Do You Like The New Boating Restriction System?

545 replies to this topic

Poll: Do You Like The New System (711 member(s) have cast votes)

Do You Like The New System

1. Yes (370 votes [52.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.04%

2. Voted No (341 votes [47.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#361 AntiCitizenJuan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 July 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

If you had enough heat sinks in BT, actually yes you could in fact alpha strike every single turn for infinity until ammo ran out or you took damage to your heatsinks.

Well for better or worse PGI has decided they dont want us to Alpha every time we can, and whether you like it or not, this is the new system we have and I think it's about ********* time the meta shifted.

The game post patch > The game pre patch

#362 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

View PostAntiCitizenJuan, on 18 July 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

Well for better or worse PGI has decided they dont want us to Alpha every time we can, and whether you like it or not, this is the new system we have and I think it's about ********* time the meta shifted.

"Alpha strike" is just a generic term for firing everything you have--whether that consists of a lot of different weapons or just a lot of one weapon doesn't change the definition of the term.

#363 hammerreborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 18 July 2013 - 04:30 PM, said:

Augh!

No, not most of them. ONE of them - the pure PPC stalker.

AC40 jag? Still works fine with PPC's and an AC20, same high pinpoint alpha.

Gauss+2PPC? Still works fine without changes. Gauss+3PPC still works too, though they have to cool longer.

This is why I'm so frustrated by this... these changes are basically worthless, they don't actually stop the actual problem builds, only the couple that people talked about a lot... and even then it doesn't really stop them, but force them to change to better builds with the same high alphas.

If they were better builds then they would be the builds already ran...

And how is changing ac40 to ac40 + 2 ppcs not changing ac40. My head explodes.

#364 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

View PostAntiCitizenJuan, on 18 July 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

You ARE aware that this fix is only half implemented right now, right?
Yes, I'm not crying about people being able to use PPC's and ERPPC's together.

The changes are not worthless, you people are just crying and complaining that the sky is ******* falling down when we have some actual progress being made.
None of us think the sky is falling. We're just frustrated because this is illusory change. It's not real. The real change that's happened isn't because of the heat changes. People just assume it is, and thus erronously assume that the heat changes are working.

MECHS ARENT DESIGNED TO ALPHA STRIKE EVERY ******* TIME WEAPONS ARE OFF COOLDOWN
I absolutely agree. Why, then, do these changes not focus on alpha striking overall? I can drop 60+ point alphas with no penalty, even without abusing PPC/ERPPC changes.

In terms of gamplay: STAGED FIRE > ALPHA STRIKE

WHOA LOOK AT THAT, THATS WHAT WE'RE NOW BEING FORCED TO DO
Except that we aren't.

The only people who are? Those piloting bad mechs (6ppc stalkers), and the 4PPC stalker folks. That's it. Nobody else has to alpha less. I don't see anyone chain firing. I don't even see any difference in the alpha builds - they're all still gauss+ppc builds.

#365 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

The changes are not worthless, you people are just crying and complaining that the sky is ******* falling down when we have some actual progress being made.

MECHS ARENT DESIGNED TO ALPHA STRIKE EVERY ******* TIME WEAPONS ARE OFF COOLDOWN

3 Gauss on a Thunder Hawk
2 PPC an 2 Six Packs on a Thug
2 PPC & 2 Gauss on a Devastator 14 doubles (no it could not fire the 4 mediums also)
2 Ultra 20s on a Hunchback IIC (Single fire it handled the heat just fine.

The Jager40 WAS able to Alpha every time now its been screwed and kicked out of bed cause some people can't handle getting killed.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 18 July 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#366 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

Why can't we alpha just as much, without any problem? Every single one of my 24 mechs still alphas at the same heat it did before. Most of them are high pinpoint alpha mechs, too.

I absolutely do agree that the game is better! But I recognize it's better because of the SRM buff. That's huge, and terribly underrated because of everyone praising the silly heat changes.

#367 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 18 July 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

Yes, I'm not crying about people being able to use PPC's and ERPPC's together.

None of us think the sky is falling. We're just frustrated because this is illusory change. It's not real. The real change that's happened isn't because of the heat changes. People just assume it is, and thus erronously assume that the heat changes are working.

I absolutely agree. Why, then, do these changes not focus on alpha striking overall? I can drop 60+ point alphas with no penalty, even without abusing PPC/ERPPC changes.

Except that we aren't.

The only people who are? Those piloting bad mechs (6ppc stalkers), and the 4PPC stalker folks. That's it. Nobody else has to alpha less. I don't see anyone chain firing. I don't even see any difference in the alpha builds - they're all still gauss+ppc builds.

Jager40s also and that was a heat efficient build!

Also Yeah the SRMs are better ;)

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 18 July 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#368 AntiCitizenJuan

• 1,440 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 18 July 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

3 Gauss on a Thunder Hawk
2 PPC an 2 Six Packs on a Thug
2 PPC & 2 Gauss on a Devastator 14 doubles (no it could not fire the 4 mediums also)
2 Ultra 20s on a Hunchback IIC (Single fire it handled the heat just fine.

