8 replies to this topic

#1 Dracol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

Seismic sensors were(are) a game changer. Flankers need to hold off attacking until the enemy is engaged. Assaults can anticipate where a circling light will be.

But it can also be a liability. A fast mech, moving slowly through the caves in frozen city can make the enemy think an atlas is moving around to flank. Timed well, this can pull mechs off their front line right before your teammates make a push.

In River City, mechs can be lured into ambushes as they follow the red dot. Unaware of your teammates standing still waiting for them to round the corner.

On canyon network, a light can lure a heavy or assault down from atop the plateau only to jump away leaving the enemy looking for a place to climb back out.

With a teammate on voice comms, you can even pull a bait and switch. In a light or medium, you'd crest a hill, take a pot shot, then withdraw. Do it a second time and the enemy will expect you to crest a third time. But, on your second withdraw you stop next to your waiting teammate, who then moves to make the crest. What the enemy was assuming to be an easy target will now be facing a much deadlier opponent.

These are just a few ways I've used an enemy's seismic sensor against them. How bout you? Have you any tips to utilize an enemy's sensors against themselves?

Edited by Dracol, 24 July 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#2 Benjamin Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 367 posts
  • LocationIn my Spider 5D, killing all your Dire Wolves.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

View PostDracol, on 24 July 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

In River City, mechs can be lured into ambushes as they follow the red dot. Unaware of your teammates standing still waiting for them to round the corner.

I've had this done to me and done it myself. That Jenner running back and forth looks like a harmless noob, but when you go chasing after him 'OH **** TWO ATLAI RU- *boom*'

#3 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

Posted Image

#4 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:33 AM

Not sure if OP is trolling. Most of the ways things described happen relatively often, but can be avoided by not piloting like an *****. My favourite is the one where you get enemy assaults to jump down into the canyon and then jump back up. I wish I played against people who would blindly plunge into the canyon instead of just, ya know, shooting the hell out of me from up there.

Edited by aniviron, 25 July 2013 - 03:40 AM.

#5 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

View Postaniviron, on 25 July 2013 - 03:33 AM, said:

Not sure if OP is trolling. Most of the ways things described happen relatively often, but can be avoided by not piloting like an *****. My favourite is the one where you get enemy assaults to jump down into the canyon and then jump back up. I wish I played against people who would blindly plunge into the canyon instead of just, ya know, shooting the hell out of me from up there.

As much as I want to post a snarky response, I'm going to instead expand on the tactic to give a better understanding of how its done and why it works on occasion.

If a light pilot runs along the lower canyon edge, just below where the enemy is, they can not shoot at you. You taunt them by running back and forth, maybe even occasionally jumping up just enough to *** (really, n-i-p is censored?) at the heels of a mech standing near the edge.

Some players lack patience and if no other target is present will trudge down thinking to make a quick kill. Other players get frustrated easily and don't like getting harassed without being able to return fire.

Does it always work? Heck no. But it is another little trick one can have available which might come in useful if the right set of circumstances present themselves.

Edited by Dracol, 25 July 2013 - 10:38 AM.

#6 Sporklift

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 279 posts
  • LocationDecorah, Iowa

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

Its also important to note that the enemy cannot see which direction your mech is facing. So you can reverse and ambush that hidden light who is going for a back shot.

#7 DodgerH2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

Any tips on identifying enemy mechs with Seismic? Preferably without having the module yourself. That's the one issue I have with the whole concept, really.

#8 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

Since it is a passive system, there is no direct way to ID a mech with it equipped.

The only way is to observe their behavior after they appear on your seismic and make an informed judgement. I tend to favor the side of caution and assume all enemies have it equipped.

#9 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

View Postaniviron, on 25 July 2013 - 03:33 AM, said:

Not sure if OP is trolling.///My favourite is the one where you get enemy assaults to jump down into the canyon and then jump back up. I wish I played against people who would blindly plunge into the canyon instead of just, ya know, shooting the hell out of me from up there.

trolling? huh. dracol seems sincere and brings up good advice particularly to newer players who get advanced seismic.

at any rate, you'd be surprised how often people will do just that, chase the squirrel down into a gulch...

sure a really disciplined 8man on TS isn't going to chase squirrels into canyons but in a typical pug a light with jump jets can get big mechs to do lots of dumb things, especially if the light is injured in a few spots he becomes too tantalizing a target.

I actually prefer to get a teensy shot up early on in my spider cuz it makes me a more juicy target, and either i'm going to a)die or :D create great diversion and hopefully get the enemy to waste ammo on me or ignore my fatboys who will actually do all the killing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users