With All The Focus On Ppc's......

89 replies to this topic

#1 akpavker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 332 posts
  • Locationsydney australia

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:49 AM

with all the attention the dev's have poored into nerfing PPC's i think they have forgoten that LRM's are overpowered in a ******** way. with the current trajectory lrm's move in there is no way of hiding from them and they hit center torso with basicly every missle unlike sreaks which have also been nerfed. artemis is buged and works with no line of sight and from what i can make of this the devs are not doing a dam thing about this!!!! not to mention in the average match these days i see around 3 misslie boats supported with goofy builds like atlases or highlanders carrying 2 ppc's and some lrm's. all i used to see was people complaining saying stuff like "PPC warrior".......funny how fast it has now become LRM warrior.!!!!

#2 JingleHell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:53 AM

LRMs are only strong in certain quantities within a team. Ignoring all the ways to not get wrecked by them, since you claim none of them work, which is hysterical (I almost never die to LRMs), the fact is that if you have too many or too few they do nothing. Too few, makes them even laughably easy to counter, and too many, just go give them a hug.

#3 Elfman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:59 AM

Did some testing at the weekend with LRM's on my founders cat - 2 LRM 15's with Artemis 1 tag.

Take a snapshot of my stats pre start of testing and post completion.

Over all I really am bad with LRM's on average I ended up with after 30 matches 28.1% accuracy for 148 damage per match

also noticed that my LRM's where hitting for an average of 0.9 per missile rather than the supposed 1.1

If LRM carrier has a spotter and boats LRM's there effective - solo pugging where nobody bothers to hold a lock there trash (for me at least)

#4 Ralgas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

View Postakpavker, on 29 July 2013 - 05:56 AM, said:

typical statment from a lrm noob that cant use any other weapon

typical statement from a noob that hasn't followed the boating nerfs coming this week and doesn't use ams in groups

#5 xDeityx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

View Postakpavker, on 29 July 2013 - 05:49 AM, said:

with all the attention the dev's have poored into nerfing PPC's i think they have forgoten that LRM's are overpowered in a ******** way. with the current trajectory lrm's move in there is no way of hiding from them and they hit center torso with basicly every missle unlike sreaks which have also been nerfed. artemis is buged and works with no line of sight and from what i can make of this the devs are not doing a dam thing about this!!!! not to mention in the average match these days i see around 3 misslie boats supported with goofy builds like atlases or highlanders carrying 2 ppc's and some lrm's. all i used to see was people complaining saying stuff like "PPC warrior".......funny how fast it has now become LRM warrior.!!!!

Not making a direct claim about your skill level one way or the other, just saying that the experiences you report with LRMs match up exactly to how unskilled players tend to report on them, and more skilled players report not seeing them as a problem at all.

Have you tried running a 'mech that has lots of LRMs? You'll find they aren't as easy as you think. And if they are that easy and you are murdering players with your LRM 'mech then just wait until your Elo rating rises and you are pitted against better pilots.

Edited by xDeityx, 29 July 2013 - 06:00 AM.

#6 akpavker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 332 posts
  • Locationsydney australia

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:03 AM

View PostElfman, on 29 July 2013 - 05:59 AM, said:

Did some testing at the weekend with LRM's on my founders cat - 2 LRM 15's with Artemis 1 tag.

Take a snapshot of my stats pre start of testing and post completion.

Over all I really am bad with LRM's on average I ended up with after 30 matches 28.1% accuracy for 148 damage per match

also noticed that my LRM's where hitting for an average of 0.9 per missile rather than the supposed 1.1

If LRM carrier has a spotter and boats LRM's there effective - solo pugging where nobody bothers to hold a lock there trash (for me at least)

yea im not so good with lrm's myself. but like u said if they have a spotter they pump out alot of damage.maby i keep geting put in to premades with spotters then because im always geting plowed by lrm's. and i like to poptar so im almost allways in cover.

#7 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:06 AM

In my opinion LRMs are not OP

But nor are they a fun game mechanic

I think their flight speed is a little too fast

and their trajectory is a little too high (it DOES bypass way too much cover)

But they should be pretty devastating if caught in the open

My issue is that on maps like forest colony, Most of the cliffs do not provide cover from LRMs, only cover from locks.

With the advanced decay module in play, hugging cover wont save you at all.

#8 JingleHell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:08 AM

View Postakpavker, on 29 July 2013 - 05:56 AM, said:

typical statment from a lrm noob that cant use any other weapon

Which of my three primary mechs do you think I'm boating on? My LBX Dragon that can't fit more than an LRM 10? My XL 360 Treb that has almost no weight left over for weapon systems? Or maybe my Commando?

If I'm the noob, why is it I know how to avoid them, and you don't?

View Postakpavker, on 29 July 2013 - 06:03 AM, said:

yea im not so good with lrm's myself. but like u said if they have a spotter they pump out alot of damage.maby i keep geting put in to premades with spotters then because im always geting plowed by lrm's. and i like to poptar so im almost allways in cover.