2 Gauss has the penalty.
PPC Heat is going up. Any mech using 2 PPCs is going to run hot when they bring PPC heat up.

Lol clantech. Not a problem yet. No point bitching about it now.

Still not seeing why the sky is falling.

#369 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

View Posthammerreborn, on 18 July 2013 - 04:49 PM, said:

Are you arguing that the AC40 jag was that much of a problem? Really?

Yeah, yeah, ac20+2PPC isn't "the same" as AC40. It's better. Not quite as good as AC40 at 200-300m, admittedly because of the projectile speed difference - but it's vastly more flexible, alpha's just as hard or harder (past 270m). Worse, it encourages the Jag pilot to sit back and PPC snipe.

I understand that this is an "anti boating" change, not an "anti sniper change"; but it's NOT an "Anti Alpha" change.

#370 MisterFiveSeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

HOW ARE YOU NOT UNDERSTANDING THIS!?

The point is not that the build is different. The point is (get ready for it):

THE BUILD IS STILL BETTER THAN OTHER BUILDS BECAUSE OF PINPOINT DAMAGE

ALPHA IS MOST EFFECTIVE WAY TO FIRE WEAPONS

THE MOST EFFECTIVE ALPHA IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE BUILD

Heat scale does nothing but make people use a slightly less optimal alpha loadout, it never touched why people use them in the first place.

The "why" is the root of the problem, and is not addressed by this change, or apparently grasped by the majority of people that support this change.

Edited by MisterFiveSeven, 18 July 2013 - 05:13 PM.

#371 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:11 PM

View PostMisterFiveSeven, on 18 July 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

HOW ARE YOU NOT UNDERSTANDING THIS!?

The point is not that the build is different. The point is (get ready for it):

THE BUILD IS STILL BETTER THAN OTHER BUILDS BECAUSE OF PINPOINT DAMAGE

ALPHA IS MOST EFFECTIVE WAY TO FIRE WEAPONS

THE MOST EFFECTIVE ALPHA IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE BUILD

Heat scale does nothing but make people use a slightly less optimal alpha loadout, it never touched why people use them in the first place.

I CAN TALK IN ALL CAPS TOO TO SIMULATE YELLING AND TO TRY AND MAKE A POINT

My wife says she talks in all caps because she likes caps so maybe you have that going for you but in my opinion you need to lay off the nerdrage and take a nap.

Edited by hammerreborn, 18 July 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#372 MisterFiveSeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

View Posthammerreborn, on 18 July 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

I CAN TALK IN ALL CAPS TOO TO SIMULATE YELLING AND TO TRY AND MAKE A POINT

My wife says she talks in all caps because she likes caps so maybe you have that going for you but in my opinion you need to lay off the nerdrage and take a nap.

You can be a child, or you can acknowledge the point that I made.

#373 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

View PostAntiCitizenJuan, on 18 July 2013 - 04:52 PM, said:

2 Gauss has the penalty.
PPC Heat is going up. Any mech using 2 PPCs is going to run hot when they bring PPC heat up.

Lol clantech. Not a problem yet. No point bitching about it now.

Still not seeing why the sky is falling.

I didn't see 2 Gauss on the BS Heat list. 2 PPCs should be handled by 20 sinks or 10 doubles, I also have no problem with them bringing the weapon heat back to standard, BUT the Mechs I listed (- the IIC) were heat neutral high damage alpha strikers 2 Gauss 2 PPC (50 damage) 3 gauss (45 damage) 2 PPC and 2 6 Packs (44 max damage) All at Zero heat build up.

#374 hammerreborn

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

View PostMisterFiveSeven, on 18 July 2013 - 05:13 PM, said:

You can be a child, or you can acknowledge the point that I made.

Was there a point? I couldn't see anything over the SOUND OF YOUR CAPS LOCK NERDRAGE

#375 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

The sky will always be falling until the very vocal people get, or get back, what they want. This is nothing new.

View PostFupDup, on 18 July 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

If you had enough heat sinks in BT, actually yes you could in fact alpha strike every single turn for infinity until ammo ran out or you took damage to your heatsinks.

Only for every 10 seconds.

#376 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:59 PM

View PostMystere, on 18 July 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

Which was as fast as your weapons were available in that environment.

#377 Unbound Inferno

• 1,168 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 July 2013 - 05:59 PM, said:

Which was as fast as your weapons were available in that environment.

Relatively speaking. Its the measure of time to say that amount of damage was dealt.

How fast it fired could be anything inbetween. Autocannons for example were supposed to be extremely fast-firing bursts not rifle shots.

#378 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

View PostMisterFiveSeven, on 18 July 2013 - 05:10 PM, said:

The "why" is the root of the problem, and is not addressed by this change, or apparently grasped by the majority of people that support this change.

Did you consider the possibility that stopping alpha striking was not the goal, but instead reducing the frequency of continuous higher-damage (>40) alpha strikes? How do the changes succeed in that area? (It's a serious question as I haven't done any checking yet).

Edited by Mystere, 18 July 2013 - 06:08 PM.

#379 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

View PostMystere, on 18 July 2013 - 05:56 PM, said:

The sky will always be falling until the very vocal people get, or get back, what they want. This is nothing new.

