My Take On An Open Letter To Pgi

Answered

65 replies to this topic

#21 Kunae

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostSyllogy, on 27 June 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

Just because they don't acknowledge you doesn't mean they aren't listening.

Your mom lied.

#22 Malora Sidewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 390 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:28 PM

I agree. The fact that they have used zero of the communities ideas (aside from extreme exceptions) and persistently ignored us means they aren't listening.

#23 Bushrat

• PipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 99 posts
  • LocationCanada & Guyana

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

This is a great idea.... PGI please do this.

#24 blueferral

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

This is a good idea. PGI, please listen!

This is a good idea. PGI, please listen!

#25 Tombstoner

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

1.5+ years in with 6 months to go why change now.?

the ask the devs questions segment of the forum is up to 40 posts. that's what 80 weeks of interaction. but are only answering the questions they want to answer.

The most important tuning patches are the last 2 after all major content has been added. everything else in between is just an experiment that can and will break. as long as the game is kinda fun and not totally broken it can limp along. it doesn't need a dedicated community manager when PGI's resources are finite and filled.

A dedicated community manager needs to know everything about the game and that is not going to be available. it can only be a member of the senior staff. president, senior game designer, weapons numbers guy.

The community does however need DEV feed back for community ideas desperately. why this wont work or how about this. we tried that it sucked. Other wise we are just a bunch of stress testers and cash pinatas.

#26 Blaze Burnbright

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:53 PM

Hi,

It would be a good idea to have some official route for players to interact with the development team. A test server would certainly go a long way to providing the chance to prove concepts before going live.

It almost goes without saying that any commercial company which fails to address the concerns and desires of its paying customers is doomed to the history books.

Regards
Blaze.

#27 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

View Postjeffsw6, on 27 June 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

So, FupDup for President?

A good start. I'd personally go for a triumvirate making up me, FupDup, and Soy. Communication with devs would be strictly in form of time-linked YTP videos.

On a serious note, I agree too... but seems like they have plenty of people who should be already doing that. Either they're not doing their job properly, or its falling onto deaf ears somewhere higher up the food chain.

Edited by Chavette, 27 June 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#28 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

Everytime they hear "Competitive community" they totally zone out, but they fail to realize that the same weapon balance that is upsetting us, is in fact upsetting pubs.

They're getting hit by current meta configs then coming on and going "Alpha Strike is too hard, please nerf it!" without any understanding at all of what is going on, in particular if they joined the game after missiles and pulse lasers were screwed over many months back.

So they're not having a good time with this either, even if they are too inexperienced/stubborn to swap themselves.

#29 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

Look bud, you're on an island. Posted Image

Game balance is almost perfect. Posted Image

What, what's wrong with our medpulse catapults and AC/10 boats? The meta is fine. Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Victor Morson, 27 June 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#30 Bushrat

• PipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 99 posts
  • LocationCanada & Guyana

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

#31 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:05 PM

So, this is not a discussion about GamePlay Balance. Its a discussion about PGI andIGP including a communication between a User and a Staff member, a resulting forums posting, the result of the posting, and now a response to the results of the posting in the forum of a new thread.

So, it's going to be moved to the Jettisoned Communications for now because it's not a gameplay-type discussion. It has been noted, hoewver, and is currently in queue to be reviewed by Support staff.

I know we don't have a "general discussion" section anymore because people wouldn't use the other forum sections for what they were meant for, but we can't use Gameplay Balance as the new General Discussion. Right now, as a non-gameplay discussion, this thread doesn't really belong in the MW:O Universe subsection of the forums. It's being moved to Jettisoned COmmunications, but it has been flagged for review by Staff.

As a side note: There is some Canadian Federal/Mandatory holidays coming up this [long] weekend, so please be aware of this in the upcoming next few days concerning the availability of Support staff.

#32 mekabuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

agree with OP and OP in other cited thread..Actually fired up warthunder FIRST last night and didnt regret it which is bad for MWO . As far as I can tell its a game that does everything better, not to mention looks great and runs smooth as silk.
THeres actually SO much missing from this game I can t for the life of me figure out WHY they havent filled the positions advertised for @ pgi.
THat fact actually deserves its own thread..
Pgi.. Why doesnt anyone want to work for you?

#33 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

I agree with the OP. Currently it seems that the developer staff simply switches things from OP to useless, flipping arbitrarily between the two. The very idea of 'fine tuning by incrementally adjusting' seems to be a foriegn concept, which is unfortunate. The level of feedback we recieve as a community, presumably of playtesters, is downright BAD. A liason would allow us to get our feedback to the devs, and hopefully do away with the wild flailing about that seems to be happening now.

