With All The Focus On Ppc's......

89 replies to this topic

#81 JohnnyWayne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

You know, people said exaktly the same thing a year ago. Invaliding lrms. Why? I supposed that they lose lock when the los breaks.

People are always quick at makeing claimes when they fear consequences regarding their gameplay. Facts always lie in the eye of the beholder. I think its a fact that lrm core mechs in 2 salvos and you try to defend that state, while everyone else works on removeing poinpoint alphas on other weapons that are not indirect and work too well against cover.

This is not Call of Mechwarrior and therefore there should be no reasonable way to twoshot players.

#82 JingleHell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

View PostJohnnyWayne, on 31 July 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

You know, people said exaktly the same thing a year ago. Invaliding lrms. Why? I supposed that they lose lock when the los breaks.

People are always quick at makeing claimes when they fear consequences regarding their gameplay. Facts always lie in the eye of the beholder. I think its a fact that lrm core mechs in 2 salvos and you try to defend that state, while everyone else works on removeing poinpoint alphas on other weapons that are not indirect and work too well against cover.

This is not Call of Mechwarrior and therefore there should be no reasonable way to twoshot players.

Go look through the last couple of pages for the post where I put up my weapon stats, so we can all watch you desperately try to avoid eating your words.

#83 JohnnyWayne

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:28 AM

And thats the reason other players insult me or the OP (Ok, he's not pretty nice either...)? Because you rarely use lrm? Intresting. The first sentence wasn't related to you, whereas the second was.^^

Edited by JohnnyWayne, 31 July 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#84 Marlowe Lecter

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

View Postakpavker, on 29 July 2013 - 06:03 AM, said:

and i like to poptar so im almost allways in cover.

There is your problem. Standing still in the same spot that provides cover from direct fire does not work against LRMS. You need either speed (I can avoid most LRM shots going ~90KPH) or a tall bit of cover (for example a tall building you can't poptart over or those really tall crystal spires in Tormaline). When I hear those missle warnings I can usually find cover in most maps.

#85 Tezcatli

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

The only time they ever seemed over powered. Is when they have a spider or some other light acting as spotter with tag. Then you're boned. Especially on the Forest map, there just isn't enough suitable cover, and of course teams of lights make any cover a death trap.

The only real gripe to make is that they ALWAYS hit the CT. You have to be doing a ninja back flip through the air pointing only your arse at them, hope they don't hit the CT. I've tried angling and all kinds of maneuvers. Sometimes, it doesn't hit CT if you angle right, other times it just hits. But maps like Rivercity I just use proper cover. The highway I found a nifty cover spot. ;p

Edited by Tezcatli, 31 July 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#86 JingleHell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

View PostJohnnyWayne, on 31 July 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

And thats the reason other players insult me or the OP (Ok, he's not pretty nice either...)? Because you rarely use lrm? Intresting. The first sentence wasn't related to you, whereas the second was.^^

Well, if society as a whole had thicker skin, maybe there would be a still-acceptable way to tell people they're wrong and refusing to accept it.

"You're wrong, for reasons X, Y, and Z" Makes people think they're being belittled for "opinions". Unfortunately, something being an "opinion" requires at least some level of subjectivity. "LRM OP" is an opinion. "LRM OP because you can't avoid them, there's no cover, and if they have a spotter (2v1) or multiple LRM boats (2 or more vs 1) you're just boned" is a mix of refusing to accept reality, and expecting to be able to win all situations where you're being teamed up on, which is unfeasible at best.

#87 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

@OP

You got your wish, the last patch totally fubaared LRMs. You can take the AMS off until they get fixed. I am using 4xPPCs fired 2x2. It's great.

I can count the number of times I have been killed by LRMs since last January on one hand, so you are doing it wrong. If you see and LRMer, be a hard target. Be sneaky. Break multiple locks by shutting down behind something, in 5 seconds they will have new targets. If you can, get within 180 meters and end it. LRMers have low peripheral vision usually because they zoom in.

#88 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

LRMs are very poorly implemented for reasons I will explain below.

1) LRMs are virtually useless against a team with ECM. Hard counters are a bad game design element in any game because playing an LRM boat and not being able to do anything because the other team has ECM simply isnt fun. PGI needs to remove the ability of ECM to hard counters missiles, because ECM isnt supposed to have ANYTHING to do with granting stealth or countering missiles.

2) LRMs are useless unless boated. AMS easily deals with small volleys of missiles and the only way to actually get through AMS and do substantial damage with LRMs is to boat them. Again this is another bad game mechanic considering many canon builds in Battletech only have a single LRM10 launcher. But single LRM10s are useless in MWO

#89 akpavker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 332 posts
  • Locationsydney australia

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

View PostMarlowe Lecter, on 31 July 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

There is your problem. Standing still in the same spot that provides cover from direct fire does not work against LRMS. You need either speed (I can avoid most LRM shots going ~90KPH) or a tall bit of cover (for example a tall building you can't poptart over or those really tall crystal spires in Tormaline). When I hear those missle warnings I can usually find cover in most maps.

i dont remeber saying any thing about standing still in the same spot all the time.......and even if i did the missiles shouldnt be going over building the way thay do!once again i had allready covered this topic read the whole thread and dont put words in other peoples mouths.

#90 JingleHell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

View Postakpavker, on 31 July 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

i dont remeber saying any thing about standing still in the same spot all the time.......and even if i did the missiles shouldnt be going over building the way thay do!once again i had allready covered this topic read the whole thread and dont put words in other peoples mouths.

You should keep in mind that you getting hammered by LRMs has two common factors. LRMs, and you.

The majority of those represented on the forums seem to disagree with you. Unless those people are all worse than you, and missiles are meaner to the top percentile, you should consider that there may be a skill set you can improve before calling for nerfs.

49 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 49 guests, 0 anonymous users