[Suggestion] Improving Lbx Cluster Rounds

No replies to this topic

#1 skullman86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

Right now cluster rounds are represented by buckshot, and it seems like there is some debate as to how PGI should go about balancing the LBX because of it. I think I may have a solution.

Spoiler

The LBX is supposed to have a higher effective range than the AC/10, and it's pretty clear that it doesn't because buckshot loses accuracy over long ranges. The LBX cluster rounds should contain timed detonators in them, allowing them to explode at predetermined times (like anti aircraft munitions), but I realize coding that might be tricky.

My suggestion is to apply a splash mechanic (similar to those on missile systems) to LBX munitions to give them their spread damage. With a single shell, users would be able to take advantage of the gun's higher effective range because it wouldn't be firing a cone of pellets anymore. Once the shell impacts the target, the splash damage would kick in to simulate the effects of the cluster round fragments.

At shorter ranges, the splash would be small with more concentrated damage, while longer ranges would be given higher splash areas with lower concentrated damage. It would make the weapon system more reliable at longer ranges and it would give PGI direct control over the spread values, making it easier to balance the whole range of calibers if they decided to add them.

Edited by skullman86, 04 July 2013 - 09:03 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users