#41 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

View PostCitrusVomit, on 22 July 2013 - 08:20 AM, said:

Op here, ok sorry to disappoint you Warner, but i ended up getting the CN9-Al, i just had enough of the trials.
And oh boy! So this is how it feels to have fun in this game? Looks like sniping is my thing, just had one with 500 dmg, and my usual one is around 200.

-I fitted it like this:
I really like the ErPpc/LL combo, the speed is meh as hell, and i had just no idea what to put in the right torso.

The build is kind of hot, so i put as many dhs as i could, I know that the Lrm10 is kind of a waste, but i actually find it making some dmg.

I would appreciate any help you could throw me with this build :P After i get better at the game im sure going to try out the Cat 3D, and well the K2 looks fun as it is the ultimate sniper chassis, right?

I ran something similar on my usual AL.
CN9-AL
Instead of LL/ERPPC combo, I ran 2 LL, an extra LRM5 and a 255XL engine(extra 20kph).
Alternatively, replace both LL with a single ERPPC and upgrade the LRM5 to LRM10.
Module-wise; take target decay and info gathering.

This build might not look spectacular, but the weapon loadout allow it to engage at any range and keep DPS going. The better speed also allow you to disengage to cool off.
The downside is the XL engine makes you a bad zombie.

#42 CitrusVomit

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:18 AM

I would love going faster, but i can't afford Xl255, and while im not loosing side torsos in Cent as much as i used to in Hunch 4SP (like in every game lol), but i am kind of scared of using Xl engines while im this fresh at this game.

As for build, i tempered with mine, switching the LRM10 for 2 LRM5, and added another DHS. I also tried switching 2x LRM5 for 2x SRM4, and well when i had SRM,s i was like damn i could use now some LRM's, and when i get flanked with LRM's, yeah the opposite :/
I actually found LRM's being useful for shooting targets that usually don't have AMS, like catapults, meds and slow scouts.

Also, i was actually thinking about switching 2x Medium lasers in torso, for 2x Small lasers or Small Pulse but i dont know the difference between them. I use them when something gets close to me, what i usually try to avoid while standing at the back, and with this crappy engine i just cant run, so its dish the most dps i can before i die.
So yeah, i dont feel like i need the extra range, and i could use some less heat as i feel most of my dmg comes from LL and ERPPC anyways.

So it looks kind of like this:

Will it make any sense switching the torso ML for something else?

#43 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:33 AM

@Alantan

The 4SP you can turn into a long range mech if you swap out the SRMs with LRMs. A pair of LRM10s is all you can fit with the 5 lasers. The HBK-4J is a better LRM mech because when you fire the LRMs they come out 10 at a time instead of 6 (for the SP) at a time. Obviously if you put in LRM15s, they come out 10 then 5.

The Trebuchet is similar except the LRMs come out 15 at a time.

#44 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

View PostCitrusVomit, on 23 July 2013 - 06:18 AM, said:

I would love going faster, but i can't afford Xl255, and while im not loosing side torsos in Cent as much as i used to in Hunch 4SP (like in every game lol), but i am kind of scared of using Xl engines while im this fresh at this game.

As for build, i tempered with mine, switching the LRM10 for 2 LRM5, and added another DHS. I also tried switching 2x LRM5 for 2x SRM4, and well when i had SRM,s i was like damn i could use now some LRM's, and when i get flanked with LRM's, yeah the opposite :/
I actually found LRM's being useful for shooting targets that usually don't have AMS, like catapults, meds and slow scouts.

Also, i was actually thinking about switching 2x Medium lasers in torso, for 2x Small lasers or Small Pulse but i dont know the difference between them. I use them when something gets close to me, what i usually try to avoid while standing at the back, and with this crappy engine i just cant run, so its dish the most dps i can before i die.
So yeah, i dont feel like i need the extra range, and i could use some less heat as i feel most of my dmg comes from LL and ERPPC anyways.

Yeah, the XL engine will add another 4mil cbill to the build.
With 2 LRM5 you will really have to pick your target, as AMS will virtually stop everything from reaching target.

Slaz and SPlaz are short range weapon(90m), they have 1/3 the range of a normal medium laser so you need to be very close to target to use them. They are more suited for fast hit-and-run mechs, or having obscene number of them on your mech. (I take 6 Slaz on my BJ-1DC for point defend, and have seen 1 madman taking 8 SPlaz on a BJ-1X)
Good thing with them is they fires every 2 seconds, compare to medium laser's 3 seconds.

SRM need some practice to use, as you need to learn to lead your shots to factor into travel time and target's movement. Also they are short range and cannot hit anything beyond 270m, you will either need the speed to get close or the amour to survive fighting close quarter.
I would recommend using SRM only on fast centurion build for now.

CN9-AL
I try tinkering around with your build and come up with this.
I drop the 2 Mlaz and move the LLaz to the center torso, add on AMS w/ 1t ammo, and give you 2 point short of max amour.
You can remove the AMS and put in another ton of LRM ammo if you like, with .5t left to install C.A.S.E. to protect that ammo bin.

I choose LLaz over 2 MPlaz because in a panic, you can easily overheat and shutdown with the later. Also avoid using the ERPPC in this situation as it will make things even worst.
You best chance is still sticking with the big guy in the team and shot whatever he is shooting. If something got close, at least you have him watching your back and adding his firepower to swat that gnat.

