#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

So, anyone else notice how, aside from the Annihilator, pretty much all the Wolfs Dragoons' exclusive mechs largely underwhelm, or outright suck?? (Hoplite? Falcon? Hornet and Firefly? Even the Marauder II has laughable firepower for it's weight, and the mighty Annihilator is slow as molasses and has tissue paper for armor)

One of the few exceptions is the IMP. Be it the base 2E model the Dragoons arrived with, or the upgraded 3E, it boasts average speed, heavy armor, good firepower and the heatsinks to use it. It's biggest handicap? FASA artwork. I really believe that, more than anything, kept it from becoming popular. So, it has long been on my to do list, but other mechs always seemed to get in the way. So while I was waiting for the workers to get done today I took advantage of time away from the intrawebz to sketch. And the Death Egg was born.

Tis still early concept sketch, but this is the best time to get input, before one gets too far along, too attached to features.

IMP-3E

not quite finished yet, but getting closer............
Posted Image

Design Notes:
Like the Atlas, the Cockpit resides in one of the mech's "Eyes". The other houses an array of infrared lights, cameras and some of the mech's targeting gear. A primary difference from the Atlas, is that the Cockpit and sensor bay are both fully modular, and so the depending on the production run, the Cockpit might be behind EITHER eye, a measure done to give Imps an extra level of survivability, as a pinpoint shot with a Gauss now only had a 50% chance of taking out the Cockpit and pilot.

TT Quirk: On a critical shot to the head, if one rolls a cockpit hit, roll 1d6. On a roll of 1-3, the shot hit the sensor pod, on a 4-6, the shot hit the cockpit, killing the pilot. Even if the head is destroyed, the pilot has a 50% chance of survival, though the mech will still be rendered destroyed and inoperable.

concept
Posted Image

input, por favor?

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 23 July 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#2 Terran123rd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 442 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

The TRO image is awesome.

This is even more so.

#3 Hebdomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts
  • Locationoutside Seattle, WA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

The art for the Imp on Sarna is pretty ugly, yours looks better. Though I'm generally not a fan of clan mech aesthetics to start with.

My only issue is the feet, they don't look big enough to support a moving mech. The back portion could work, but the front seems too short.

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

it's all in the gyro baby

#5 Agent Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 437 posts
  • Locationbottom left of canaduh

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

hey thats pretty cool.

#6 Soku Yamashita

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

Wooooo keep it up bishop!

#7 ChapeL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

The "X panel" armor plating... it's over used, even in MW:O

Other than that, pretty damn nice ! I might have tried to make the egg more "squat" (rounded top half, angular bottom) but your rendition stays closer to the spirit of the original. Seems weak at the knee for an assault mech however. (Might be due to this being a quick sketch) I might have gone with some thing bulkier ther especially for such a crucial part of the mech. Lastly, have you tried a left arm with a longer barrel ? Not that this one is bad at all... just wondering how it would look.

Great job :P

#8 NautilusCommand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 695 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:02 PM

for some reason this is what came to mind when I saw this

#9 Max OConnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

Now you are touching on one of my favorite mechs, so I thought you might like to see these images I've collected.
The first one is my effort to take the best parts from other images of the IMP and correct the messed up version from the Wolf's Dragoons source book. I used the right arm from David White's version of the IMP which was very good in my opinion.
I also cleaned up the original art and shifted a few things around to make them more symmetrical. I also extended the left arm laser.

Posted Image
This other image I found online, I do not know the artist's name but I thought it was a great version of the mech.
Posted Image

Here is another great rendition by Kilzig on deviant art I believe.

Posted Image

Edited by maxoconnor, 23 July 2013 - 06:27 AM.

#10 TheTeacher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:14 AM

Ahhhhh-hahahahahaha! It did not take long to get this rolling, did it?

Great start!

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

bump fer extra art

#12 RealHorrorShow

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:38 AM

love your sketches man! They really feel large, imposing and scary. I would love this in game man! I always loved the "walking face" look for this guy. Imagine like 2 of these and an atlas rolling at you!

#13 Utilyan

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

I better start saving up for 22,330,000 C-bills...........

I love "not quite finished" ........the AMS made it feel like its in game already.

It looks fun.

#14 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:42 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 22 July 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

Posted Image

Excellent! :(

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

View Postmaxoconnor, on 23 July 2013 - 06:24 AM, said:

Now you are touching on one of my favorite mechs, so I thought you might like to see these images I've collected.
The first one is my effort to take the best parts from other images of the IMP and correct the messed up version from the Wolf's Dragoons source book. I used the right arm from David White's version of the IMP which was very good in my opinion.
I also cleaned up the original art and shifted a few things around to make them more symmetrical. I also extended the left arm laser.

This other image I found online, I do not know the artist's name but I thought it was a great version of the mech.

Here is another great rendition by Kilzig on deviant art I believe.

so Max, is 2.0 more your cup o tea?

#16 Max OConnor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 July 2013 - 07:26 AM, said:

so Max, is 2.0 more your cup o tea?

Very much so, I like the IMP way more than I ever did the Atlas, you have really made it into a monster worthy of respect.

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

View PostUtilyan, on 23 July 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

I better start saving up for 22,330,000 C-bills...........

I love "not quite finished" ........the AMS made it feel like its in game already.

It looks fun.

Well, the secret is that really isn't an IMP. PGI decided to add the Urbanmech, and the modelers went with "what felt right" and ended up making it the size of an Atlas.

View Postmaxoconnor, on 25 July 2013 - 07:36 AM, said:

Very much so, I like the IMP way more than I ever did the Atlas, you have really made it into a monster worthy of respect.

I always liked it's loadout, just the clown feet, slinkyhips and massive left arm cannon (housing a single medium laser) always annoyed me.

#18 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

I like your art, but the imp is one of those mechs I really do not like the shape or style of. Good art, bad mech IMO.

#19 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

View PostViper69, on 25 July 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

I like your art, but the imp is one of those mechs I really do not like the shape or style of. Good art, bad mech IMO.

agreed. But, to my mind, like the King Crab, as bad as the canon art was, it added a unique feel, so, while it might not have been how i woulda designed it in the first place, it's almost fore fun and challenge to take totally disparate art styles and try to make them work.

#20 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 25 July 2013 - 08:07 AM, said:

agreed. But, to my mind, like the King Crab, as bad as the canon art was, it added a unique feel, so, while it might not have been how i woulda designed it in the first place, it's almost fore fun and challenge to take totally disparate art styles and try to make them work.

No doubt an admirable feat in deed my friend. I have the art skill of a crosseyed 3rd grader. So I think anything you guys do is a work of art :)

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users