Problems with the Clans

198 replies to this topic

#41 MWLL Rad Hanzo

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:24 AM

Balance, as I witnessed it, is not only done by the developers alone ;)

Many players will actively try to find the little nooks, crannies and niches to each and every aspect of the game just to win as they have always done, so the Devs can do only that much.

Good/skilled/versed players have to do their share as well to keep things balanced and not perma "rofl-stomp" the not so good.

And you guys still blah-blahing ´bout technology levels and "Clans being OP"..... ?
BT held it that way : IS has numbers, Clans has "the tech" ...
So I deduce : you guys afraid of going against better tech ? Cant come up with some team-effort to bring down the enemy ?
Need an "I-WIN" button ?

Poor state of affairs then, Gentlemen, for the IS will surely fall to the glorious Clans when defended by such easily cowed warriors.

Until then ...
and be afraid of the "op-Clans" :ph34r:

Edited by MWLL Rad Hanzo, 14 June 2012 - 06:24 AM.

#42 phelancracken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:03 AM

I have one thing to say about the irrelevant and it don't help game play:

BV wins with the balance everytime. Simple, and it gives the clanners the I am outnumbered so have to fight better scenario everytime. Just like the Germans in WW2. they had better armour and weapons. But they didn't have the NUMBERS.

All I see with that is I don't want to have to work for a victory, I want an "I-WIN!!" button everytime. If you don't want to fight the clans, stay out of the clan invasion route. Simple as that.

#43 gamesguy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

View Postphelancracken, on 14 June 2012 - 10:03 AM, said:

I have one thing to say about the irrelevant and it don't help game play:

BV wins with the balance everytime. Simple, and it gives the clanners the I am outnumbered so have to fight better scenario everytime.

BV works fine in tabletop, where one guy controls each side. But who wants to play the weaker side and rely on numbers to win? It's not fun.

Just like the Germans in WW2. they had better armour and weapons. But they didn't have the NUMBERS.

Nonsense, the Germans had inferior weapons and armor for almost the entire war. I wish people would stop repeating this absurd myth.

All I see with that is I don't want to have to work for a victory, I want an "I-WIN!!" button everytime. If you don't want to fight the clans, stay out of the clan invasion route. Simple as that.

This is hilarious, asking for equal balance is somehow asking for an "I-WIN" button. Do you even think before you post?

#44 phinja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

View Postgamesguy, on 14 June 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

Nonsense, the Germans had inferior weapons and armor for almost the entire war. I wish people would stop repeating this absurd myth.

-wondering if you've ever studied history-

Edited by phinja, 14 June 2012 - 11:55 AM.

#45 gamesguy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

View Postphinja, on 14 June 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

-wondering if you've ever studied history-

You know nothing about history if you think the Germans had superior weapons and armor.

Let's play a game, you list the things the Germans had in WWII that were superior to what the allies/russians had and I'll show you why your history channel knowledge was wrong.

Edited by gamesguy, 14 June 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#46 Dexterm

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

I dont see the problem people are having with the thought of clan tech. In the terms of the game its just expac upgrades. If you want to stick with IS tech when the clans arrive then by all means do it and enjoy. In the Bt universe when the clan tech arrived the IS just had to adjust and so will the players of MWO. As time progresses the IS also came out with new mechs and tech to counter the clan tech and im sure that will also be added to the game.

#47 Ubertron X

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 11 June 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

The only problems with the Clans is misinterpreting what they are and what they will bring to the IS.

Only two things to do - welcome them or fear them.

The Clans are just pathetic wannabe warriors hiding behind superior technology.

Every day I can kick their butt or smash in a cockpit of one of their abominations with my mechs bare fists is a good day. ;)

#48 Dexterm

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

View Postgamesguy, on 14 June 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

You know nothing about history if you think the Germans had superior weapons and armor.

Let's play a game, you list the things the Germans had in WWII that were superior to what the allies/russians had and I'll show you why your history channel knowledge was wrong.

Easy, the tiger tank was released in 1941 and no other alli army could match it tank for tank till 1944. the panther was more than a match for the russian t 34. The american sherman and was barley a match for the pzr 4 which was the most produced of the german tanks in WW2. I will give that in air power in terms of desighn it was an even match as far as fighters went. Bombers the allies had a huge advantage. As far as the infantry weapons went it was almost even with a small advantage to the german side due to the mg 42 and later to the stg 44. But as far as armor goes the german were ahead in tech for the war but just way outmatched in terms of numbers. Any historian can tell you that.

#49 Sigmund Sandoval

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 103 posts
  • LocationPlanet Robinson, Draconis March

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

Why don't we just have all clan players start off with an elemental suit. Once they rack up 100 kills on it they can move to a proto mech and then a dasher. /joke. You can't have a mechwarrior game without the boogey men of the clans. You also have to give them all the things that make them unique. Anything other than that is a disservice. If you think game balance is important, that value has to be double for those who feed their families off the profits from this game. Nobody wants to play a broken game.

