18 replies to this topic

#1 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:04 PM

I'm not here to name names, those of you who do this will know.

The consistent belittling, name calling, and downright intolerable behavior is at an all time high.

At NO point should anyone be telling people to uninstall the game or kill themselves over X build or playing style.

If you have reached this rage point for whatever reason its time to take a break. Just because the game/matchmaker is unbalanced to the point of frustration at times, venting in this manner is detrimental to the community as a whole.

Remember it is a game in the end!

#2 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

screen cap, send to mwo support (someone got the link?). Best mechanism we have at the moment to get people to take breaks.

#3 Staplebeater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

yeah just had one in the game I was in. Told me to uninstall myself from life cause I couldn't take down a heavy metal that still had armor in my dragon slayer that was wall already down to internals. Ok fine I missed some PPC shots but good grief stay calm and shoot mechs

#4 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,435 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

View PostLukoi, on 07 July 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

screen cap, send to mwo support (support@mwomercs.com someone got the link?). Best mechanism we have at the moment to get people to take breaks.

While I agree that may have some instant effect, I'm thinking more of a mind set adjustment rather then direct punishment, I'm sure half of the rage received was instigated by rage given at an earlier time of play.

Just need to let cooler heads prevail, everyone sucks at this game from match to match. If you are encouraged to try new mechs you should be allowed to fail too.

#5 Kibble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 539 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

you can blame PGI for the comunites lack of respect. It's like a bad parent and the child lashes out and does not play well with others.

#6 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

View PostAmsro, on 07 July 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

While I agree that may have some instant effect, I'm thinking more of a mind set adjustment rather then direct punishment, I'm sure half of the rage received was instigated by rage given at an earlier time of play.

Just need to let cooler heads prevail, everyone sucks at this game from match to match. If you are encouraged to try new mechs you should be allowed to fail too.

I think you misunderstand what I'm trying to get at here really. You are not going to peer-pressure internet ragers into acting within a set of cultural norms (like being a decent human being for example) simply by appealing to them to "calm down," via the forums.

People hide behind the anonymity the internet provides and MANY use that anonymity to act like jerks, regardless of what they wouldn't do in a million years face to face. Best way to handle that kind of behavior is with repercussions, not with appeals to someone's better nature on the internet. And the only repercussions in this game currently, are dished out via PGI.

So....screencap the commentary and send it up to support.

#7 -Muta-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 749 posts
  • Locationstill remains a mistery.

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

Little rage kids with not a successful life that find their only minute of fame in a game are the ones who rage.

Let them be losers hahahaha I lol at them all the time

#8 Navy Sixes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

Yeah, noob here. This is my first post, and it seems like a good place to get this off my chest...

So I'm figuring this game out, and in the process doing some pretty stupid things. To my credit I have never 1) shot anyone in the back at the initial drop point (Dude, I saw a Jenner standing next to me get its arm blown off by an Atlas behind us! Why would you even do that!?) and 2) I have never used the chat to berate other players or complain about whatever it was I think caused my team to lose (because chances are, it was at least in part my fault.)

I have read all kinds of derision in chat, but I'm a grown man and this is supposed to be war, right? I just don't think the people who drop this kind of noise realize how stupid they look.

So without naming names, if my inexperience caused you to lose one of the 138+ 8vs8 Assaults you played last night, I'm sorry. It's not like you had any kind of advice or strategy to offer during the match, just ugly remarks afterward. If it's any consolation, I'm getting better day by day, and look forward to thrashing you on the field soon enough.

I suck right now; I'm also a class act.
You won't always be the better Mechwarrior, but you'll always be a ********* (feminine hygene applicator).

Cheers!

#9 Thumper3

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 281 posts
  • LocationTemplar Headquarters

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

View PostTycho von Gagern, on 07 July 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

So without naming names, if my inexperience caused you to lose one of the 138+ 8vs8 Assaults you played last night, I'm sorry. It's not like you had any kind of advice or strategy to offer during the match, just ugly remarks afterward. If it's any consolation, I'm getting better day by day, and look forward to thrashing you on the field soon enough.

Dude!!?!! You totally got me killed and cost us the whole game last night on Alpine. What were you THINKING about running around in circles in the valley?

:D J/K

Seriously, I'd much rather have you dropping with me in a PUG match than any number or these rage chatters who yell about what we should be doing or how we should be playing as they run off and die miserably in their misguided "expertise" of the game. New players can always improve, internet trolls will always be trolls........

Ignore

Game on.......

#10 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:32 AM

Its well in my right to rage against a 6erppc stalker who wants to teach me how to play.

#11 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:49 AM

turn off ALL chat

Posted Image

#12 Lukoi Banacek

• 4,353 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

View PostMycrus, on 08 July 2013 - 06:49 AM, said:

turn off ALL chat

Wouldn't it be nice to have the ingame option to do that?!

