Lrms Too Strong

117 replies to this topic

Poll: Nerf LRMs? (292 member(s) have cast votes)

Let's ask the devs to Nerf the LRMs.

1. Yes (26 votes [8.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

2. Voted No (265 votes [91.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 91.07%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Jestun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:59 AM

View PostShadowdusk, on 27 July 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

Thats not true.
Wrong.

Its impossible to fight when there's nothing but LRMs flying at you.
1. There's very rarely "nothing but LRMs flying at you", 2. wrong.

And stop saying "ECM ECM ECM" ECM is very rare.
This will vary depending on who you play with, what your ELO is, what time you log on, etc. But in my experience this is also wrong.

If PGI really cared about Mech balance they'd add ECM or better AMS.
"Add ECM"? ECM is ingame and completely blocks LRMs ability to get / maintain target unless countered. AMS works up to a point, but a single AMS weill not stop dozens of missiles when they are all clustered.

Right now the entire game play revolves around LRMs.
Wrong.

They need to be better balanced.
Actually they are better balanced than they have been for most of their life, they spent most of the time either being OP or completely worthless. They are still pretty much useless in competitive matches but can at least be used in PUGs now.

#22 Rocketlaunch

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

Wait until your elo gets high enough. You will then be complaining about PPC Stalkers and Highlander 732 Cheese Kings.

#23 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

View PostJackson Jax Teller, on 27 July 2013 - 08:33 AM, said:

lol the only one united thing the people in this community constantly cry is about LRMs.

I'd say the poll results would disagree. :)

#24 Stoicblitzer

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

the poll should add "fix LRMs" because i doubt they are currently working as intended™. by fix, i mean stop them coring out CT of mechs and barely hitting anything else.

#25 No Guts No Glory

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:47 AM

Fix LRMs? I think you mean, " Please turn LRM's into nerf darts."

#26 CB Cyrix

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

View PostShadowdusk, on 27 July 2013 - 01:22 AM, said:

Please nerf the LRMS. Since the patch where they got buffed they are too strong and are being abused way too much by players. The biggest problem is not the damage but how they arch and track. LRMs also don't automatically explode once they reached their maximum distance. Their spread is too tight. And yes even their damage is a bit high. I am getting so tired of people running LRM Boat squads and then sit back and kill everyone while being defended. To me it feels like cheating, the fact they don't even have to engage. Too many games are won like this. It is not fair. I am asking for LRMs to be nerfed. Please. Nerf them. At lease spread out the damage, don't have them tighten too much. And please remove this tracking nonsense where the LRMS can target and seek you even when noone has any line of sight, tag, or narc on you.

SRMs is another problem. Too many people are using SRM spam builds. And one shotting just about everyone. I am asking for SRMs to have a higher heat build up or a longer cooldown. Make it so people will think twice before getting 6 to 8 SRMs on a mech and go around one shotting people. You did it with the AC/20s, to make it harder for people to spam them. Why can't you do it with SRMs?

I read the patch notes and I will tell you this from experience, it's not enough. LRMS are too over powered. And guess what, not every mech have ECM.

You got PWNed lol

#27 Johnny Reb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

The only thing I think that should be changed with lrms is if you don't have Artemis then they should spread a bit more. However, lrms should always try to focus on the center of a mech, be it ct or side torso.

#28 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostShadowdusk, on 27 July 2013 - 01:22 AM, said:

Please nerf the LRMS. Since the patch where they got buffed they are too strong and are being abused way too much by players. The biggest problem is not the damage but how they arch and track. LRMs also don't automatically explode once they reached their maximum distance. Their spread is too tight. And yes even their damage is a bit high. I am getting so tired of people running LRM Boat squads and then sit back and kill everyone while being defended. To me it feels like cheating, the fact they don't even have to engage. Too many games are won like this. It is not fair. I am asking for LRMs to be nerfed. Please. Nerf them. At lease spread out the damage, don't have them tighten too much. And please remove this tracking nonsense where the LRMS can target and seek you even when noone has any line of sight, tag, or narc on you.

SRMs is another problem. Too many people are using SRM spam builds. And one shotting just about everyone. I am asking for SRMs to have a higher heat build up or a longer cooldown. Make it so people will think twice before getting 6 to 8 SRMs on a mech and go around one shotting people. You did it with the AC/20s, to make it harder for people to spam them. Why can't you do it with SRMs?

I read the patch notes and I will tell you this from experience, it's not enough. LRMS are too over powered. And guess what, not every mech have ECM.

I think people would understand what you're trying to say if you used an even bigger font like this! I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO ASK YOU TO JOIN US IN THE MAKE LRMS USELESS GROUP.  WE ARE AN EXCELLENT BAND OF ELITE MECHWARRIORS THAT KNOW THAT OUR SKILLS ARE BEING DESECRATED BY HONORLESS FOOLS THAT USE LRMS. STOPPING US FROM GETTING AN AVERAGE OF 9-12 KILLS AND 2600 DAMAGE PER GAME.    

Edited by verybad, 27 July 2013 - 09:40 AM.

#29 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

Heck no, buff them when the player has Line-of-Sight (LoS) and Artemis. Right now LRMs are weak compared to other LoS weapons. Because of that you really can't combine some LRMs and some Lasers, etc. You are forced to boat LRMs and use indirect fire.

You could weaken indirect fired LRMs if LoS LRMs with Artemis were buffed to be as deadly as ACs or lasers. It would need tweaking, but LRMs are the only weapon requiring you to face the target for 3-4 seconds of travel time to maintain a lock so they should compete better with the Gauss and ACs being shot back which are actually much easier to use than LRMs.