#34 JudgeDeathCZ

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 27 June 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

As a side note: There is some Canadian Federal/Mandatory holidays coming up this [long] weekend, so please be aware of this in the upcoming next few days concerning the availability of Support staff.

So PGI/IGP staff do not have internet at home?

Edited by JudgeDeathCZ, 27 June 2013 - 01:17 PM.

#35 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 27 June 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

So, this is not a discussion about GamePlay Balance. Its a discussion about PGI andIGP including a communication between a User and a Staff member, a resulting forums posting, the result of the posting, and now a response to the results of the posting in the forum of a new thread.

So, it's going to be moved to the Jettisoned Communications for now because it's not a gameplay-type discussion. It has been noted, hoewver, and is currently in queue to be reviewed by Support staff.

I know we don't have a "general discussion" section anymore because people wouldn't use the other forum sections for what they were meant for, but we can't use Gameplay Balance as the new General Discussion. Right now, as a non-gameplay discussion, this thread doesn't really belong in the MW:O Universe subsection of the forums. It's being moved to Jettisoned COmmunications, but it has been flagged for review by Staff.

That's great to hear. I am curious, what would be the "proper" forum for things of this nature? Should we skip right to K town, I guess?

I'm more concerned that while Gameplay Balance is in fact not in the proper forum (I think it's taking on that role because most of people's problems are balance related almost exclusively) for some of these discussions, they have effectively removed a proper venue for them from the forums, like "Customer Feedback" or something of that ilk.

As hard as it is to host critism on your own forums, I think it has done a ton to keep people from other venues instead (Facebook, twitter, etc.) in any force, which is far less damaging. I really don't want MW:O damaged. If the dev team takes this thread, and the DOZENS of other threads like it both in K-Town and Gameplay Balance (abit, more gameplay balance-centered ones that bring up similar complaints) and actually listens to even a little bit of them, I know I - and I think many others - would be drastically happier.

I've gotten more than a few polls out there with literally hundreds of votes showing concern, clocking in at just under 75% of responses received (There's dozens of links to other similar polls with similar to even more dramatic results in that thread). This is not a minor issue and my primary reason for saying everything I did is, in my book, a last ditch effort to try to get some communication with the devs before they murder a game that I happen to really like for good with their isolated view on what's going on in the game and apparent misreading of the metrics through all the franken "white noise."

Anyway, thanks and the fact this is going to get read by somebody makes it's movement to Jettisoned Communications more than fair.

View PostJudgeDeathCZ, on 27 June 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

I want them to fix stuff as much as the next guy, but I do not expect devs to be dealing with this on their freaking day off.

Believe me, I want something done about the balance situation ASAP myself, but ASAP to me is "An acknowledgement of a new direction and over the course of a couple patches."

I really can't stress enough that I am not remotely angry at PGI. I'm frustrated with the state they've left the game, and concerned that they have fallen massively out of touch with how things go "on the ground." Also given their patch record of massive overnerfs, I'm concerned that if they were to do a reevaluation, they'd just nerf the wrong thing (See the Alpha Nerf concept) and replace our current one-note meta with another one-note meta.

Edited by Victor Morson, 27 June 2013 - 01:25 PM.

#36 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:24 PM

Some stuff can be done at home, some can't, but I personaly don't like working on the 4th of July if I have the day off.. I mean, the Staff does perform Adminy stuff on their own time sometimes, actually often, but you do have to give some respect to Days Off and working hours in a non-emergency/medical field.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 27 June 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#37 Malora Sidewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 390 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:27 PM

as critical as i have been of PGI in the OP, i wouldn't dare pretend that i would expect them to work holidays or on their days off.

That would be totally unfair to both them and to myself for having unreal expectations.

#38 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

Okay , after some review this will be moved to the Website and forums section; it's not going to remain Jettisoned, but it's not really going to fit in the Gameplay-related subsections either...

Edited by Prosperity Park, 27 June 2013 - 01:34 PM.

#39 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:42 PM

View Postjeffsw6, on 27 June 2013 - 11:54 AM, said:

Garth already is their spokesman. His job is community whatever. Forum, facebook, etc. Hell, I bet Garth still logs onto myspace, because there might be some MW:O players there. Okay, perhaps myspace is a stretch...

Point being, they have someone whose job is to do what you described.

Garth does not speak for PGI, he is a community representative, but he is not a spokesman. They need a Press Secretary where all public notifications and information released directly goes thru him/her. Nothing gets approved for release to the public information-wise except thru this person. Garth does not fit that roll...

#40 Malora Sidewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 390 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

I'm in the process of getting as many competitive teams on board with this as possible.

I really hope that when this thread gets seen, the first thing they notice is how many people agree with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users