The Blackjack Builds Guide (Open)

116 replies to this topic

#41 kamikaziKAS

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:34 AM

My first mech was the BJ10 and the first thing I did was strip it and slap an AC20, AMS and MG on it. Turned out to be the best thing I could have done to it! It went from meh mech to true stompy bot greatness with a click of my mouse. Problem is that I cannot go anywhere without some backup as it is a glasscannon...

#42 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:09 AM

my BJ of choice, the Deer Hunter.

I went with the 1DC because I felt I didn't need jump jets for its intended role of long range support, and the extra ton of ammo it provides is always a good thing with a Gauss rifle. the 4 medium lasers are good backup against any lights that creep up on you, and they can strip the armour off a mech's back fairly easily, too. you could move two of the lasers into the arm slots, but I like to use the left arm as a damage soaker in sticky situations, so I'd rather keep the weapons in the torso.

an option would be to scrap one of the lasers for another ton of Gauss ammo, but so far, 30 per match has proved to be sufficient.

#43 BrokenDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMiddlesex(UK)

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:17 AM

Hawks BJ1-DC

6xML
2xMG, 1t ammo
DHS, ES
225 standard

I run this with a 230 standard and it does fine.
Watch what you do, where you do it, keep moving, keep firing and don't over heat!
I will not get rid of this!!!

#44 Drakari

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:01 PM

After the patche messed around with the Gauss... I started loving it. Don't have any idea what anybody else is complaining about.

I'm running this simple build and doing great. The Gauss rifle gives me a lot more range than any AC/20 build with far lower heat, and isn't really that much more difficult to use in brawling range.

#45 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:42 PM

View PostDrakari, on 06 September 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

After the patche messed around with the Gauss... I started loving it. Don't have any idea what anybody else is complaining about.

I'm running this simple build and doing great. The Gauss rifle gives me a lot more range than any AC/20 build with far lower heat, and isn't really that much more difficult to use in brawling range.

My complaint with the gauss is more of the nerf from 3.75dps to under 3.16dps than the firing mechanic. For me I'd rather just replace it with an LB10-X or AC10 which has a 4dps and with my build can be fired continuously without overheating. For long range harassing I feel a pair of AC5s is now better than a Gauss. 620 range is close enough to 660, an AC5 has a decent projectile velocity, and the AC5s only have a 1.5 second recycle so you can get more damage on a target if it's out in the open for more than a couple seconds.

For your build though, if you often finish your matches with over 10 rounds left in your gauss you might want to think about removing one ton of gauss ammo and adding a fourth medium laser.

#46 Imbuceal

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:55 AM

bj-1x
stock engine - 50mph
ferro ferbrous - full, -1 each leg
dbl sinks - 10
7x ML.
45 ton

#47 EILEAN DONAN

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

BJ-1
2xML, 1xLL, 1xUAC/5
XL225
4 JJ
12 DBH

Fast enough and a good mix of weapons. I guess it could be improved but i'm too n00b to know what i'm doing. LoL

#48 SeVen pH

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

I pilot the 1DC with 2 AC-2's in the arms and six Medium Lasers in the torso and arm hardpoints. 2 tons of AC-2 ammo, 11 double heat sinks, AMS with one ton of ammo, and the STD 180 engine that will soon be upgraded to an XL 200.

#49 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostRuccus, on 03 September 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

With the change to the Gauss Rifle my main build is pretty fubar, so I've been playing with some alternate builds.

This LB10-X build worked well for me; I had a 762 damage match in which during a conquest match in Terra Therma I was able to go toe-to-toe with an Atlas. The 225XL engine and jump jets allowed me to for the most part keep out of his main weapon crosshairs and the LB10-X got enough crits that in the end I'd destroyed all his weapons. I was able to stop, cool down, and use my medium lasers with impunity to finish him off.

This is more-or-less what I have, except that I don't have enough money to get the XL engine, so its a bit slow and less heat efficient :D

I replaced the medium lasers on the inside with small lasers for the ideal build, though. I can fit in another ton of LBX ammo that way, and I find that I'm not getting enough out of using 4 ML over just 2 MLs to justify the lack of heat efficiency, so the downgrade so far hasn't done much to harm me.

Edited by MarsAtlas, 13 September 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#50 Tilley

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

(OOC)
I have only purchased the BJ-1 but plan on getting the other two at a later date. My favorite loadout is as follows:

1 AC/20 w/28 rounds
3 Medium Lasers
1 Machine Gun
304 Armor
Endo-steel
10 Double Heatsinks
XL 210 from my Raven 3L

Best round so far was a 6 kill, 5 assist, 720ish dmg..

#51 RavensScar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:37 AM

What are people doing with the BJ-3 post PPC nerf?

I always ran it with std 200, 2 x ER PPC and 2 x MLas (just as a backup)

Took it out today for the first time post nerf, and it hits 50% heat after a single shot with both PPCs. Even moving to an XL200 with 4 extra DHS doesn't do enough to cool it down.

