Do You Like The New Boating Restriction System?

545 replies to this topic

Poll: Do You Like The New System (711 member(s) have cast votes)

Do You Like The New System

1. Yes (370 votes [52.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.04%

2. Voted No (341 votes [47.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 TehSBGX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 911 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:51 PM

Paul's folly is already proving to be overly confusing. Theres no clarification on how heat exactly scales, and when I played earlier I was seeing the same exact builds that were prevalent pre-patch. Homeless Bill's system would of been far easier to understand. The new heat system is an obvious failure.

#62 subgenius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 16 July 2013 - 04:44 PM, said:

Once again, can you explain why you feel this fixed the problem?

I've yet to have anyone who likes the new mechanics explain why they think it is working.

The only thing they say is "Well I see less PPC boats", which could be for a variety of reasons, none of which has anything to do with the new heat mechanics.

It's like you have wax in your ears or something... If you don't want to read our feedback, then stop asking for it. What do you want, a statistical analysis of current build types in rotation that has been notarized by the pope?

I'm playing with the new patch. Running out with a 3ppc gauss RS atlas on alphamode is now producing more heat than I like to field, so I'm getting more mileage out of a 2ppc gauss 2srm6 D model. The patch has changed my optimal build slightly away from high alpha toward a mix of brawling and long range. I'd consider this a great start.

#63 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:57 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 16 July 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

Could be an Elo thing, but I never really did see many 4+ PPC boats. Pretty rarely at best, because they're not very good builds. LOTS of Gauss+2 or 3 PPC's, of course, lots and lots... I suppose (after the patch on the 30th) this will cut down on the Gauss+2PPC1ERPPC build, so everyone will roll Gauss+2PPC+some SRM's.

We'll still see snipefests, because why would you stop?

I was never OVERLY effected by the PPC Sniper builds, even the 3 PPC+Gauss. But once again, like you, I play very casually. And I've spent about half my playing time on a $300 laptop, which did not help my ELO.

But I have seen enough to realize a problem exists.

My view point is very simple.

We are in giant freaking robots. PGI took the time to create a way to have multiple parts to destroy, which I actually think is pretty damn good.

The sad part is, when I play, I feel more like a human in a flak jacket, and most of my mech goes untouched when I play against really good players because they carve up my center torso.

I want to feel like a king of the battlefield, like mechs are supposed to be.

I don't want to worry about peeking out from cover to die 10 seconds later due to pinpoint accuracy in a system adapted from random hit locations on TT.

I think that's not a lot to ask.

View Postsubgenius, on 16 July 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

It's like you have wax in your ears or something... If you don't want to read our feedback, then stop asking for it. What do you want, a statistical analysis of current build types in rotation that has been notarized by the pope?

I'm playing with the new patch. Running out with a 3ppc gauss RS atlas on alphamode is now producing more heat than I like to field, so I'm getting more mileage out of a 2ppc gauss 2srm6 D model. The patch has changed my optimal build slightly away from high alpha toward a mix of brawling and long range. I'd consider this a great start.

So because you decided you didn't like 7 extra heat per alpha, and swapped 1 PPC for 2 SRM 6's, that means things are fixed?

I don't have wax in my ears, you don't understand what we are asking.

Edited by Nicholas Carlyle, 16 July 2013 - 04:58 PM.

#64 subgenius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:02 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 16 July 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

So because you decided you didn't like 7 extra heat per alpha, and swapped 1 PPC for 2 SRM 6's, that means things are fixed?

I don't have wax in my ears, you don't understand what we are asking.

The new heat penalties had a direct impact on my loadout (and I'm not the only one).

What else do you need to hear?

Time to be more specific buddy... enough with the broad "prove to me that it's fixed" demands. They're meaningless if you don't put some more context around it.

If your idea of "fixed" is a redesigned heat system and a change to convergence, well then I think you're going to have to learn to live with disappointment and find another game to play.

#65 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

To further make my point subgenius.

What does this system do when PGI releases a mech that can run 2 Gauss and 2 PPC's?

You do know that they have been purposely gimping assault mechs, and sticking all their ballistics into the same location so this can't happen right?

But the moment they release something like the Devastator, Mauler, King Crap or Annihilator, things get really interesting with regards to this "fix" of theirs.

Also how do you propose this heat system deals with Clan mechs? Every Clan assault and even some heavy's would be able to do a 2 ER PPC/2 Gauss combo.

What about a Clan assault that mounts 2 ER PPC's, 2 ER Large Lasers and 2 Large Pulse Lasers? Keeping in mind how deadly, and the range that the clan varieties have.

Oh and did I mention they can run XL engines without dying to losing their side torsos? So they are all going to be fast as hell.

This is a band-aid fix which didn't fix anything.

View Postsubgenius, on 16 July 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

The new heat penalties had a direct impact on my loadout (and I'm not the only one).

What else do you need to hear?

Time to be more specific buddy... enough with the broad "prove to me that it's fixed" demands. They're meaningless if you don't put some more context around it.

If your idea of "fixed" is a redesigned heat system and a change to convergence, well then I think you're going to have to learn to live with disappointment and find another game to play.

