Dear Designer-Team

8 replies to this topic

#1 Galen Crayn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 443 posts
  • LocationKonstanz - Germany

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

First of all, you made a very good job. Most of the Mechs are nice made. But as more mechs you create as more they look all the same... First of all you only make new humaoid Mechs with this Shape

Posted Image
They all have a big distance between the legs and most of them have a small waist. Why not make something like this:

Posted Image
I love the fat, bulky mechs <_< Ok, the legs are easier to hit, and to be bulky is also a problem for some but competitive gameplay is not important for all of us. Style is for me more important and of course FUN! Perhaps you can make one mech with this cool japanese bulky design... And more non-homanoid mechs would be also cool... Only my 2 cents.

Posted Image

#2 AlexEss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

They did.. it is called the Awesome and have seen no end of despise.

Apart form tjat i am fairly happy with the more uniform look. Give you a sense of things actually belonging in the same universe.

#3 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

I see where he is going because I kind of feel the same way. Take the QD for example. You look at the TRO and see what appears to be a relatively thin mech with thin legs. Then you look at MWO and all the thinness goes away. The Torso and legs are both much more bulky and the legs are set much further apart. In fact the QD in MWO looks nothing like the TRO Qiickdraw, which might be a good thing because the QD in the TRO is ugly as hell.

Still it would be kind of nice for them to stick a bit closer to the original art work. Seems the more mechs we get, the less they look like Battletech.

I mean the Jagermech, Cataphract, Quickdraw, Blackjack, Centurion, Dragon, Orion and Highlander....none of which require redesign like the unseen/reseen all look totally different than the Battletech TROs.

I have also noticed that they don't like curves in MWO. Most everything is blocky which is a shame since graceful curves are a signature of alot of very cool mechs.

#4 InRev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

View PostAlexEss, on 30 June 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

They did.. it is called the Awesome and have seen no end of despise.

Apart form tjat i am fairly happy with the more uniform look. Give you a sense of things actually belonging in the same universe.

I could understand that if the mechs came from the same factories, or even the same faction.

But these are mechs designed and produced by very different people, with different doctrines in mind and in different time periods as well.

For example (real world example warning!) compare a T-34/76 and a Tiger tank. Same era, different nations and, although they both look like tanks, they look like very different tanks. Next, compare a T-34/76 and a Merkava. The difference is even more pronounced, and there's less than a half century between them!

#5 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 30 June 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

I have also noticed that they don't like curves in MWO. Most everything is blocky which is a shame since graceful curves are a signature of alot of very cool mechs.

Curves are really hard on computers and add drastically more polygons than the average designer would want.

... yeah, I miss proper Raven's look too. :P

#6 Gaan Cathal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 30 June 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

I mean the Jagermech, Cataphract, Quickdraw, Blackjack, Centurion, Dragon, Orion and Highlander....none of which require redesign like the unseen/reseen all look totally different than the Battletech TROs.

PGI don't actually have legal permission to use Battletech paper-product or figurine artwork for Mechwarrior: Online. This is part of the reason for the massive workover that the mechs get visually. It has the added advantage that the original TRO artworks are, almost universally, terrible whereas Alex's designs are, almost universally, excellent.

Edited by Gaan Cathal, 30 June 2013 - 09:12 AM.

#7 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

They started putting in thin waists and small side torsos because of complaints of bulky side torsos getting blown off, eliminating the possibility of safely using XL engines in most of the original designs.

#8 DarkDevilDancer

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

Doing textures over curves is a ***** to be honest.

Plus the TT designs are from the late 80's and early 90's a time where realism wasnt the main theme behind design's, the MWO might lack a few classic features but they still stay true to the overall design while looking more like something that could exist.

#9 mack sabbath

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:40 AM

Yeah it really annoys me....every car dealership I visit, every damned car has 4 wheels, a frame and a body with a trunk...some are big, some are small, all the same.

Guess I'm back to flying a jet to the grocery store. :P

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users