Gameplay - Heat Scale Addition

461 replies to this topic

#421 Mack1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 596 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:25 AM

How about you all L2P and try using the hills, valleys, boulders caves, tunnels, buildings etc to avoid incoming fire from 6PPC stalkers and then use the map to your advantage to get in close to him and blow him away, I managed to do this for 7 months without out any issue, same for LRM boats. And as for Splat cats I estimate only about 30% ever got to optimum fire range on me as I would annihilated them as they closed in on me and that was before we had all this seismic sensor crap. It's all about being aware of your enemy and surroundings, I have 40 videos up of me coping with these so called "Cheese builds" that you are all so terrified of facing, it's all just a big L2P issue.

Now can we have our game back please PGI or are you going to cater for all the skill-less players that QQ on the forums everytime they get taken down in 2 or 3 alpha shots? How about you stick 2 fingers up at them and tell them to learn by their mistakes? Clearly that's not gonna happen, but mark my words this will never stop, they will keep coming back , tears in eyes asking for more nerfs, it will be AC next, you watch.

It's the same bunch that cried about LRM's and cheered when the ECM arrived as it allowed them to walk their skill-less Mech out in the open without a care in the world...come on PGI how come you guys are the only people that can't see what's happening to your game, it's going down the ******* fast, get a grip man.

Mech WARRIOR online? I hardly see any Warriors at all, it should be called Mech SISSYS online!

#422 BigMekkUrDakka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 213 posts
  • Locationland of AWESOME pilots

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:36 AM

View PostMack1, on 23 July 2013 - 03:25 AM, said:

Mech WARRIOR online? I hardly see any Warriors at all, it should be called Mech SISSYS online!

true for almost any online game today (
seems that game developers have no passion for creating great games nowdays, only for sucking up to casual crowd

#423 Alienfreak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:27 AM

TL;DR

People wanted Mech WARRIOR online and not Mech CHEESE or Mech BOAT online.

And if you happen to know at least a bit about MechWarrior or Battletech you also know that the builds we are seeing right now are closer to the spirit of MW and BT than anything we have seen the last few months.

We all know you are a fan of boating... :) (PPCs, Lasers, LRMs)
So stop your QQ and get your weapon chains ready!z

Edited by Alienfreak, 23 July 2013 - 06:43 AM.

#424 Brodie - GFY

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, VIC, Australia

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:54 AM

View PostJack Starborn, on 19 July 2013 - 11:32 PM, said:

heat penalties is BS --> just implement this PGI
http://www.qqmercs.com/?p=2780
(you don't even have to think, this guy did it for you for free)

#425 Mr Andersson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:05 AM

Having played with the new heat system for a while now I have realized that it didn't succeed. There is still a lot of boating going on. The penalties didn't eradicate boating, they just change the rules so that players had to adopt new styles of boating.

I have two different suggestions that take on a completely different approach to solving the problem.

Adjust hardpoints
The hardpoint system is a bit inconsistent, in my opinion. The fact that you can throw out a machine-gun and replace it wth an AC/20 seems a bit weird. I propose instead to have weapons of different "sizes" take up a different number of hardpoints.
For example, it could look something like this:
Small lasers take 0,5 energy hardpoints
Medium lasers take 1 energy hardpoint
Large lasers take 2 energy hardpoints
PPCs take 3 energy hardpoints
Machine-guns take 0,5 ballistic hardpoints
AC/2s take 1 ballistic hardpoint
AC/5s take 2 ballistic hardpoints
AC/10s take 3 ballistic hardpoints
AC/20s and Gauss rifles take 4 ballistic hardpoints
LRM5 and SRM2s take 1 missile hardpoint
LRM10 and SRM4 take 2 missile hardpoints
LRM15 and SRM6 take 3 missile hardpoints
LRM20 take 4 missile hardpoints

Of course, hardpoints on all mechs would have to be revised.

This would put an end not only to the 6PPC Stalker, but also to things like 2ERPPC Cicadas (which in my opinion should not exist either). It would also trash my GaussCat, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

As a secondary effect it would also make mechs more limited to which builds they can run and, as a consequence, more unique from each other.

Implement a spread penalty
Instead of getting a heat penalty when you are firing too many weapons of the same type, you would get a spread penalty, meaning that a percentage of each hit would go to a neighboring body part instead of to where it hits. The more weapons you fire, the higher the percentage.

