Why The Frankenmech Will Always Suck, Always.

150 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you Franken? (142 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you pilot a Frankenmech (other than goofing around)?

1. Never, they are absolutely terrible. (22 votes [15.49%])

Percentage of vote: 15.49%

2. Rarely. (33 votes [23.24%])

Percentage of vote: 23.24%

3. Yes, what's wrong with them? (33 votes [23.24%])

Percentage of vote: 23.24%

4. Yes, they awesome! Why optimize? (24 votes [16.90%])

Percentage of vote: 16.90%

5. What is a Frankenmech? (22 votes [15.49%])

6. Other (Explain) (8 votes [5.63%])

Percentage of vote: 5.63%

When you encounter a Frankenmech, do you..

1. Laugh (19 votes [13.38%])

Percentage of vote: 13.38%

2. Cry (1 votes [0.70%])

Percentage of vote: 0.70%

3. Both (22 votes [15.49%])

4. Neither (100 votes [70.42%])

Percentage of vote: 70.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:54 AM

View PostBlackIronTarkus, on 01 July 2013 - 05:52 AM, said:

The poll is literally ******** and acheive nothing at all. I dont know if it was intented to be funny or not...

Anyway, I get what the OP is trying to say, and I agree to an extant.

Only partly.

I am not kidding or exaggerating when I say the last time we were 4-manning and the fight came down to two horribly designed frankenmechs that had been camping, someone screamed out "CRIPPLE FIGHT!" and it was both hilarious and sadly fitting.

More typically it alternates between "Look at this poor guy, oh man. :D " or "Oh boy, look at this guy. We're screwed."

Absolutely nothing sucks worse than a close match resting in the hands of an assault running a large pulse laser, some AC/2s, an SRM and an LRM or something ludicrous. It's just a train wreck you have to watch, but it hurts to watch it.

Edited by Victor Morson, 01 July 2013 - 05:57 AM.

#62 Zyllos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:57 AM

*shurg*

I want to play MechWarrior, not a Mech-style game. MechWarrior calls for mixed weaponry and understanding that a lot of your fire is not going to land exactly where you want so the skill involved is hedging when to take your shots.

The major problem with mixed weaponry vs boat weaponry is two fold:
  • Requires constant facing to keep DPS up
  • Reduces pin point damage
If boating did not provide any greater benefit over these two subjects, you would see no difference between these two play styles. And I think both play styles need to exist, as they did in the CBT. Some mechs are just ment to boat.

There has to be some mechanic that if your choosing to torso twist away from a target, your losing DPS against your target, significant DPS. There also needs to be more mechanics to spread damage out across sections when firing against a target, independent of player aiming skill vs. target's movement speed.

Either way, I await to see what PGI attempts to do in the future to bring more balance. Their current suggestion to increase heat when the same weapon is fired within a duration is not going to accomplish what they think it will accomplish. Hopefully, the community telling them over and over that this idea is not going to work will make them develop a new idea.

#63 soarra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,312 posts
  • Locationny

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:58 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 01 July 2013 - 05:12 AM, said:

TRO 'mechs are awful.

What I find amusing about people who insist on running TRO designs is that a lot of the guns added to TRO mechs were added by the game designers as a nerfing factor. Did you ever wonder why MGs are on EVERYTHING in early CBT, but only in pairs of two with a full ton of ammo (when a full ton could support 6+ easily within the rules?)

Simple: The MG ammo is there to cause explosion chances on overheat. Straight up. The same goes for, say, the LRM/10 on the Warhawk - if you replaced it and it's ammo with DHS, it could alphastrike (twice, I believe!) without any risk of shutdown or explosion. Not to mention the chance for someone to crit your ammo.

Record Sheet 'mechs will always suck because they've been gimped on purpose to avoid making them OP. They didn't get extra guns to look cool..

At least most record Sheet 'mechs. A few aren't awful, or require very little tweaking.

Yep, that's a frakenmech.

