#61 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

The Warrior Trilogy, by Michael A. Stackpole, is about the events before and during the Fourth Succession War. The main acts are the wedding of Hanse Davion and Melissa Steiner, the experiences of Justin Xiang on Solaris VII and as spy on Sian, the vendetta between Morgan Kell and Yorinaga Kurita, the machinations of Michael Hasek-Davion and of subversive elements inside the Steiner nobility, ComStar's secret manipulations and of course the most important battles of the war. You can also look here for a list of BattleTech Novels.

#62 shuboy

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

View PostIgorius, on 09 June 2012 - 08:47 PM, said:

Wolves on the Border by Robert N. Charette, hands down. I've been reading BattleTech novels for a long time, and there are a bunch of great ones out there. Simply put though, this one takes the cake. Jaimie Wolf is the man, and Minobu Tetsuhara is the best character ever written in the BattleTech universe.

Seriously, even if you don't get around to it right away, this is one book not to miss.

This is still my favorite of the novels. Charette wisely kept the spotlight on Minobu and Jaime's friendship which forms the emotional core of the story. And if you happen to read the novel now, there's a great bit of foreshadowing that shows how FASA was already planning ahead.

#63 Victor Kell

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

Stackpole's 3 book series with Phelan Kell

Thurstan's Jade Phoenix 3 book series

The 3 book series on the creation of the Gray Death Legion

All the others of these had books later on that dealt with the same characters that were also good.

#64 Tomtricity

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

Yep, The list Skylarr posted. I re-read those books every 4 or 5 years.

#65 Max Payne1

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAlberta+Canada

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

For me the first Battletech book i ever read was the first part of the "twilight of the clans" series...

"Exodus Road"

Absolutely amazing story of a clan jaguar mechwarrior fighting for what he believes is the true path of the jaguars, but realizes how astray there beliefs have taken them.. and defects to the innersphere. read at least a hundred times! lol

** as a side note ive also been trying my hardest to find trent as a mech warrior pilot card in the battletech card game.. really hard find!

#66 Warriator

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationHemet, CA

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

I still havea bunch of the original paperbacks. i remember only one book that was dumb "Far Country". have to dig them back out to read again and 'kindle' the ones i dont have.

Edited by Warriator, 02 September 2012 - 07:57 PM.

#67 Mad Adam

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

Twiight of the Clans in its entirety, and anything written by Micheal A. Stackpole. However, any you can get your hands on you should read, as I haven't read one I didn't like, and they are getting hard to find (in Australia anyway.)

#68 Lima Zulu

Russian Community Champion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:30 AM

Warrior trilogy, Blood of Kerensky trilogy, Twilight of Clans, Capellan Solution dilogy. Nice complete storyline for me. And of course Ideal War.

#69 Mad Mortigan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • 115 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

Twilight of the Clans series

#70 Waffles

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:44 PM

Its all been said before, but start at the beginning and read them all! Yes, even Far County (not a great BT novel, but a good read none the less). Lots of different authors and lots of different styles.

#71 rainwalkers

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:05 AM

Any Book from Battletech that I can get my hands on is good :P

I loved the Wolves on the Border and Wolfpack. The only books I would not read again are Gray Death trilogy (except for the first book) or that book about being lost from a jump (far country I think)

#72 KeeperVS

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

Wish they'd put some more of these on Kindle. Especially the Warrior series and Gray Death Legion series. I want to start at the beginning but it's hard to.

#73 pauls691

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

If you search on wikipedia you can find a fairly accurate list of every novel realeased, both english and german series. i have no idea if the german novels are just differnet titles or if they are completly different stories because I can't read german. If they are different stories, then I wish I could find english versions.

I think I own just about half of the Classic Battletech novels and all of the Dark Age novels. The classic battletech novels are a much better read in my opinion.

#74 Lucid Interval

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

Great thread, just what I was looking for. Thanks!

#75 CitizenDick

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 38 posts
  • LocationApopka, Fl

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

View PostKeeperVS, on 01 October 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

Wish they'd put some more of these on Kindle. Especially the Warrior series and Gray Death Legion series. I want to start at the beginning but it's hard to.

If you can get a hold of them in any format,use a free converter for the kindle. I did that with mine. No pretty covers(with a text conversion),but the books are intact and very readable.
I agree to all the suggestions in this thread as well(loving the grey death legion books),but i just finished FAR COUNTRY and to my surprise it was very good....And IDEAL WAR was great as well...

#76 Velete

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

Aside from the already well recommended main-series books:

Test of Vengeance : My favourite of the 'self contained oneshot' books !

Centered around a Ghost Bear elementals rise through his ranks while tangling with kurita and clan Hells Horses : all told from a mostly infantry(elemtental) battlefield level with tons of vehicle action.

Nice change from the mech jousting

#77 Operant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

None, go read a real book.

#78 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

Heir to the Dragon and both Capellan Solution-novels are the best in my opinion.

#79 PlzDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 456 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

[Redacted]
To the spelling and grammar ****'s if there are mistakes in this post hold fire I had a couple of beers before writing this.

Edited by Egomane, 14 June 2013 - 09:08 AM.
CoC violation

#80 Tethyss

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

"Wolves on the Border" was my favorite but the others are very good too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users