It used to be a pretty dangerous sniper, but now it runs far too hot. Any suggestions?

#52 ElementalFury

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

running 6 med lasers/ams atm with the BJ3. Join brawls late and core some backs.

#53 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:44 PM

View PostRavensScar, on 14 September 2013 - 01:37 AM, said:

Took it out today for the first time post nerf, and it hits 50% heat after a single shot with both PPCs. Even moving to an XL200 with 4 extra DHS doesn't do enough to cool it down.

It used to be a pretty dangerous sniper, but now it runs far too hot. Any suggestions?

Even after the PPC nerf I've still had success with my dual PPC build, though with a BJ-3 you'd replace the MGs and ammo with two SPLs. You just have to keep track of enemy distance and switch between the small lasers and PPCs depending on the magic 90m range.

My Quad MPL Build could also be modified for a BJ-3 (move the MPLs to the arms and replace the MGs and ammo with either more weaponry or a double heatsink and a 235 engine upgrade). It's a close up brawler build though, so it plays much differently than a PPC build.

#54 Whiteagle

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

How's my Blackjack 1DC?

#55 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:46 PM

View PostWhiteagle, on 17 September 2013 - 04:26 PM, said:

How's my Blackjack 1DC?

much too fragile and too slow to run in pew pewing with small lasers. you have too little ac/2 ammo to sustain long range suppression, too few medium-range weapons to make a difference as a flanker, and a too small engine to adjust engagement range at a reasonable rate.

if I may offer advice, the BJ chassis was made for XL engines. the CT hitbox is weird and from the front and sides, it's p. much a damage magnet. so go ahead and stick the biggest XL engine you can in it and profit. as to the weapon loadout, your ideal range of engagement should be medium to long, unless you're very confident about your piloting and situational awareness - in which case, you might consider running an ac/20 + 4ML build. otherwise, double ac/5 with 4 tons of ammo and either four small or two medium lasers for up close light deterrence and/or backstabbing would likely be the way to go.

#56 Jam the Bam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 12:29 AM

I absolutely love the BJ-1, don't think I've had less that 500dmg in a game recently.

Max engine, AC20 in arm, 2 med lasers in torso, 3 JJ's, double heat sink and 28 AC20 ammo.

Simple and effective.

#57 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:19 AM

View PostRavensScar, on 14 September 2013 - 01:37 AM, said:

I'm doing this, and it works out really well. BJ-3

#58 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:24 AM

How's my Blackjack 1DC?

Looks like it's fragile and runs very hot, and it appears you have Ferro armour instead of Endo steel structure. Endo Steel is better than Ferro because it saves more than a ton of weight more than Ferro for the same number of upgrade slots. This would be the BJ-1DC version of my BJ-1's AC2 build. You stand at a distance, find a good spot to sweep the battlefield, and use the AC2's range and projectile velocity to hit mechs from a point where it's difficult for them to effectively fire back at you. The XL225 engine allows you good mobility to quickly retreat and reset your sniping position if someone starts targeting you with a decent long range weapon (AC2s, ERLLs, ERPPCs, or a Gauss) and to get into the battle near the end when the pair of MLs are enough to help finish off damaged mechs. If budget is an issue try this build; if you can't afford to switch your ferro to endo you can drop a heatsink (or a ton of ammo) and a bit of armour to make the build fit.

View PostInflatable Fish, on 17 September 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

if I may offer advice, the BJ chassis was made for XL engines. the CT hitbox is weird and from the front and sides, it's p. much a damage magnet. so go ahead and stick the biggest XL engine you can in it and profit.

Yes, I find that while torso cores do happen so standard engines are still an option for pure brawlers, they don't happen as often in a Blackjack as in other mechs so a longer range loadout can use the XL's lighter weight to good advantage; in my BJ-1 when my XL engine goes boom it's more often because of a CT core rather than a side torso core.

View PostJammerben87, on 18 September 2013 - 12:29 AM, said:

I absolutely love the BJ-1, don't think I've had less that 500dmg in a game recently.

Max engine, AC20 in arm, 2 med lasers in torso, 3 JJ's, double heat sink and 28 AC20 ammo.

Simple and effective.

Yes, with the Gauss nerf I'm now often running an AC20 build similar to yours, though usually with 3 MLs and one JJ.

#59 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

How's my Blackjack 1DC?

Terrible, to be quite honest. Thats okay though, as long as you learn from your mistakes.

Here's lesson #1: Endo-Steel structure is always a better choice than Ferro-Fibrous armour. If you must pick between one of them, always pick Endo-Steel over FF armour, because you get more tonnage, and the armour is completely identical, just slightly lighter, so there's really no reason not to pick ES over FF. That being said, you can use both on some mechs and still be effective. And while we're at it, always put ES on your mech. I haven't seen a single build that doesn't. Best of all, ES is actually pretty cheap.

Lesson #2: You have too little armour in your arms. They're your main source of firepower, but the weakest part of the mech?

