Name one weapon from later in the timeline you want.

148 replies to this topic

#121 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:25 AM

Heavy gauss I'm ok with, most of that other fluff that comes later not so much

#122 Eviscerator

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

Waiting on Artemis and Streaks.

#123 Tombe0

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:35 AM

Well... It's essentially one weapon even while it's in 2 parts: NARC + Arrow IV Missiles, say hello to MAMA!

#124 Kithmar

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 32 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

I liked the light gauss

#125 Vollstrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

I'm a fan of MRMs. When you absolutely need to bombard someone with a flood of missiles, nothing gets the job done better.

#126 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

View Post514yer, on 11 June 2012 - 09:44 AM, said:

What all did they add that was non canon? I havent played in a while

Let's see. Inferno LRM racks, heavy Inferno rocket launchers, heavy rocket launchers, making the Thunderbolt into an Arrow IV system, artillery beacons, Clantech light PPC's (and variants therein), large continous beam lasers, mucking with plasma cannons so the Clan versions deal damage, assault lasers, mini Gauss (no, it's not the AP Gauss or Magshot), railguns, Clan RAC/20's and such as well.

And of course, even some of the standard weapons don't really mesh with their BT origins, like the aforementioned plasma cannon.

#127 FinnMcKool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,600 posts
  • Locationunknown

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

I think in the end , after all is over , dont they end up using just sticks and stones ?

#128 Striker1980

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, no where, somewhere, generally the utility room in my house in the UK.

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

View PostClay Pigeon, on 10 June 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

I know it is likely apocryphal to the dice rollers, but the rail gun from MW4.

Railgun was a stupid weapon to leave out as a standard 'mech weapon in canon, IMHO.

Infact it is one of the main points where I fall out with canon in a big way.
I could accept it being Lostech, I could even accept it being naval artillery only due to size.
But currently as best I can tell Sarna has no, zero, zip, nada, zilch references to Railguns which is just weird in my opinion.

(Is this a comstar thing? is there a huge Cache of railguns mounted on Behemoths on earth that were just so heavy they couldn't be bothered to lift them into orbit?)

Edited by Striker1980, 11 June 2012 - 01:53 PM.

#129 TheBillsta

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

View PostStriker1980, on 11 June 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

Railgun was a stupid weapon to leave out as a standard 'mech weapon in canon, IMHO.

Infact it is one of the main points where I fall out with canon in a big way.
I could accept it being Lostech, I could even accept it being naval artillery only due to size.
But currently as best I can tell Sarna has no, zero, zip, nada, zilch references to Railguns which is just weird in my opinion.

(Is this a comstar thing? is there a huge Cache of railguns mounted on Behemoths on earth that were just so heavy they couldn't be bothered to lift them into orbit?)

Gauss rifle? Not exactly a railgun, but but they rely on the same kind of propulsion

#130 Koshadows

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

after reading a few of the weapons that I didn't remember being in MW4, I think I finally realized that people are bringing in weapons from mektek packs. I'm almost certain the reloading rocket launchers and railguns are from the mektek community expansion rather than from any of the actual MW4 lineup. Which unfortunately means railgun wasn't ever part of battletech, at least from memory.

Main reason full railguns aren't used is mostly due to the gauss rifle like the above poster said. Only difference is the gauss rifle uses coilgun theory vs dual rails for the railgun.

#131 Striker1980

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationEverywhere, no where, somewhere, generally the utility room in my house in the UK.

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

View PostTheBillsta, on 11 June 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Gauss rifle? Not exactly a railgun, but but they rely on the same kind of propulsion

Not exactly, its electromagnetism but not the same.

One relies on magnetic propulsion/ attraction the other relies on electronic current.

In theory the end product should be similar but to the best of my knowledge the Railgun should be simpler and more efficient.

TBH rather than Heavy gauss rifles it would have been more logical for lyran scientists to have been developing lighter more effective weapons like the Railgun, Same basic effect, a lot more damage. (though potentially a lot more unreliable due to the rail failing like a lightbulb).

Meh its by the by really it just seems weird to me that they don't even deserve a mention.

Edited by Striker1980, 11 June 2012 - 02:31 PM.

#132 Blastcaps

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

Tbt with the later weapon systems the devs are going to have to look closely at them and decide if they should or shouldn't be added in terms of balance overall (maybe delay deploying them till a later date than originaly introduced timeline wise)

and fun is a scout, narc beacon and ARROW IV's :)

#133 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

View Postwanderer, on 11 June 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

Let's see. Inferno LRM racks, heavy Inferno rocket launchers, heavy rocket launchers, making the Thunderbolt into an Arrow IV system, artillery beacons, Clantech light PPC's (and variants therein), large continous beam lasers, mucking with plasma cannons so the Clan versions deal damage, assault lasers, mini Gauss (no, it's not the AP Gauss or Magshot), railguns, Clan RAC/20's and such as well.

And of course, even some of the standard weapons don't really mesh with their BT origins, like the aforementioned plasma cannon.

huh thats odd I dont really remember any of that except the thunderbolt
and theyre doing continuous beams here too

View PostKoshadows, on 11 June 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

after reading a few of the weapons that I didn't remember being in MW4, I think I finally realized that people are bringing in weapons from mektek packs. I'm almost certain the reloading rocket launchers and railguns are from the mektek community expansion rather than from any of the actual MW4 lineup. Which unfortunately means railgun wasn't ever part of battletech, at least from memory.

Main reason full railguns aren't used is mostly due to the gauss rifle like the above poster said. Only difference is the gauss rifle uses coilgun theory vs dual rails for the railgun.

Were mektek fan made or player made?
Cause if theyre player made you cant really call the original game foul for it

Edited by 514yer, 11 June 2012 - 02:36 PM.

#134 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

What weapon..?? The Red Ryder BB Gun with the Compass in the stock, and the thing which tells time..!!

#135 Melissia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

The MRM series.

#136 Striker1980

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

http://en.wikipedia....Tech_technology

Even weirder, the wikipedia page refers to Railguns as being an example of a plausable concept in Battletech? Who wrote that?

#137 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

A mysterious calamity collapsed the Hyperpulse Generator Network in August 3132, effectively ending practical interstellar communication over much of inhabited space. In the wake of the collapse, jumpships served as a kind of "pony express", ferrying messages from world to world.

Eh? Anyone know what that was?

#138 WardenWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

Clan energy weapons - specifically CERMLaser, CERLLaser, and CERPPC :) Oh, and clan-style double heatsinks to keep them cool ;)

#139 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

View PostStriker1980, on 11 June 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

http://en.wikipedia....Tech_technology

Even weirder, the wikipedia page refers to Railguns as being an example of a plausable concept in Battletech? Who wrote that?

• Machine guns, small projectile weapons with high rates of fire.
  • Gauss rifles, which use electromagnetic acceleration to project non-explosive metal slugs at extremely high speed.
  • Autocannons, the most common ballistic weapon, which are auto-loading and fire a variety of explosive rounds over short, medium or long ranges. Variants include the shotgun-like LBX, quick-firing Ultra, multi-barreled Rotary, long-range Hyper Velocity and Light. Calibers range from 20mm to 200mm.

thats all I see on ballistics

#140 Melissia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:49 PM

Gauss Rifles are railguns in the strictest sense Unless they're supposed to be coilguns, but somehow I doubt that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users