Concerned About The Thunderbolt's Missile Hunch.

35 replies to this topic

#21 Zyllos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

View PostYiazmat, on 27 June 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

Posted Image

That big-o missile hump will make going up over to "peak" shoot a deathtrap on this thing. Also, the lines for the CT are odd and pushed up over the Left Torso... we'll see. It looks like a kickarse machine.

I actually think the Head will exist inside the Left Torso hitbox area. Meaning that if you don't hit the window of the Head, your actually hitting the Left Torso.

#22 MisterFiveSeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostYiazmat, on 27 June 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

Posted Image

That big-o missile hump will make going up over to "peak" shoot a deathtrap on this thing. Also, the lines for the CT are odd and pushed up over the Left Torso... we'll see. It looks like a kickarse machine.

Those lines (while complete conjecture) mesh pretty well with the torso contours... and make it look like the tbolt would make a hell of a zombie :(

#23 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

It's no worse a liability than the Hunchback has. On the plus side, it will be able to fire over cover effectively.

#24 Thunder Lips Express

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 905 posts
  • LocationFrom parts unknown

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:07 PM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 27 June 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

XL? In a Thunderbolt? Get thee behind me and so on and so forth! That's blasphemy, that is! The Thunderbolt has always been a tough as nails, heavily armored bruiser. Putting an XL in one and making it a fragile, little kitten is just wrong. Endo steel, certainly, but XL? NEVER!

i mostly agree with you, as that was my opinion with the cataphract as well, however recently i have been running my 4x with 4 ac5 with an xl and the added 15 kph i find really helps, i still do on average above 500 damage with it, same as if i didn't have the xl, but now im not slower then an atlas :(

#25 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostEcliptor, on 27 June 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

i mostly agree with you, as that was my opinion with the cataphract as well, however recently i have been running my 4x with 4 ac5 with an xl and the added 15 kph i find really helps, i still do on average above 500 damage with it, same as if i didn't have the xl, but now im not slower then an atlas :(

Mmhm. I swore up and down that an XL in a phract was suicide, but turns out the extra speed you get can save your butt just as easily as the extra durability can. Case in point, a quick mockup of the Tbolt with a Gauss, ERPPC, 3MLas, and 16 DHS with an XL300 lets the thing move pretty freaking quickly, and I absolutely will not be concerned about side torso loss.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 27 June 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#26 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:17 PM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 27 June 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

XL? In a Thunderbolt? Get thee behind me and so on and so forth! That's blasphemy, that is! The Thunderbolt has always been a tough as nails, heavily armored bruiser. Putting an XL in one and making it a fragile, little kitten is just wrong. Endo steel, certainly, but XL? NEVER!

Going to be hard to get a really good loadout without an XL. Did up a ER PPC, Gauss, 3 ML, 2 Streak, 14 DHS config and it required both endo and a XL to fit. Best I could come up with using a standard engine was swapping the Gauss for a UAC/5 which I guess isn't too bad, just not as good as the Gauss.

#27 Profiteer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

Oh no's... looks like a cross between a Hunchback and an Awesome.

Possibly a candidate for 'worst hit-boxes ever'.

#28 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:23 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 27 June 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

Mmhm. I swore up and down that an XL in a phract was suicide, but turns out the extra speed you get can save your butt just as easily as the extra durability can. Case in point, a quick mockup of the Tbolt with a Gauss, ERPPC, 3MLas, and 16 DHS with an XL300 lets the thing move pretty freaking quickly, and I absolutely will not be concerned about side torso loss.

been beating that drum since Closed Beta. On a mech like an Atlas, no matter what you cram in, you will be slow, so XL really IS suicide (OK in a Missile Boat, I guess, but please stop using Assaults to do jobs others do better. Or at least use a Stalker to boat). But on many other mechs, that extra speed ads the ability to escape and evade, and has extended my viability in game far more than being a Zombie has. One of my favorite examples is the YLW which is FAR more dangerous when it can hit 100 kph, and simply doesn't have the armor to be terribly great when slow. (And honestly, lasting 5 minutes with a full payload, vs lasting 6 minutes with 2 medium lasers for most of it? You will do more hurt without the ZOmbie)

*Shrugs* of course some just comes down to playing style, but that little lesson seems to be the hardest one for all the "pro-gamers" around here to get.

#29 Finn McShae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 475 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

*Raise hand* I am a certified XL hater. I know I mostly get cored, I know that more speed or more weapons will be better, but every time that side torso pops on my XL I always feel like I could have done SO MUCH MORE if I'd just have gone standard.

