#1 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

We all know that MechWarrior: Online currently prides itself in the absence of annoying in-game advertising... but is this a good thing? I think that it's possible to significantly increase MW:O's revenue base while preserving the integrity of Gameplay Enjoyment. It's my opinion that in-game advertising might be the missing link to MW:O's true money-making potential.

This thread exists so we, the Community, can present our ideas and suggestions for In-Game advertising.
  • Nokia SRMs - Turn the SRM projectiles into the latest model of Nokia cellular phone. PGI could rake-in cash by charging Nokia by-the-missile for product exposure, then tune SRM damage in the following patch to make everyone drop with SRM launchers.
  • Subway "Stay Fresh!" Custom Atlas skin - a Free (0 MC) custom skin for all Atlas Mechs; PGI charges/download.
  • Crizal Lenses Cockpit Glass - An unlockable upgrade to your FerroGlass cockpit windows, the Crizal Cockpit cuts down on sun glare, improves nighttime clarity, and resists minor scrapes and scratches.
What are your ideas?

;)

(a note to new thread viewers... look up, and take a peek at which section of the forums this is posted in ;-)

Edited by Prosperity Park, 15 July 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#2 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

Am I the only one here who understands the potential value of this thread? How much money would the Developers rake-in by getting in touch with Bose for:
  • WaveGuide Heavy Metal upgrade - Improves the sound quality and clarity of your heavy Metal's speaker system by adapting the sound's wave profile to match the size and shape of your BattleMech cockpit, resulting in a richer, fuller sound experience.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 12 July 2013 - 02:48 PM.

#3 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:25 PM

I just cleaned out several posts. This is a fun topic, not a flame the mods topic. Please keep it this way.

Edited by Egomane, 12 July 2013 - 01:25 PM.

#4 PanzerMagier

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 1,369 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSome nameless backwater planet

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 12 July 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

Some of you guys need to take some Prozac™ and stop acting so dire and depressed.

As an asexualist who's very fed up with the past 5 months stale bread meta, I'd be happy to give you my mailbox details if you could mail me some of that Prozac. I clearly need it for recreational purposes and maybe my girl would enjoy it perhaps more than I would. /somewhatjokinglyserious >.>

~don't judge me~

Edited by PanzerMagier, 12 July 2013 - 02:00 PM.

#5 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

View PostPanzerMagier, on 12 July 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

As an asexualist who's very fed up with the past 5 months stale bread meta, I'd be happy to give you my mailbox details if you could mail me some of that Prozac. I clearly need it for recreational purposes and maybe my girl would enjoy it perhaps more than I would. /somewhatjokinglyserious >.>

~don't judge me~

Okay, I know how to help.
  • "Have a Coke!" - After a user experiences more then 2 losses in-a-row, the next time they are sent to MechLab they are presented with a virtual Coke by a smiling Polar Bear. I know there is little chance of this getting by certain elements of PGI, but [as an unbiased party on the issue] I still think the idea has merit.

also:
  • Peak™ coolant flush - an upgrade to the 9x9 coolant flush Pilot Tree Skill, the Peak coolant flush is only unlockable via a promotional code found on the Peak website. The function would be only slightly different from a normal 9x9, (let's say it flushes 50% faster). You cannot charge MC for this upgrade, as it would violate one of the game's design pillars (When you Peak, you Win; you can't charge cash for that).

Edited by Prosperity Park, 12 July 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#6 Stalephreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 295 posts
  • LocationStillwater, OK

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

CamelBack Coolant pack. 1 extra burst of cooling, but massive C-bill cost for it. Easily punctured by ballistic shot to the back. Advanced neoprene architecture prevents missiles from penetrating.

#7 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

• "DUREX ECM" for that little bit of "extra" protection.

#8 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:50 PM

• 300XL PowerStroke Fusion Engine - Going to the Ford official website and obtaining a promotional code will give you the chance to buy a 300XL PowerStroke Fusion Engine for 50% the MC price (based on how Standard Variants are currently price modeled in the MechLab)
  • Flo (bobblehead) - a free cockpit item, PGI can charge Progressive Insurance holdings based on the number of times people drop with it.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 12 July 2013 - 11:51 PM.