You tried them, couldn't make it work, and didn't want to learn how to avoid them, so you screamed nerf. /thread

Edited by JingleHell, 29 July 2013 - 06:09 AM.

#9 LordBraxton

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

View PostJingleHell, on 29 July 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:

Which of my three primary mechs do you think I'm boating on? My LBX Dragon that can't fit more than an LRM 10? My XL 360 Treb that has almost no weight left over for weapon systems? Or maybe my Commando?

If I'm the noob, why is it I know how to avoid them, and you don't?

You tried them, couldn't make it work, and didn't want to learn how to avoid them, so you screamed nerf. /thread

I'll answer in his defense (sort of, I dont think LRMs need a nerf so much as a rework)

If those are your three mechs, you are going 100kph-128kph-151kph

Until you pilot a mech going ~70 or below, you don't understand how ridiculously stupid LRMs can be on maps without adequate cover.

As I said before, 90% of the 'cover' on forest colony wont save you.

Edited by LordBraxton, 29 July 2013 - 06:13 AM.

#10 xDeityx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:13 AM

View PostJingleHell, on 29 July 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:

This is why so many of us want to see Elo ratings made public. It would be so much easier to communicate when you can see the frame of reference from which the person you are communicating with is speaking.

#11 Purlana

• 1,647 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

If you think LRMs are overpowered now, you haven't been playing MWO long enough. :)

#12 xDeityx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:15 AM

View PostLordBraxton, on 29 July 2013 - 06:12 AM, said:

90%? I think you have that number backwards. I have no problem with LRMs on any map. Caustic and Alpine have the least amount of cover by the way, Forest Colony has more cover than you could possibly need.

#13 Khell DarkWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:17 AM

http://mwomercs.com/...rms-too-strong/

LRM's are balanced, and there are many viable counters to them unlike a thinner list compared to PPC's.

#14 JingleHell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:18 AM

I'll answer in his defense (sort of, I dont think LRMs need a nerf so much as a rework)

If those are your three mechs, you are going 100kph-128kph-151kph

Until you pilot a mech going ~70 or below, you don't understand how ridiculously stupid LRMs can be on maps without adequate cover.

Plenty of the cover on Forest Colony protects you. There's a lot that doesn't, but between visual cover (deny line of sight) and hard cover (stops missiles) there's options. Also, if your mech is going that slowly, you have a LOT more armor than I do, and if the other team has enough missiles that you're seriously fighting in the shade, they're dead as soon as you have a shot on them.

Are they frustrating if you're caught out? Absolutely. Don't get caught out. But too many or too few leaves a team excessively vulnerable to hugging, or turns them into just a nuisance weapon. Although I AM a fan of sticking a random 5 on fast strikers occasionally just to force people to keep their heads down.

#15 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:19 AM

LRMs are strong.

They need to be.

It is the only weapon in the game that relies on your personal skill as much as the lack of skill of your target.

Edited by Roughneck45, 29 July 2013 - 06:23 AM.

#16 Damocles69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 888 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:30 AM

Indirect fire was a bad idea... it is simply not fun to get shot when you can't shoot back. Are they overpowered? No. The damage and trajectory feel about right. It just sucks they can hide behind a while and hit you as long as a friend of theirs keeps LOS.

#17 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

The purpose of taking cover isn't to catch the missiles so much as it is to break/prevent the lock. Anything that can fully conceal your body will let you hillhump the LRM boat with impunity.

#18 Stoicblitzer

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

as i state every time one of these threads comes up, LRMs aren't overpowered imo. Right now they probably don't conform to PGI's vision™ for LRMs. ETA on fix: 6 months.

#19 Marmon Rzohr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 769 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the universe, probably

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

I suggest this post:
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/123647-lrms-spotting-and-you-62013/

I
t gives a good roundup of all the varied details of LRM performance. I found it hugely helpful in avoiding them and landing them.

Cheers :)

#20 Aim64C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

LRMs are just poorly implemented.

For starters - grouping of the missiles is based largely on the launcher. Firing 4 LRM10s will give you a tighter grouping than 2 LRM20s.

When you consider that the missiles home in on the center-torso and are amped up by things like Artemis and TAG....

In theory - they should be awesome weapons. But damage from your missiles registers all kinds of whacky.

Further complicating the issue is that LRM guidance is just pathetic. Because they don't use a system of proportional navigation, you are guaranteed to miss just about anything moving faster than a certain magic speed. The new trajectory changes things a bit - but I can still dodge LRM stalker fire in my C4 by running a serpentine approach... or simply a circle of death. While he's taking huge numbers of missiles straight to his center torso.

Missiles should hurt - but they shouldn't be "autocore." They should be taking off arms and side torsos before they burn through your center torso. But, there again, we're using the CryEngine... so our technical options are limited.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users