The Pb That Won The Assault Vs The World [Aws Class]

42 replies to this topic

#21 Aethos

• PipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

thanks for all the positive feedback guys.

To answer some questions:

First off, to address the PB OP-ness. This mech is far from being easy to play well. While this mech has just gotten back above a 400 dmg average with 480 games played, my DDC with 88 games played, has an avg of 435 dmg per game. I've had plenty of extremely frustrating games that make me question my sanity and why I keep playing this mech. But I do because it rewards you heavily when everything does go right and the playstyle capitalizes on it. And it's a hell of a lot a fun to play carrying around as much firepower as an assault with the speed of a medium. The Heavy Metal, Dragon Slayer, and Misery are all hands down better mechs in less capable hands. Even the Ilya and YLW are tipped as being better than the PB by most players. At the end of the day its not the mech that makes the biggest difference, nor is it just the pilot, its the pilot who know how to play a mech to its strengths.

@Bront: Artemis: Before a couple patches ago, It was nearly required to have artemis if you were running srm6's since 2 of the missiles tended to stray pretty badly. srm4's were okay without it. However with Artemis, and especially since they adjusted artemis to give even tighter groups, I find hitting targets from mixed ranges under 280m that much easier. For me, killshots from the srm's seem to come easier since they are more likely to hit the same location. Now, Artemis is one of those things I have to have on every mech I have that runs missiles.

@Namesarestupid: Arm Lock I use quite frequently. If its a fast target I open with the LPL without arm lock, then armlock for the 2 MPLs, and readjust aim for the srms. I know arm lock isn't required for the 2 MPLs since they are both torso mounted, but having the recticle's lined up just helps me aim that much better. And since the PB has the best torso twist in the game, the slowdown from arm locking is barely noticeable against most targets.

@Kiiyor: The stop lag can be annoying often, but you are correct, you have to find ways to be moving as often as possible. I start out matches waiting, sometimes for a while, and just working on positioning. Once I engage a target I never stop moving until I'm out of direct fire, unless I'm able to park myself behind a target whose focus is elsewhere. For change of direction I actually just U-turn in the direction with the least back exposure as possible.

@Elizander: I like your first build with the 18 dhs in the XL400.
@NRP: Same with your Xl400 build, they fascinate me. Unfortunately I'm obsessed with pulses, and really despise regular lasers. I can't stand the long duration, I find i'm spreading the damage too much since generally I'm moving at full speed. Pulses definitely have their drawbacks, the range mostly requires a lot of patience to not engage targets 1v1 unless they are 300m or less. But I love the way they sound, look, and they seem to work just fine for me. They are very effective against facehuggers.

Thanks again for the support. I'll gladly answer any other questions people have about the PB and how I play it.

BTW: The only mech I have beef with is the new Victor Class. They are basically a better version of the PB/9M AWS in nearly every way. Just as fast. Thinner profile, Jump Jets (especially since the ramp movement change), and a big ballistic gun arm (which destroys awesomes the easiest) Id probably get a few, but Im pretty happy with where I'm at, and gonna take it easy until CW most likely.

Edited by Aethos, 29 July 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#22 AdamBaines

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

Im gonna give this one a go tonight. Thanks!

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

My PB made it into another of Lordred's screenshots.

Posted Image

The series of shots can be found here.

(It's still mostly a 'stock' mockup, which works best for me).
Score that match -- in the end I had a showdown against 3 Atlases (K, D, and D-DC). Between Lordred and myself we took 2 with us.

Edited by Koniving, 29 July 2013 - 10:10 PM.

#24 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,681 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:08 PM

Oooh-la-lah! That's pretty, Mister Dave!

Why does his MWO look so much better than mine? I've got the color saturation up pretty high, but...

#25 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 29 July 2013 - 10:08 PM, said:

Oooh-la-lah! That's pretty, Mister Dave!
Why does his MWO look so much better than mine? I've got the color saturation up pretty high, but...

Here.
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2240554
That should link you directly to where he shows his driver settings which is what makes it happen.
The resolution he shoots at is 3072x1920, and then it's downsized to 1920x1200.
His video card rocks, too.

#26 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

View PostKoniving, on 29 July 2013 - 10:15 PM, said:

Here.
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__2240554
That should link you directly to where he shows his driver settings which is what makes it happen.
The resolution he shoots at is 3072x1920, and then it's downsized to 1920x1200.
His video card rocks, too.

Generally run around 1900-2700mb Vram useage. (4gb card rocks)

#27 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:43 PM

I was two places and not far behind in the AWS category for this tournament, and ran a very similar build to Aethos. I used an AWS-9M, 380XL, 2xllas 1xER llas, 2xsrm4, 1xsrm6 for most of my big games, and am generally quite satisfied with it. As a disclaimer though, I did get at least two big games in my AWS-8Q running 4xPPC, Std300.

I would also stand by his advice for playstyle, as I do most of the same, and am also currently averaging 416dmg/match in my 9M. The only thing he didn't say that I do is to watch where LRMs and snipers are shooting from, and seeing if you can get around them and get a kill, and leave before their teammates show up. When this works, it usually leads to 1000 damage, 4+ kill games, but if you go in and backup arrives too soon, it will get you killed. Just be smart about when you do it- if you can take out the LRM boat and get out unscathed, your team is at a pretty big advantage.

