#61 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

View PostJust wanna play, on 30 June 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

so lets be honest are the ppcs really themselves that dangerous or is it the shear numbers that they are employed in causing the problem?

Combination numbers, range, and them travelling nearly twice as fast as the next fastest projectile weapon with heat low enough to alpha strike 6 of them back to back 3 times without real consequence.

This is when in tabletop firing 3 ER PPCs (and 2 streaks) over the span of 10 seconds, then firing another 3 ER PPCs (and 2 streaks), followed by a third time is a sure fire way to blow yourself up.

To compare, tabletop 9 ER PPCs over 30 seconds kills you, but firing 18 ER PPCs in the span of 12 seconds is "safe." A single firing of 6 ER PPCs with a green pilot is liable to cause more damage to yourself (due to losing consciousness, falling over, premature shutdown from the reactor's strain to power those things, etc) than you do the enemy, and that's with tabletop accounting for the concept you fire 1 shot at a time over the span of 10 seconds to total your 6 shots (so if evenly spaced firing 1 ER PPC every 1 and 2/3rd seconds for 10 seconds).

AC/20s work in line with tabletop (albeit single shot AC/20s are only supposed to be on a certain type of oversized tank and we're supposed to have multi-shot AC/20s dealing 3 to 10 shots in rapid succession totalling 20 damage). They're hot but not hot enough to be punished by the heat system, and always suffer from convergence issues and rarely pinpoint at less than 120 meters. It's true, we shoot them faster than TT, but we're also a lot less guaranteed to hit most things.

Edited by Koniving, 30 June 2013 - 04:03 PM.

#62 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostKoniving, on 30 June 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

[/size]

Combination numbers, range, and them travelling nearly twice as fast as the next fastest projectile weapon with heat low enough to alpha strike 6 of them back to back 3 times without real consequence, when in tabletop firing 3 ER PPCs (and 2 streaks) over the span of 10 seconds, then firing another 3 ER PPCs (and 2 streaks), followed by a third time is a sure fire way to blow yourself up. In comparison, tabletop 9 ER PPCs over 30 seconds kills you, but firing 18 ER PPCs in the span of 12 seconds is "safe."

better check yo facts dawg, lol.....ac2 travels just as fast :) uac5 and ac5 aren't far behind either while having better range and although half the damage within 540m, they have a far better fire rate

anyways, okay so they can be fired more often then they could in tabletop, but its not like they produce less heat then any weapon in THIS game, not to mention the min range part, and i wouldn't say their range is THAT great either, i carry an er large laser on certain mechs just to shoot at ppc users, sure its hot but its also smaller and light then a ppc at better range and more damage at those ranges, i cant tell you ho many times iv been hit by a ppc on just about any map and not taking any damage while my guass/er large still demolished them

Edited by Just wanna play, 30 June 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#63 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

AC/2s don't count, they're awesome but weak.

1,620 range combined with 6 of them or combined with a gauss rifle isn't much to laugh at. ER Large goes down to 0 damage at 1,350. Your Gauss can hit them at that range, but the laser didn't do anything.

This is however, getting off topic. There's better ones for gameplay balance. Last one directly on top is here.

Edited by Koniving, 30 June 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#64 Slorch

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

this is what it looks like now. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...31ac289daaba0d3

#65 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:13 PM

View PostKoniving, on 30 June 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

Holy F-S! Couldn't you just have quoted the part where I said ZeProme could pull out the link? o.O;

*Drowns in his own words!*

But specifically this post.

Being lazy~

Sorry Koniving-senpai~

#66 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostZeProme, on 30 June 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

Being lazy~

Sorry Koniving-senpai~

You know, the Japanese thing sounds cute when a girl uses the Senpai prefix (and yes I know it's weird but prefixes are after names in Japan). While still valid when a Japanese guy says it to another guy, it's just flat out creepy. Especially when you add the tilde at the end to give it that little fluctuation in how its said / read. o.o; Just sayin'.

("says uses" is also creepy. Fixed.)

Edited by Koniving, 30 June 2013 - 06:15 PM.

#67 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

View PostKoniving, on 30 June 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

You know, the Japanese thing sounds cute when a girl uses the Senpai prefix (and yes I know it's weird but prefixes are after names in Japan). While still valid when a Japanese guy says it to another guy, it's just flat out creepy. Especially when you add the tilde at the end to give it that little fluctuation in how its said / read. o.o; Just sayin'.