Jagers have proven to me that I don't HAVE to run STD and still be tough (enough) and all, but I still run my Firebrand with a STD, lasers and AC/5. Instead of the two other good builds I like on it; LLAS and UAC/5; or PPC and AC/5.

#30 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

The 'Bolt's going to be fine. Doubt we'll ever see extra hitboxes. Looking forward to piloting the TDR with both standard and XL engines as have all through the decades.

#31 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

View PostElyam, on 27 June 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

The 'Bolt's going to be fine. Doubt we'll ever see extra hitboxes. Looking forward to piloting the TDR with both standard and XL engines as have all through the decades.

It is coded in the UI so you never know

Posted Image

#32 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostFinn McShae, on 27 June 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

*Raise hand* I am a certified XL hater. I know I mostly get cored, I know that more speed or more weapons will be better, but every time that side torso pops on my XL I always feel like I could have done SO MUCH MORE if I'd just have gone standard.

Jagers have proven to me that I don't HAVE to run STD and still be tough (enough) and all, but I still run my Firebrand with a STD, lasers and AC/5. Instead of the two other good builds I like on it; LLAS and UAC/5; or PPC and AC/5.

so... basically, you are a mas.ochist? :rolleyes:

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 27 June 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#33 Finn McShae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 475 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:44 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 27 June 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

so... basically, you are a mas.ochist? :rolleyes:

More or less.

I also used to play a lot of TT merc campaigns where we tracked cost of repairs and such. XL engines were so painful to repair that I almost always skipped them alltogether. A further holdover; training myself to not put CASE on EVERYTHING has been a Mech Lab challenge. No, I don't need it on XLs. Yes, I can just toss some ammo in legs and CT's (things I'd NEVER DO IN TT). Until they let us start kicking, then that ammo in the legs might be more risky.

Also, for whatever reason (maybe just perception) I seem to do much better in my Firebrand with the STD, AC/5 LLAS build. I get almos the same damage on average as any of the XL builds I've made, and those LLAS somehow always score kill shots

#34 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:04 PM

View PostFinn McShae, on 27 June 2013 - 05:44 PM, said:

More or less.

I also used to play a lot of TT merc campaigns where we tracked cost of repairs and such. XL engines were so painful to repair that I almost always skipped them alltogether. A further holdover; training myself to not put CASE on EVERYTHING has been a Mech Lab challenge. No, I don't need it on XLs. Yes, I can just toss some ammo in legs and CT's (things I'd NEVER DO IN TT). Until they let us start kicking, then that ammo in the legs might be more risky.

Also, for whatever reason (maybe just perception) I seem to do much better in my Firebrand with the STD, AC/5 LLAS build. I get almos the same damage on average as any of the XL builds I've made, and those LLAS somehow always score kill shots

I have my TT hold ups too, like not storing ammo in the head........

And glad to see SOMEONE beside myself didn't play monty hall players have everything given to them type campaigns. We had campaigns where what our units went through made Misery look like a picnic. But we also had some perks like one unit I was allowed to run had a few salvaged Star League mechs in 3025, including the commanders, which was a MAD-1R (the GM wasn't gonna let us run around with ER PPCS and stuff) that had been in his family since the days of the SLDF. After the CASE panels blew out in a fight, it was rebuilt as a MAD-3D, since no one knew how to replace or rebuild a CASE. THe Armor was still FF from a stash, so he added an extra .5 ton instead.

Fun times.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 27 June 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#35 Anonynonymous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

I'm more concered to the fact that I'd look silly as hell with a huge pepper shaker on my shoulder.

#36 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

It may be coded, but I'll stand on it not happening.

Always good to hear of the other experienced, dedicated BT/MW players (though I've become a little rusty in the last decade). No doubt, my builds in MWO are still based on what I think or know is right from the olde days. No ammo in head - check. Still buy CASE even when using XL - check. Won't consider all ammo types and the accompanying feed conduit able to fit through any ole limb/torso joint - check. Tend to put everything in traditional spots on known variants - check. Tend to use a good weapons and system mix, particularly on certain chassis, instead of superboating - check. Sometimes even hold myself to no linked fire, everything on separate triggers and not fired simultaneously, almost imagining the dice dropping with each shot...though its hard to keep to that plan in MWO.

Edited by Elyam, 28 June 2013 - 10:25 AM.

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users