796 replies to this topic

#481 Fire for Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 583 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:21 PM

They are ugly and not really effective. Since Battletech is also mobile warfare, a Mech that has a speed even slower than the creeping Atlas is more a liability than an asset.
In the tabletop I really loved the urbanmechs (if the other side had em) paperthin armor and limited mobility is always great if thats what the enemy has...
Since not all combat is in cities most poeple would become quit sad if they are easily flanked and subsequently ripped apart be a single volley of an enemy mech. In other words in most environments most people will be unable to make effective use of the trashcan.
I also like the urbanmech when I GM, a player that was for any reason annoying and had done something (such as walking over the commanding officers car ^^) that warrented a punishment, he was demoted to trashcan duty. Most were very disciplined after one or two battles in an urbanmech ;-)
If you wish to drive a trashcan thats ok but then it has to look like a trashcan with a complete trashcan skin ...

Edited by Fire for Effect, 27 June 2012 - 11:22 PM.

#482 BlackAbbot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationSecret UrbanMech Production Facility

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:48 PM

Don't be mad, bro, just because you can't Urbie. I'm sure when the Clans come out you'll be able to get a mech with enough of a tech advantage you can win in.

#483 Fire for Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 583 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:28 AM

I aint mad urbie is best being on the other side of the battle takes up space that could be used by an otherwise dangerous mech such as a locust ;-)

In open terrain an urbie is just dead meat. I ment scrap metal...

No matter who pilots it. Since I used it quite often as punishment and filler (just to make a lance/company complete)in boardgame campaigns I have never seen a single player who was able to use it and survive in open terrain. Most of the time it was quickly hounded to death by fast scouts or killed by a few long distance volleys... sometimes he hided and could be ignored for most of the battle since he could not get where the action was and intermittent terrain prevented it from being able to hit something. It is safe to assume that most battles are not in cities so your urbie is most of the time just a victim of LRMs or fast scouts since hiding places are scarce and you are easy to flank.

I would like to see the trashcan in the tutorial as target practice ^^

I really like the comic at the beginning of the thread with the sunglasses 8-)

Still most people will be very unhappy with an urbie in their team.

I do not like the clan era, 3025 was best.

#484 Knight2pwn

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan, Canada

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:36 AM

I can't deny my love for that scrappy little mech and its BIG auto cannon. I luvs it, all 96 armour points of it.

#485 BrokenDog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMiddlesex(UK)

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:12 AM

You've got to love the little guys!
If the Urbie is in the game, it won't be my first choice, but I would love to do an urban engagement in one!

#486 Eyclone

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

I remember running an urbie In light Solaris matches, lots of machine guns, stand still, crouch DAKAKAKAKAKKAKA. not very effective but it sure makes nice sound

Edited by Eyclone, 28 June 2012 - 09:18 AM.

#487 buckaroo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:52 AM

To-do list for tonight:

1) Launch MechCommander 2
2) Equip a bunch of Urbies with SRMs
3) Start FRAPS.
4) DFA as many Atlases as possible.
5) Post Video.

#488 Fire for Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 583 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

Better use Megamek, since Mech commander (2) is a bit removed from the original ruleset :)

Still fun Mech commander I agree.

#489 Remus d Estroy

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

I was so far lucky - never been forced to use an Urban myself.
Yet it was good fun to shoot them apart for a little salvage and Money. Well at least in our RolePlay Tabletop group it was.
Depending on its speed and versatility it could be a serious troublemaker / annoyance depending on the goal of the game.

#490 Marak Varn

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

I fully support the inclusion of this iconic mech. The only problem is that I know I'll immediately berserker charge every single one I see while screaming "Die Ringo!!"

But that's just because I've read CAT Total Warfare.

#491 Sky walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 800 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:46 PM

I support Urbie as long as there's R2D2 skin for it!

#492 Davoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 618 posts
  • LocationFending off an entire RCT of Cappellans with a lance of Atlai

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

I wasn't a huge fan of the urbie, till i realized after trying to kill a bunch that they spread damage evenly. So i slapped a CUAC10 and assorted lasers on one.
It works like a charm.
It has my vote.

#493 Fire for Effect

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • Mercenary Rank 5
  • 583 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

View PostSky walker, on 29 June 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

I support Urbie as long as there's R2D2 skin for it!

that could be a copyright issue but I am sure a trashcan skin would be available (it is after all a great camouflage in the city....)
only problem a permanently stained windscreen since people always try to throw their banana peels into the trashbin...

#494 Stangman

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 34 posts
  • LocationThe real northern California

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

+1

#495 mechsae

• PipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 51 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 01 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

The urbanmech is ment for a defensive role. In open Terrain the thing doesn't go charging out, you retreat at that point and should never of been deployed unless your unit was retarded or desperate. They were designed for defensive opperations, not to be this king of the open battlefield. The urbanmech thrives with cover and terrain. You drop passive, you move through the valleys of hills, in thick forests, or about buildings and suprise people with a light 'mech packing a big punch.

Besides, locust rush is countered by keeping together, standing still, and unloading into the lights.

#496 InPhase

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 10:22 PM

Go play star wars and and get your fill of trashcan automation.

I'd rather they invest the time/efforts/resources into something at least a little useful, like say a deliverable Gold version.

#497 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

Heck yes i want my Urbie! Walking trashcan with a cannon FTW!

#498 IronGoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 534 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII, trying to scam hip actuators from that seedy Liao Rep...

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:07 PM

i vote yes ONLY if all urban mechs in game are cannon only varients with no mods allowed...
then we'd see who wants an urbanmech and who wants to recreate a boat from mech3/4 :D

#499 LegendSlayer

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

yes 4 Urbanmechs.

#500 Dymitry

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationSibko

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:28 AM

WE WANT THE URBIE URBIE URBIE!!! WE WANT THE URBIE URBANMECH!

20 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 20 guests, 0 anonymous users