Whatever Happened To Denmark?

63 replies to this topic

#1 Tor Gungnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

Sweden, Norway and Finland. As a Swede, this naturally leads me to wonder why our fellow Vikings, the Danes, weren't included as well?

#2 tommilator

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationZealand, Denmark

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

well, with the complete bendover to the EU and politicians eager to join the bank union even as we have rejected the euro currency, we probably ended up as a north german province, eventually turning into greedy Steiner merchants with more money than courage.

Or maybe the creators of Battletech thought Denmark was the capital of Sweden :P

#3 Snowcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

It is quite strange, as norway and sweden have more in common with denmark, than finland.

#4 tommilator

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationZealand, Denmark

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

If you actually know about the northern countries and culture. If you just look on the map you see Norway, Sweden and Finland sharing long borders, with Denmark being a small nugget of land on top of mainland Europe.

I don't think they gave it much thought when they wrote up BT fiction 30 years ago. And rightly so.

Edited by tommilator, 30 June 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#5 Rasc4l

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 496 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

View Posttommilator, on 30 June 2013 - 08:34 AM, said:

I don't think they gave it much thought when they wrote up BT fiction 30 years ago. And rightly so.

Yeah, they just looked at a map on which the 2e coin is based on:

http://lolpics.se/8715-euro-coin-*****

We Fins are the balls, the Swedes are the real thing and you see what Denmark is in that "map"...

#6 Tor Gungnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

View Posttommilator, on 30 June 2013 - 08:34 AM, said:

If you actually know about the northern countries and culture. If you just look on the map you see Norway, Sweden and Finland sharing long borders, with Denmark being a small nugget of land on top of mainland Europe.

However if you go past georgraphy you'll notice that Sweden, Norway and Denmark share a bond, of sorts. The languages are very similar as is the culture. Finland, not so much. Culturally, sure, but the language doesn't have Germanic roots like the other three. All in all I find it odd. Not so much the inclusion of the Finns, as a Swede I love those guys, but the exclusion of Denmark mystifies me.

#7 shabowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

There is no Islamic presence in space either is there? No big Latin American or African culture dominated space empires?

#8 Tor Gungnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:03 AM

Seems to me that religion is irrelevant when you've invented walking robots of death in space.

#9 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:45 AM

View Postshabowie, on 02 July 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

There is no Islamic presence in space either is there? No big Latin American or African culture dominated space empires?

Space travel wasn't cheap and only the pioneers have created more ethnically monotonous groups, the rest belnded in or ventured into Periphery.

There is a small pocket of Latin Americans in the Southwest Trinity Worlds, though.

View PostRasc4l, on 30 June 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

Yeah, they just looked at a map on which the 2e coin is based on:

http://lolpics.se/8715-euro-coin-*****

Posted Image

Edited by Adridos, 03 July 2013 - 04:48 AM.

#10 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:47 AM

Sure, there are the Azami, space muslims in the Draconis Combine. There was also the United Hindu Collective, which later became part of the Federated Suns. Really, the major "cultures" were always just a reflection of the ruling elite, and there are a huge variety of planets and people, but so much of it ends up as a giant mish-mash that a lot of that individual identity is lost. I'm pretty sure Max Liao and Takashi Kurita both had blue eyes.

I'm sure somewhere, floating out in oblivion... oh! Look! The planet Viborg! Surely the Space Danes live there! Way out in Timbuktu....

#11 Mechkilla

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:01 AM

View Posttommilator, on 30 June 2013 - 08:04 AM, said:

... we probably ended up as a north german province, ...

Hint: Steiner needed a big big parking lot for their battlemechs :).

#12 Hrungnir

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 74 posts
  • LocationMalmö, Sweden

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:09 AM

http://www.sarna.net...ayyad_Caliphate

...though they are not muslim per se. It's just a name that stuck when the Iberian settlers were invaded by settlers of unknown origin

Edited by Hrungnir, 03 July 2013 - 05:11 AM.

#13 Tor Gungnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

Not to mention this whole Jihad thingy that was around. I don't think that had any relevance towards Islam except the name.

#14 Malzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 268 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

The Draconis Combine is listed with Arabic as one of its prevalent languages, and the Free Worlds League speaks Urdu, which is also a common Muslim language. It'd be safe to say that both of those factions have a fair Islamic sub-culture.

#15 usualsuspect

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt/Germany

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:11 AM

Whatever happened to denmark?
Well...there was something rotten in the state of denmark...
;-)

#16 Reod Daie

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 75 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

The magistracy of Canopus is a world settled by Arabs, and while I can't remember if there is any mention of Islam in the novel "Double Blind" (it's been a long time), I concur that it is a safe assumption that Arab Muslims have a presence in space.

Maybe the Swedes out-vikinged the Danes?

#17 Surtr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDropship Naglfar, Clan Front

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

View PostReod Daie, on 16 July 2013 - 05:54 PM, said:

The magistracy of Canopus is a world settled by Arabs, and while I can't remember if there is any mention of Islam in the novel "Double Blind" (it's been a long time), I concur that it is a safe assumption that Arab Muslims have a presence in space.

Maybe the Swedes out-vikinged the Danes?

Actually the DCMS Arkab Legions are populated by the Azami people, who practice a branch of Islam. Its also referenced in a lot of the House Handbooks.

#18 Reod Daie

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 75 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

View PostSurtr, on 16 July 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

Actually the DCMS Arkab Legions are populated by the Azami people, who practice a branch of Islam. Its also referenced in a lot of the House Handbooks.

Ah! Well, you learn something new every day! Good to know.

#19 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

View PostReod Daie, on 16 July 2013 - 05:54 PM, said:

Nah, Canopians are more into Greek mythology.... Most likely just to **** off their Marian neihbours, but still.

#20 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:05 AM

At some secret undisclosed moment the Danes, en masse, abandoned their Money-grubbing Steiner overlords and headed out into space. They first headed towards the most logical destination, the FRR. But it sort of sucked there. The Norwe-Swe-Fin-ense folks barely recognized the terrestrial Danes and when things heated up with the Draconis Combine the Danish Immigrants were the first to feel the fire.

So once more they immigrated to form their own nation, away from their barely recognizable hybrid cousins, and the rest of the unsavory and frankly depressing universe. Thus the JarnFolk were formed.

Of course no one really paid enough attention to make a distinction between the rest of the FRR and the recent Danish arrivals.

We named two of our worlds after Norwegian Cities (Trondheim and Hamar) for two reasons. One to make the like 1 Norwegian guy we brought happy, and two to confuse people about our Danish Origins. Although its still obvious because our other awesome world is Alborg. Furthermore we brought the Icelanders with us (See the planet Hofn) and adopted their language as our primary tongue. Don't look at me. It just made sense at the time.

Incase anyone actually questions the the legitimacy of what I am saying, here is an image from the Interstellar Players guide:

Posted Image
Danes and Icelanders, clearly.

Posted Image
Oh and our first and foremost world? Alborg, naturally.

So thats where we are.
Waiting. Watching. Being rather friendly to everyone. And Watching some more.
Be wary universe for we may slumber now, but one day we will awaken and you will feel a fury unknown since Odin last walked the earth.

Edited by Mech The Dane, 18 July 2013 - 02:59 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users