#28 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,681 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

View PostLordred, on 29 July 2013 - 10:25 PM, said:

Generally run around 1900-2700mb Vram useage. (4gb card rocks)

Well, it just so happens that I have a 4GB card. =) I'll have to look into altering my settings. I don't want to alter the game to gain an advantage, but I'd love to be able to get the most out of my machine.

#29 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:52 AM

Love the Pretty Baby! Run mine similarly to the OP but drop the 2MPL for 2ML and pump the engine up to a 395XL. The steps to using it are spot on. When the time comes to charge an Atlas or a Stalker I like to run at them sideways using the CTRL key to pilot out the lovely side window the Awesome has. Protect my torso slots and let them alpha strike my arm. It can take the abuse and at 88KPH they won't get more than one shot before I'm in range.

#30 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

Paul said pulse lasers will get a beam duration reduction soon (next patch?), which should make Aethos' build even better.

#31 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

Serious props for doing that in a PB.

#32 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

I've killed the PB with a hunchie 4G so meh.

by myself.

#33 Psikez

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

I'm an elitist ***** who thinks PGIs tournaments are a waste of time given the formula BUT

You sir/madame have impressed me. Not only did you pick up a win with an awesome, you did it with a pretty baby. Mad mad kudos to you :)

To everyone else out there never stop piloting the mechs you love!

#34 BP Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

Grats on an Awesome job ;)

My average damage in my 9M is 371 with PPCs and MLas backup weapons over 743 games, but it's getting harder with the heat penalty and the prevalence of PPC/Guass poptarts in the games i drop into.

Might have to give that brawler loadout a try though...

#35 Aethos

• PipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

I'm still working on my 9M loadout. My biggest beef with the 9M is the shotgun effect of the SRM's [2 SRM4's CT, 1 SRM6 arm]

It takes too long for them to all fire, and when you are flanking at full speed, it really spreads the damage too much whereas the PB's ASRM16 pretty much feels like a DDC's triple SRM rack.

I'm probably going to try going single ASRM4 in the CT, and ASRM6 in the arm and see how that goes. But to be honest, the most fun loadout I'm having in the 9M is something NRP or Tahribitor used in the last tourney. I call it the 9m-Deathstar. It's only drawback is range, but on the small maps its very effective.

AWS-9M-DEATHSTAR

Edited by Aethos, 05 August 2013 - 10:55 AM.

#36 BP Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

View PostAethos, on 05 August 2013 - 10:42 AM, said:

I'm still working on my 9M loadout. My biggest beef with the 9M is the shotgun effect of the SRM's [2 SRM4's CT, 1 SRM6 arm]

It takes too long for them to all fire, and when you are flanking at full speed, it really spreads the damage too much whereas the PB's ASRM16 pretty much feels like a DDC's triple SRM rack.

I'm probably going to try going single ASRM4 in the CT, and ASRM6 in the arm and see how that goes. But to be honest, the most fun loadout I'm having in the 9M is something NRP or Tahribitor used in the last tourney. I call it the 9m-Deathstar. It's only drawback is range, but on the small maps its very effective.

AWS-9M-DEATHSTAR

Yeah, that lack of SRM tubes can be annoying ... if streaks hadn't been hit by the thick end of the nerf bat they might be worth using right there (except for the time it takes to lock on). I still quite like having the 3 seperate fire groups though, (Lrg pulse, 2x med pulse, SRMs) since you will almost always have something you can fire when you walk around a corner into an enemy mech.

One variation of the pulse/SRM build i tried replaced the large pulse and a ton of SRM ammo with an ER PPC (the remaining tonnage can beused up on armour, or lose half a ton and fit the XL 385). Added a nice bit of long range punch, but the additional heat of the PPC (even though the overall heat efficiency is similar, the PPC produces more heat at the point of delivery) and the difficuilty of hitting with it at close range made me switch back to the large pulse for the time being.

#37 Rascula

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 387 posts
  • LocationWord of Blake Protectorate, Epsilon Eridani.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

Quedos on the win, although im not surprised a PB won it, as its been my favourite mech since it came out. Its a hell of a lot better than people give it credit for, in fact in my humble opinion so are all the Awesomes.

Gratz again, and keep spreading the word that people should be very afraid of the barn door beastie! :wacko:

#38 Chuanhao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:20 AM

I just felt that the designers missed a good opportunity in Pretty Baby in adherence to the notion of HERO mechs having unique load outs. What would make PB exceptionally unique would be the inclusion of 1 x Ballistic Hard Point. I suppose that the designers have decided to remain true to the none Ballistic tradition of the Awesome platform

#39 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

View PostChuanhao, on 27 August 2013 - 12:20 AM, said:

I just felt that the designers missed a good opportunity in Pretty Baby in adherence to the notion of HERO mechs having unique load outs. What would make PB exceptionally unique would be the inclusion of 1 x Ballistic Hard Point. I suppose that the designers have decided to remain true to the none Ballistic tradition of the Awesome platform

I'd be happy enough if they just let me have 3 PPCs on it just like normal Awesomes. ;)

#40 Aethos

• PipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

3 PPC's were always too hot for my playstyle with the 9M.

The strength of the PB is the SRM racks. I've scored probably 85% of my kills from unloading the Artemis SRM-16 at a somewhat softened target. Do not underestimate the power of SRM's on this thing.

Note: I'm taking a sabbatical from this game since this whole 3pv fiasco. I'll still gladly update and comment on this thread as the PB is still my pride and joy of MWO. Unfortunately MWO just isn't that appealing to me anymore.

Edited by Aethos, 29 August 2013 - 01:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users