Crow's Weapon Modification

16 replies to this topic

#1 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:31 AM

I have tons and tons of ideas...But I am limiting myself to 1 a month. So here's July's.

It’s no secret that I am all about Rare, Unique or Named equipment and believe it should be added to the game. But with all the discussion on balancing changes it occurred to me how we might kill two birds with one stone.

I mean just look at balancing a Medium laser or better yet a Medium Pulse laser. Some people think they are worth it, some don’t. Some people think the Medium pulse laser should work like a machinegun where you just hold it down and it generates heat, others think it should just be a singular burst and you’re done.

The correct answer is: YES!

Why not simply have all of them. After a bit of thought on the matter it occurred to me how much better it would be to simply allow you to customize your own weapons.

Of course this would cost Cbills / MC to do, somewhere along the lines of 1-2 million Cbills or 300 MC per weapon to be modified. A modified weapon still sells for the same as a normal weapon.

This would allow you to custom tailor your weapons a bit more according to how you want to play them.
Modifying a weapon changes its name to both clarify that weapon so others know what it does and to give it a identifier for ease of explanations.

Also this wouldn't just be limited to weapons but some equipment as well, like jumpjets. What if you wanted your jumpjets to be a single use thing that you tap Space Bar and it rockets you up and forward in a single high intensity burst, or what if you want some jumpjets that impart forward momentum at the cost of upward momentum, ect ect.

Now these modifications are not made to make a weapon "BETTER" but more to tailor the weapon towards a persons play style.

Here is a few examples I worked up, I could easily work up more but I didn’t want to spend too much time on this as let’s be honest there is a low chance this would be taken seriously by PGI.

So few things to explain.

These modifications are only for the weapons listed, so a Kali Yama AC20 would not work like the Kali Yama AC2.

CHARGE: Charge means that a weapon has energy bar or charge, you can fire the weapon as much as you want until the energy charge is depleted. Then you have to wait till it recharges. Any time you have Charge you can fire. The Charge time is equal to 2 times the duration.

When Charge is used on an autocannon they can fire as much as they want until the charge is depleted however the charge does not automatically recharge, they must exhaust the charge ammo before the weapon is cycled.

SUSTAINTED: Sustained means there is no cooldown, you fire the weapon as much as you want and just hold down the trigger. However in the case of Autocannon’s you’ll see a bar next to the weapon showing you how “Hot” that weapon is getting and if red line you will jam the gun. Then have to wait for the weapon to clear the jam. So letting off the trigger occasionally to allow the weapon to briefly cooldown.

In the case of energy Sustained the longer you hold down the trigger the more heat you will exponentially begin to generate. Allowing the weapon to briefly cooldown will cool the weapon so you don’t generate too much heat.

Here’s the Examples.

Posted Image

Here we have the Flamer and 3 different ways to balance it.

First way is the ZIPPO that works exactly like a Medium Laser, has a damage, has a duration and has a cycle time.

Next is the HOTSHOT, the hot shot works off a charge. You can deal 3 seconds of charge which means it has 6 seconds to completely recharge the Charge bar. So you can hold it down whenever someone is in range, you let off the trigger it begins to recharge. Easy.

Lastly is the Olympian Flamer, the Olympian flamer trades a bit more heat for a bit more range.

Posted Image

Here we have the Famed Martell Medium Laser. The Martell has a Charge of 3 seconds but suffers a from a dimished maximum range. This allows you to hold down the trigger for a full 3 seconds dishing out a beam of pure energy but at the cost of a 6 second recharge.

Next is the Magna Mk1. The Magna Mk1 does the full 5 damage but at increased heat, cycle time and less maximum range but deals it's full damage in just 0.5 seconds.

Lastly the OMICRON medium laser walks a different path dealing almost 1/2 the damage of a regular laser but also having 1/2 the cooldown time.

Posted Image

The Ceres is the machine gun pulse laser that people have been looking for. It deals 3 damage a sec but also generates 3 heat a sec which with sustained use can begin to exponentially generate additional heat. However it does suffer from decreased maximum range.