#13 TheMagician

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 779 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:26 AM

Welcome to the world of online video games.

#14 MrMasakari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 387 posts
  • LocationThe Kerensky Cluster

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:46 AM

View PostAmsro, on 07 July 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

The consistent belittling, name calling, and downright intolerable behavior is at an all time high.

At NO point should anyone be telling people to uninstall the game or kill themselves over X build or playing style.

If you have reached this rage point for whatever reason its time to take a break. Just because the game/matchmaker is unbalanced to the point of frustration at times, venting in this manner is detrimental to the community as a whole.

Seyla. Some people don't remember this is a game but sadly you can't stop people being like that. Sometimes its best to just take it on the chin but when people start raging like lunatics and flaming for relatively pathetic reasons then you need to remind them, if not report them ^^

#15 RF Greywolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:49 AM

It does happen a lot unfortunately. Anymore I pretty much ignore anything that is not constructive to the game. Everyone makes mistakes at times, everyone has that "Bad Day" and everyone gets frustrated from time to time. You just got to soldier on. Games are made to have fun, it is truly sad that there are many that no longer play them for such...

Greywolf

#16 mistformsquirrel

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:38 AM

View PostKibble, on 07 July 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

you can blame PGI for the comunites lack of respect. It's like a bad parent and the child lashes out and does not play well with others.

Sadly this is not the case, this kind of asnine behavior exists in pretty much every online game I've played. World of Tanks was so bad about it that I actually got a mod to turn chat off. By comparison MWO has been downright tame, despite having seen some pretty awful behavior here.

It's just as bad in MMORPGs as well, or frankly even on forums that aren't heavily moderated.

Why people are like this? Who knows*. It's not a new phenomena though. I've been bumming around online games since Everquest, the wording of the insults changes, but the idiocy behind them? Same thing as always.

Ultiimately I feel the only real solution to this kind of thing is to impose consequences for it - make it easy to report and bring the hammer down hard on people who repeatedly abuse their fellow players. You can't force good behavior, but you can make bad behavior a very poor decision if you want to keep your game account.

It'd also help if people re-learned the concept of respecting another person insofar as they are in fact another person and are thus entitled to not be treated like utter crap, just by default.

I mean really, it's not hard to be polite, it costs nothing and generally speaking gives people a positive opinion of you compared to acting like a massive *****.

*One can make a lot of guesses as to why, but ultimately I suspect the reasons are as varied as the individual jerkbags. Some probably are just like this in RL, some are venting from a bad day, others have legitimate reasons for being upset but are dealing with it in an unhealthy fashion, some don't really quite understand that there are other human beings on the other end, etc...

#17 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:44 AM

View PostAmsro, on 07 July 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

I completely agree with you, its been going through the roof this month, this was a friendly game for the most part, until maybe middle of may, now the personal attacks are on the increase and the general name calling can't help but notice it comes at a time PGi trumpet the 1mil registered people.

Happend today, PGi do deal with people, if you can provide evidence, but sadly the only way to get solid evidence is to use a third party tool like fraps for the snapshot, because sadly ingame pictures are still not available two months from the alleged end of beta.

#18 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

View PostKibble, on 07 July 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

PGI must also be blamed for tornadoes, floods and cot death as well while your at it.. :)

None of this behaviour is in anyway the fault of P.G.I. certainly the parents of the child teenager or alleged adult that should have been brought up to know better.

Sadly gaming communities are volatile with a large proportion of people that have forgotten what sun feels like, or to talk to people face to face, and societies general inability to live aday without texting.

PvP generates the worse of those as its away of getting back at the guy who kicked the sand in face and can mouth off without fear of getting a slap, up until about a month and a half ago this community was extremely good and most people were able to agree on something even if they were at odds over other issues

Until middle of may I'd say that this game had the best community i've ever been part of PVP/PVE, first second/third person shooters..

But now its really starting to slide

#19 RF Greywolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:09 AM

View PostCathy, on 10 July 2013 - 05:56 AM, said:

PvP generates the worse of those as its away of getting back at the guy who kicked the sand in face and can mouth off without fear of getting a slap, up until about a month and a half ago this community was extremely good and most people were able to agree on something even if they were at odds over other issues

Until middle of may I'd say that this game had the best community i've ever been part of PVP/PVE, first second/third person shooters..

But now its really starting to slide

I have noticed that even on the forums it seems. I guess some people only feel good by putting others down and by blowing up their own ego. To them there is no such thing as humility and if someone gets the better of them it's because they cheated or everyone else sucks. I don't think anything will change that and it will probably get worse as the game grows... Saddening.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users