("says uses" is also creepy. Fixed.)

Oh wait. Herp derp, what do I call you then?

I thought senpai is honorable teacher in Japanese...

lol.

the ~ does make it sound a bit sweeter lol.

#68 Drakari

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

View PostZeProme, on 30 June 2013 - 07:00 PM, said:

Oh wait. Herp derp, what do I call you then?

I thought senpai is honorable teacher in Japanese...

lol.

the ~ does make it sound a bit sweeter lol.

Sensei is used for teachers (as well as medical doctors and artists).

Senpai is used for someone in the same group as you, such as a company or school, but having more experience. It would probably also be reasonably applicable within an online community such as a clan, or even just in the general group of "people that play this particular game".

So really, either one could have been reasonable there. The tilde at the end is what makes it read like a schoolgirl talking to the upperclassman she has a crush on.

BUT THIS THREAD IS VERY OFF-TOPIC. Not that I have much to contribute to the real topic, but I am at least moderately interested in the outcome even if it's pretty much too late for me to do anything about it and the mechs I own haven't been mentioned once...

#69 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

View PostSlorch, on 30 June 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

your next upgrade should definitely be double heat sinks because it gives you one more heat eff 8 more tons to play with and also frees up 4 crit spaces

#70 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

View PostJust wanna play, on 30 June 2013 - 07:42 PM, said:

your next upgrade should definitely be double heat sinks because it gives you one more heat eff 8 more tons to play with and also frees up 4 crit spaces

Indeed. Afterward the DHS upgrade, you can fit in a STD 260 engine for better mobility :)

#71 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

View PostZeProme, on 30 June 2013 - 07:45 PM, said:

Indeed. Afterward the DHS upgrade, you can fit in a STD 260 engine for better mobility :)

yep, AND he will get better cooling then with a 240 and 2 external doubles even though its still 10 heat sinks, such a funny game mechanic....

#72 Tremendous Upside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 738 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

View PostKoniving, on 28 June 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

Really interesting take on PB. I've been struggling to find a way to give that mech the firepower it needs to close on targets - but I think you're right. The default loadout for that seems to work best. And there's still room after ES to upgrade the engine to an XL380 and squeeze a second SRM4 in. Thanks for throwing that out there!

#73 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:54 AM

The main problem right now with ERPPC meta isn't just the numbers and the pinpoint accuracy. It's that heat isn't a big threat. Back in the old MW videogames getting up to 80% heat would make you crap your pants and try to hide until you cool off. Now it's no problem to alpha strike even at 90% heat. Over heating is not a big problem or a threat right now. However, soon it will be with the new heat patch.

#74 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 01 July 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

The main problem right now with ERPPC meta isn't just the numbers and the pinpoint accuracy. It's that heat isn't a big threat. Back in the old MW videogames getting up to 80% heat would make you crap your pants and try to hide until you cool off. Now it's no problem to alpha strike even at 90% heat. Over heating is not a big problem or a threat right now. However, soon it will be with the new heat patch.

lol of course you still need to exceed 150% heat to actually take damage (why even have a 100% heat when its not 100%???)with out overriding a shut down according to them after that patch comes, pgi is a little stupid it seems

#75 Nefczi

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

I got 4SP as first mech, been messing around with it today and this is my current setup:

HBK-4SP

Any comments/suggestions/advices?

I still suck with it. Seems like im not doing much damage with it in compare to other players, usually between 50-150 per battle. Have always many assists but rarely any kills.

The thing is that I cant do much damage from distance, have to be relatively close to be effective, but everybody and their dog seems to use rockets and fight at distance. If I try to get closer to enemy I usually run into troubles as im am the only one while rest of the team tries to "snipe".

#76 Tor Gungnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

I find that's the current meta game for ya.

Snipers, snipers, everywhere.

I find that it helps just hanging around your team while they trade sniper shots. Eventually the fight will degrade into an all-out melee. Just pray that your snipers came out on top, or you're at a disadvantage.

#77 mister5597

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

View PostNefczi, on 01 July 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

I got 4SP as first mech, been messing around with it today and this is my current setup:

HBK-4SP

Any comments/suggestions/advices?

