Do You Like The New Boating Restriction System?

545 replies to this topic

Poll: Do You Like The New System (711 member(s) have cast votes)

Do You Like The New System

1. Yes (370 votes [52.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.04%

2. Voted No (341 votes [47.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#501 Shinikaru

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

View PostDart Nimrod, on 22 July 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

Yah? And what prevented them from seeing all that valid tactics and skill sets before this patch? This patch is just another step away from canon and even reality. If all this major and minor changes means that PGIs want to make their own canon, then I got a bad feeling about it, because I'm starting to seriously doubt that they can do something worthy. Especially compare to MWLL.

Been playing this in closed
https://mwtactics.com/
it already blows away this game for battletech cannon, plus its pretty damn addicting. my only problem with it so far is the length of game time, they can run rather long.

it lacks the in your face laser-boating action this one has, but then again, PGI is removing that part of their game, so I removed myself from it in accordance lol.

#502 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

View PostDart Nimrod, on 22 July 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

Yah? And what prevented them from seeing all that valid tactics and skill sets before this patch? This patch is just another step away from canon and even reality. If all this major and minor changes means that PGIs want to make their own canon, then I got a bad feeling about it, because I'm starting to seriously doubt that they can do something worthy. Especially compare to MWLL.

Probably the fact that PPC boats were simply more effective than any other play style. You know, the reason why this new system was put in place. If Stalkers with 4 PPCs and no LRMs is your idea of cannon, then you and I have different definitions of what cannon is. I enjoy seeing people take builds that were never considered in TT, and I personally don't think that canon should dictate what we see in this game. I like the BT flavor of the mechs and the weapons, but the specific numbers can (and should) change.

#503 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,956 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

View PostDino Might, on 16 July 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

This community is so antagonistic. Maybe part of the problem is that too many adults act like petulant children. I feel bad for paul and the other devs who have to wade through so much bs to have a hope of meaningful communication. Maybe if everyone was respectful and had meaningful posts then more of them would be listened to. We are even to the point of senselessly attacking each other now. Sad.

They're not the community. They're a loud minority of professionally dissatisfied hypocrites who get their jollies by being Very Angry with PGItm all the time. There's really not a lot of them; they're just loud and self-reinforcing.

#504 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,956 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostShinikaru, on 22 July 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

it lacks the in your face laser-boating action this one has, but then again, PGI is removing that part of their game, so I removed myself from it in accordance lol.

And yet, you're still here... Go play your other IGP game, and leave us alone.

#505 Warge

• 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:53 AM

View Postjakucha, on 21 July 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

Actuator crits are confirmed already.

???

#506 jakucha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostWarge, on 22 July 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

???

It was either in a director update or one of the ask the devs, can't remember which one.

#507 Dazzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts
  • LocationSpain next to Gibraltar

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

all the PPC pop tart crying and wailing is truly pathetic. But its a good thing , it means the system is working. The loader they get the more they will cry, when they start screaming it will be perfect.

I for one am enjoying this game again , far more builds far less 4 + PPC snipers

#508 ExAstris

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

This fix isn't perfect, but its a step in the right direction.

Adding Gauss to the PPC/ERPPC penalty box will be a huge step as well. (or making one of them behave very differently than the other such that they do not have the same kind of synergy they do now, but I suspect thats not so simple an option as just lumping them together under the same alpha penalty)

#509 Warge

• 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

View PostExAstris, on 22 July 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

Adding Gauss to the PPC/ERPPC penalty box will be a huge step as well.

:ph34r:
I have better idea: forbid all weapons except SL, Flamer, MG, SRM2, SSRM2 and greatly reduced LRM5 boating. Sounds good?

#510 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

View PostExAstris, on 22 July 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

This fix isn't perfect, but its a step in the right direction.

Adding Gauss to the PPC/ERPPC penalty box will be a huge step as well. (or making one of them behave very differently than the other such that they do not have the same kind of synergy they do now, but I suspect thats not so simple an option as just lumping them together under the same alpha penalty)

So the weapon known for being one of the lowest heat generators in the game is going to be responsible for incurring a heat penalty?

THAT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE WHY DIDN'T WE DO THAT FROM THE START?!?!?!?!?!

#511 blinkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 22 July 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

So the weapon known for being one of the lowest heat generators in the game is going to be responsible for incurring a heat penalty?

THAT MAKES SO MUCH SENSE WHY DIDN'T WE DO THAT FROM THE START?!?!?!?!?!

yes all weapons should be given the exact same features and functions!! the game will be balanced when they all have been properly blended into a generic grey mass of DPS.

#512 Aim64C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

View Postblinkin, on 22 July 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

yes all weapons should be given the exact same features and functions!! the game will be balanced when they all have been properly blended into a generic grey mass of DPS.

In order to balance front-loaded weapon damage with over-time weapon damage, the destruction of individual components by aiming has now been removed.

You can still destroy individual components, but different weapons have a weighted chance to deal distributed or precision damage to a randomly selected component, provided it hits the silhouette of a mech.

This will lead to better balance between PPCs and lasers, for example; or missiles and autocannons.

Let me repeat - individual components will still be able to be destroyed, you just won't be able to aim in order to do so.

A consumable module will be available that will, temporarily, increase the odds of hitting an already damaged portion of a mech.

#513 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

View PostAim64C, on 22 July 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

In order to balance front-loaded weapon damage with over-time weapon damage, the destruction of individual components by aiming has now been removed.