Lets be more concerned about producing a good base game mechanic or at least see a working game before we bemoan the balance of things that are no way near existence.

#50 phinja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:27 PM

View Postgamesguy, on 14 June 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

Posted Image

#51 gamesguy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

View PostDexterm, on 14 June 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

Easy, the tiger tank was released in 1941 and no other alli army could match it tank for tank till 1944. the panther was more than a match for the russian t 34. The american sherman and was barley a match for the pzr 4 which was the most produced of the german tanks in WW2. I will give that in air power in terms of desighn it was an even match as far as fighters went. Bombers the allies had a huge advantage. As far as the infantry weapons went it was almost even with a small advantage to the german side due to the mg 42 and later to the stg 44. But as far as armor goes the german were ahead in tech for the war but just way outmatched in terms of numbers. Any historian can tell you that.

The tiger tank was deployed in 1942 and a poor tank. It broke down frequently, has a slow turret traversal, terrible optics for gunner(especially target acquisition), and cost far too much to manufacture.

The panther tank shared all of the tiger's faults. A top tier German panzer general(Bayerlein) famously said that the panther tank was worse than the panzer IV and the sherman, and that he would rather have more panzer IVs. This is borne out by Department of War statistics that show only a 1:1.2 KD ratio for the panther despite it being on the defense for the majority of its battles. The Department of War also did a comprehensive study of tank effectiveness and found that the Sherman tank was roughly 3.5 times superior to the panther in all instances. The only time the panther remotely approached the Sherman in terms of effectiveness is when it is on the defense. This conclusion was borne out at Arracourt where the outnumbered 4th armored division equipped with 75mm shermans and with no air cover completely demolished the 5th panzer army equipped with brand new panthers.

Oh and the most produced German tank during WWII was the stug, not the panzer IV. Now the stug was a fine piece of equipment. It was cheap, mechanically reliable, and very effective at its role. As a result the stug killed more allied armor than any other German tank during WWII. The panzer IV was also decent though it lacked many of the better features the Sherman had(sloped armor, wide FOV scope for the gunner, a seperate motor for the turret, etc).

View Postphinja, on 14 June 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

Posted Image

As trolling attempts go this is pretty pathetic.

Edited by gamesguy, 14 June 2012 - 12:34 PM.

#52 phinja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

View Postgamesguy, on 14 June 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

As trolling attempts go this is pretty pathetic.

Posted Image

#53 gamesguy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

View Postphinja, on 14 June 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

Posted Image

View Postphinja, on 14 June 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#54 phinja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

View Postgamesguy, on 14 June 2012 - 12:47 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#55 gamesguy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

Thank you for proving my point.

#56 phinja

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

View Postgamesguy, on 14 June 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

Thank you for proving my point.

Posted Image

#57 Jaroth Corbett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

View PostUbertron X, on 14 June 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

The Clans are just pathetic wannabe warriors hiding behind superior technology.

Which is why they are bred from an early age to fight & practice with live weapons. I guess it is also why only a suicide run could have given the IS a rest from getting ripped apart. Maybe you should do some research before you make idiotic posts like that. I have quoted many sources from within the universe many times, attesting to the fact that the clan warrior is superior to his/her IS counterpart.

Please argue with the source material. Show us the true *** you really are. Please.

Edited by Jaroth Winson, 14 June 2012 - 02:05 PM.

#58 Vodkavaiator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

View PostJaroth Winson, on 14 June 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

I guess it is also why only a suicide run could have given the IS a rest from getting ripped apart.

To be fair the outcome of many wars in history have been decided by a (series of) event(s) or occurrences which happened to benefit one side as opposed to the other. (A particular general dieing, a gross tactical/strategical miscalculation of one side, change of weather, etc.)

One could just as easily criticize the military competence of the clans if all it took was one "suicide run" to halt their entire invasion. ;)

---------

However, in respect to both sides I think it is a bit simplistic to claim that the either side was lacking in skilled, brave and competent soldiers/leaders/etc.

Naturally the opposite is true as well, both the IS and Clans have their fair share of negative characters.

Edited by Vodkavaiator, 14 June 2012 - 02:32 PM.

#59 Naglinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 975 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

Lol, really??? The Clan culture is stagnant? I suppose the "Great" Houses of the IS have then been greatly enchancing the the technological and culural aspects of the humanity since Kerensky left ;)

#60 Jaroth Corbett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

View PostVodkavaiator, on 14 June 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

One could just as easily criticize the military competence of the clans if all it took was one "suicide run" to halt their entire invasion. ;)

It was red tape not military competence that halted the invasion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users