Concerned About The Thunderbolt's Missile Hunch.

35 replies to this topic

#1 Harabeck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

Please, PGI, that hunch will be a huge liability for the Thunderbolt. Either give it a separate hitbox (we know you're planning on shoulder hitboxes!) or make it completely absent if you don't put missiles there.

#2 Lyoncet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:50 AM

Yeah, it's a big hunch, but the hump isn't enough to sink the Hunchback as a 'Mech, and most HBKs lose almost their whole arsenal if they lose their hunch. Thunderbolt loses a hunch and (stock variant) you still have 3 lasers and a couple Autocannons to fall back on. Sure, HBKs are smaller, but still.

But yeah, it'd be cool if they treated the hunch as an externally mounted missile rack instead of a hardwired piece of the chassis.

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostLyoncet, on 27 June 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

Yeah, it's a big hunch, but the hump isn't enough to sink the Hunchback as a 'Mech, and most HBKs lose almost their whole arsenal if they lose their hunch. Thunderbolt loses a hunch and (stock variant) you still have 3 lasers and a couple Autocannons to fall back on. Sure, HBKs are smaller, but still.

But yeah, it'd be cool if they treated the hunch as an externally mounted missile rack instead of a hardwired piece of the chassis.

The Hunch IS nerfed by it. The thing has a small enough profile without, that it could run an XL, but because of that hunch, it ain't happening. Same thing here.... XL = Death Wish.

#4 Lyoncet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:07 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 June 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

The Hunch IS nerfed by it. The thing has a small enough profile without, that it could run an XL, but because of that hunch, it ain't happening. Same thing here.... XL = Death Wish.

Oh hell no, no way I'd put an XL in that thing if the shoulder tumor is hardwired. My point was just that it's not a death sentence. Besides, the concept art makes it look like the Thunderbolt has a barn door strapped under each arm insofar as center-to-side torso is concerned, so I don't think it looks like a very good candidate for XLs in the first place. Seems like it would likely end up as an even more vulnerable Flame.

#5 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

XL? In a Thunderbolt? Get thee behind me and so on and so forth! That's blasphemy, that is! The Thunderbolt has always been a tough as nails, heavily armored bruiser. Putting an XL in one and making it a fragile, little kitten is just wrong. Endo steel, certainly, but XL? NEVER!

#6 Gralzeim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 366 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:27 AM

Harabeck, that's a HUD bug, it doesn't mean anything concrete.

About the Tbolt, we'll have to see the 3D model, it may vary quite a bit from the concept art. I mean, the art looks great, but I agree that the missile pod would be a priority target for anyone, just like the Hunchback's hunch (except for the 4SP which has no big hunch). Though it wouldn't be as bad for a heavy, and as others have said, it wouldn't be like you'd lose 95% of your firepower if the shoulder blows, unlike the non-4SP Hunchbacks.

#7 Finn McShae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 475 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

Its like my little hunchback got all growed up.

#8 Yiazmat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 531 posts
  • LocationCentral CA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

Posted Image

That big-o missile hump will make going up over to "peak" shoot a deathtrap on this thing. Also, the lines for the CT are odd and pushed up over the Left Torso... we'll see. It looks like a kickarse machine.

#9 Ph30nix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

i only have the 9 ML version of the hunchie but my opinion if that hunch goes im borderline useless anyways so SCREW IT XL it is!

#10 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

shoulder mounted weapons should just have 50% armor+health of the torso its mounted on. (adjustments on number made where needed) The torso is armored like any other. Pod weapon's armor values are stand alone and do not take from mech's armor pool.

When the mounted weapon is destroyed, the torso doesn't blow up with it.

Posted Image

Edited by Tennex, 27 June 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#11 TheFuzzyBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 446 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

I like it.

#12 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

They can always give specific meshes on a Mech have more damage resistance. They already did it with missile bay doors.

So quite simply, if balance is a concern, they could simply look at Mechs that have liability hitboxes like an AC/20 Hunchback and give parts of the huge box some better damage resistance, same with the future Thunderbolt missile hunch.

#13 Yiazmat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 531 posts
  • LocationCentral CA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 27 June 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

They can always give specific meshes on a Mech have more damage resistance. They already did it with missile bay doors.

So quite simply, if balance is a concern, they could simply look at Mechs that have liability hitboxes like an AC/20 Hunchback and give parts of the huge box some better damage resistance, same with the future Thunderbolt missile hunch.

+1

But, it's Pgi....

#14 Kibble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

Whats the differance between the Thunderbolts hunch and the Hunchbacks hunch?

#15 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

View PostKibble, on 27 June 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

Whats the differance between the Thunderbolts hunch and the Hunchbacks hunch?

...that one hunch may be optional without a second missile system being installed. THey are making their mechs modular. If the Highlander or the Trebuchet is to be used as an example, the over the shoulder pod is the default location for a second missile system, with the first being built into the torso.

At the risk of making way too much god damned sense, why don't we take a wait and see approach, hm?

#16 Praehotec8

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 851 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:43 PM

But it looks so COOL! I love it!

#17 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:45 PM

PGI will probably treat shoulder weapons like they don't exist/no hitbox there

just like how other removable weapon meshs don't have a hitbox.

Edited by Tennex, 27 June 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#18 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

i wouldn't be surprised if it had it's own hitbox by then, clans will be out shortly after and the timberwolf will be leading the charge. what better way to test the shoulder hitboxes?

#19 Damocles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,527 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

I like chassis distinctions, homogenized mecha for the lose.

#20 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 27 June 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

...that one hunch may be optional without a second missile system being installed. THey are making their mechs modular. If the Highlander or the Trebuchet is to be used as an example, the over the shoulder pod is the default location for a second missile system, with the first being built into the torso.

At the risk of making way too much god damned sense, why don't we take a wait and see approach, hm?

wait and see? what would the trolls do if they couldn't bash pgi for everything they think they are doing wrong?
also i say the hunch should stay on, it's pretty iconic for the mech, but i get what your saying, it would make sense for it to come off if you don't have a weapon system installed there

View PostYiazmat, on 27 June 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

Posted Image

That big-o missile hump will make going up over to "peak" shoot a deathtrap on this thing. Also, the lines for the CT are odd and pushed up over the Left Torso... we'll see. It looks like a kickarse machine.

yeah the tbolt has always been a favourite of mine mostly due to it's odd sharf of the big hunch and the offset cockpit.
they have made this look better then i thought they could...however i guess i normally say that for all mechs, other then the quickdraw i guess, i don't care for the looks of that thing

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users