PPC moves 2000, AC/20 moves 900, Large Lasers are hitscan. You can't lead any of your guns with nearly the accuracy you could if you replaced the PPC with a Large Laser and the AC/20 with a Gauss, or if you swapped the LL for PPCs (I know, it's common) and the AC/20 for a Gauss.

I'd prefer more options, believe me.

Again, synergy isn't boating.. but boating is easy to obtain synergy. The more weapons we can get to parity and with things that make them "click" together, the less boating we will see. It'd be really cool if you could pair that AC/20 with Large Pulse Lasers or something instead, but they suck right now.

EDIT: But yeah, that's a bad build. Hell, if you really insist on the LLs, consider swapping that PPC over and throwing on more DHS at least. It'd bring it down to a "2 group" instead of "3 group" 'mech.

It's hard to recommend an imaginative Stalker with so many weapons in the gutter, but you absolutely could not stand up against a PPC+Gauss Stalker run by a pilot of similar skill. Not even a little chance.

lol you really need to get over your ridiculous statements. First your lrm thread than and non boat mech suck threads are rather entertaining though..
A good pilot can do quite well with a build like i use.
And some of us don't play 1 button alpha builds.. i can set up weapon groups and fire them individually like i normally do, and hit with all weapons.
Keep using your 1 button cheese alpha builds until they nerf them, the tears of the forum posters will fuel my atlas

Edited by soarra, 01 July 2013 - 06:02 AM.

#64 Thorqemada

• 6,377 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:59 AM

FrankenMech:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/FrankenMech

The informal term FrankenMech refers to BattleMechs that combine parts of different 'Mech designs.

Edited by Thorqemada, 01 July 2013 - 06:00 AM.

#65 Mr 144

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,777 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:00 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 01 July 2013 - 05:07 AM, said:

Medium lasers pair much better with the 20 than Large; I think I said that at some point here, because they A) Have a shorter range (and thus won't come into play until the AC/20 lead time is less notable), and :D Have a shorter discharge, which again, helps in this environment. Really Large Lasers aren't the WORST pairing possible with an AC/20, just one of a few. AC/20 would pair poorly with, say, AC/2 for the same reason.

This is just wrong. If Medium Lasers are an acceptable pairing, then LLs are as well. You are equating mixed weapons with mixed roles. On an Atlas...especially now with gimped SRMs...using 2xLL+AC/20+3xSSRM2 is not only acceptable, but very good. reasonable speed improvements cannot be gained. Armor is maxed appropriatly. SRMs are a poor 'upgrade' from streaks atm. There is literally no reason NOT to take the LLs over the MLs. They do more damage. The added heat is acceptable. It is simply superior to MLs. In this case, the extra range is not the reason for taking them.

Similarily, an RS with 4xLL+AC/20 is very effective. Boating the 4xLLs gives some mid range potential and is not intended to be timed for alpha striking everything outside of AC/20 range. In the 'brawl', it is superior to running 4xML again, simply due to damage.

tl;dr: mixed weapons =/= mixed roles....I can brawl with an LL just as easy as an ML, and hardpoint restrict boating more, so increased damage per hardpoint is the only option remaining.

#66 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:11 AM

View PostMr 144, on 01 July 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

This is just wrong. If Medium Lasers are an acceptable pairing, then LLs are as well.

The LLs are on a 4.25 second cycle, the AC/20s on the Mediums on a 4 second cycle.

#67 Matthew Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 891 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 01 July 2013 - 01:24 AM, said:

I just want to see someone run a mech with 1 of each Autocannon and just hold the button down on all of them at once. Call it the "one man drummer-band."

chicka chika clak chika chika boom chika clack boom clack chika chika BADOOM ckika clack boom chika clak chika BADOOM

I have a Jagermech build somewhat close to that. :D

1 AC10, 1 UAC5, 1 AC2, 1 ML (alternatively swap ML for ammo).

#68 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:15 AM

View Postsoarra, on 01 July 2013 - 05:58 AM, said:

A good pilot can do quite well with a build like i use.