I think this only needs to be added to the high damage, pinpoint weapons, ie PPCs, Gauss and AC/20.

Edited by Mr Andersson, 23 July 2013 - 04:48 PM.

#426 Tolkien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostMr Andersson, on 23 July 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

Having played with the new heat system for a while now I have realized that it didn't succeed. There is still a lot of boating going on. The penalties didn't eradicate boating, they just change the rules so that players had to adopt new styles of boating.

I have two different suggestions that take on a completely different approach to solving the problem.

Adjust hardpoints
The hardpoint system is a bit inconsistent, in my opinion. The fact that you can throw out a machine-gun and replace it wth an AC/20 seems a bit weird. I propose instead to have weapons of different "sizes" take up a different number of hardpoint (similar to MechWarrior4).
For example, it could look something like this:
Small lasers take 0,5 energy hardpoints
Medium lasers take 1 energy hardpoint
Large lasers take 2 energy hardpoints
PPCs take 3 energy hardpoints
Machine-guns take 0,5 ballistic hardpoints
AC/2s take 1 ballistic hardpoint
AC/5s take 2 ballistic hardpoints
AC/10s take 3 ballistic hardpoints
AC/20s and Gauss rifles take 4 ballistic hardpoints
LRM5 and SRM2s take 1 missile hardpoint
LRM10 and SRM4 take 2 missile hardpoints
LRM15 and SRM6 take 3 missile hardpoints
LRM20 take 4 missile hardpoints

Of course, hardpoints on all mechs would have to be revised.

This would put an end not only to the 6PPC Stalker, but also to things like 2ERPPC Cicadas (which in my opinion should not exist either). It would also trash my GaussCat, but I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

As a secondary effect it would also make mechs more limited to which builds they can run and, as a consequence, more unique.

Implement a spread penalty
Instead of getting a heat penalty when you are firing too many weapons of the same type, you would get a spread penalty, meaning that a percentage of each hit would go to a neighboring body part instead of to where it hits. The more weapons you fire, the higher the percentage.

I think this only needs to be added to the high damage, pinpoint weapons, ie PPCs, Gauss and AC/20.

I like the line of thinking here. Slots are good but not a total solution (as clan ER medium lasers wreck face in a tiny 1 ton 1 crit package, and I believe the nova cat has 9 of them stock...) but the forced weapon spreading fixes many problems simultaneously. I like spreading solutions where it doesn't impact your aim, but it does automatically spread where the damage is hitting your target, maybe multiple shots within 0.5 seconds should auto spread damage. This way skill is still rewarded as better pilots will get more hits on their target, while alpha strikes won't all smoke the same pinpoint.

#427 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

How about you all L2P and try using the hills, valleys, boulders caves, tunnels, buildings etc to avoid incoming fire from 6PPC stalkers and then use the map to your advantage to get in close to him and blow him away, I managed to do this for 7 months without out any issue, same for LRM boats. And as for Splat cats I estimate only about 30% ever got to optimum fire range on me as I would annihilated them as they closed in on me and that was before we had all this seismic sensor crap. It's all about being aware of your enemy and surroundings, I have 40 videos up of me coping with these so called "Cheese builds" that you are all so terrified of facing, it's all just a big L2P issue.

Now can we have our game back please PGI or are you going to cater for all the skill-less players that QQ on the forums everytime they get taken down in 2 or 3 alpha shots? How about you stick 2 fingers up at them and tell them to learn by their mistakes? Clearly that's not gonna happen, but mark my words this will never stop, they will keep coming back , tears in eyes asking for more nerfs, it will be AC next, you watch.

It's the same bunch that cried about LRM's and cheered when the ECM arrived as it allowed them to walk their skill-less Mech out in the open without a care in the world...come on PGI how come you guys are the only people that can't see what's happening to your game, it's going down the ******* fast, get a grip man.

Time to buy a 2 button mouse.

#428 Alienfreak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 23 July 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

;)

#429 Wraith511802003

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 23 July 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

How bought instead of nerfing mechs that should be feared players play more tactically and understand there is consequences for not doing so. I light mech should never survive and encounter with an assault.
Forcing better players to adapt to the lack of tactics other players is wrong on all levels.
This is not farmville there are not guarantees wins.
AN please stop demanding diversity we get enough that crap n the real world.