#9 Majorfatboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 623 posts
  • LocationBound and gagged on The Island

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

No joke, A buddy and Me both want custom pilot start-up animations where the mechwarrior slaps a crumpled cheeseburger wrapper and crushed beer cans off of the mech's dashboard then goes about pressing the various buttons and such.

What's this got to do with advertising?

Just imagine if that were a McDonald's burger wrapper, and / or a empty can of Duff..............

#10 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

View PostMajorfatboy, on 13 July 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

Just imagine if that were a McDonald's burger wrapper, and / or a empty can of Duff..............

"Reactor: Online"
"Sensors: Online"
"Weapons: Online"
"Flame-Broiled Whopper: Nominal"

• Rain-X Cockpit Glass Upgrade - Causes the water that splashes up on your cockpit when traversing streams/lakes to bead and sheet-off more quickly, thereby helping you better see the road ahead.
  • Corporate Highlander Kill-Song Themes - Sponsors can pay PGI to plug their iconic Brand Song/Jingles into a shuffling Highlander Kill Song queue, like passages from iconic songs as "Like a Rock," and slogans such as "Car Toys, A Better Way to Go!"
  • "Real-Life" Tool Tips - Instead of telling players about C3, or giving information about the game, the Map Loading tool tips could actually be tailored into real life tool tips such as "Changing your insurance to Geico could save you up to 44%!"

Edited by Prosperity Park, 13 July 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#11 Majorfatboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 623 posts
  • LocationBound and gagged on The Island

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 13 July 2013 - 02:39 PM, said:

"Flame-Broiled Whopper: NOMinal"

Fixed.

#12 S3dition

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,633 posts
  • LocationWashington, USA

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

I'd prefer if my pilot was checking his email on one of the displays, and it's 30 pages of "cheap ******" "Perform for her tonight" and my personal favorite "I'm the former prince of Nigeria, currently dethroned by the ruthless general Harsad Mulaki. I wish to speak to you most urgent about the sum of $1,000,000 US Only".

#13 Atlai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,439 posts
  • Locationfrom the East of the South end of the North

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:22 PM

In all serious ness I don't see why they can't put advertising in river city's billboards.

As for something funny my funny seems to be broken today :/

#14 Ramien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • LocationToledo

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

Let's see...
  • Cameos: In keeping with Battletech tradition (Hi Harmony Gold, don't sue me), whenever new 'giant robot' movies come out, a few MC will buy a copy of that robot to play as your 'Mech! Now Jaegers from Pacific Rim can fight against Optimus Prime from the next Transformers movie!
  • Show Your Team Colors:New premium skins for all humanoid 'Mechs - NFL uniforms complete with helmet logo!
  • In-Cockpit Ads: You know all those screens in the cockpit that don't show anything? They do now...

#15 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:36 PM

• GEICO Mech Insurance - 15 minutes can save you 15% or more in mech insurance.

#16 Garagano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

:D

#17 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

Posted Image

#18 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

View PostGaragano, on 14 July 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

Posted Image
Posted Image

:D

Posted Image

#19 MustrumRidcully

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:16 AM

If PGI would need it to stay afloat... But rather not.

I remember that Vixox in some games is ad-supported. Premium subscribers get ad-free voice chat, F2Ps ads.

#20 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 15 July 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

If PGI would need it to stay afloat... But rather not.

I remember that Vixox in some games is ad-supported. Premium subscribers get ad-free voice chat, F2Ps ads.

Oh, no no no... Vioxx was linked to thousands of deaths from heart-complications. You can't just selectively inhibit cox-2 and expect to magically get rid of all unintended symptoms whether or not they were due to cox-1 cross inhibition.

If they wanted to go biomed, then something more "successful" might be warranted, and also make sure to target the right age group. Something like:
  • All Day Strong, All Day Long - If the User's first loss of the day is in the morning (local time), they are presented with a pop-up ad for Aleve painkiller to help them keep piloting their Mechs all day without pain or discomfort, and without the need to take up to 8 pills like other brands of pain medication.
  • 5-Hour Energy Circuit - A five day tournament with a five hour long fighting window each day, and the winner will be determined by who has the highest summed-score earned during any single hour of continuous play using only a single Mech. Top 5 winners get a bunch of MC and 5-hour Energy swag.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 15 July 2013 - 10:37 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users