True, they could.

A pilot of equal skill would cream your build in 10 seconds flat.

And some of us don't play 1 button alpha builds.. i can set up weapon groups and fire them individually like i normally do, and hit with all weapons.

Look just back one page. I just talked about why you might want to use all 6 groups with a high synergy 'mech. I understand if you refuse to play the top tier meta in PUGs - PPC and Gauss gets boring, indeed - but at least play something that meshes well. There's plenty of diverse builds you could make that would at least be fairly good.

Keep using your 1 button cheese alpha builds until they nerf them, the tears of the forum posters will fuel my atlas

If you think that's the world I want to live in, you haven't taken the time to read much of anything I've written in any thread.

#69 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:21 AM

View PostMr 144, on 01 July 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

This is just wrong. If Medium Lasers are an acceptable pairing, then LLs are as well. You are equating mixed weapons with mixed roles. On an Atlas...especially now with gimped SRMs...using 2xLL+AC/20+3xSSRM2 is not only acceptable, but very good. reasonable speed improvements cannot be gained. Armor is maxed appropriatly. SRMs are a poor 'upgrade' from streaks atm. There is literally no reason NOT to take the LLs over the MLs. They do more damage. The added heat is acceptable. It is simply superior to MLs. In this case, the extra range is not the reason for taking them.

The problem is if you want to get the optimal range and damage out of both your AC/20 and LL, you will have to manage a lead time weapon - a long lead time - with a long burn time weapon that needs to be dead-on. You can't fire both at once at optimal range and expect to hit anywhere near the same location.

Granted, AC/20 and LL is not the worst pairing. Not by a long shot. It's just not great. Honestly PPC + SRM might be the very worst.

Similarily, an RS with 4xLL+AC/20 is very effective. Boating the 4xLLs gives some mid range potential and is not intended to be timed for alpha striking everything outside of AC/20 range. In the 'brawl', it is superior to running 4xML again, simply due to damage.

Try it with 4x LL and a Gauss. It is far superior.

tl;dr: mixed weapons =/= mixed roles....I can brawl with an LL just as easy as an ML, and hardpoint restrict boating more, so increased damage per hardpoint is the only option remaining.

The thing is, everyone keeps not reading and assumes I want this world where everyone has one weapon.

I've said again and again, I want to push for more weapons that are good individually and with have excellent synergy with an array of weapons each.
I'd love a world where LBX/10, PPC and some SRMs would be an effective build, for example. The problem is two of those guns are lackluster, and all three are mismatched terribly to work well with each other.

#70 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:27 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 01 July 2013 - 05:12 AM, said:

TRO 'mechs are awful.

Oh? Because I believe I've proven time and time again, by testing them, that they do work. The Trial RS, for example, I tested for weeks and did mediocre-well in, but sadly better than my double-wide AWS-9Q. Strap a good player into a challenging build, managing multiple weapon types, and they will do decent. Certain issues with balance do prevent them from being better, namely the not so great implementation of Heat Thresholds/Heat Sinks or certain weapons.

Its the mentality that something must be absolutely customized for it to work, the "optimization" factor, min/max, etc., that is the stance of those that are simply used to Mechlabs in Mechwarrior. TRO Mechs are here to stay, and that's just how it is, no one is forced to use them, but they sure as hell better be useable. If PGI feels the need to add exact Mechs based on them as variants to buy, in the "spirit of Battle Tech," then they need to try harder to balance their weapons/equipment better and the heatsink system.

Edited by General Taskeen, 01 July 2013 - 06:30 AM.

#71 Tarrasque

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:34 AM

Man, this thread is the worst. I was wondering when another "If you don't boat whatever is OP in the meta you're a failure as a Mech pilot" thread was going to pop up.