I still suck with it. Seems like im not doing much damage with it in compare to other players, usually between 50-150 per battle. Have always many assists but rarely any kills.

The thing is that I cant do much damage from distance, have to be relatively close to be effective, but everybody and their dog seems to use rockets and fight at distance. If I try to get closer to enemy I usually run into troubles as im am the only one while rest of the team tries to "snipe".

I'm relativelly new to the game(1 month playing so far), but I'm having a good time with my -4SP with a very similar build to yours. The only difference between my build to yours would be the engine STD260>250.

My suggestion would be:Pump down the armor back to stock and swap the AMS and its ammo for 2 extra DHS.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fc95a59b07cb23a
The extra heat sinks may help a little on bringing down the time you wait to fire those lasers.

View PostTor Gungnir, on 01 July 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

I find that's the current meta game for ya.

Snipers, snipers, everywhere.

I find that it helps just hanging around your team while they trade sniper shots. Eventually the fight will degrade into an all-out melee. Just pray that your snipers came out on top, or you're at a disadvantage.

Pretty much. I hate Alpine Peaks and its "sniper" nature even when my team is moving up, can't stand the distance... Actually, can't stand long range in ANY MAP!
(Or maybe it's just that I play with my hunchbacks too much..)

#78 mister5597

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:33 PM

View PostSlorch, on 30 June 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

My sugestion on what to get next would be Double Heat Sink then Endo-Steel + STD 250.
This is my build so far:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2c7851df10f38a8

#79 Nefczi

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

After playing a lot with my 4SP with 4x ML and 2x SMR 6 i feel that those SMRs suck alot. I was struggling to deal more that 100 dmg in battle(I know i suck). :)

So decided to mess around a bit. Dropped SMRs, equipped 5th ML and 2x LRM 5. Those LRM 5 are rather weak but they are good to **** off enemies and harras light mech zooming all over the place. I also dont feel totally useless in initial stage of battle where everybody is sniping. Also another medium laser helps in close encounters. With that build managed to fit another heat sink so I have no problems with overheating while in previous build I had some problems with that.

Result? 3 battles in a row where I dealt 300-350 dmg. Scores look much better now. I big improvement for me :P
Not sure if its the new build, luck or I just got a bit better :D

Anyway, slowly piling up some CBills and thinking about another mech. This K2 looks fun! ;) And I woudl like to try something havier than med mech.

But wanted to ask If its good Idea to get diferent mech type as a second mech, or should I stick with Hunchies for now and get another variant?

Edited by Nefczi, 02 July 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#80 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostNefczi, on 02 July 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

After playing a lot with my 4SP with 4x ML and 2x SMR 6 i feel that those SMRs suck alot. I was struggling to deal more that 100 dmg in battle(I know i suck). :)

So decided to mess around a bit. Dropped SMRs, equipped 5th ML and 2x LRM 5. Those LRM 5 are rather weak but they are good to **** off enemies and harras light mech zooming all over the place. I also dont feel totally useless in initial stage of battle where everybody is sniping. Also another medium laser helps in close encounters. With that build managed to fit another heat sink so I have no problems with overheating while in previous build I had some problems with that.

Result? 3 battles in a row where I dealt 300-350 dmg. Scores look much better now. I big improvement for me :P
Not sure if its the new build, luck or I just got a bit better :D

Anyway, slowly piling up some CBills and thinking about another mech. This K2 looks fun! ;) And I woudl like to try something havier than med mech.

But wanted to ask If its good Idea to get diferent mech type as a second mech, or should I stick with Hunchies for now and get another variant?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4c51c382c3357d0 Try this for your 4SP at some point. Make sure to fire the ML and the MPL as different groups. The ML is good against some range and heavy targets. The MPL is fantastic against lights but can also do good damage against assaults. The streaks are also good against lights. Lock them just like LRMs but they fire at close range. The BAP is required to lock through ECM, but two ECM mechs can jam you.

With that build you may want to reallocate your armor to have a good amount on the rear.

This one, if you get bored of lasers and missiles, is good for long range engagements to practice with the K2 before you get it. Given the armor allocation you can take more damage from the front but you never want to get close, and let nothing get behind you.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0d1b167a4d4b99e

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users