House Davion Tournament

65 replies to this topic

#21 3rdworld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

You can drop teams vs teams really easy.

Use 8 man set to conquest or assault. Press launch at the same time. 9/10 you will get the correct team.

SwK would probably play in a 8 man tourney.

imo do a simple single elimination tourney. matches are best out of 5.

#22 LordRush

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 422 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

Well, I would probably say that one of the first things one should do is allow a few weeks to get the word out.
Then, a formal sign up sheet should follow. Once we get to see who all is interested, the rest can fall into place or at least a stage can begin where the outline of the tournie can begin.

#23 AA Yeti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNaperville, IL

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

View PostLordRush, on 27 July 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

Well, I would probably say that one of the first things one should do is allow a few weeks to get the word out.
Then, a formal sign up sheet should follow. Once we get to see who all is interested, the rest can fall into place or at least a stage can begin where the outline of the tournie can begin.

I agree lets let this sit for two week so people can post up ideas or suggestions, and generate excitement spread the word, Fri August 9th we will make a formal announcement for a format and more details then maybe 2 weeks after that we actually kick it off.

#24 Straker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

I have a team that would love to participate.

#25 BigTrak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNorniron

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:29 AM

Depending on how many teams enter, we could do either best of 3 matches or straight forward knock-out (if a lot of teams) with winners going through to play in a “cup final” and runners-up (no losers in House Davion!!) going into a “plate final”. Seems the easiest to organise and manage on the day?

I like the idea of a points system as, if the event is successful and popular, we could start a league of the teams involved with rankings etc. But for the first event, maybe keep it simple to start?

Just a thought, but in C4 we have a mix of competitive and casual pilots. The serious 8 man tournie would appeal to the former but not so much the latter… If we are going to all this trouble to organise a day/evening of competitions, how about making it a 2 day event and having some fun events on the second day?

If we are looking to promote inter-unit co-operation amongst Davion groups ahead of CW, it would be great to field mixed 8man teams?

There were some “interesting” alcohol fuelled suggestions last night on TS including:
~ All Heavy & Assault mechs but restricted to small lasers & machine guns
~ Light mech only deathmatch
~ Pilots can only drive in reverse

Hope I’m helping here…

#26 Aylward

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 606 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCleveland, OH

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

View PostBigTrak, on 28 July 2013 - 03:29 AM, said:

Depending on how many teams enter, we could do either best of 3 matches or straight forward knock-out (if a lot of teams) with winners going through to play in a “cup final” and runners-up (no losers in House Davion!!) going into a “plate final”. Seems the easiest to organise and manage on the day?

I like the idea of a points system as, if the event is successful and popular, we could start a league of the teams involved with rankings etc. But for the first event, maybe keep it simple to start?

Just a thought, but in C4 we have a mix of competitive and casual pilots. The serious 8 man tournie would appeal to the former but not so much the latter… If we are going to all this trouble to organise a day/evening of competitions, how about making it a 2 day event and having some fun events on the second day?

If we are looking to promote inter-unit co-operation amongst Davion groups ahead of CW, it would be great to field mixed 8man teams?

There were some “interesting” alcohol fuelled suggestions last night on TS including:

Hope I’m helping here…

Sounds like some fun ideas.. Keep em coming.

#27 AA Yeti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNaperville, IL

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:32 AM

View PostBigTrak, on 28 July 2013 - 03:29 AM, said:

Hope I’m helping here…

I like the idea of light mechs only, since I know quite a few pilots who could use some light mech training.

#28 BigTrak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNorniron

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

Yeah, sorry, I was not trying to undermine the integrity of a serious competition with crazy rantings, just thought we could have some fun at the same time. I promise to come back with some serious ideas for a proper tournament shortly...

#29 Aviend

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

Could do some matches with just a limited amount of ammo on some weapons, like who do the most hits/damage with 5 AC10 shots.

#30 AA Yeti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNaperville, IL

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:21 AM

View PostBigTrak, on 29 July 2013 - 07:35 AM, said:

Yeah, sorry, I was not trying to undermine the integrity of a serious competition with crazy rantings, just thought we could have some fun at the same time. I promise to come back with some serious ideas for a proper tournament shortly...

No no I think you misunderstood my comment! I don't want this to be am overly serious tournament, this is all about generating a good time for everyone that plays. Of course there will be people who are SUPER SERIOUS but right now I want a level playing field that still enjoyable! Like trial mechs only or a class restriction such as 1 light 1 medium 1 heavy 1 assault.