I'll say what I always do - to each their own. Yes, a turret that shoots 6 ERPPCs is going to melt my face off; so be it. If that's how you want to play, more power to you. I like to play for fun, rather than to win, necessarily (seeing how outside of organized runs, thats a crapshoot), so my mech's are precisely the 'Frankenmech's you're talking about.

And guess what? I pilot them fantastically, know their strengths and weaknesses inside and out, and for most other pilots, it takes a bit longer for them to do the same, which grants me a fair bit of survivability.

A few of my builds (so you can tell me how much of a moron I am):

AS7-D-DC:

2 ASRM4
1 ER LL
1 ER PPC
2 UAC/5

STK-3F:

2 ML
2 LPL
4 SSRM2
2 ER LL

BJ-3:

4 SL
2 LL

CPLT-C1F:

3 LPL
2 ALRM10

I could go on with my random builds, but suffice it to say, I've played 'competitively', been relatively successful, and done the same pugging. It most definitely isn't the build, it's the pilot's understanding of their war machine. I have synergy with MY build, and it serves me just as well as any 'hardcore' player in his 3 PPC & Gauss build.

#72 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:36 AM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 01 July 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

Oh? Because I believe I've proven time and time again, by testing them, that they do work.

If you spend all your time trying terrible 'mechs, you will stay facing terrible opponents, so you will get results that ANYTHING appears to work great. Literally the better 'mechs you drive, the less you will be viable because your ELO will go up just based on the fact you are teh same pilot, but now driving stuff that doesn't suck.

The Trial RS, for example, I tested for weeks and did mediocre-well in, but sadly better than my double-wide AWS-9Q.

You seriously tried a Trial RS for a few weeks, and it does better than your custom configs?

Posted Image

Strap a good player into a challenging build, managing multiple weapon types, and they will do decent.

Only against inferior and less skilled pilots. If you drive terrible builds all the time you will almost exclusively face people in terrible builds.

Anything you are seeing, as a result, is wrong.

Certain issues with balance do prevent them from being better, namely the not so great implementation of Heat Thresholds/Heat Sinks or certain weapons.

Its the mentality that something must be absolutely customized for it to work, the "optimization" factor, min/max, etc., that is the stance of those that are simply used to Mechlabs in Mechwarrior. TRO Mechs are here to stay, and that's just how it is, no one is forced to use them, but they sure as hell better be useable. If PGI feels the need to add exact Mechs based on them as variants to buy, in the "spirit of Battle Tech," then they try harder to balance their weapons/equipment better and the heatsink system.

The bottom line is there's a whole bunch of people who want the FASA nerf'ed on purpose designs (most of those "Diverse weapons" you keep talking about were added to cause risks of heat and ammo explosions, not to provide firepower), and they keep driving them.

If you drive stuff like that and seriously man, trial 'mechs, seriously??; I mean, if you drive terrible 'mechs all the time like this, you are going to get pitted only against people who do the same the majority of the time, which will then appear to "reenforce your view" that your designs are doing alright.

Because I'm telling you right now man, you are NOT fighting good people if you're cleaning up in a trial Atlas. You just aren't.

#73 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:44 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 01 July 2013 - 06:36 AM, said:

words

20 K/D in a Catapult-K3. 0 Deaths. Beat that record. But keep on min/maxing and saying people are bad by actually challenging themselves by playing what's 'meta.' Meta in a 1/3rd Balanced Game at that.

Someone who actually takes time to test things rather than running in cheese all day is better in my book. I think I already proved my worth in maxed Jenner F's and other full min/maxed easy-ness throughout closed and open beta. So what if I use some Trial Mechs, do you? Do you take that time? Probably not, because "you think that's bad and worthless."

And an AWS-9Q is a record sheet Mech, btw.

You clearly have an agenda. Mechlab-empethamine is a pretty potent drug :D

Here is a facepalm for you:

Posted Image

Edited by General Taskeen, 01 July 2013 - 06:50 AM.

#74 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

View PostTarrasque, on 01 July 2013 - 06:34 AM, said:

Man, this thread is the worst. I was wondering when another "If you don't boat whatever is OP in the meta you're a failure as a Mech pilot" thread was going to pop up.

