Reality Check - Stop Dreaming About Community Warfare Is Not Going To Happen.

37 replies to this topic

#1 BlackIronTarkus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationBehind you, breathing on your neck.

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:26 AM

Alright guys, many of you already know this but Im going to make it obvious for people who still have a shiver of hope. I want to realistic here and make you realise that community warfare will be nothing like you think it will or should be.

first of all, lets look at what we have right now. Im talking about ''worlds'' or map here. Obviously if there have to be some kind of community warfare it have to be more than simply fighting on the same map over and over for non-sensical objectives. At least thats the way I imagine it. Well to be more precise I imagine it like that.
  • You join a faction.
  • Then you have a galactic map where you can see where fights are happenning.
  • You clic ''join'' on a world with conflict.
  • Finally, you get to fight against other player on a map corresponding to the planet envirnment.
  • Win/lose, you get some faction point, and the front is pushed one way or the other.
Over and over.

But with the quantity of possible ''world'' or map we have right now it is quite impossible to achieve that. Also, it is almost impossible for PGI to developt many maps in a couple of months, especialy with the overkill process they go through for making a simple map such as tourmaline desert.

http://www.penny-arc...am-creates-worl

So, the only thing you guys can realisticly get is some kind of faction point earning while doing exactly what we are doing right now; playing conquest and assault on the same maps over and over.

Thats it. If we get any CW at all, it will be really shallow and wont change anything from what we are doing right now, unless PGI by some miracle can pump out maps faster than player can experience them... which is impossible.

#2 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:32 AM

it will take a while. But i think it'll be in eventually. lol definitely not at release

not sure why they consistently over predict their ability to meet deadlines.

Edited by Tennex, 13 July 2013 - 05:32 AM.

#3 Sabazial

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • Point Commander
  • 725 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:25 AM

Black pretty much nailed it right there, i too hope for something like he describes, but that inner voice is telling me it's not gonna happen.

The game is rapidly becoming stale also, think i've logged in twice for a few matches in the last three weeks.

Edited by Belphegore, 13 July 2013 - 06:27 AM.

#4 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:38 AM

PGI should never have taken on the role as CW provider the MechWarrior community did a much better job of providing CW or varied leagues long ago in past MechWarrior titles. PGI should have just made it possible to have the same private matches savable configurations in mechlab map choices and multiple game modes as past MechWarrior titles and let the community handle CW and PGI handle MWO and its varied problems. PGI should be building mechs and content for sale not CW. Also they should have let the community help make some maps. http://mechwarriorle.../main/index.cgi http://www.netbattletech.com/nbt-mp3/ http://mechreg.org/ a few examples PGI should also provide accurate statistics for private leagues a lobby launcher and live open chat. Posted Image

#5 Congzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:46 AM

You are 100% right. World of Tanks did exactly that and the game has been a monumental failure.

/sarcasm

#6 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

View PostCongzilla, on 13 July 2013 - 06:46 AM, said:

You are 100% right. World of Tanks did exactly that and the game has been a monumental failure.

/sarcasm

MechWarrior should have never been made on the WOT game model its not MechWarrior and never will be PGI should change the name to WOM=World of Mechs. And they should have used the Unreal3 game engine much better suited for a MechWarrior game.SO FU WOT SUCKKSSS ASSSS. 1. Chuck Norris is the only WoT player who's got 16 enemy kills.
2. Chuck Norris is the only player whose gameplay starts immediately after map loading.
3. Chuck Norris doesn't need gold ammo to penetrate thick armor - he jumps to the cannon and orders commander to shoot himself towards enemy tanks.
4. Chuck Norris doesn't whine about the MM - he creates it on his own. When he does not like it he rearranges it manually.
5. One time a Maus tried to ram Chuck Norris' T1Cunningham. Until these days we don't know where has the Maus landed.
6. Chuck Norris' base can't be captured. His base only captures enemies' tanks.
7. When Chuck Norris is bored shooting custom shells, he practices his kung-fu manuevers in close combat. Moreover, the repair costs of kicks-damage are doubled in comparison to custom shells damage.
8. Chuck Norris is so good driver he can climb the steepest hills with T95 faster than others with T-50-2 can do.
9. Sometimes a ghost shells appear in the game. But only few people know that the ghost-shelled tank drives Chuck Norris. Don't ever expect to hit him with single point of damage.
10. Chuck Norris win to lose ratio is 101 %.

2nd wave :-)
11. Chuck Norris doesn't need premium, his account gives 200 % bonus in normal user mode.
12. Chuck Norris' artillery fires Texas Ranger badges. It doesn't blow up tanks, but damages crew - average damage is 4 men killed, 1 injured and half body bones cracked.
13. Chuck Norris' T1 Cunningham has view range of 540m.
14. Chuck Norris' crew skills are: Chuck Norris' sence, Fear of Chuck Norris, Strenght of Chuck Norris, Jeans of Chuck Norris, Smile of Chuck Norris and Chuck Norris' deadly double jump-kick.
15. Chuck Norris is the only player whose crew has reached 135 % efficiency use (not to mention he has a permanent + 10 % plus of the Chuck Norris in the tank skill).
16. Everytime when whiners posted asks of nerfing Chuck's account, they disappeared in the game. Don't ask where or why - Chuck is about to find you.
17. Chuck Norris' platoons can be up to 4 people large. But Chuck drives solo every time, he has no time to wait for the others.
18. When Chuck Norris' has something more important to do in the time of battle, he can freeze the gameplay and get back later.
19. Chuck Norris sometimes plays Dragon Ridge map even in 7.5 patch. He likes the bamboo - it is perfect material for training his kicks and moves.
20. Do you know why is the physics going to be implemented? Chuck Norris asked developers to make the game harder and allowed others to move freely in furious pointless effort to evade his rage. He is just giving us more time before we die in the battle.

