Why Legging wont work.

24 replies to this topic

#1 Broddr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

In other MechWarrior games you could Alpha the legs and immobilizing the mech or destroying it. I created this post becuase im not going post on page 4 of another post and the reasons not being heard. So with that being said here it is.
When you shoot at a Mech in MechWarrior Online your shot does not insta-hit the target area doing max damage on that area. If a mech is moving and you shoot a laser at the leg, the shot would hit for .2 -.5 seconds or if you're really good maybe longer on that particular spot. Becuase the lasers and other weapons take 1-2 seconds to shoot or get the full "round" off then you will only be hitting for partial % damage. Since its not a insta-hit not all damage will be onto that area thus missing most of your "round". I say "round" becuase well, lasers dont use rounds... anyways Thanks for reading! Troll away trolls.

#2 Kittygrinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationRocking the boat.

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

You should have posted in the appropriate thread.

#3 Broddr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:38 AM

And you should have responded in the proper response for a thread created like this, keep trolling bro :-D

#4 Lazer Blazer

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationIn a mech somewhere

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

You can EASILY leg a mech If you hit it with a gauss a couple of times. 1 projectile and shoots really quickly.

#5 Broddr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

From all videos and the dev posts, thats highly unlikly Lazer, we shall see once we get in tho ;-)

#6 Xandre Blackheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationIn the "cockpit".

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

Don't like getting legged? Stand behind a waist high hill and snipe.

Or better yet encourage your light mech lance mates to "cluster in your protective shadow... right in front of me)

#7 IRaigothI

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:46 AM

View PostBroddr, on 10 June 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

And you should have responded in the proper response for a thread created like this, keep trolling bro :-D

Kind of a hypocritical statement since you didnt do this yourself.
If there is already a thread created, post there, dont clog up the forums with new threads about things that have already been talked about.
And no, im not "Trolling" and neither was the last person.
Just because someone corrects something you did, doesnt mean they are trolling.

#8 Anubis132

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:47 AM

There are still many weapons which apply all of their damage immediately. Lasers might be more difficult to leg with, but PPCs, AC/20's, gauss rifles, and possibly pulse lasers will still do it. Making legging a viable (but not overpowered) tactic will be part of the balancing process, and the devs are certainly aware of it.

#9 Kittygrinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRocking the boat.

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:48 AM

View PostBroddr, on 10 June 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

... i love kids, theyre so cute.

#10 IRaigothI

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 112 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

View PostKittygrinder, on 10 June 2012 - 09:48 AM, said:

... i love kids, theyre so cute.

I know right?

#11 Torcip

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, Michigan

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

I believe the Devs have stated that legging, will be just as viable as destroying a mech any other way. Personally I think the preferred method for defeating a mech is going to really depend on what mech you are fighting, but on average all methods will be usable.

#12 Bitslizer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

they already said legging a mech will result in the mech dragging its crimpled leg, it won't get blown off, ie legging a mech reduce its mobilbity but not its power to fight back unless you manage to get in position behind it

#13 Vhyle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationNewark, Ohio

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

Anyone remember circle of death legging? Anyone? I used that tactic in MW2. Funny watching ther other two of your lance mates circling in different directions around the last guy, just dying horribly in a fire. Fun times, fun times.

#14 Aelos03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • LocationSerbia

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

View PostBroddr, on 10 June 2012 - 09:34 AM, said:

In other MechWarrior games you could Alpha the legs and immobilizing the mech or destroying it. I created this post becuase im not going post on page 4 of another post and the reasons not being heard. So with that being said here it is.
When you shoot at a Mech in MechWarrior Online your shot does not insta-hit the target area doing max damage on that area. If a mech is moving and you shoot a laser at the leg, the shot would hit for .2 -.5 seconds or if you're really good maybe longer on that particular spot. Becuase the lasers and other weapons take 1-2 seconds to shoot or get the full "round" off then you will only be hitting for partial % damage. Since its not a insta-hit not all damage will be onto that area thus missing most of your "round". I say "round" becuase well, lasers dont use rounds... anyways Thanks for reading! Troll away trolls.

Well thats true about lasers but not every mach have small legs like raven it will depend on mech you are shooting and thats only for lasers becuase it does dot damage, but i see ppc and ballistics to be more useful for legging and it will work devs already told us that it works <_<

#15 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

While someone is staring at my feet in a fight I punch them in the head.

While someone is staring at my legs in battletech, I put a gauss round through the cockpit.

#16 Xantars

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 477 posts
  • LocationSome were in house Stiner Space

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:28 AM

legging wolnt kill someone they can still fight back or so i would belive..... Go for the kill shot not the leg shot

#17 Eco

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

i personally cant wait to take every ones leg that has said it cant be done or dosent want it in the game!

#18 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

The OP, in addition to not being able to post in the proper thread, is operating on a fallacious assumption: that an overall reduction in the ability to target a single component will result in relatively less effectiveness against legs, vs any other part. Sure, legs are harder to single out and pop under this system, but so is any single component. Yes, it's true that legs move faster than other components, but they're also generally less armored, and the style of mech designs in the game tends to favor legs that are very stalky, to say nothing for the general lack of speed and agility available to most mechs of this era.

Maybe legging will be harder and maybe it will be simpler, but it's an at-present untestable assumption to assume that legging isn't a viable strategy in MWO, and one I find the reasoning for to be weak, to say the least.

#19 Renan Ruivo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 541 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro, Brazil

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

Can't wait to start legging clanners.

#20 Xandre Blackheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationIn the "cockpit".

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

Err.. legging in a scout mech is always a good idea when facing a heavy or an assault. It allows you to get the hell away afterwards from a limping fatty.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users