Way to fail reading the thread, because this has been brought up and discussed a half dozen times. I'm fighting for more weapon synergy and equality, to allow more diverse builds, very openly.

There will ALWAYS be synergy weapons, of course. But I even, right in the OP, talk about how MPLs and AC/5s could be great combo weapons if they didn't suck right now, as one example of "non-boating synergy."

There is a difference between avoiding the current PPC meta and just running crap.

I'll say what I always do - to each their own. Yes, a turret that shoots 6 ERPPCs is going to melt my face off; so be it. If that's how you want to play, more power to you. I like to play for fun, rather than to win, necessarily (seeing how outside of organized runs, thats a crapshoot), so my mech's are precisely the 'Frankenmech's you're talking about.

Again, boats =/= synergy. I've said this so many times in this thread but most of the crowd that likes to defend crappy 'mechs apparently also can't take the time to actually read the thread.

And guess what? I pilot them fantastically, know their strengths and weaknesses inside and out, and for most other pilots, it takes a bit longer for them to do the same, which grants me a fair bit of survivability.

Not against anyone in a good 'mech, if their piloting skill is remotely close to yours. Seriously.

A few of my builds (so you can tell me how much of a moron I am):

Will do. Bolded parts mine.

AS7-D-DC:

2 ASRM4 Standard SRMs aim entirely different than every weapon you have.
1 ER LL ER LL are terrible, and have zero synergy with the UAC/5 OR ER PPC.
1 ER PPC A great weapon but mismatched with everything on the 'mech.
2 UAC/5 A good weapon, but again, mismatched horribly with the 'mech.

STK-3F:

2 ML Mediums are a decent enough gun and do work well with the other lasers... if the other lasers weren't awful.
2 LPL Horrendous guns that got nerf'ed. They are inferior in every way to other energy weapons at present.
4 SSRM2 These are a good choice, they work well with everything.
2 ER LL I just covered this. Combined with the LPL, this 'mech is either going to run WAY too hot, or only use half it's firepower at any given time. Both suck.

BJ-3:

4 SL Eh, this one is OK. Not the best, perhaps, but solid enough.
2 LL

CPLT-C1F:

3 LPL As I just covered, these weapons were "normalized" and taken from being subpar to gutter trash. The heat of the PPC with no range and no notable advantages.
2 ALRM10 2 LRM10s won't even crack AMS with more than a couple missiles. You would be far better off switching the LPL to large and upping the 10s to 15s if you insist on running LRMs right now, in addition to adding a TAG.

I could go on with my random builds, but suffice it to say, I've played 'competitively', been relatively successful,

With those builds? I have no idea what you are counting as competitive but I assure you it was not. Holy crap.

and done the same pugging. It most definitely isn't the build, it's the pilot's understanding of their war machine. I have synergy with MY build, and it serves me just as well as any 'hardcore' player in his 3 PPC & Gauss build.

Absolutely not. Any player of even remotely similar piloting skill in a current meta build would probably be able to single handedly destroy ALL your builds, in order, on one life. They are horrendous and among the very worst examples of why I created this thread. Except your Blackjack. That's passable.

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 01 July 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

20 K/D in a Catapult-K3. 0 Deaths. Beat that record.

I've had 80:1 KDR at numerous times in this game. I've stopped bothering with KDR because I, well, have had to suicide a whole bunch to setup league matches. And pugging. In a pug, if your team dies, you're pretty much dead so you are bound to die. If I stuck exclusively to 4 mans, it would remain much higher, as well.

That said.. 20 kills means nothing except that you started out in a low Heavy ELO bracket and are gunning your way through it. Plus.. what's on your K2? I mean... K2s can be alright and all, so I don't know why you're trying to get into an e-peen waving contest over kills. 20 kills is literally barely the start of using a chassis. That's like, what? 5 matches? Most of my mechs literally have hundreds of kills.