Edited by Wraith511802003, 23 July 2013 - 01:02 PM.

#430 Clit Beastwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

I read Mack's whole post hearing his voice in my head lol

#431 Shivaxi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

I think the heat scale penalty is quite literally...********. Alright, lemme be a bit more specific. It's just a really bad idea. You can't balance a game by trying to add some heat scale penalty that doesn't make sense in the first place. I'm sorry but this is one of the worst ideas you guys have come up with. It makes no sense...fire 1 ppc and get 20 heat...fire 2 ppc's and get 40 heat....fire 3 ppc's and suddenly its 80 or 100?

Please remove this heat penalty, and just lower the overall heat capacity. That would balance things out just fine. Maybe you guys don't remember, but all these boating weapons like boating ppc's and stuff was never an issue until 2 things happened. DHS came out, and you lowered the heat on PPC's. before double heat sinks and endo steel and all that crap, the game was fantastic. All the weapons were utilized...people even ran standard engines! because they werent trying to fit as many bloody weapons as possible since the game turned into arcade style of run and gun and see who can do the most damage in the shortest amount of time by boating a thousand ppc's.

Matches actually used to last the full 15 minutes in closed beta, remember? anyone? at all? Mechs should not be killed in 1 hit...ANY mech for that matter...i dont care what anyone says. I want matches that last more than 3 minutes again. This is ridiculous.

Apologies if this post seems a little harsh, but this heat scale penalty thing is just a big mistake and I hope you guys realize this soon. You'll never balance the game this way, and this is a poor way to go about balancing anyway. Lower the overall heat capacity...just try it...it may do wonders =P

#432 Wraith511802003

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

This is what really needs to happen, dont put noobs in with vets.. problem solved.

View PostShivaxi, on 23 July 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

I think the heat scale penalty is quite literally...********. Alright, lemme be a bit more specific. It's just a really bad idea. You can't balance a game by trying to add some heat scale penalty that doesn't make sense in the first place. I'm sorry but this is one of the worst ideas you guys have come up with. It makes no sense...fire 1 ppc and get 20 heat...fire 2 ppc's and get 40 heat....fire 3 ppc's and suddenly its 80 or 100?

Please remove this heat penalty, and just lower the overall heat capacity. That would balance things out just fine. Maybe you guys don't remember, but all these boating weapons like boating ppc's and stuff was never an issue until 2 things happened. DHS came out, and you lowered the heat on PPC's. before double heat sinks and endo steel and all that crap, the game was fantastic. All the weapons were utilized...people even ran standard engines! because they werent trying to fit as many bloody weapons as possible since the game turned into arcade style of run and gun and see who can do the most damage in the shortest amount of time by boating a thousand ppc's.

Matches actually used to last the full 15 minutes in closed beta, remember? anyone? at all? Mechs should not be killed in 1 hit...ANY mech for that matter...i dont care what anyone says. I want matches that last more than 3 minutes again. This is ridiculous.

Apologies if this post seems a little harsh, but this heat scale penalty thing is just a big mistake and I hope you guys realize this soon. You'll never balance the game this way, and this is a poor way to go about balancing anyway. Lower the overall heat capacity...just try it...it may do wonders =P

Stil crying for diversity... GOOD GRIEF>...

While they are at destroying mech capabilities with heat, Jump jets should adhere to the heat scale as well. the more you use double the heat you scale..

Edited by Wraith511802003, 23 July 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#433 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:53 AM

View Postjollyrancher1, on 22 July 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

I have seen nothing but an improvement in game play since the heat change. Now I feel competitive in my brawlers not just my snipers. Scouts are also now a bit better as there are less snipers and getting hit by a 35 or 40 damage pinpoint alpha is survivable in a light.

Are you using SRMs?

#434 Villz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 627 posts
  • Locationstraya m8

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:01 AM

View PostAlienfreak, on 23 July 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

People wanted Mech WARRIOR online and not Mech CHEESE or Mech BOAT online.

And if you happen to know at least a bit about MechWarrior or Battletech you also know that the builds we are seeing right now are closer to the spirit of MW and BT than anything we have seen the last few months.