Lesson #3: Your small lasers are going to be useless. I run Small Lasers on my BJ-1, and I can use them well because its fast and has jump jets. Your Blackjack isn't fast enough for it though.

Lesson #4: Unless you're a light mech, keep more armour on the front-side of your torso than your backside. An Atlas won't be able to flank you - most mechs won't be able to flank a medium mech. However, I can see pretty much any Assault mech killing you with one Alpha, and the same can be said for some Heavy mechs too. I put about 3/4 of the torso armour on the front, about the remaining quarter on the back.
Lesson #5: The Beagle-Active Probe. They're use to counteract ECM, to extend radar range which allows you pick up mechs at a further radius if they're in your line of sight, and they help missiles lock on faster. You're not a scout mech, so the first is null, you're not a missile mech, so the third is void as well. The BAP can help you target weak spots on enemies up to 1000m instead of up to "just" 800m away, but I don't think that's good enough to justify its weight on your mech.

Here, I'll post a changed build of it. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c0b485d3681d6a0

I left the small lasers on, even though I think that might be a mistake. Its up for you to figure that out. Otherwise though, its a solid build for the blackjack.

Edited by MarsAtlas, 18 September 2013 - 04:49 PM.

#60 Whiteagle

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

much too fragile and too slow to run in pew pewing with small lasers. you have too little ac/2 ammo to sustain long range suppression, too few medium-range weapons to make a difference as a flanker, and a too small engine to adjust engagement range at a reasonable rate.

I don't suppress, I SNIPE!
Hence why the large number of lasers, I use those in the event I'm got something in my face, which allows me to save my AC/2 for plinking things at range.

if I may offer advice, the BJ chassis was made for XL engines. the CT hitbox is weird and from the front and sides, it's p. much a damage magnet. so go ahead and stick the biggest XL engine you can in it and profit. as to the weapon loadout, your ideal range of engagement should be medium to long, unless you're very confident about your piloting and situational awareness - in which case, you might consider running an ac/20 + 4ML build. otherwise, double ac/5 with 4 tons of ammo and either four small or two medium lasers for up close light deterrence and/or backstabbing would likely be the way to go.

Eh, I like the AC/2, it's got a 2000 meter max range and the shot is as fast as a Gauss Rifle.
Plus this is the 1DC, it's gives up Jumpjets for Energy slots and, DAMN IT, I'm going to USE them!

View PostRuccus, on 18 September 2013 - 05:24 AM, said:

Yes, I find that while torso cores do happen so standard engines are still an option for pure brawlers, they don't happen as often in a Blackjack as in other mechs so a longer range loadout can use the XL's lighter weight to good advantage; in my BJ-1 when my XL engine goes boom it's more often because of a CT core rather than a side torso core.

...I am however considering your advice on the Engine, since as of recently I've been dying of Center Torso Alpha's more than anything...

View PostMarsAtlas, on 18 September 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

Terrible, to be quite honest. Thats okay though, as long as you learn from your mistakes.

Here's lesson #1: Endo-Steel structure is always a better choice than Ferro-Fibrous armour. If you must pick between one of them, always pick Endo-Steel over FF armour, because you get more tonnage, and the armour is completely identical, just slightly lighter, so there's really no reason not to pick ES over FF. That being said, you can use both on some mechs and still be effective. And while we're at it, always put ES on your mech. I haven't seen a single build that doesn't. Best of all, ES is actually pretty cheap.

Well the 1DC was my first Mech...
I think I actually ran both for a while, but took off Endo because it wasn't saving me as much weight as the Ferro Armor AND both pretty much take up all of your slots...

Lesson #2: You have too little armour in your arms. They're your main source of firepower, but the weakest part of the mech?

Lesson #3: Your small lasers are going to be useless. I run Small Lasers on my BJ-1, and I can use them well because its fast and has jump jets. Your Blackjack isn't fast enough for it though.

Well this IS a 1DC, I started running it with 4 Medium Lasers on the Torso, using the arms as ablative armor if anything closed on me...

...Remember, first Mech and all...

Lesson #4: Unless you're a light mech, keep more armour on the front-side of your torso than your backside. An Atlas won't be able to flank you - most mechs won't be able to flank a medium mech. However, I can see pretty much any Assault mech killing you with one Alpha, and the same can be said for some Heavy mechs too. I put about 3/4 of the torso armour on the front, about the remaining quarter on the back.

Yeah, but when I started out I ended up getting flanked a lot by Lights, who cored me from behind because I wasn't aware of what was happening...

Lesson #5: The Beagle-Active Probe. They're use to counteract ECM, to extend radar range which allows you pick up mechs at a further radius if they're in your line of sight, and they help missiles lock on faster. You're not a scout mech, so the first is null, you're not a missile mech, so the third is void as well. The BAP can help you target weak spots on enemies up to 1000m instead of up to "just" 800m away, but I don't think that's good enough to justify its weight on your mech.

...Which is probably ALSO why I went with a Beagle, but you are right that it isn't quite neccesary for 1000m+ sniping...

Alright, all this taken into consideration, how does THIS revision look?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users