About Internal Structure And Armor

4 replies to this topic

#1 Tsuki Ookami vas Mugunghwa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

so after getting more and more of the heavier chassis i more than often find myself unable to upgrade them to Ferro fibrous and endo steel, respectively.

and i wonder if that is intended.
that lights or mechs with a rather small amount of weapon hardpoints can have both upgrades and still have their favorite weapon loadout, while even some 50 tonners can not do it. i doubt that an atlas can even have one of the upgrades in and still enough slots for sufficient weaponry.

i see the tradeoff in XL engines (6 more slots and higher vulnerability against lower weight) but it feels off for the structure and armor upgrades.

I mean if it's the point to decide between slots for weapons/heatsinks or those 2 upgrades so be it.... but still.

i guess its due to the fact that bigger mechs dont get more slots. and i can see the point in that as well. arms with lower actuators should not carry AC20s and legs should not fit double heat sinks.

but i feel i should not be forced to give up firepower to give my assault mech the superior, and in itself lighter, armor plating.

Edited by Wolfsspinne, 27 June 2013 - 03:08 PM.

#2 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

Yes, you will only utilize all 3 in lights or very special cases.

Ferro is not superior to standard. It provides no more protection than standard armor would. It simply saves you weight at the cost of crits. Same as endo steel, although endo steel is better in every situation just about.

Always get double.

Almost always get Endo, most exceptions are assaults just because you can use the slots.

Almost never get ferro. Only good on lights and very few other mechs.

#3 Lootee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

Pretty much what he said ^^.

FF armor tends to be useful only on the builds that have massive engines but not many guns. You end up with lots of left over space and no weight. So then you take FF after you've already gotten ES and DHS for the 0.5 - 2.0 extra tons it frees up.

I think I only have FF on my Jenner and CN9-D.

The fast Centurion is actually a great candidate for FF, because you either want to run the 300XL engine it comes with, or a 385-390XL for speedster torso shenanigans.

Edited by PanchoTortilla, 27 June 2013 - 04:40 PM.

#4 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:49 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 27 June 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

Yes, you will only utilize all 3 in lights or very special cases.

Ferro is not superior to standard. It provides no more protection than standard armor would. It simply saves you weight at the cost of crits. Same as endo steel, although endo steel is better in every situation just about.

Always get double.

Almost always get Endo, most exceptions are assaults just because you can use the slots.

Almost never get ferro. Only good on lights and very few other mechs.

Right on the nose with this post. FF and Endo really aren't designed to go together in Inner Sphere mechs. Clan now, that is another story since FF and Endo only use 7 each with Clan tech...AND...Clan FF is much more effective.

#5 AnnoyingCat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Locationcat planet for cats

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:28 PM

fancy light mech, eh? i remember me commando cost me quite a bit

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users