Number One Reason Medium Mechs Are Extinct...

59 replies to this topic

#1 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

Seismic sensor.

It steals away the one last tiny straw that a medium mech may have been able to clutch at - that is mobility and surprise.

You can't play peek-a-boo with an assault in an urban environment - because it knows exactly where you are at all times!

You can't sneak up on anybody - because they see you coming

You can't even run a flank - because again they see you coming

So what do you do? Do what everyone else does and take a heavy with an XL and as much cowbell as you can squeeze in. Fit a seismic sensor and then laugh if a medium trys to 'sneak up on you' to shoot you in your paper thin rear armour.

#2 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

and I thought this was the asteroids fault

#3 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

they were underused way before seismic was introduced

#4 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:10 PM

Seismic is not the problem people seem to think it is. Sure it makes it easier to have good situational awareness, but it is just as useful for the Medium in the urban setting as it is for anyone else. In fact, I believe it to be more useful for me in my brawlers than it is for the people I'm hunting.

#5 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

The seismic sensor is perhaps part of the explanation, but very, very, very far from being the number one reason. Consider the medium mech's huge size and relative lack of speed, armor and firepower compared to heavy mechs. Whatever medium mechs can do, heavy mechs can usually do better.

View PostSybreed, on 27 July 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

and I thought this was the asteroids fault

Read the bible, you ignorant Canadian. God wiped out the medium mechs with a flood because they worshipped a golden Urbanmech.

#6 WhiteRabbit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 377 posts
  • Locationover there

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

actually it helps my 4sp...really good for hunting down hurt opponents. (aint hiding from me you fatlas with the delicious open LT :D)

btw.: that doesn't mean that meds are on par with any other weight-class, i just really like my hunch since it was the first mech i bought.

#7 Dexion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • LocationWestern Ma.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

Underused yes, but he's right, Seismic killed any hope of running flanks or hit and run. Its almost as bad as ECM used to be. I actually forgot to switch my seismic when i bought a new victor, and it was night and day without it... Going from seismic to no-seismic is like driving a car with blacked out windows and no mirrors.

#8 Erata

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationGoro Company Dropship MK1, Long live Lord Shang Tsung.

Seismic was just the final nail in the coffin.

The more prevalent issue is that mediums' armor and internals are too low to deal with the firepower heavies and assaults bring to the table. It's not uncommon for 2 or 3 mechs to focus fire a medium down in a single weapon cycle.

Like others have said, heavies can take more punishment and can dish out way more.

#9 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Something I have noticed is that in my Centurion for e.g. I hav a vry good torso twist and a very panoramic cockpit. It gives me great situational awareness as I can easily be scanning around everywhere. But seismic grants this same attribute to a Stalker, or an Atlas.

It really makes different cockpit designs irrelevant.

#10 KKillian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 304 posts
  • LocationGeneva, IL

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

I still kick as much *** in my founders hunchback or swayback, trebs and now blackjacks as I do in any of my heavys and assaults. Stick and move, support your heavy and assaults... Do not run off and try to backstab people if you arnt in a cicada anyway your team needs you.

Has noone noticed the increase in SRM18 zombie cents since fix? I know I have. Not complaining, just pointing out the commonly seen medium mechs in action.

It's a lot more fun to play an array of mechs than just focus on one anyway, I guess a lot of kids are trying to get high KDR on the stat page. I'm here for personal entertainment, not to impress people I'll never meet. Enjoy all the mechs it makes the games much more entertaining!

#11 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

I'd say seismic was a harder blow to lights than to mediums.

Either way, seismic needs to go, it's a wall-hack. Nothing more, nothing less. A dev-sanctioned wall-hack.

Remove it, or nerf it severely (as in make it weight-dependent, VERY short range, and only usable when stationary).

#12 Lord Perversor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostKKillian, on 27 July 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

I still kick as much *** in my founders hunchback or swayback, trebs and now blackjacks as I do in any of my heavys and assaults. Stick and move, support your heavy and assaults... Do not run off and try to backstab people if you arnt in a cicada anyway your team needs you.

Has noone noticed the increase in SRM18 zombie cents since fix? I know I have. Not complaining, just pointing out the commonly seen medium mechs in action.

