91 replies to this topic

#61 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

View PostWarMonkey14, on 26 July 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

you know what doesn't make sense? why you think lrms are fine and loads of people think they arn't.

killing a guy and doing damage to enemy team are two different things.

telling me to play a different game does not address anything.

good to know issues in this game will never be fixed because we all keep just saying other people are straight up wrong (guilty of this myself lol)

Where are these load's of people?

Go read this thread, I'd say at best it's evenly split.

And most of the people who think they are fine are explaining their thought process and trying to help the people who have trouble with them.

The people who have issues with them are like you. Which is unfortunate.

#62 Xandre Blackheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationIn the "cockpit".

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

View PostTycho von Gagern, on 23 July 2013 - 01:23 AM, said:

Meanwhile, the enemy is on the move, gaining position, while you're not sniping/brawling/or whatever it is you logged in to do tonight. The value of an LRM volley goes beyond damage. Nothing like Betty nagging them about incoming to gum-up the enemy.

Suppression is often overlooked as one of the primary benefits of LRM's

The fact that you have a wad of damage incoming that takes several seconds to get to you means that you have to make a decision to duck and cover, thus neutralizing your mech for critical seconds, or to grin and bear it, eating the damage.

I love to set aside a light single launch 5 lrm tube on a missile mech to just spam lock on messages and watch people run around and cluck like chickens when they hear thunder.

#63 HIemfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

View PostXandre Blackheart, on 26 July 2013 - 09:49 PM, said:

I love to set aside a light single launch 5 lrm tube on a missile mech to just spam lock on messages and watch people run around and cluck like chickens when they hear thunder.

Tempted to do this with a commando or a jenner just for the hell of it.

#64 DodgerH2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

View PostHIemfire, on 26 July 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

Tempted to do this with a commando or a jenner just for the hell of it.

LRMmando was my very first mech. You can actually squeeze 3 LRM 5 onto a 2D with a few tons of ammo if you sacrifice a bit of speed and/or armor. It even can mount a TAG in its arm.

#65 Shadowdusk

• PipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 80 posts
  • LocationIn the depths of nowhere.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:03 AM

Bull. LRMS are too OP. LRMS are too Strong. LRMS need to be nerfed seriously. You get three missle boats in a game with someone running tag or narc and its easy mode. I am seriously getting tired of these LRMS Crap. It feels like they are cheating.

#66 Sean von Steinike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:25 AM

LRMs seem ok to me. -shrugs-

#67 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:59 AM

View PostWarMonkey14, on 26 July 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

basic story: both teams played pop and shoot. except they out dpsed us every volley because of the lrms even after we took cover after shooting.

See this is the part that doesn't make sense. LRMs are absolutely horrid at 'pop up' fighting. In fact any situation where they are used as indirect fire weapons they start to do less damage. They are actually best as a direct fire weapon where you have a long lock on time. Target Decay modules can help a bit with this, but really...

Your team did everything wrong. Canyon is a great map to flank an enemy on. I'd have pulled back and split the fastest part of my group to swing wide and around and hit them from behind if at all possible. The other teams lights needed to die if they were seen (because they would act as LRM spotters). Though I'm curious what sort of crazy Jenner build could die as fast as you claim, as a Cicada pilot I know I'd live through that and the Jenner is often slightly harder to hit which makes up for having slightly less armor.

View PostShadowdusk, on 27 July 2013 - 01:03 AM, said:

Bull. LRMS are too OP. LRMS are too Strong. LRMS need to be nerfed seriously. You get three missle boats in a game with someone running tag or narc and its easy mode. I am seriously getting tired of these LRMS Crap. It feels like they are cheating.

How exactly is the weapon with the most counters and least accuracy in the entire game... OP? I can count on one finger how many times I've died to LRMs in over 500 games. I literally stopped using LRMs on all my mechs because frankly I could do better with almost any other weapon in the game.

#68 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:03 AM

No.

#69 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

View PostShadey99, on 27 July 2013 - 02:59 AM, said:

See this is the part that doesn't make sense. LRMs are absolutely horrid at 'pop up' fighting.