#31 LordRush

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 422 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

View PostAA Yeti, on 29 July 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

No no I think you misunderstood my comment! I don't want this to be am overly serious tournament, this is all about generating a good time for everyone that plays. Of course there will be people who are SUPER SERIOUS but right now I want a level playing field that still enjoyable! Like trial mechs only or a class restriction such as 1 light 1 medium 1 heavy 1 assault.

Trial mechs would be a fun yet competitive way to keep the tourny in balance. It's a "Here...this is what you have, make the best of what you have" and there will be no excuses whatsoever. After all, it's about the pilots who pilot well.
Like that idea a lot.
The x1 lite x1 Medium x1 Heavy x1 Assault is what we call a "True Lance". Granted, this tourny will either be 8v8 or (quite possibly) 12v12. So, it would be 2/3 True Lances vs. the same

Edited by LordRush, 29 July 2013 - 12:00 PM.

#32 AA Yeti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNaperville, IL

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:29 AM

View PostLordRush, on 29 July 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

Trial mechs would be a fun yet competitive way to keep the tourny in balance. It's a "Here...this is what you have, make the best of what you have" and there will be no excuses whatsoever. After all, it's about the pilots who pilot well.
Like that idea a lot.
The x1 lite x1 Medium x1 Heavy x1 Assault is what we call a "True Lance". Granted, this tourny will either be 8v8 or (quite possibly) 12v12. So, it would be 2/3 True Lances vs. the same

Yeah thats what I am leaning towards, push people outside of their comfort zone, learn some new tactics and make friends at the same time. How seriously can you take the event when your limited on what mechs you can play? It will require a lot of team work and communication to take down a lance that is mirroring your own.

#33 Straygo

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 36 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:46 AM

Love to do a Davion tourny. Get faction loyalty going heading into CW!

#34 Sir Ludwig

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 33 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:52 AM

I'll post this on the Royal Guard page, but I'm sure we would put a team together. I think limiting tonnage on 4 or 8 man teams would add a nice element to it as well.

Sir Ludwig

#35 BigTrak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNorniron

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:44 AM

Oh yeah we're all cool guys, I just didn't want thread viewers to be put off the idea. Anyone who knows C4 knows we don't have limits on the crazy scale -_-

I'll hopefully have something up later today - been reading through copious wiki pages on tournament structures... Who knew there were so many formats - single/double elimination, stepladder system, best of 3/5/7 matches, points systems etc etc...

Edited by BigTrak, 30 July 2013 - 05:45 AM.

#36 Mr Everything

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 99 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

Hello Everyone

This Sounds Like a great Event to Host,, I think it will have a Great turn out
Hope you can Build a Format that will be fun for everyone

I personally Have always thought that Premade Groups Should be limited by Tonnage in drops
and The Idea that you are limited to one each of the Pre-Mades in the Tourney is even sweeter.

There would not be a test of how well you load your mechs but how well you pilot them
Make it an 8/12 Man Team Tourney because if you drop with 4 you run the risk of getting paired up with Great or Bad players and this could decide the match,,, and that is not a test of the Team.

So Full drops with Trial mechs in true Lances is my vote

#37 Benjamin Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 367 posts
  • LocationIn my Spider 5D, killing all your Dire Wolves.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

I'm new to HHoD, but I'd love to participate in a tournament. We were talking about this on TS, discussing ideas. My wild idea is an all-Atlas tournament, but no weapons other than small lasers are allowed. Let's see who can really shoot!

No, really, in all seriousness. I'm game.

#38 AA Yeti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNaperville, IL

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:34 AM

View PostBigTrak, on 30 July 2013 - 05:44 AM, said:

Oh yeah we're all cool guys, I just didn't want thread viewers to be put off the idea. Anyone who knows C4 knows we don't have limits on the crazy scale ;)

I'll hopefully have something up later today - been reading through copious wiki pages on tournament structures... Who knew there were so many formats - single/double elimination, stepladder system, best of 3/5/7 matches, points systems etc etc...

Can you send me what you found? I would love to look at it and then present some formal ideas that we can put to a vote then start getting this thing rolling!

#39 BigTrak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNorniron

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:30 AM

View PostAA Yeti, on 01 August 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

Can you send me what you found? I would love to look at it and then present some formal ideas that we can put to a vote then start getting this thing rolling!

Hey mate, PM'd you info a day or two ago but just noticed the MWO mail system is down... Should be waiting for you when they fix it. Cheers, Trak

#40 DEADLY_

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:48 AM

hi to all, i would like to partecipate at thise event sing me inn please

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users