Mechwarrior 4 First Time Player (So my body is ready for MWO)

27 replies to this topic

#1 Luke Garrad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 139 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom - Devon

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

Heyy guys.

Started Playing Mechwarrior 4 as I'm new to the series. I need some help and tips for a begineer. And also how you guys first learned the controls and all. So far I love the game and all But Im having a lot of trouble being able to renember the controls and which button does which. Anyone know any better control schemes or something I can print off to help me with it. Thanks

#2 GrizzlyViking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

View PostLuke Garrad, on 10 June 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

Heyy guys.

Started Playing Mechwarrior 4 as I'm new to the series. I need some help and tips for a begineer. And also how you guys first learned the controls and all. So far I love the game and all But Im having a lot of trouble being able to renember the controls and which button does which. Anyone know any better control schemes or something I can print off to help me with it. Thanks

Just like everything else...repetition and when you've done that repeat it again. However, I wouldn't spend a great deal of time on MW4 since we do not yet know how closely the controls will resemble MW4 if at all.

Edited by GrizzlyViking, 10 June 2012 - 02:07 PM.

#3 MungFuSensei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

MW4 isn't really representative of what you'll be seeing in MWO. Same basics, but the finer details are lost. Mechwarrior Living Legends is a closer analogue. Quite a bit different, but the feel is spot on.

#4 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

My suggestion would be to find some place where your hand rests comfortably on the keyboard, and then program the keys you need to be keys that you can reach from that position.

For instance, I used to run the 6 keys in the little "insert, delete, home, end, pgUp, pgDown" group as my 6 weapons groups. Arrow keys below allowed for arm swinging. Used keys around the backspace key for various functions like shutdown override, flushing, radar control. Keys on the numberpad for other functions.

In order to really pilot efficiently, you need to cluster all those things into a single area. Can't be reaching across the whole keyboard to do it.

#5 Torcip

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationAnn Arbor, Michigan

I suggest making your own controls, first thing I do in almost any game is change the key binds to something easy to use and remember for me. If it's a game with a bazillion controls like a MW game then I might print of my own key bind chart I made in Word or something.

#6 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

I'd love a list of all currently supported controls.

Never too early to plan out your control scheme.

#7 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

The best way to prepare for MW:O through MW4 is simply by trying to improve generally gunnery and piloting. Start trying to master the very basics of heat management, weapon groupings, torso twisting and accuracy. Don't get too worried about "which 'mech is best, or what is my favorite weapon" as such things are going to change drastically in the new title.

Master the basics and you'll be in as good as shape as anyone. Even us long time MechWarrior veterans are going to more or less start from scratch figuring out the new game mechanics and control schemes.

#8 Luke Garrad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

View PostTorcip, on 10 June 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

I suggest making your own controls, first thing I do in almost any game is change the key binds to something easy to use and remember for me. If it's a game with a bazillion controls like a MW game then I might print of my own key bind chart I made in Word or something.

View PostRoland, on 10 June 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

My suggestion would be to find some place where your hand rests comfortably on the keyboard, and then program the keys you need to be keys that you can reach from that position.

For instance, I used to run the 6 keys in the little "insert, delete, home, end, pgUp, pgDown" group as my 6 weapons groups. Arrow keys below allowed for arm swinging. Used keys around the backspace key for various functions like shutdown override, flushing, radar control. Keys on the numberpad for other functions.

In order to really pilot efficiently, you need to cluster all those things into a single area. Can't be reaching across the whole keyboard to do it.

Thanks guys, Tommorow I will spend a couple of hours trying different key schemes until I get the best result, Also is your mouse for mech turning or torso turning.

#9 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

I used to use my mouse for both torso and legs.

I mapped the mouse movement itself to torso movement, and then mapped the right and left buttons to right and left leg movement. Used the mouse-wheel for throttle control, and pressing the mousewheel down to set the throttle to 0.

#10 Luke Garrad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

View PostRoland, on 10 June 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

I used to use my mouse for both torso and legs.

I mapped the mouse movement itself to torso movement, and then mapped the right and left buttons to right and left leg movement. Used the mouse-wheel for throttle control, and pressing the mousewheel down to set the throttle to 0.

Hmmmm that seems like a good idea

#11 Torcip

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

View PostLuke Garrad, on 10 June 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

Thanks guys, Tommorow I will spend a couple of hours trying different key schemes until I get the best result, Also is your mouse for mech turning or torso turning.

I use a joystick, but if I were to use a mouse I would use it to turn the torso, but that's just me. You need to do what suits you best.

#12 Luke Garrad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 139 posts

Is there anyway I can be cheap and use xpadder to map some of the basic controls to a xbox controller.

#13 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

i use RDFG for my movement, it gives me more keys, faster, however because of that i forego arm swings.

keeping it short, the best thing i can think to suggest is, learn to toggle your radar, being passive helps fight poptarts, just don't forget to check it once in a while.

#14 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

If I do go mouse/keyboard for MW4... I use the WASD formula as presented in MW:LL

If not, I use a joystick.

#15 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

View PostLuke Garrad, on 10 June 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

Is there anyway I can be cheap and use xpadder to map some of the basic controls to a xbox controller.

You might be able to pull it off, but you're going to end up with a simplified control scheme, I think.

In my control scheme, not counting movement itself, I was running around 12-14 different buttons if I recall, not including the 6 weapon groups... An XBox controller just isn't going to have enough buttons, I don't think.

Of course, a lot of pilots didn't actually use all of the functionality in the game anyway, so ymmv.

#16 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

it supports that joypad, just not the thumbsticks with microsoft's driver.

#17 Torcip

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

You might be able to do this, but as stated earlier you would really be playing a simplified control scheme that may put you at a disadvantage.

#18 Horizon

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 56 posts
  • Location----

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

View PostRoland, on 10 June 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

Lol, I got a left-handed number pad for the torso movement THEEEN ALL THE WAY TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE KEYBOARD is the default keys for weapon groups and throttle. My left hand be dancing.

Oh yeah, and I just started on MW4 not too long ago, I never knew how easy it was to get it..

Edited by Horizon, 10 June 2012 - 02:26 PM.

#19 Krubarax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 329 posts
  • LocationGBG, Sweden

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

One key to success is to make good weapon groups, which suits you and your play style.

Keep your primary group the easiest and quickest to reach.
If you, for example, want to hang back and snipe, and you are equipped with 2 Gauss Rifles and one Large Laser and one SRM6
I would group the 2 Gauss as my primary (Mouse 1 in my case) because they need precicion and timing to hit, and they will be your primary damage dealers.
Group 2 would be the LL, as it is also a long range weapon, but the Gauss are primary, and they are not instant hit, so if you would have them in the same group, either would miss, at longer ranges.

The SRM6 is your backup CCW, and should be put in Group 3.

Just an example, but you get the idea.

#20 Squigles

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 426 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

I'd think the best possible set up would be something along the lines of using the shoulder buttons for left and right turns, the 2 bumpers to cycle weapons groups, the D-pad for torso movement. One of the face keys to fire current weapons group, and then 1 to fire a (primary) weapons group, 1 for a coolant flush (won't be in MWO), and 1 for JJ's. Should leave you with 2 face keys (3 if the guide button can be used) to map to whatever you want.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users