49 replies to this topic

#21 macmerritt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:22 PM

When I drank and could afford it, its was always Macallan 12 year old Single Malt.

Still love it but with kids I cant afford it expect a fresh bottle for my birthday.

#22 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

Whiskey, beer, wine, and cigars will be alive and well in my gaming room when my friends and I drop in lances after July 17th. If you're in the LA area and want to smoke a cigar hit me up!
Edited to add: And I'm sure at least one of my friends will have some damn fine scotch to add to the mix.

Edited by Aym, 11 June 2012 - 01:31 PM.

#23 GaussDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

View PostVasces Diablo, on 11 June 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

Laphorig is the way to go.

I assume you mean Laphroaig?

I'm not a huge Scotch drinker but my mom has a fairly robust palette when it comes to Scotch (she used to work for Hennessey Cognac way back // Yes, I know Cognac isn't Scotch). Every Christmas I get her Scotch. This year it was Glenmorangie and before that it has been Dalwhinnie, Lagavulin, Glenlivit and I can't remember the rest. My maternal grandfather is a Glendronach fan (a humourous Glendronach banner hangs in the washroom at their place) and on the other side it was pretty much any Scotch but I think he had Glenfiddich more often than any other.

#24 Robby Vitriolic

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationCate's Hold, Magistracy of Canopis

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

Caol Ila

#25 Wolvenhaven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 219 posts
  • LocationGA, USA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

Glenmorangie Cellar 13. I was really sad when they stopped making it.

#26 Captain Miller

• PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

Personally, I'm more of a Schnapps kind of guy, particularly cinnamon, but its pretty expensive. So, if not schnapps, then whiskey, or Bacardi gold rum with Sprite.

#27 Bindusara

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAustin, Tx

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:57 AM

I love most single malts 12+ years but if I ever get the chance I'd rather have a scotch that is old enough to order its own scotch.

#28 sgt coloncrunch

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationPrinceton, WV USA

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:11 AM

Honestly I wouldn't know, my old ladies sister tried to get me plastered on a dare years ago, and I did fine.

Fast forward a couple years, and I've noticed I've an allergic reaction to certain alcohols, so I've avoided drinking experimentally.

Shame, I enjoy me some good spiced rum, and I've had enjoyed finding out if and what type of scotch I'd enjoy.

Edited by sgt coloncrunch, 13 June 2012 - 04:12 AM.

#29 Steelo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 228 posts
  • LocationGuelph/On

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:12 AM

100% a highland park man myself, its the nector of scotches so viscous with a honey smoke finish that just warms all the way down.

#30 Solarflux

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationDeventer, Netherlands

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:13 AM

I really enjoy the Oban 14 year old or the distillers edition which you can get at the Oban brewery itself. I also enjoy the Glenkinchie 12 year old.

#31 Barbaric Soul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:14 AM

Never been much of a scotch fan, more of a canadian whisky guy myself. However, this is my current sipping drink- http://www.gayot.com...ey-liqueur.html

Throw it in the freezer for a few hours til it's ice cold, gather the friends, light the bonfire, and pass the bottle around. GOOD TIMES.

#32 Gouty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:15 AM

View PostFirefly, on 10 June 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

Talisker or GTFO.

^This.

I like the Islay and Island whiskies, smokey peatyness is awesome. Talisker is by far my favorite, I went to the distillery a few years back and spent faaar too much moneys, but got some really good and unusual releases, some you could only buy from them. So I definitely recommend that. The 12yr used to be the youngest they did, and was good, now it's really hard to find them and the youngest they do is 10yr. 18yr is gorgeous, but a little pricey.

I recently bought my first flat, and I had always said that the first thing I would buy for it would be a drinks cabinet, I currently have: Bowmore 18yr Old cask strength, Laphroaig Quarter Cask (non-chill filtered), Jura Superstition, Glenfiddich 12 and 15yr Old, Glenlivet Nadurra 16yr old non-chill filtered, and Talisker 10yr Old. Hoping to get some more for christmas,

Definitely shell out for a single malt (from one distillery) there is so much variety. If you have to buy a blend (from multiple distilleries) go for VAT69 or Monkeys Shoulder.

Also, note Whisky = Scottish/English
Whiskey = Irish/American

Although I spent some time in Texas this year, and I'm slowly coming around to some American Whiskeys.

#33 NoZaku4U

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationThe Citadel, Pacifica

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:22 AM

Am currently nursing a bottle of Balvine 12yr old "Double Wood". It spends the end of it's aging in sherry oak, gives it a fantastic smoothness.
When that is done, there is a bottle of the Cardhu waiting in the wings.

#34 Warpig Conners

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 18 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:34 AM

I love my scotch and cigars. I partake in both pretty much every night. Lately I've enjoyed sipping the Dalmore Gran Reserve. It has a much darker color than most scotches, thanks to the bourbon barrels it is aged in. My cigar of choice is the Perdomo Habano with a nice dark Maduro wrapper. The toro is about a 54 ring gauge, which allows ample amounts of smkoey goodness...

#35 acheronlv426

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:57 AM

I drink Glenlivet, only the 12 year though since I'm on a budget. Worst I've ever had was some swill called Scorsby I think it was. Vilest crap that ever crossed my lips.

#36 Arthwys IronHand

• PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:05 AM

Islay, Speyside, Highland, Oban is nice. My personal favourite is still Lagavulin 16. I've been enjoying the Stronachie 18 for the last couple of years as well. Glenrothes are another house of singlemalts I would suggest.

Edited by Arthwys IronHand, 13 June 2012 - 05:05 AM.

#37 Dovoid

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:07 AM

laphroaig is my drink of choice.

#38 Shootanoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 248 posts
  • Locationin a Jenner right behind you

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:25 AM

I love scotch. Most of them are so brilliant that it seems very hard to name favourites, but I like especially

Highland Park 18 yo
Glenfiddich 15 yo
Brughladdich (all of them)
Talisker 10 yo
Laphroiag, of course also

Of the blended ones, you can pretty well take a dram of Johnnie Walker Gold Label or Dimple 15 yo - but most of the other blended whiskys are better served with lots of tea

#39 Skymech

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

Glenfarclas and Talisker are my two favourites, but I also have The Dalmore, Dalwhinnie, and Auchentoshan on my shelf.

For anyone interested in starting out, Glenfiddich and Glenlivit are good places to start. For the love of god, even if you're on a budget, stay away from Jura.

#40 SkipP

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

My personal favorite is Bunnahabhain. If you're willing to spend a bit more, it's a fantastic Islay scotch. Smooth, not too smokey or abrasive. Fantastic finish.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users