I'm saying that you choosing to gimp your mech by adding two SRM 6's because of an extra 7 heat, is dumb. I'm trying to be nice, but you are literally making a terrible decision and limiting yourself because you are worried about "7" extra heat.

You may "feel" better about it. But I'm not worried about your feelings, in terms of playing the game in the best possible configuration, you gimped yourself.

For the last 2 weeks, I've been playing in a 2 LRM10, 2 MLas Centurion.

I enjoy it, I feel like I do well in it. But I sure as hell don't sit here telling people it's a good idea run one based on my feelings.

When I objectively look at it, I know I'm hurting my team by not dropping in a heavy or assault with PPC's and Gauss Rifles.

#66 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

I suspect the minute No overtakes Yes, your thread will be moved to a "more appropriate" corner of the forums, ranging from K-Town to Barracks.

The Game Balance sub-forum is not for game balance posts! (If they are negative)

#67 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 16 July 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

I suspect the minute No overtakes Yes, your thread will be moved to a "more appropriate" corner of the forums, ranging from K-Town to Barracks.

The Game Balance sub-forum is not for game balance posts! (If they are negative)

Does it really matter? I don't even post to accomplish anything anymore.

I post because I don't have anything better to do while watching Spongebob with my kids.

I LOVED Battletech and Mechwarrior growing up.

I would lay in bed reading a novel with Joe Satriani's Surfing with an Alien as my soundtrack. It was great.

I just have a hard time accepting that they are doing whatever they want without really seeing how it effects the game.

Edited by Nicholas Carlyle, 16 July 2013 - 05:09 PM.

#68 jakucha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 16 July 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

Which is why DarkJaguar's big thread is in K-Town right? It's not, because he doesn't spam vitriolic try-hard threads every 10 minutes. You know, minute differences.

Edited by jakucha, 16 July 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#69 Homeless Bill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

How is this thread still open? Is there absolutely no consistency in moderating policy? Not that I think it should be closed or moved... I'm just surprised.

#70 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 16 July 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

How is this thread still open? Is there absolutely no consistency in moderating policy? Not that I think it should be closed or moved... I'm just surprised.

Uh, when have you ever seen consistency in the moderation here? Egomane is probably the worst volunteer mod I've ever encountered on forums.

Prosperity isn't much better with his need to defend most everything PGI does.

The volunteer mods are a big reason that the general discussion forum no longer exists.

#71 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

This thread will be on an island soon.

For now, enjoy the island the current meta makes me feel like I'm on:

#72 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 16 July 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

Uh, when have you ever seen consistency in the moderation here? Egomane is probably the worst volunteer mod I've ever encountered on forums.

The volunteer mods are a big reason that the general discussion forum no longer exists.

and i thought it had more to do with the fact that GD was a useless cesspit of rage.

#73 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 16 July 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

You're the reason why I wish they had double volunteer mods.

Get over it or whine in the official feedback.

EDIT - not gonna bump your ceaseless whining anymore. Its obvious you ran a boat and are just crying now that its been taken from you. Never knew you cared so much for everyone else.
Oh and BTW the majority do like the changes. Even this poll shows that.

Edited by Nauht, 16 July 2013 - 05:26 PM.

#74 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

Im considering it a failure until ER's and PPC's are lumped together.

Even then, questionable. I don't think it will accomplish what they had intended.

The only good thing so far is the SRM buff.

Edited by Roughneck45, 16 July 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#75 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

View PostNauht, on 16 July 2013 - 05:22 PM, said:

You're the reason why I wish they had double volunteer mods.

Get over it or whine in the official feedback.

What is a double volunteer mod?

And who is whining?

Point me to one post in this thread (aside from the one where I said the moderation sucks, I suppose that could be whining), where I whined.

In fact, find any post where I whine. Good luck.

#76 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 16 July 2013 - 05:22 PM, said:

Im considering it a failure until ER's and PPC's are lumped together.

Even then, questionable. I don't think it will accomplish what they had intended.

???

ER large lasers are already pretty rough with the base heat they produce, and i have seen very few builds that rely on combining the two because the fire characteristics are just too different.

#77 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

View Postblinkin, on 16 July 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

???

ER large lasers are already pretty rough with the base heat they produce, and i have seen very few builds that rely on combining the two because the fire characteristics are just too different.

Right now, if you use 2 PPC's and 2 ER PPC's or 2 PPC's 1 ER PPC and a Gauss Rifle, no penalty.

#78 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 16 July 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

Right now, if you use 2 PPC's and 2 ER PPC's or 2 PPC's 1 ER PPC and a Gauss Rifle, no penalty.

ok that was a reading comprehension failure on my part. i was only thinking about the ER large lasers and forgot about the ERPPC.

#79 Nutlink

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationMountain Man!

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

I'd rather have a dynamic reticule based on torso twist speed and current movement combined with a lower heat threshold and non-converging torso weapons to begin with, but this is at least a step forward in the PUG department.

Edited by BOTA49, 16 July 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#80 KAT Ayanami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

The new system is dumber that what I thought.

It makes no sense that one AC20 is 10 heat, but if you shoot 2, the heat goes up to 40.

LOL. Ballistics doing 40 heat..... crazy....

Not complaining about it, I can shoot one at a time. But the end result is dumber that what I thought it would be.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users