Siesmic Balance Proposal

11 replies to this topic

#1 Garruda

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

After much consideration, I think the best way to balance the siesmic sensor is to force the user to macke a decision how and when to use it. There MUST be a drawback. The current state is that if offers way too much upside with the only drawback being the use of a module slot.

*IF* on the other hand, the sensor was considered an "Active" ping type sensor that you had to turn on and off...this opens up the ability to force the pilot into making a choice. As an example, the active Ping of the Siesmic when turned on would not only provide the enemy location information it does today, but would also reveal YOUR current position to all enemy mechs within a given radius (say 800m). The sensor would have to be on for a minimum of say 5 seconds, so you really would be putting yourself on the line (as well as teammates if you are in a group clustered together).

This gives the pilot a powerful option with situational trade-offs, not short range passive "God-awareness-mode" as a no-brainer one time investment.

Edited by Garruda, 29 July 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

Balance it by making it not a wallhack.

#3 Garruda

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

View PostFupDup, on 29 July 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

Balance it by making it not a wallhack.

Too hard to implement. Will only lead to endless discussions on what qualifies as a "Wall". Additionally, wall permiation adjustment still does not address the issue of the sensor providing too much information with no downside decision on the Pilots part.

#4 Sean von Steinike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

I would just adjust it for the detection range scaled to the weight of the enemy mech. Something along the lines of a 50 ton mech detected at 100m, a 100 ton mech detected at 200m.

#5 Farix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 890 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostGarruda, on 29 July 2013 - 11:58 AM, said:

*IF* on the other hand, the sensor was considered an "Active" ping type sensor that you had to turn on and off...this opens up the ability to force the pilot into making a choice. As an example, the active Ping of the Siesmic when turned on would not only provide the enemy location information it does today, but would also reveal YOUR current position to all enemy mechs within a given radius (say 800m). The sensor would have to be on for a minimum of say 5 seconds, so you really would be putting yourself on the line (as well as teammates if you are in a group clustered together).

That is not how seismic works in the real word. The sensor itself is entirely passive, so there is no "ping" from the listening mech.

#6 Garruda

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

View PostFarix, on 29 July 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

That is not how seismic works in the real word. The sensor itself is entirely passive, so there is no "ping" from the listening mech.

If you are going to the "how things work in the real world" argument, we need to re-evaluate about 50% of the mechanics in this game...

The concept we are working for here is competative balance, not a reality check. That is why they removed the AoE splash damage from the explosion of a reactor. That would surely wipe out any mech in a 100m radius and any chances of players ever loging in ever again.

Edited by Garruda, 29 July 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#7 DeadlyNerd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

Only thing they need to do to seismic is that it gets disrupted while the mech is moving since the mech itself is then generating seismic pulses and confusing the sensor.
That's like 1 if block.

#8 Stoicblitzer

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

remove it. next best thing: what they are doing tomorrow. gg

#9 Screech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:28 PM

I doubt they would remove it, just to bitter a pill.

Plan B: Must be motionless to use. Detectable ranges: 200m Assault 175m Heavy 125m Medium 100m Light.(These adv. ranges)

Edited by Screech, 29 July 2013 - 02:30 PM.

#10 NinetyProof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

1) It's getting nerfed tomorrow ... and that will probably be enough.

2) You do have to "give" up something ... usually either cool shot, cap accell, target info, target decay, etc, etc.

I know on my stalker I would love to run coolshot, target info, and seismic ... but I can't ... so I have to choose.

Solution: Add more Modules that are as good or better then seismic.

The solution is not nerfing it more then it's going to be nerfed tomorrow ... maybe next time wait for a nerf and test it and then see if you still feel as strongly as before. Oh wait ... we are talking about a community of instant-gratification-kiddies ... nvm .. carry on.

Edited by NinetyProof, 29 July 2013 - 03:04 PM.

#11 xCico

• WC 2018 Gold Champ
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

For Christ sake anymore, seismic is based on to read where vibration from enemy mech coming from, no matter what you do it will always be wallhack, ALWAYS!

#12 Kymlaar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 154 posts
  • LocationSeattle Region

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

I don't know what they're doing tomorrow (and don't know how others do), but I think that it would be better to improve the other modules in some way than to weaken this one. With the amount of time and experience that goes into one of these modules, their effect should be defining, not diminutive.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users