You lost about 10 point of alpha damage, but you will have better cooling, bit more amour and an AMS umbrella of your own.
I also shift some back amour to the front for better protection due to having to expose yourself more often to use that CT LLaz.

*correction on small laser range

Edited by xengk, 23 July 2013 - 10:38 PM.

#45 warner2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

View PostCitrusVomit, on 23 July 2013 - 06:18 AM, said:

If you don't yet have funds for a better engine (275 STD is the one to have for the SRM Centurion, 260 STD is also a popular one to use in a medium) I would focus that build a bit more like this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...797a76ff1cd216c

No LRMs, just concentrate at staying at 500 - 600m away and sniping with your 2 PPC. Use the ML if you are forced to brawl or if you lose your PPCs. That's still a pretty tough 'mech to use though.

#46 CitrusVomit

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

I appreciate the help guys, but the thing except the heat at close range, that annoys me the most is the slow speed! I have enough money to buy any XL or STD engine, but the thing with XL is that ill spend all my money on it, and as i like my Cent i don't want to get stuck with it forever.

I had some problems, how to fit everything i want with the most common STD250, that ill be able to use in the future.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...44e9a44da3d8e18

I changed my mind, LRM5 are useless with all those mechs with AMS. With mine 2xLRM5, AMS destroys completely the first volley, and most of rockets from the second. Opportunities with a solo mech wo AMS, are too uncommon to make using it worth.

As i tend to stick in the far back i usually get flanked by scouts, and thats annoying as hell, its tough to hit them with mine 2xSRM4's. I heard that SSRM's are the ultimate lights killers, are 2xSSRM's worth using?
And i swapped 2xML for 1xMPL for heat efficiency, I use the torso lasers only when dealing with scouts and when i get flanked, so i dont need range, and for dmg i think the most of it comes from ERPPC and LL, as its easier to hit with them that weapons in torso.

tl'dr: wtf adds Ferro-fibrous armor? In the description it says 12% protection for every tone, but i don't see that anywhere! And are 2xSSRM's worth mounting against scouts?

#47 warner2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

The FF armour description is confusing and has it's roots in BattleTech (I guess you could look this up if you wanted).

In simple terms all that matters in this game is that switching to FF armour uses up 14 slots and saves you some tonnage, as you know as you've put FF on your Centurion there. There's no more to it than that, you don't get any more or less protection. You only use FF if you've already got endo-steel and still have some spare slots in which case go for it and save a little tonnage.

SSRMs used to be light hunters since they always targeted the CT. Now they spread damage all over the 'mech, they target the arms, legs, side torsos, CT, head, the works! The generally seem a little weak right now as they light your target up all over like a Christmas tree.

#48 CitrusVomit

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Yeah i did look for it, and i found an old thread from 2012, i thought its outdated because the description DOES say it adds protection. Kind of ******** 14 critical slots for just 1ton of space, but whatever.

Well that would be all the info i wanted, thx for the feedback.

#Edit: If anyone will be interested in the future, after like 100 games in AL i found the perfect build for me.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fd76f44e03cab9b

If anyone wants, with Ferro armor you can take 1 ton more SRM ammo, or DHS.

**** the torso lasers they were only heating me up. For close range im using LL with SRM's, also i noticed ppl tend to back off after getting shoot with these. Ams is necessary, as i bloody hate dying from LRM's, it feels like an insult to me. My dmg is now oscillating around 300, with jumps to 400/500 :D
I just feel like in Close range those SRM's help me more than 2x ML, also they build up less heat.

Edited by CitrusVomit, 27 July 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#49 Shifty Eyes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 120 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 12 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

I've always enjoyed using Cicadas as fast snipers. They can easily mount PPCs, high-caliber ACs and even Gauss while maintaining great/decent speed. High torso-mounted weapons help with convergence and "peeking" over terrain to land shots.

#50 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

I'm toying trying this as a long range Cent build. CN9-A, with 3 LRM5s, Tag, a UAC5 3 tons of ammo for each, and an ML. AMS makes up for a little less armor (as you're trying to stay at range anyway), and it's a little slower than I normally like, but the stock 200 engine gives you durability in case you lose a side torso while still making you as mobile as some heavies. You could throw on an XL. A 200 XL lets you throw on artemis or upgrade one of the launchers to an LRM10 and still have a bit more room, or drop the LL and throw on a large laser and/or put a little armor back on. A 225 XL saves you 2 tons (1 for the engine, one for the HS you don't need to mount), or you could go XL265 straight or 255 and throw on a half-ton of armor.

#51 BigBadVlad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 242 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

This is similar to the CN9-AL I currently run around in from time to time.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b62a6bdba264464

You could ditch the AMS and go with a dual SRM4 with 2Tons ammo and a touch less armor.

With the added heat to the PPC's lately the ERLL has gotten better I think. The pair do only 2 less damage, 18 total, and 7 heat less, plus saves 4 tons.

If you want to run an XL in a Cent then I'd just buy the CN9-D for leveling purposes.

Edited by BigBadVlad, 15 August 2013 - 08:56 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users