Customization for HUD

17 replies to this topic

Poll: customization for your HUD? (63 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like customization for your HUD?

1. Yup!! Anything: color, transparency, location of data, etc. (48 votes [76.19%])

Percentage of vote: 76.19%

2. nope cookie cutter everything is always the same (4 votes [6.35%])

Percentage of vote: 6.35%

3. Only some things (11 votes [17.46%])

Percentage of vote: 17.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 geck0 icaza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

Hey all,

Fairly simple suggestion: Allow us to re position the HUD how we like. Ie: enemy damage bottom left, out damage bottom right, weapons top left, etc. To add on, maybe even adjust the size?

Thoughts? Yes, No, maybe and why?

#2 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

ahm, are you aware of the fact that there is not a "classical" hud like in mmo´s with skillbars and that? everything you have is attached to the instruments of the mech...and that is sooo cool :P

#3 Cybrid

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

Considering that this is a game about gigantic death machines, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to imagine each pilot would have their own taste of how the HUD would look, and be able to customize it, at least slightly. :P

#4 Freyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 413 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:11 PM

I'd support this notion with the caveat that you cannot ALTER how information is shown to you. (IE: WoW addons.)

#5 Strisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

I assume that changing HUD color etc. may be one of the pay-for options in game. As such I have no problems with being able to customize it any way you want, as long as you get the same information from it that everyone else does.

#6 geck0 icaza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:15 AM

View PostAdrienne Vorton, on 10 June 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

ahm, are you aware of the fact that there is not a "classical" hud like in mmo´s with skillbars and that? everything you have is attached to the instruments of the mech...and that is sooo cool :)

I am aware. But I was referring to the stuff that is super imposed on the pilots vision.

View PostFreyar, on 10 June 2012 - 08:11 PM, said:

I'd support this notion with the caveat that you cannot ALTER how information is shown to you. (IE: WoW addons.)

I agree. Add on's like those usually improve performance. But if they write the ToS accordingly this would be considered 3rd party programs and thus not allowed.

#7 TripleHex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOut of range of your weapons

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

Some things, yeah, that makes sense, but if it's TOTAL customization, some knucklehead will likely take it too far. *me*

Probably best for all our sakes if only some things were able to be customized; things like color, transparency, and the option for only pop-up data (such that if something changes, it'll pop-up, but not otherwise)... stuff like that.

#8 Psyctooth

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 33 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

I wouldn't mind the ability to move around some parts of your visible HUD which is on the mech pilot's Helmet display and change the colours and most importantly the opacity (for those who don't know anything about art, that is viability level).

In this day and age custom add-ons or having a "cluttered" or an "art heavy" UI impacts little on performance in comparison to 5 or 6 years ago.

On that note I am personally against Add-ons on the simple notion that they can be intrusive, intrusive add-ons have ruined some games due to their heavy use impacting directly on the decision making for gameplay balance by their respective game designers and the game economy.

#9 Belisarius1

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:52 PM

View PostAdrienne Vorton, on 10 June 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

ahm, are you aware of the fact that there is not a "classical" hud like in mmo´s with skillbars and that? everything you have is attached to the instruments of the mech...and that is sooo cool :)

Are you aware that "Head Up Display" refers explicitly to information projected on the viewing surface, and does not include instrument displays at all?

I would pay for a customisable HUD. I hope they do this, and not just trivial things like colour. At the very least, size and location of hud elements has to be malleable for it to be worth doing.

Edited by Belisarius1, 11 June 2012 - 08:54 PM.

#10 Scrawny Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 574 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:36 AM

I'd say minor stuff only.

But another thought... how about the exact opposite. Each mech have unique positioning of screens, HUD's, colors, etc. That would give mechs each a different feel, at least what's on the dashboard.

Doubt at this point the Dev's would want to go back are redo a bunch of cockpits they just finished rendering and such.

#11 Lord Potato

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:29 AM

I think this could go into a pack of sorts with like stickers and custom paint for the mech

I WOULD PAY FOR THIS

#12 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:32 AM

HUD customisation? Funk yeah.

Moving it around, different set-ups for each mech would also be cool, though possibly a lot of work? It would certainly help to give each mech a personality, help to tie you to a given chassis for a reason other than the guns or what ever.

#13 YeOldeDM

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

Please let us at least customize the color of the HUD, especially the crosshairs. Far too often, the yellow HUD blends in too well with everything else and I lose track of where my crosshairs are. If it were bright green, or even white, this would probably not be a problem.

#14 Ayridynn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 567 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

Total customization may be a bit much but I, for one, have a sub-par computer and have to run everything on Low and small windowed to even have a chance at 10 FPS. So trying to look past an opaque reticle really sucks. Being able to change the color would be nice but really, transparency would be enough for me as long as it's free but I don't care enough to pay for any HUD customization.

#15 Beeman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

I personally would like to have more of my HUD elements' information displayed on cockpit monitors. Heat, battlegrid, damage, enemy damage and maybe a weapon group monitor off to the side.

I mean, there's usually at least three monitors that're always visible without using the button that lets you look around your cockpit.

Maybe have the option to display select HUD information on cockpit monitors(if you like that sort of thing, like me) or keep it all displayed in your HUD....then perhaps give you a couple options as to the layout of your HUD or locational preferences of your cockpit monitors(eg. battlegrid must be on a monitor as close to the bottom-center as possible, weapon groups must be to the right on the nearest possible monitor, etc...).

Not sure how easy that would be to program, though. It'd certainly be a low priority if they ever consider something like that.

#16 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

I really hope we get an option to colour our HUD any colour we want. I personally would prefer white or green to yellow, especially the crosshairs. Yellow is not a good colour visually on the spectrum for true FPS vision.

#17 Elder Thorn

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

yeah, that would be great. Maybe even adding some mods or addons. However, those addons would need to be controllable by the devs, so it's doesn't add any unfair data, which will probably mean not to allow mods at all. I'd be ok with that, but let us customize things like color, position of stuff, transparency, maybe even toggle stuff on and off. Add a few different styles maybe.

TL;DR:
+1 for OP

#18 Mal3storm

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not, but I would like to see the color of people/friends that you drop with be different from the rest of the group, on the mini map, thus making it a bit easier to see who you dropped with and where they are on the mini map. ex: on the mini map, your friends would be purple(or another color, instead of blue, or red). Maybe the triangle's above their names on the screen the same color. I find it a tad bit hard running at 100+ kph and trying to read the names to see if they are who I dropped with.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users