We all know you are a fan of boating... :) (PPCs, Lasers, LRMs)
So stop your QQ and get your weapon chains ready!z

Shows who is the real noob

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Viking

http://www.sarna.net...oat_BattleMechs

Boats are in cannon and there are many laser boats also.

L2p noob your tears onlly feed us.

It doesn't matter what weapon is strongest we will boat it and roll you with it.

#435 Alienfreak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:35 AM

View PostVillz, on 24 July 2013 - 02:01 AM, said:

Shows who is the real noob

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Viking

http://www.sarna.net...oat_BattleMechs

Boats are in cannon and there are many laser boats also.

L2p noob your tears onlly feed us.

It doesn't matter what weapon is strongest we will boat it and roll you with it.

Uhuuuu... now I am the noob. Very mature of you.

Of course Laserboats exist. And LRM boats. The Catapult is basically nothing but a boat. There even are UAC20 boats...
And of course you will "boat" the weapon that will prove strongest for your purpose.
But your argumentation is very selective and eristic. The most useful mechs and the VERY most in numbers alone have balanced loadouts. This has a reason

This leads us to:
MWO had a major problem due to its mechanics (changed Heat and changed convergence of weapons). The TT does not know such a thing. Targeting Computers are the only thing enabling to aim for things (except for the head) and making it harder to hit in the process. If you tried to use it with your PPCs you would end up with 7 additional tons of targeting computer and 7 slots used up. Not to mention you get this... 3062?
Until we can fix the problem inherent in the system here which actually disadvantages balanced loadouts

But I guess since you are pro you already know all this.

Edited by Alienfreak, 24 July 2013 - 02:38 AM.

#436 Jagsmar

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 37 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:41 AM

Mech Warrior Online or Mech Macro Online

Not trying to start a debate over macros, just saying the changes should not be easily defeated with a macro.

#437 Villz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 627 posts
  • Locationstraya m8

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostAlienfreak, on 24 July 2013 - 02:35 AM, said:

Uhuuuu... now I am the noob. Very mature of you.

Of course Laserboats exist. And LRM boats. The Catapult is basically nothing but a boat. There even are UAC20 boats...
And of course you will "boat" the weapon that will prove strongest for your purpose.
But your argumentation is very selective and eristic. The most useful mechs and the VERY most in numbers alone have balanced loadouts. This has a reason

This leads us to:
MWO had a major problem due to its mechanics (changed Heat and changed convergence of weapons). The TT does not know such a thing. Targeting Computers are the only thing enabling to aim for things (except for the head) and making it harder to hit in the process. If you tried to use it with your PPCs you would end up with 7 additional tons of targeting computer and 7 slots used up. Not to mention you get this... 3062?
Until we can fix the problem inherent in the system here which actually disadvantages balanced loadouts

But I guess since you are pro you already know all this.

typical tabletop response....

#438 Alienfreak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

View PostJagsmar, on 24 July 2013 - 08:41 AM, said:

Mech Warrior Online or Mech Macro Online

Not trying to start a debate over macros, just saying the changes should not be easily defeated with a macro.

So how does a macro keep your aim perfectly steady on a moving target for 0.5s?
Not mentioning that it will have to bend the reality a bit to still hit the same location if somebody is twisting his torso.

View PostVillz, on 24 July 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

typical tabletop response....

I thought you tried to play the "OMG IT EXISTZ IN DAT TABLETOPZ SO IT MUST BE GUD IN OUR MWO" Card without even looking at the different contraints...

Edited by Alienfreak, 25 July 2013 - 03:21 AM.

#439 Daemir

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:15 AM

The netcode and HSR bend reality for every shot fired already...

#440 KhanHeir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

It's always funny hearing things from the peanut gallery.

You ran an LRM dump mech during the great Lurmaggedon
You ran a Streakcat during the Streakcat depression

Then complained about ECM

Then you built a PPC stalker and other alpha mech builds.

Then complain about heat penalties ( but honestly they can be circumvented in many ways that you have yet to figure out because you overlook them like a blind man. )

And to add hilarity to this entire thing you complained about large pulse lasers getting a heat nerf, When if you read the dev diaries patch notes and followed the game, you would see that PGI is changing the way pulse lasers work soon.

Posted Image

Then again, mack1 is the guy who believes he " personally " had ECM nerfed with BAP. No one else did it guys, it was all him and his little corner on youtube.

31 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 31 guests, 0 anonymous users