Pgi Should Just Ask The Community With Polls!

Suggestion

45 replies to this topic

Poll: Pgi Should Just Ask The Community With Polls! (96 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want more polls over balance stuff from the DEVs / Paul?

1. Yes. (75 votes [78.12%])

Percentage of vote: 78.12%

2. No. (21 votes [21.88%])

Percentage of vote: 21.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Grand Ayatollah Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:37 AM

I just want a competent lead designer.

#22 Throat Punch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 874 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNC, Terra

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:38 AM

View PostWolvesX, on 16 July 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

More polls like the SRM one!

For example:

(x)Do you want to change PPCs to...

... chain damage (50% is transphered to nearby component)
... add heat
... change nothing

SIMPLE AS THAT!

Good for the community -> We get what we want.

Godd for PGI -> Can blame the community.

Greetings
Your free-to-play-player-since-07-16-Wolves

Wolves, normally i think your posts are crazy and that you are way out there S.O.B. But I actually find myself agreeing with this post because at least if PGI gave us poll's that would equate to some form of direct communication with the community as opposed to the no communication we have now. I still think you are crazy sometimes, but now I think you might be crazy as a fox...er wolf. :)

#23 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:52 AM

voting no on a poll about polls felt weird. like the universe will implode from the inherent irony.

#24 Noesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:09 AM

Useful to find community opinion even if not fully representative on some issues. But not all issues should be by commitee or that expectation be put into understanding. As such I would still leave the available "choices" and the outcome very much under PGI/IGP direction.

The test server will ideally help more also as a buffer to explore mechanics and settings with then some tangible feedback from test game play being observed to help confirm things prior to any use in production. This kind of "safety net" with the use of the test server whilst opening more player interests based on opinion like the test server feedback process will hopefully help PGI/IGP gauge more effectively player interests that have some scope for choice.

Edited by Noesis, 17 July 2013 - 08:11 AM.

#25 Woky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

I think that as a community we are too stupid to get a say that's as carte blanche as simply balancing based on pools, also we lack the consistency of complaints to be able to make these sorts of calls. We complained that they buffed a weapon and then when the underlying cause of its crappyness was partially fixed and it became OP as hell we whined. Then when another weapon broke, instead of waiting for its root problem to be fixed we went insane till it got a buff to make it useful. Here's to dreading the day its root cause gets fixed.

#26 CancR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

View PostWoky, on 17 July 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:

I think that as a community we are too stupid to get a say that's as carte blanche as simply balancing based on pools, also we lack the consistency of complaints to be able to make these sorts of calls. We complained that they buffed a weapon and then when the underlying cause of its crappyness was partially fixed and it became OP as hell we whined. Then when another weapon broke, instead of waiting for its root problem to be fixed we went insane till it got a buff to make it useful. Here's to dreading the day its root cause gets fixed.

Seconded..Or since I said that first..third'd

#27 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

View PostMorsdraco, on 17 July 2013 - 05:38 AM, said:

Wolves, normally i think your posts are crazy and that you are way out there S.O.B. But I actually find myself agreeing with this post because at least if PGI gave us poll's that would equate to some form of direct communication with the community as opposed to the no communication we have now. I still think you are crazy sometimes, but now I think you might be crazy as a fox...er wolf. ;)

The reason for that might be:

I make serious posts.
Troll posts.
Ironic posts.
Sarcastic posts.

AND I tend to exaggerate.

#28 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

An earlier, more naive me would have said 'no let the master plan come to fruition' but at this point I'd have to say there is no master plan as far as balance. For balance changes, PGI should at the least take a poll and reserve the right to disagree, but listen to the poll if it is reasonable.

#29 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

I'm sorry, but we're not as smart and clear headed as you think we are.

#30 20k

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

Except these polls would suffer pretty hard from self selection bias

To put that simply, people who dislike the game are more likely to come onto the forums and complain. This means that people who like the current affair won't get their voice fairly heard

I would much prefer that pgi use in game stat tracking and the like to balance the game, rather than asking a bunch of people who are inherently dissatisfied with how the game currently works

#31 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

View PostTechnoviking, on 17 July 2013 - 10:42 AM, said:

I'm sorry, but we're not as smart and clear headed as you think we are.

The poll is 75% yes, so the community is smarter than you think?

View Post20k, on 17 July 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

Except these polls would suffer pretty hard from self selection bias

To put that simply, people who dislike the game are more likely to come onto the forums and complain. This means that people who like the current affair won't get their voice fairly heard

I would much prefer that pgi use in game stat tracking and the like to balance the game, rather than asking a bunch of people who are inherently dissatisfied with how the game currently works

I praised PGI for the good things they made! IN the official forums, even the devs LIKED my posts back in the old days.

BUT I'm very unhappy with the balance of the game. Thats it.

I love the art.

I love the theme.

I love the timeline.

I love the currency system.

BUT I ******* HATE THE ********** UP BALANCE. JUST UNFUN.

#32 Donnie Silveray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 321 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

Yes for the need for more transparency. A lot of PGI's intentions are going muddled and fouled up by assumptions and poor recitation of their plans and ideas. By opening up the process they can further explain their current predicaments and probably wager what would bea good option.

Fundamentally, most of the hard gameplay choices should be left mostly in PGI's control. The vast majority of people have no concept of proper game development or the challenges of making an online game. That bias alone should disqualify a great deal of public opinion on certain topics. However PGI should go at length to discuss these topics and relate to the community the challenges and daily works regarding MWO. Opening transparency would go a long way to helping both sides.

#33 Sean von Steinike

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

Yes, that way we can have more 10 or 20 to 1 against polls like the 3rd PV ones and get ignored and told polls are not representative of the real player base..

#34 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:34 PM

It's a difficult question.

Usually I'd say ''no, a developer with a unified vision of the game they want to create, will deliver a far better game than a continual democratic committee of players''.

However, in PGI's case, experience shows it's not quite so straightforward. There have been some decisions which remain very hard to fathom.

#35 Teralitha

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

I would like to see dev polls instead of player polls.... because player polls most of the time are just dumb and useless.....

#36 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

View PostTeralitha, on 17 July 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

I would like to see dev polls instead of player polls.... because player polls most of the time are just dumb and useless.....

3PV polls...

SRM poll...

#37 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,377 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:47 AM

Wait!! Let me get this straight?

You want the testers of a Beta game to play the game, then vote on changes/concepts based on said gameplay/experience?

Wouldn't that be amazing!

#38 Jasen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:56 AM

Polls are only valid to PGI when the outcome agree's with the balance overlord's ego + pet projects.

When it agrees: PGI: "See, we definitely know what we're doing... everyone agrees."

When it don't: PGI: "We read the minds of the silent majority and polls don't mean anything."

All PGI needs is management changes - scrap the noobs with the big egos that fail at their own game, and bring in... damn near anyone else.

#39 armyof1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:11 AM

View PostAmsro, on 18 July 2013 - 02:47 AM, said:

Wait!! Let me get this straight?

You want the testers of a Beta game to play the game, then vote on changes/concepts based on said gameplay/experience?

Wouldn't that be amazing!

Come on now that would make no sense, because that would mean we would be beta testers for a game that we're playing and testing while it's in beta. That would just be totally wrong.

#40 StandingCow

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,069 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:15 AM

Hopefully with UI 2.0 they will have the ability to poll the userbase that plays the game, not just the userbase that visits the forums. Only downside there is it will be too late since UI 2.0 and release are supposed to be close together, so not enough time to ask the community how it feels about balance before releasing the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users