The only time you can do pop ups is if you have JJs, the enemy is already in the open and your friendlies are spotting them. Start the lock, JJ up, fire off the LRMs mid air with your own tag on them and then watch the fireworks as you fall back down and retro at the end.

I've done it with my treb to fairly good effect on heavy things that were engaging my teams main battleline of brawlers. The only problem is that it is rather slow so isn't something you should be doing all game.

#70 Munk8

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

LRM's are perfectly balanced, fun to use, and still deadly.

#71 Craeshen

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:31 AM

The big issue now seems to be a massive uptick in the number of ecm systems in use as in a team of 8 5 of them will be running around with ecm and your own team seems unwilling to switch their ecm to counter ecm mode.

#72 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

View PostWarMonkey14, on 26 July 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

why you think lrms are fine and loads of people think they arn't.

Hey man, there is now a post asking if people think LRM's are overpowered, with a poll.

Where are the "loads of people" you were talking about? Hmm?

Might want to check it out.

#73 Lefteye Falconeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 352 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

LRMs are in a very good place right now. Definitely a "team" weapon. You need spotters that communicate targets to you in real time (via voice), but even in random public matches they serve as a good area denial weapon, they can pin down a team and forcing them to go or stay where you want them. They can be pretty powerful, but they are counterable in more than one way (although not by every mech and not necessarily in a one on one situation). This is how every weapon should be.

So yes, leave LRMs alone and deal with the fact that not everything has to work according to your preference or your favourite playstyle.

Edited by Lefteye, 27 July 2013 - 09:59 AM.

#74 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

As we have one thread saying that they're Op and another saying they're UP I guess that means they must be about right.

#75 WarMonkey14

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 27 July 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

Hey man, there is now a post asking if people think LRM's are overpowered, with a poll.

Where are the "loads of people" you were talking about? Hmm?

Might want to check it out.

i did. i guess i'll be suck with this **** balance that the majority wants. nice to know that lrms will outdps everything. i'll be playing TT (would play mw tactics, but the card system is so stupid i cant even fathom a cuss word to describe how much it makes tactics suck total balls)

#76 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

View PostWarMonkey14, on 27 July 2013 - 01:03 PM, said:

i did. i guess i'll be suck with this **** balance that the majority wants. nice to know that lrms will outdps everything. i'll be playing TT (would play mw tactics, but the card system is so stupid i cant even fathom a cuss word to describe how much it makes tactics suck total balls)

The only time they are OP is if the enemy sits in the open, does not move for cover and does not use any of the counters (ECM / AMS).

And guess what... in that situation *ANY* weapon would destroy the target quickly.

Try moving, try getting to cover. You will find they suddenly do not kill you so quickly.

#77 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

Three Missile boats meet one ECM enemy mech. Yep. Guy running TAG better know how to stay low at that point because he has to LOS to keep anything under ECM targeted for those boats.

#78 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

View PostNgamok, on 29 July 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

Three Missile boats meet one ECM enemy mech. Yep. Guy running TAG better know how to stay low at that point because he has to LOS to keep anything under ECM targeted for those boats.

Well, if those boats aren't carrying TAG themselves, they're doing it wrong (outside of the Cat A1). Also, if they're outside the range of their TAG, they're doing it wrong. Shooting LRMs from 900m out is not effective use of them.

#79 Trynn

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Its funny, I just finished posting on a player that is up in arms about how powerful they are and should be nerfed.

bottom line, they are fine where they are, but I would not object to reitroducing R& R

#80 KuruptU4Fun

• 1,748 posts
  • LocationLewisville Tx.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

View PostTrynn, on 29 July 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

Its funny, I just finished posting on a player that is up in arms about how powerful they are and should be nerfed.

bottom line, they are fine where they are, but I would not object to reitroducing R& R

Maybe "rearm" should be removed, but keep repair costs. Unless PGI offers alternate ammo (like is noted in the rulebooks). I hated R&R, but I did see more of a variety of mechs because of it (at first). Let skill determine if your good enough to run an assault mech and keep your repair costs down. If not then you need to run lighter mechs until you get that experience. Maybe even tack it to you ELO score. The lower the score, the lower the repair costs?

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users