should only slow you a bit, even if they intersect the ground at 90-degrees.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by oldradagast, 03 July 2013 - 08:09 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users