The Intek Medium Pulse laser is the burst pulse laser dealing slightly more than 1/2 the damage of a regular pulse laser but dealing that damage in just 0.35 secs with 1/2 the cycle time allowing you to Zap Zap Zap.

Lastly the Valiant Medium Pulse laser has slightly more damage and slightly longer cycle time for a Effective Range increased to 270m as well as a Maximum range of 270m making it the shortest ranged medium pulse laser, but also the longest effective range medium pulse laser.

Posted Image

The Whirlwind-L AC2 is the Autocannon machinegun. Hold down the trigger and it sends out a continuous stream of bullets. Every 5 rounds uses 1 shell, just don't hold it down for too long as you could jam the gun. Due to the size of the shells the Whirlwind has decreased maximum range.

The Federated AC2 deals it's damage in a Charge. Holding down the trigger to burn out the chambered ammo, dealing 6 damage every second for up to 2 seconds but once the charge is exhausted you have to wait 4 seconds to reload.

Lastly the KALI Yama Autocannon modification turns your AC into almost a laser Autocannon. The weapon has both a duration and a cycle time working exactly like your average laser but it eats 3 times the ammo per firing.

-----

Like I said I could make up more of these but I didn't want to invest too much time in it.

Tell me your thoughts I'm interested in seeing if people like this idea as a good way to address a lot of the balancing issues.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 19 July 2013 - 04:33 AM.

#2 Phoenix Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:35 AM

I love the idea of three different variants for weapons. However, if PGI wants to make MWO an e-sports title, this could become a balancing nightmare. I thnk this could become a reality if they added more personnel to the balancing team. I don't see this happening until after launch when the major game features are complete. Overall, this is a great idea!

#3 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:49 AM

View PostMaverick01, on 19 July 2013 - 05:35 AM, said:

I love the idea of three different variants for weapons. However, if PGI wants to make MWO an e-sports title, this could become a balancing nightmare. I thnk this could become a reality if they added more personnel to the balancing team. I don't see this happening until after launch when the major game features are complete. Overall, this is a great idea!

The Actual DPS of the weapons is almost all the exact same (if it's not, it has a significant penalty to balance it), It's just a different way the weapons deal that same DPS.

Most of them do Less DPS than their original counterparts but makes up for it by front loading some of the damage.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 19 July 2013 - 05:51 AM.

#4 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

I like the idea of having this kind of weapon diversity.

#5 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

Ive always loved this idea since closed beta. My hope is that PGI can include a salvage system with odds of salvagaing gear from enemies or as battle rewards, etc, or buy it, or faction loyalty, etc.

#6 Squarefox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:06 AM

Great.

#7 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

I've posted similar suggestions quite a while back. It was a tad different rules and CW would need to be implimented so you could try and farm components and or purchase full items on the market. The rules were that damage could never increase above the maximum i.e medium laser could only do a maximum of 5 damage. So cool down would have to stay the same. However you could alter heat / Range / ammo. So you could have a PacTel Medium laser do only four damage but max range increase to 640 vs the 540. or a Zytek med laser do 5 damage but only cost 2 heat and have a max range of 340.

#8 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

very cool h ope to see seomthing like this in the future.

#9 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

View PostPropagandaWar, on 22 July 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

I've posted similar suggestions quite a while back. It was a tad different rules and CW would need to be implimented so you could try and farm components and or purchase full items on the market. The rules were that damage could never increase above the maximum i.e medium laser could only do a maximum of 5 damage. So cool down would have to stay the same. However you could alter heat / Range / ammo. So you could have a PacTel Medium laser do only four damage but max range increase to 640 vs the 540. or a Zytek med laser do 5 damage but only cost 2 heat and have a max range of 340.

Exactly.

Well somewhat. I tried to avoid messing with the DPS of the weapon too much but with the following stipulations

If a weapon had more DPS than the generic version it was because it required more "UPTIME" in other words staying on target. If a weapon had less DPS it was because it frontloaded the damage for less "UPTIME"

Here's hope'n they take it under advisement, or better yet they just flat out implement it..