Edited by Victor Morson, 01 July 2013 - 06:53 AM.

#75 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:52 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 01 July 2013 - 06:47 AM, said:

That said.. 20 kills means nothing except that you started out in a low Heavy ELO bracket and are gunning your way through it. Plus.. what's on your K2? I mean... K2s can be alright and all, so I don't know why you're trying to get into an e-peen waving contest over kills. 20 kills is literally barely the start of using a chassis. That's like, what? 5 matches?

What's my K3? I don't know, go look at a Record Sheet and find out. A low ELO Bracket huh? K. If there was an achievement, I won it with the K3 Challenge Mode Edition.

Synnergy is for DoTA Bruh.

I cast Missile Magic! 2 Targets! 300 Damage! Cast Stun for 3 Seconds! M-m-m-m-monster kill.

The only thing we agree with is that LB 10-X and SRMs are bad basically.

Edited by General Taskeen, 01 July 2013 - 06:57 AM.

#76 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:55 AM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 01 July 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

What's my K3? I don't know, go look at a Record Sheet and find out. A low ELO Bracket huh? K. If there was an achievement, I won it with the K3 Challenge Mode Edition.

2 ER PPCs and Medium Lasers is.. OK, honestly. It's an alright ridge humper due to the high mounted guns. I've seen a couple upper tier units use these in casual matches as experiments. I don't think I'd call it the best, but it's not horrendous.

I'm not even sure why we're talking about this. I said some TRO 'mechs are alright or require very little tweaking. The Awesome 9Q is pretty much about as good as you could get a 9Q out of the box, for example.

I'm also going to go ahead and assume you upgraded to Endo, so it's not a "true" K3. Probably upped the armor too, right?

Everyone likes to tout TRO 'mechs just because they share the same guns, so I'm curious.

EDIT 2: Oh, bahahaha, the K3 has machine guns yet? Yeah, no. If you won anything with this, it was purely off of the virtue of high mounted ER PPCs, which isn't exactly a high horse to be on right now.

Edited by Victor Morson, 01 July 2013 - 06:59 AM.

#77 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:58 AM

I think the jist of this thread has gotten off the rails, so I think at some point the OP should relax a little on the entire thing.

Having more than 3 different weapons on a mech is not really how a higher level player builds their mechs.. it's just counterproductive most of the time... because you have to use all of the weapons correctly AND effectively and pretty much more of the effort is spent trying to get it to work.

For most people, this is inefficient and doesn't really follow any principles of KISS (Keep It Simple Silly). It doesn't mean it can't work, but it's a general hindrance. I applaud you if you can make it work, but some people need to understand that boating for the most part is a result of trying to keep things simple and usually helps a lot in being a more productive mech on the field.

Also, for those of you that hate boating (particularly of the PPC/LRM variety), you have to realize that just because you want hardpoint restrictions of some sort (like, allowing for 2 meds in the absence of a PPC in a "big energy slot") you're still going to be boating something else essentially.. so you gotta understand part of your own argument that you are still going to boat.. just something less "OP" in your mind. That's not balance in the ultimate sense.

#78 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:00 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 01 July 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

2 ER PPCs and Medium Lasers is.. OK, honestly. It's an alright ridge humper due to the high mounted guns. I've seen a couple upper tier units use these in casual matches as experiments. I don't think I'd call it the best, but it's not horrendous.

I'm not even sure why we're talking about this. I said some TRO 'mechs are alright or require very little tweaking. The Awesome 9Q is pretty much about as good as you could get a 9Q out of the box, for example.

I'm also going to go ahead and assume you upgraded to Endo, so it's not a "true" K3. Probably upped the armor too, right?

Everyone likes to tout TRO 'mechs just because they share the same guns, so I'm curious.
EDIT 2: Oh, bahahaha, the K3 has machine guns yet? Yeah, no.

^Then I leave you to your Thread discussion. Good Luck Mech Warrior.