#7 The Mechromancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

I don't know if anyone played it but...

Mechassault 2 multiplayer has/had a really cool galactic map that had faction borders and such. And you could choose where to go and fight over planets. (I don't remember exactly how it worked though)

That's what I thought CW would be, but I am ready for dissapoint.

#8 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,758 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

^_^

As you can see, every generation has had the same thoughts.

Posted Image

As for Leagues and such, no thanks. Due to NOT getting backing on their Single Player w/multiplayer support PGI pretty much had to go down this road. Am I happy they are approaching it from a MPBT POV instead of a Mechwarrior POV?

I am. Leagues and such gather only a small group of players who are hardcore enough to keep at it every day/every week while being dependent on another group of people/players, non-paid, to keep the infrastructure. There is no room for someone to simply jump in and see if they like it or not, nor for those who have different time zones or are more of the occasional player.

MWO is set to gather all of those players under 1 roof, and with time provide sustenance for both the hardcore players to the occasional players while being profitable enough to continue moving forward.

Like their southern cousins, Canadians are definitely not perfect. The game does have things that need to be worked out with the road they have taken. And sometimes we all may feel like putting them into a corner and bounce them around a few times or over a knee with a belt (maybe with studs on it!!) :) .

Off to the races!!

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 13 July 2013 - 10:06 AM.

#9 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

Well, let's say they go ahead and surprise us laying the ground-work for the type of all out warfare that was in the concept for MPBT 3025. I wouldn't expect CW to be anything special at first.

Posted Image

#10 BlackIronTarkus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationBehind you, breathing on your neck.

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

Its quite simply really, for community warfare, PGI must first do these steps;
  • Finish and release UI 2.0
  • Make many new maps (By many, I mean MANY; fields, cities, forest, deserts, mountains, snow and many more maps)

UI is almost done, thats great. Now they need to wake up and stop taking their time with map creation. They need to take an idea and simply create it directly in the map editor. Forget about sketches and color researchs, no time for that. Just get in there and produce maps. It doesnt matter if they arent balanced, as long as both ''spawn'' have cover and are far away enough from each other it will be fine.

#11 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

View PostThe Mechromancer, on 13 July 2013 - 09:03 AM, said:

I don't know if anyone played it but...

Mechassault 2 multiplayer has/had a really cool galactic map that had faction borders and such. And you could choose where to go and fight over planets. (I don't remember exactly how it worked though)

That's what I thought CW would be, but I am ready for dissapoint.

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 13 July 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

Well, let's say they go ahead and surprise us laying the ground-work for the type of all out warfare that was in the concept for MPBT 3025. I wouldn't expect CW to be anything special at first.

Posted Image

Heck I would take this. Maybe a planetside style incentive to join losing factions.

#12 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

View PostBlackIronTarkus, on 13 July 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

Its quite simply really, for community warfare, PGI must first do these steps;
  • Finish and release UI 2.0
  • Make many new maps (By many, I mean MANY; fields, cities, forest, deserts, mountains, snow and many more maps)

UI is almost done, thats great. Now they need to wake up and stop taking their time with map creation. They need to take an idea and simply create it directly in the map editor. Forget about sketches and color researchs, no time for that. Just get in there and produce maps. It doesnt matter if they arent balanced, as long as both ''spawn'' have cover and are far away enough from each other it will be fine.

qft

#13 Kanatta Jing

• 1,178 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:48 PM

Maps? More maps?

I thought CW was a match making lobby with a team chat. With Liao and lone wolves on one side and Davions and lone wolves on the other.

More maps sounds awful as a core of the game.

#14 Sabazial

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • Point Commander
  • 725 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

View PostKanatta Jing, on 15 July 2013 - 09:48 PM, said:

Maps? More maps?

I thought CW was a match making lobby with a team chat. With Liao and lone wolves on one side and Davions and lone wolves on the other.

More maps sounds awful as a core of the game.

And fighting battles over countless planets being represented by a handful of maps is good?

#15 Red squirrel

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

View PostTennex, on 13 July 2013 - 05:32 AM, said:

it will take a while. But i think it'll be in eventually. lol definitely not at release

not sure why they consistently over predict their ability to meet deadlines.

The recently announced release data is a joke .... I fear they wont even redo the hillarious XP-System.
Currently the XP-System is all about getting that speed boost for each mech - that's it - so boring!

#16 Theodor Kling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:57 PM

I think CW will come.. sometime late 2014. IF they make maps faster.
Clans..well..maybe even this decade :)

#17 Sabazial

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • Point Commander
  • 725 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

They stated some time ago that they had all the assets built for making maps, and would be able to put them out much faster now. Doesn't seem to be the case though?

#18 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

View PostBlackIronTarkus, on 13 July 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

this, this...

#19 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

The kinds of CW galaxy maps we might want. (ignore the source)
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

The CW map we'll get:
Posted Image

#20 Name140704

• 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

PGI tend to drag their feet.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users