#10 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:41 PM

THIS would be freakin AMAZING I hope they put stuff like this in game. I was going to suggest that they have a balance between low DPS with a high alpha front load, and higher DPS with sustained constant fire but at shorter ranges. That sort of balance. Gosh I wish they actually payed attention to this stuff in the suggestions.

#11 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

It would only be a balancing nightmare in terms of making every single variant viable, so long as one variant of each type of weapon is considered viable, it would work as far as competetive gaming. for pub play minmaxing viability is less important if not still desirable.

I like the idea if not simply because it lets us compare and contrast different weapon styles in actual gameplay. I do disagree with adding crits/tons to weapons that shouldn't be there, balance it with output!

Edited by Monky, 09 August 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#12 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

Isn't something like this inbound? I've seen somewhere the devs have mentioned that there will be differences like say between a Pontiac AC20 and a Imperator AC20....

#13 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:59 PM

View Postcdlord, on 09 August 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

Isn't something like this inbound? I've seen somewhere the devs have mentioned that there will be differences like say between a Pontiac AC20 and a Imperator AC20....

Lol, you must be referring to my old post here: http://mwomercs.com/...eedback-thread/

Other than that I can't seem to find where any of the Developers mentioned named equipment.

View PostMonky, on 09 August 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

It would only be a balancing nightmare in terms of making every single variant viable, so long as one variant of each type of weapon is considered viable, it would work as far as competetive gaming. for pub play minmaxing viability is less important if not still desirable.

I like the idea if not simply because it lets us compare and contrast different weapon styles in actual gameplay. I do disagree with adding crits/tons to weapons that shouldn't be there, balance it with output!

Actually you'd still only ever need to balance the primary weapon, the others are simply formula's based upon the main weapon depending on how they deal damage. So tweak the primary weapon in damage all of the named variants go slightly up in damage.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 09 August 2013 - 04:03 PM.

#14 Boyinleaves

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:53 AM

Seriously awesome post Crows. I love the concept, and hope that alternative manufacturers for weapons get implemented. The bigger the sandbox, the better IMO.

As far as balancing the game goes, it's next to impossible to do anyway, but doesn't the fact that everything is accessible to everyone negate the need to get every weapon balanced against each other? If there is a standout loadout, such as Gauss+2PPCs, just let all of the competitive players use that for their competitions. It's boring, sure, but if everyone is doing the same thing, I don't really see how it can be unbalanced. Making maps asymmetrical causes more balancing issues than differing weapons ever will.

I'm not against weapons being balanced, per se, but I would prefer to see a greater degree of controlled variability added to the game to promote alternative 'Mech choices, loadouts and strategies, particularly when it comes to cool ideas such as this.

Balance also doesn't happen in a vacuum; for example, it's pretty clear that for a lot of builds and tactics, one of each of the suggested weapons will be the clear preference, not that this really matters though.

Applaud the effort you've put into this.

#15 Chembot

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 11 August 2013 - 05:09 PM

Can I also suggest that each manufacturers model also have different sound effects? Perhaps sample the different flamer/laser/auto cannon sounds from the previous mechwarrior games to add to the weapons in game difference.
The MW2 autocannon sounds were really beefy and had a really nice thumping feel to them.
And I really loved the stream of missiles in that game as well and their accompanying SFX..
As per your suggestion, let's also have difference in the missile systems. Some shoot a cluster swarm while other models shoot a stream.

Edited by Chembot, 11 August 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#16 mekabuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:23 AM

love it

#17 HammerSwarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 754 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:45 AM

I likewise posted a similar suggestion awhile back and while I don't agree with every suggestion you made the idea has it's merit.

I specifically like the idea of this for something like jump jets where they could in fact program different trajectories for the personal decision making of the player.

Ballistics that fire off a burst rather than a single round for a slight range bonus?

Missiles that track differently. low arcing trajectory, high arcing trajectory, low with an arced finish, low altitude missiles.

I think they could change things up without changing the mechanics terribly or unbalancing things.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users