It's a lot more fun to play an array of mechs than just focus on one anyway, I guess a lot of kids are trying to get high KDR on the stat page. I'm here for personal entertainment, not to impress people I'll never meet. Enjoy all the mechs it makes the games much more entertaining!

And this pretty much it's how ppl should pilot mediums these days, ppl whinning about seismic killing mediums it's absurd (tought i think it deserves a nerf) if any **normal** Atlas ,Stalker, Cataphract can keep up to your speed while you keep cover between you and them to force them waste their time after the med then something is wrong, you DON'T always need to engage the enemy, sometimes delay it distract so your heavy hitters can take an advantage it's the trick then you can use the opening to finish overcome them.

#13 One Medic Army

• 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostKKillian, on 27 July 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

View PostLord Perversor, on 27 July 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

And this pretty much it's how ppl should pilot mediums these days, ppl whinning about seismic killing mediums it's absurd (tought i think it deserves a nerf) if any **normal** Atlas ,Stalker, Cataphract can keep up to your speed while you keep cover between you and them to force them waste their time after the med then something is wrong, you DON'T always need to engage the enemy, sometimes delay it distract so your heavy hitters can take an advantage it's the trick then you can use the opening to finish overcome them.

Just because people call mediums weak, doesn't mean they can't play mediums.

I consider Mediums the weakest of all weight classes, and the majority of them to be either strictly inferior lights or strictly inferior heavies. The Dragon and Quickdraw play medium better than most of the actual mediums do.

I play mediums, I play mediums frequently, and I frequently do well in even the crappiest of the crappy mediums, the Hunch-G. It proves nothing.

#14 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

Here is a tip: you can also use the seismic sensors to troll --- ahem --- distract the enemy.

Sure, they need changing, but, don't blame the lack of mediums on the sensors.

#15 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:51 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 27 July 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

The seismic sensor is perhaps part of the explanation, but very, very, very far from being the number one reason. Consider the medium mech's huge size and relative lack of speed, armor and firepower compared to heavy mechs. Whatever medium mechs can do, heavy mechs can usually do better.

Read the bible, you ignorant Canadian. God wiped out the medium mechs with a flood because they worshipped a golden Urbanmech.

The Golden Urbanmech is the True God.

#16 Qrbaza

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

For lights and mediums seismic sensors have more pros than cons. You people just need to use it the right way. I play mediums and lights and ss sure help me do my job. Flanking isnt big deal if you wait a little till they are distracted. Manytimes over when you are last light alive ss helps you evade enemy so cou can try to complete the objective. AND IT WORKS AS INTENDED!

Light class is overpovered lets delete them from game. Broken hitboxes makes them impossible to hit and hit detection is broken as hell. 45 alpha to center torso barely do some armor damage. LETS DELETE LIGHTS and everything else that makes you QQ bad in game...

#17 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

Seismic helps anyone who had terrible situational awareness, and punishes anyone who preyed upon those people.

#18 Zylo

• 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostJungle Rhino, on 27 July 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:

Seismic sensor.

It steals away the one last tiny straw that a medium mech may have been able to clutch at - that is mobility and surprise.

You can't play peek-a-boo with an assault in an urban environment - because it knows exactly where you are at all times!

You can't sneak up on anybody - because they see you coming

You can't even run a flank - because again they see you coming

So what do you do? Do what everyone else does and take a heavy with an XL and as much cowbell as you can squeeze in. Fit a seismic sensor and then laugh if a medium trys to 'sneak up on you' to shoot you in your paper thin rear armour.

No, mediums became less common due to the number of high alpha builds running around that were able to kill a medium mech before it could do much damage. Taking a medium mech meant that your team was lacking high alpha firepower. Seismic sensors contribute to the lower population of medium mechs but are not the cause.

#19 Funkadelic Mayhem

• Knight Errant
  • 1,811 posts
  • LocationOrokin Void

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:43 PM

because they got sick of running against premades.

#20 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

Yeah I've been trying hard to run my Centurion's, but even with the borked hitbox it's pretty bad.

And really, really good players know to shoot out my legs.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users