14 replies to this topic

#1 L4utaro

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 11 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArgentina

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:04 AM

Hello guys! i've made a little research but i didn't come whit nothing in particular...ah! and please, excuse my bad english!

i've playing around for a few month, and i've never checked my PC's performance on this game.. so I decided to activate the FPS counter. I've got an Nvidia GTX 460 768MB, and I'm successfully running MW on Full HD all maxed out @35fps in the worst cases... so i've decided to lower down some graphics and step down the resolution so i could see the action on a higher FPS count.. but this is what happened
while setting everything from Very high to Very low, i've noticed that the FPSs ..fell! iv'e got 15fps on allmost all the maps, and was imposible to play, same whit any resolution! so i setted back everything to Very high and got a continus 50~60fps whit a lesser resolution than Full HD, I think this is 'cause the little 768MB of Video ram..

so the game looks better and smoother, any ideas why this occurs?? note that i've set the graphics BEFORE entring a game

Edited by L4utaro, 02 July 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#2 Badconduct

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 364 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

What is your processor? Sounds like your processor is the bottleneck, not the GPU

#3 L4utaro

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 11 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

well.. i've discarded it right away... here's my full spec

Asus P8z68-v Pro
Intel Core i5 2500k @4Ghz
MSI Cyclone GTX 460 768MB @850mhz 2000mhz
8GB Ram DDR3 1600mhz CL9 kingston
like 6 HDD, root is runing on a RAID0 2x320GB, wich is the caché and where MW:O is installed...

basically its a bunch of junk put together as something decent, there's no isue on PSU Wattage, OC stabily, etc. I've been running this spec for like 2 years and only got some heat issue on hot days... but now its winter here.

the wierd thing is I get decent 50FPS on a Very high setup but only 15fps running a Very low one, and I cant explain why. Maybe there's some issue with the cache or something, note that i dont reboot very often (actually, never)... if rebooting solves the problem I think this is relevant for the game developers... what do you think

Edited by L4utaro, 02 July 2013 - 07:14 AM.

#4 Badconduct

Dezgra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 364 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

hmm
did you change the resolution or just the settings?

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

On the settings, previously shadows would cause a major issue if reduced to minimum. The game would think it was running at max.

You could try each setting and test in Testing grounds.

#6 I am myLoves_Discarded

• PipPip
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • 21 posts
  • LocationAn Undiscovered SLDF Battlemech Research Station Amongst the Stars of the Hansa

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

"i've noticed that the FPSs ..fell! iv'e got 15fps on allmost all the maps, and was imposible to play,"

I have had similar problems but from a different cause.
For the longest time I was running a GTX 260, now I know computers (not everything, but I can sometimes intuit a lot on the fly), had owned the card since late '08 or first half of '09. I blew it out regularly to fight the dust; reapplied thermal every 4-6 months; blah, blah, anyway. Stock clock being 626 Mhz for my particular SKU, I had overclocked it past 766Mhz in the beginning. First part of this year, I noticed that I couldn't, for the life of me, get it stable at 666 Mhz. Knowing that to be a bad sign, I invested in a new card but tried to figure out what was happening. I assumed terminal electromigration. Got my new card, got familiar with it, knew I had other cards for backup, and a MWO buddy of mine was gaming on a "GTS 150"(!???!!). I knew the original clocks were set at 576 Mhz so I figured he could downclock my card and get mebbe a year or two more life (he got kids so money is tight, and I wanted the guy covering my *** to be seeing at 25+FPS rather than his 12-18FPS. During this time I noticed thru EVGA's Precision that during an overclock test, I would be at my settings for 5-10 minutes when all of the sudden the OSD would report my core clock would drop to 400 Mhz with corresponding decreases shown for the shader and memory clocks as well.
Long (really long) story short- I was not as thorough as I imagined. There was a buildup in one spot that after 3 years was seriously affecting airflow. I ONLY found this out thru Precision's real-time display of the actual settings used, as well as taking it completely apart. Every screw came out. I didnt know if my MWO buddy knew how or had the time, so I did a Limousine class detailing job on it.

How this relates to you. Try finding out if your FPS drops are for some reason due to the card going to "2D mode" which saves energy and heat, but you REALLY notice if it does it in-game. I bet it might OC back up to more than 726 Mhz, now. My friend might try.
HTH, l8r on ,ave

#7 Guardian00

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 59 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

Without stress, the hardware enter in lazy mode. These affect both AMD and Nvidia.
Some features of the card are off because the game do not requesting it, in low mode the GPU do not work at 100% causing a low fps.

Toplevelpot say the true:

View PostToplevelpot, on 03 July 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

How this relates to you. Try finding out if your FPS drops are for some reason due to the card going to "2D mode" which saves energy and heat...
HTH, l8r on ,ave

Edited by Guardian00, 03 July 2013 - 08:59 AM.