Actually it was for 5 seconds. Both sides had half of a Turn. So if Our sinks acted like they were supposed to weapons that cycle every 3 seconds would still build heat but the sinks would keep up a touch better.

View PostMystere, on 18 July 2013 - 06:06 PM, said:

Did you consider the possibility that stopping alpha striking was not the goal, but instead reducing the frequency of continuous higher-damage (>40) alpha strikes? How do the changes succeed in that area? (It's a serious question as I haven't done any checking yet).

All my builds do 40+ and can now alpha better than the Jager40.

#380 Aim64C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

That's the dirty little secret about this.

When is it going to be "fully implemented?"

When the dev's say it is?

When will that be?

That's right - after they feel they've used it to 'fix' the game. Since all of these other mechs builds we've been talking about are problems (those in the game currently and those that will almost have to be in the game at a later date) - that means it will never be fully implemented. It will always be a reactive system that requires direct intervention from the developers to address certain builds deemed to need "balancing."

Actual progress?

Actual progress would be Community Warfare. Actual Progress would be some kind of training mode to be giving feedback on for the launch in TWO months.

Actual progress would be some kind of atmosphere or 'story' like feel between drops in a lobby. MAG tried this same format. It was neat, at first, but the concept quickly got old and the game has lost a lot of membership an interest.

Actually, if you -can- fire your weapons and have a target in view that you can hit - you should. Most TT mechs were very well balanced in regards to heat, and could stand and deliver every weapon in their arsenal all they wanted to. A few might have to hold off on firing a PPC or something out of their arsenal to allow themselves to drop back down to nominal heat values.

And that's the fact of the matter. A lot of TT mechs could be run without any 'real' heat buildup.

Granted, those weapons were used over a 10 second 'turn' - but you could also run into sight of a Jenner and dump every weapon in your arsenal into it and only take accuracy penalties based off of the Jenner's speed from its previous turn action. So it was a lot harder for light mechs to dip and dodge out of sight and combat (because a lot of things could move without you getting the chance to counter that move - a benefit of the real-time environment).

The meta hasn't really shifted.

People over-reacted to the patch. On the test server, a team I dropped with went up against a team that had roughly 3 PPC-based stalkers (their main armament was grounded in 3+ PPCs). Guess which side won?

The side with the PPC stalkers. Who were the last mechs left alive with some of the best damage and kill numbers on the board.

Why on the test server? Because people can drop into the test server without affecting their ELO or bragging points. They're going to try some of the builds they were afraid of on the normal servers. Plus - many of the test server players are more seasoned players that have likely a month or two under their belt at minimum.

This isn't going to change the meta very much. Sure - there were fewer insta-deaths - but the overall outcome didn't change. The PPC stalker reigns largely supreme. Those of us who could get close enough to start putting the pressure on to the PPC stalkers were finding little support from our lines that were either equipped for brawling or simply still behind cover because they got an armor blow-through on one of their torso sections from said PPC stalkers.

It's going to go back to PPC stalkers and PPC warrior online. There will be a tad bit of increased room for 'brawling' and other such builds - but only a little. SRMs' main problem is that they suffer from hit detection. I saw more than a couple people die when they 'should' have won, had their SRM damage registered.

You don't take a face full of SRMs with a bright-red CT and keep smiling unless the hit didn't register.

Oh, I would agree with that to some extent.

Remember this conversation two weeks from now.

There's a reason why. For starters - you can only run the PPCs on the torso of a Jaeger (or the arms of the Firebrand - but you're still going to have to drop at least one into a torso section if you want to mount an AC20 in the other arm... at least, I think - I'd have to check the hardpoints on it again).

The other reason is that the build USED to run much cooler (AC40).

That's not the case, anymore. Arm-lock will fix any "torso-versus-arm" issues - though most players can manage without arm-lock on just fine. And the heat penalty to AC20s makes them worse than running an AC20 and PPC together.

You can still pinpoint alpha at 40 points of damage into the rear torso of an unsuspecting mech (or the front torso, if you want a little extra fight out of him/her).

So... why does the AC40 receive a heat penalty

And the PPC/ERPPC x4 receive a heat penalty

... When builds like these can easily circumvent the problem?

"Well, Aim - the system is only partially implemented..."

So how do you implement a fix for it?

What gets the heat penalty - the PPCs or the AC20? Or does the combo, itself, get a unique heat penalty?

To do that means that each of these builds that come up as "too much" have to have their own heat values assigned to them.

Then the question comes up with chain firing. If I chain fire the PPCs before the AC20, does the AC20 receive a different heat scaling - as if I fired 2 AC20s? Or are we under a per-combo penalty system? .... If not... what if I reverse the chain firing order, and finish with a PPC? Does it get the AC20 heat penalty, or does it get a PPC heat penalty?

If chain firing affects the heat buildup differently - then is that "abuse" or "exploits" or simply smart building/piloting?

I'm sure an intelligent, reasonable person like yourself has a very good answer to those questions that will have to be answered for this system to ever be fully implemented.

54 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 54 guests, 0 anonymous users