Or, make Artemis LRMs fire-and-forget with LoS and keep damage where it is.

Right now LRMs are too weak to be paired with other weapons so they get boated or not used.

Edited by Lightfoot, 27 July 2013 - 09:42 AM.

#30 Dephylr

• PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

If anything, the flamer needs to be nerfed. I am tired of seeing people run 4 flamers and get 800 damage. That is how much sense this thread makes. Try getting some skill before you whine about LRMS.

#31 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostStoicblitzer, on 27 July 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

the poll should add "fix LRMs" because i doubt they are currently working as intended™. by fix, i mean stop them coring out CT of mechs and barely hitting anything else.

They're supposed to be doing that for the moment. They added higher CT seek when they almost completely removed splash damage. When splash/the new models are implemented they'll make the bones less powerful in the CT.

#32 LaserAngel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 889 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

3 AMS is enough to make my Catapult C1 cry.

#33 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

The OP MUST be right. He used a big, bolded font! Who can argue with that?

#34 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

If the OP had been around for the May 21st Missile-ocalypse, he would have learned what "cover" means when missiles are coming down almost vertically from the sky. Within 6 or 8 hours of the patch, people were adapting: Finding taller buildings, and getting closer to them for cover. Snipers were being replaced on the field by fast brawlers. Light mechs were doing more spotting and less harassment as they should. Missiles were hotfixed on May 23rd and aren't coming down at the same steep angle any more. Whatever has happened to LRMs since then, they aren't as powerful as they were on My 21st and 22nd.

#35 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

Moar Lurm QQ! Moar, nao!

Here's the thing: LRMs are not OP. In fact, they're one of the most situation-dependent weapons in the game. If you are in a slow mech out in the open with an enemy spotter, you can get absolutely roached by them. If you're in a fast mech, under cover, perhaps with ECM, you are effectively immune.

1 - LRMs are far more effective at medium range than long, due to flight times and the need to maintain a lock or have them go "dumb" and lose tracking.

2 - LRMs have both ECM and AMS specifically designed to prevent them from being used, and give a lot of warning to the enemy with the "Incoming Missiles" warning that gives those who pay attention time to get into cover.

2 - LRMs have no extended range, and do 0 damage inside their minimum. Other weapons with maximum and minimum ranges still do some damage, with fall-off, but LRMs air-burst when they hit 1,000m and don't arm until they hit 180m, given them a very hard maximum and minimum range bracket.

3 - LRMs preferentially track the CT. This is the same problem SSRMs had, and could have the same or a similar fix. That does not make them OP, just buggy. As SSRMs were "OP" until they got their tracking fix (and are considered by many now to be UP), so too LRMs are often considered OP by those who don't understand that they're buggy and UP by those who don't understand how to use them in the first place.

Here's the solution to LRMs: Give them SSRM tracking, but slightly modified. Have them target "bones" in groups of 5, with spread based on each individual group. In other words, if an LRM 5 fires at a target, all five missiles track the same "bone" on the target, with maybe a 2m diameter on the flight formation. This groups their damage a bit, while still having them affect an area rather than be a simple lump of precision damage. If an LRM 20 fires at a target, its missiles group into 4 sets of 5, that each track separately. Some might coincidentally target the same location.

Let Artemis and TAG reduce the size of the flight formation for the individual groups. Say, from 2m diameter to 1.75m for one, or 1.5m for both. Have NARC increase the tracking capability of in-bound LRMs (make them more agile), and have it increase the odds that missile groups will target the NARCed location (perhaps twice as likely or so). With this system all three electronic warfare systems could stack without issue (having all three would make for agile missiles that preferentially target the NARCed location and have a 1.5m flight radius on each 5-missile group.

In the mean time, learn to play against LRMs. Don't wander around in the open unless you have a fast mech or are in a group with plenty of AMS. Speaking of AMS, add it to your builds, especially your slow ones that are more vulnerable to enemy missiles. Pay attention to your "Incoming Missile" warnings, stay close to cover whenever you can, and watch the angles that enemy LRMs are coming from. If you can find the carrier, check the range. If he's close, get inside 180m and laugh at him. If he's far, get outside 1,000m and laugh at him. If you're fast enough, dance in and out of range and get him to waste his ammo on you.

#36 Kernfeuer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 225 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

Oh boy...another useless tread..iam seriousley questing myself why on earth something like this had to repeat again and again...search funktion is your friend..use this and see how many crying treads about it allready exist.

so...pls lock tread and done...

#37 WarMonkey14

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

lrms can kill anybody when you have enough of them. one lrm boat...meh, six? gg

lrm players always have more ammo than ams, they have other weapons and fewer overall than most players giving them good heat eff. lrms have min range of 180 which is way to close for them.

i'm always repeating myself, but i guess everyone wants this **** balance

LRMS RULE PUGS.

LRMS SUCK IN 8v8 premades.

compromise, give them a wider spread than from my left arm to my right arm and a min range of ~300m (moving max range to 1500m would be ok if needed)

#38 Taemien

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

Posted Image

OP, now your LRM woes are alleviated. This works in a 45kph assault mech too, even now.

#39 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

"Lrms Too Strong"

I give up.

#40 heleqin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 101 posts

the only change i'd like to see with LRMs is for them to use the same target prioritization system as the SSRMs so that LRMs are less useful as a CT coring weapon. still leaves them useful, just not quite as deadly.

it is possible to avoid LRMs fairly easily, they're not overpowered

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users