#8 L4utaro

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 11 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

View PostToplevelpot, on 03 July 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

"i've noticed that the FPSs ..fell! iv'e got 15fps on allmost all the maps, and was imposible to play,"

I have had similar problems but from a different cause.
For the longest time I was running a GTX 260, now I know computers (not everything, but I can sometimes intuit a lot on the fly), had owned the card since late '08 or first half of '09. I blew it out regularly to fight the dust; reapplied thermal every 4-6 months; blah, blah, anyway. Stock clock being 626 Mhz for my particular SKU, I had overclocked it past 766Mhz in the beginning. First part of this year, I noticed that I couldn't, for the life of me, get it stable at 666 Mhz. Knowing that to be a bad sign, I invested in a new card but tried to figure out what was happening. I assumed terminal electromigration. Got my new card, got familiar with it, knew I had other cards for backup, and a MWO buddy of mine was gaming on a "GTS 150"(!???!!). I knew the original clocks were set at 576 Mhz so I figured he could downclock my card and get mebbe a year or two more life (he got kids so money is tight, and I wanted the guy covering my *** to be seeing at 25+FPS rather than his 12-18FPS. During this time I noticed thru EVGA's Precision that during an overclock test, I would be at my settings for 5-10 minutes when all of the sudden the OSD would report my core clock would drop to 400 Mhz with corresponding decreases shown for the shader and memory clocks as well.
Long (really long) story short- I was not as thorough as I imagined. There was a buildup in one spot that after 3 years was seriously affecting airflow. I ONLY found this out thru Precision's real-time display of the actual settings used, as well as taking it completely apart. Every screw came out. I didnt know if my MWO buddy knew how or had the time, so I did a Limousine class detailing job on it.

How this relates to you. Try finding out if your FPS drops are for some reason due to the card going to "2D mode" which saves energy and heat, but you REALLY notice if it does it in-game. I bet it might OC back up to more than 726 Mhz, now. My friend might try.
HTH, l8r on ,ave

so... you just bought a new card because of performance drop, while it just was a thermal issue??

anyway, i´ve tryied 4 different setups:
  • 1080p maxed out -> 35fps
  • 1600x800 maxed out ->50fps
  • 1600x800 very low .->20fps
  • 1080p very low ->15fps
ovbiously i would rather use any res with everything on "very high" just for better performance... so, why actualy exist a lower graphics quality if i cant have a performance improvement?

i'll do a deeper research... but have had any of you tryied lowering graphics and comparing performance?

#9 Guardian00

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 59 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

Lower setting are focused for low-performance GPU.

View PostL4utaro, on 03 July 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

ovbiously i would rather use any res with everything on "very high" just for better performance... so, why actualy exist a lower graphics quality if i cant have a performance improvement?

i'll do a deeper research... but have had any of you tryied lowering graphics and comparing performance?

#10 L4utaro

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 11 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:11 AM

View PostGuardian00, on 03 July 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

Lower setting are focused for low-performance GPU.

have you read any of this thread? i got lower performance with lower settings. that's the whole point

#11 Guardian00

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 59 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:34 AM

Your MSI Cyclone GTX 460 768MB @850mhz 2000mhz is not a low performance GPU it's a medium-high (low, medium, high and very high). That make you have problems in low settings. Your GPU could be better whit at least a 1GB of VRAM

Remember: in low mode the GPU do not work at 100%, droping your frames. A low power card will run at "full power" with the game in the lowest settings.

You can ask to http://www.howtogeek.com/ or http://www.tomshardware.com/ for a better answer. Estos dias de desvelo jugando MWO impiden que mi cerebro piense en inglés apropiadamente, debido a eso, no puedo darte la la explicación técnica. :D

Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart:
http://www.tomshardw...iew,3107-7.html

View PostL4utaro, on 05 July 2013 - 05:11 AM, said:

have you read any of this thread? i got lower performance with lower settings. that's the whole point

#12 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

Wouldn't the issue be that Nvidia settings is set to Adaptive instead of Performance? I keep forgetting about that setting in the Nvidia software.

Power Management Mode: Available only for the GeForce 9 series and above, this feature makes use of these graphics cards' abilities to support different performance levels depending on how much power is required by a 3D application. The available options here are Adaptive and 'Prefer Maximum Performance'. Adaptive is the default, and when chosen the graphics card automatically steps down in clock speed in 3D applications if they are not drawing much GPU power. Adaptive is the recommended setting for all users because it ensures that the GPU steps down its clock speed and hence power usage when it is not required.

In 3D gaming the Adaptive setting should not cause any problems, as the GPU will always run at full speed when required without interruption. Typically only very old games and very basic 3D applications may see the graphics card reduce its power, and even then this may be desirable. However if you are concerned that a game is not performing properly, particularly for troubleshooting purposes, then you can change this setting to 'Prefer Maximum Performance' to ensure that the card is always running at maximum clock speed. Remember that this setting only relates to 3D applications and games, not to the Windows Desktop for example.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 05 July 2013 - 08:33 AM.

#13 Rumble Chicken

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

Each time you make changes .... bare with me here. copies of old settings remain in the registy and when restarted or sleep or also another change the system may not see the completed newer or newest setting and in this the system will mesh old and new together. many times when large changes are being made the best thing to do is remove old drivers and then reinstall them in a sense removing thee history... walaaa

Edited by marcos6, 05 July 2013 - 07:50 PM.

#14 kesuga7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

Man i really hope pgi actually changes it so low settings give you better performance regardless of gpu strength

right now its sideways backwards

but i suppose it is up to the user to expirement to see what setting(s) work best :s

Edited by kesuga7, 05 July 2013 - 08:16 PM.

#15 Rumble Chicken

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

my catalyst is maxed,2x 2g radeons not overclocked in crossfire or not, bulldozer oc'd or not still have max fps settings high. I do not flip settings back and forth on and off surely you will get hiccups maybe heartburn

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users