You can still destroy individual components, but different weapons have a weighted chance to deal distributed or precision damage to a randomly selected component, provided it hits the silhouette of a mech.

This will lead to better balance between PPCs and lasers, for example; or missiles and autocannons.

Let me repeat - individual components will still be able to be destroyed, you just won't be able to aim in order to do so.

A consumable module will be available that will, temporarily, increase the odds of hitting an already damaged portion of a mech.

Or you could, you know, Carry a mix of weapons and then you wouldn't have a problem with what the other guy has.

#514 Aim64C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 July 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

Or you could, you know, Carry a mix of weapons and then you wouldn't have a problem with what the other guy has.

It was a satirical post.

#515 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

Hard to tell sometimes on this forum Aim. :ph34r: ;)

#516 Aim64C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 July 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

Hard to tell sometimes on this forum Aim. :ph34r: ;)

I figured my voice among the "whining" crowd had been relatively consistent and prominent enough to trigger a "Wait... Aim is .... oh - he's being sarcastic!"

.... *sigh*

There go my hopes and dreams of being a cyber celebrity.

#517 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostAim64C, on 22 July 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

I figured my voice among the "whining" crowd had been relatively consistent and prominent enough to trigger a "Wait... Aim is .... oh - he's being sarcastic!"

.... *sigh*

There go my hopes and dreams of being a cyber celebrity.

Drop a few more posts. I may have missed your normal 'tude an delivery :ph34r:

#518 Aim64C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 22 July 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

Drop a few more posts. I may have missed your normal 'tude an delivery :ph34r:

lol...

Well, I'm actually working on learning how to edit ARMA II well enough that I can use it as a FRAPS-able test-bed for different ideas and mechanics that I have.

It may not really work too well for simulating game-play in terms of mechs shooting each other (unless I could pull a decent art team together for the mod) - but I could still simulate weapon and launcher behavior as well as how those would interact with the UI.

One of the first ideas I am going to be looking at is actually going to be re-teething my programming skills to show a dynamic heat system that would allow for TT-like penalties to be added. It would also show why you couldn't simply implement TT penalties over the top of the current heat system (as an Atlas that fired a round of missiles and a couple large lasers would run the risk of ammunition explosions, and light mechs would constantly have their speed getting cut to ribbons after firing just a couple lasers).

After doing that with a couple videos with voice-overs outlining that sort of stuff - I believe I might actually make a name for myself.

Actually... a full-blown battletech mod for ARMA 3 would be pretty awesome.

I'd like to incorporate a system similar to bitcoin's - at the completion of each match, the data involving the player tags is encoded into them which allows for distributed tracking of player stats (just like bitcoin nodes track bitcoin transfers) and a completely de-centralized game server architecture with no necessity for a company to host dedicated servers.

But, to be honest, the mathematics of that system go a bit beyond my experience and I'd need a few days of studying it to really get a solid understanding of it. Even then - there's a number of mathematical principles that I'd need to revisit or explore for the first time.

But I'm sure that would be a relatively volatile endeavor until PGI completes their task of running the future of this game into the ground.

... Honestly - I think they should drop the Cry Engine. I know that's insane talk this late in production - but the CryEngine was never meant to handle this kind of game. They should contact Bohemia about licensing the Real Virtuality 4 engine: http://en.wikipedia....tuality_(engine)

Simulating hundreds of square kilometers of terrain. Integrated ballistic simulation, missile simulation, powerful script parsing, partial destruction of vehicles and damage simulation is worked in (though it could be expanded upon)....

You could mod the game; no source-code access necessary; to run MWO.

I would imagine, with PGI's resources, after a month or two to learn the scripting of the engine and setting their art team to re-rig the assets for use in RV4, an additional two months' of work could have them right back to where they are at, now, and with a much more seamless integration of new assets and gameplay objectives.

Many long-standing issues would be inherently resolved by the game. Ballistic simulations include boresight (which ties in to model animations if desired), and various artifacts of ballistics can be simulated. Missile guidance and kinematics are natively supported (though a number of community projects have given ideas on how to greatly improve those).

A number of mods have dialed-up and dialed-back the simulation aspect of the game. Some have made it more arcade-like while others have made it even more hard-core sim-mode.

I could rant for hours about how PGI should have thought much more carefully about what engine to use for their game... but... Ugh...

#519 Erata

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationGoro Company Dropship MK1, Long live Lord Shang Tsung.

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

NO

WHY: It does not harm Heavy/Assault Boats that the change was aimed against.

#520 Dart Nimrod

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationCarver V

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 22 July 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

Probably the fact that PPC boats were simply more effective than any other play style. You know, the reason why this new system was put in place. If Stalkers with 4 PPCs and no LRMs is your idea of cannon, then you and I have different definitions of what cannon is. I enjoy seeing people take builds that were never considered in TT, and I personally don't think that canon should dictate what we see in this game. I like the BT flavor of the mechs and the weapons, but the specific numbers can (and should) change.

I don't understand, why everybody is so obsessed with these PPC mutants? I've never had any serious problem with this freaky build. In fact I don't care about PPC boats at all. The only reason, why I'm so disappointed with this heat scale addition, is that it has made almost useless those LRM boats, which carried four LRM15s, not to mention AC/40 Jagers and Catapults.

Jumping snipers on the other hand, that's what was the real pain in a ***, and I'm glad they've been nerfed. Not much, but enough to stop that disaster, when few Gauss+few ERPPCs+jump jets Highlanders almost guaranteed victory.

65 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 65 guests, 0 anonymous users