And yes there is MG's on the K3, however I never use them, I already know MG's are a waste of time, and they need to be balanced better. All the kills with were 20 DHS's boated 2xER PPC and the ML's. And the K3 I have is an exact duplicate, cuz I was bored of my super-optimized easy-mode heavy mechs, no endo, no upped armor.

Edited by General Taskeen, 01 July 2013 - 07:01 AM.

#79 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:03 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 01 July 2013 - 06:58 AM, said:

I think the jist of this thread has gotten off the rails, so I think at some point the OP should relax a little on the entire thing.

If this thread educates even one person as to why we look down on Frakenmechs, I am satisfied it has had a positive effect.

Having more than 3 different weapons on a mech is not really how a higher level player builds their mechs.. it's just counterproductive most of the time... because you have to use all of the weapons correctly AND effectively and pretty much more of the effort is spent trying to get it to work.

I'd argue that's not true. You can run, say, Streaks, Gauss, PPC and MLs on the same 'mech with decent results. It's about which guns work well with each other, more than anything. The closer you get to 1 group, the easier it is to do, however.

3 groups is a good general rule, though, as a ceiling.

For most people, this is inefficient and doesn't really follow any principles of KISS (Keep It Simple Silly). It doesn't mean it can't work, but it's a general hindrance. I applaud you if you can make it work, but some people need to understand that boating for the most part is a result of trying to keep things simple and usually helps a lot in being a more productive mech on the field.

Also, for those of you that hate boating (particularly of the PPC/LRM variety), you have to realize that just because you want hardpoint restrictions of some sort (like, allowing for 2 meds in the absence of a PPC in a "big energy slot") you're still going to be boating something else essentially.. so you gotta understand part of your own argument that you are still going to boat.. just something less "OP" in your mind. That's not balance in the ultimate sense.

Yep. This is all very true.

And again I'm all for increasing the bum guns and also focusing on making more guns work with each other, for more diverse builds. I keep saying it, but it seems like 99% of the people who rush to defend their Frakenbuilds aren't reading it (again and again).

I hope that we have more good guns that work well with each other in the future!

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 01 July 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

^Then I leave you to your Thread discussion. Good Luck Mech Warrior.

And yes there is MG's on the K3, however I never use them, I already know MG's are a waste of time, and they need to be balanced better. All the kills with were 20 DHS's boated 2xER PPC and the ML's. And the K3 I have is an exact duplicate, cuz I was bored of my super-optimized easy-mode heavy mechs, no endo, no upped armor.

That would be a fun one to play in some sort of stock League, but yeah, even you are admitting you've gimped your 'mech horribly. I don't know what more there is to say, indeed.

#80 Stat1cVoiD

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

Very good thread.

It analyzes the current weapon handling in a straight and logical manner.

This is basically the same stuff I tell to new corp-mates if they are not sure how to fit their mechs and are starting to add tons of different weapons.

On the other hand, it shows one of the core problems with MW:O's balancing right now:
The more weapons you mix, the harder will your Mech suck.

And the clear superiority of high Alpha builds over DPS builds, regarding Torso-Twisting (resp. survivability) and focussed damage.

Both leads to a metagame where people on my ELO are stacking up on PPCs, AC/20 and Gauss', turing most games into either a "One-Shot"- or Campfest.
This is already going on for nearly 2 months now and altough there are TONS of different ways to fix those problems being discussed on the forums, PGI doesn't seem to care at all.

The worst thing however are the fanb0ys, who doesn't want to see those obvious design flaws and are starting to flame persons like you, who are doing nothing but pointing them out.

If I play a game for over a month regularly, I want to play it competetive. So i will use the Mechs and weapons which yield the best results for me.
There is no code of honor, how to fit your mech and what is a no-no.

Because if I don't go full PPC, I will fall victim to those who do.

So don't blame the players, blame the devs, who are obviously not able to do a good job in balancing weapons, gameplay and maps but are currently trying to sell you stuff for Oct 15.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users